• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • Apple Closely Monitoring Your iTunes Purchases



    Apple is applying a very watchful eye to your iTunes purchases these days, and it isn't because of widespread reports of user accounts getting hacked and fraudulently charged for hundreds of dollars in downloads that were never authorized. Instead, Apple is monitoring what you buy, when you buy it, and what those patterns reveal about you. As you might suspect, this has something to do with Apple's foray into the lucrative digital advertising arena.

    We're well aware of more than a few iTunes users who are creeped out by Big Brother. Chances are, Apple has heard the same complaints. But the iAd platform means big business both for Apple and the developers it needs to assuage and better compensate in order to keep the best digital content available on iOS. MMi reported yesterday that, for now, developers widely concur that Apple is better than Android for making bank with apps.

    Only days old, iAd will only be as successful as its targeted advertising efforts. And with better than 150 million iTunes digital storefront customers worldwide, that's a whole lot of targets for a whole lot of ads. According to Apple, however, nothing more intrusive than just basic targeting data will be gleaned - such as "demographics, application preferences, musical tastes, movie and television genre interests, and location." Just as importantly, though, Apple is going to study which apps you spend the most time in, as exposure potential is arguably just as crucial for advertisers as the other data.

    Although some Apple loyalists and iTunes customers are uncomfortable with the iAd platform, it shouldn't come as a surprise that Apple is now culling user data from its many account holders for this new enterprise. Since the majority of iAd marketers will spend at least $1 million to participate on the iAd network, Apple has to do whatever it takes to help provide the biggest bang for those very big bucks.
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Apple Closely Monitoring Your iTunes Purchases started by Michael Essany View original post
    Comments 27 Comments
    1. radioboy's Avatar
      radioboy -
      Apple knows what I buy from Apple? SHOCKING!
    1. scatman10's Avatar
      scatman10 -
      I'm not exactly thrilled about the watchful eye. Kinda creeps me out. I think we should have the option whether or not to be monitored.
    1. Sulfer's Avatar
      Sulfer -
      If ads are the only option for some apps I use then i would rather them gather data about my usage trends to help
      Me find new stuff or deals that may be appealing then see **** like tampax commercials or whatnot. Either way apple is doing nothing new compared to what other corporations do. Xbox live for instance?
    1. tremerone's Avatar
      tremerone -
      Shocker of the century!!!!
    1. radioboy's Avatar
      radioboy -
      Quote Originally Posted by tremerone View Post
      Shocker of the century!!!!
      Almost as shocking as when Captain Renault discovered gambling was going on at Rick's.

      But seriously. You know how when you walk into your local coffee shop and the barista has your medium coffee with cream and 2 sugars ready by time you reach the counter? It's that on a grand scale.
    1. OPTICS's Avatar
      OPTICS -
      Oh noooooooeeesssss!!! Apple will now know that I'm cheap and that I only download free apps every other week!!! ... Its not my fault some paid apps eventually turn free for a day....
    1. marnix1991's Avatar
      marnix1991 -
      it's like in the (for now) last episode of futurama "attack of the killer app"
    1. rhart96's Avatar
      rhart96 -
      Quote Originally Posted by OPTICS View Post
      Oh noooooooeeesssss!!! Apple will now know that I'm cheap and that I only download free apps every other week!!! ... Its not my fault some paid apps eventually turn free for a day....
      Lmao i love the free app a day. I always check for when the good apps come out
    1. bhz1's Avatar
      bhz1 -
      Quote Originally Posted by radioboy View Post
      Almost as shocking as when Captain Renault discovered gambling was going on at Rick's.

      But seriously. You know how when you walk into your local coffee shop and the barista has your medium coffee with cream and 2 sugars ready by time you reach the counter? It's that on a grand scale.
      Yeah, great until the day you decide you want a frappuccino instead.
    1. one1's Avatar
      one1 -
      Quote Originally Posted by radioboy View Post
      Apple knows what I buy from Apple? SHOCKING!
      Seeerrriioouuusslyy. A computer company keeping digital record and doing analytics? Never!

      Next we will be told everyone with an iPhone uses mobile safari and apple knows.
    1. tudtran's Avatar
      tudtran -
      Stalker
    1. Apple HotTips's Avatar
      Apple HotTips -
      You can chose. Apple hasn't told anybody really about it, but if you do not want to be targeted on the iAds services, you can opt-out of this by visiting http://oo.apple.com from your iDevice. There is no additional steps, you will be removed immediately, and will not have targeting info sent to Apple.

      NOTE: by doing this, you may not recieve ads that are relevant to you as often, and you cannot opt-in again (at this time)
    1. reyg25atx's Avatar
      reyg25atx -
      They see all!
    1. one1's Avatar
      one1 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Apple HotTips View Post
      You can chose. Apple hasn't told anybody really about it, but if you do not want to be targeted on the iAds services, you can opt-out of this by visiting http://oo.apple.com from your iDevice. There is no additional steps, you will be removed immediately, and will not have targeting info sent to Apple.

      NOTE: by doing this, you may not recieve ads that are relevant to you as often, and you cannot opt-in again (at this time)
      That's a big ten-fail good buddy. Apple closes the iTunes store for iPhone users who don't want to share their location
    1. kuhndsn's Avatar
      kuhndsn -
      I mean really?!? They do that!!!! Good lord people Of course they know duh!!!! What news flash is next???the us gov is tracking who they give ssn's too.
    1. cypherpunk's Avatar
      cypherpunk -
      Weren't they doing this already? I mean, how else would their app store "genius" feature work?
    1. whereswaldo's Avatar
      whereswaldo -
      Quote Originally Posted by marnix1991 View Post
      it's like in the (for now) last episode of futurama "attack of the killer app"
      not trying to be a smartass, but the last futurama episode was titled "The Devils Hands Are Idle Playthings"
    1. CaptainChaos's Avatar
      CaptainChaos -
      I always feel like somebody's watching meeeeeeeeee. Sing it with me now!
    1. awesomeSlayer's Avatar
      awesomeSlayer -
      Is Apple using the webcam to monitor my purchases? Without the light on?
    1. CaptainChaos's Avatar
      CaptainChaos -
      Yes. And the FBI listens in on you when you talk to Lola