• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • TomTom Car Kit Incompatible with iPod Touch


    Apple Insider has learned today that the soon-to-be released TomTom Car Kit navigation dock will "not enable GPS functionality for the corresponding App Store software on the iPod touch and first-generation iPhone."

    Although there has been some confusion about this revelation on various message boards around the web today, here's the real scoop. As we already know, the Kit dock is, indeed, compatible with all iPhone models. However, the TomTom app is only compatible with the iPhone 3GS and iPhone 3G, no matter if the
    dock is connected to a first-generation iPhone or iPod touch.

    Since it appeared for order on the Apple Store last week, the hardware's Web page has read: "Note: The TomTom app for iPhone is not included with this TomTom Car Kit. The Car Kit dock is compatible with all iPhone models, but the Car Kit app only works with iPhone 3GS and iPhone 3G."
    According to Apple Insider, an inquiry as to whether any updates would eventually be provided to change this situation was met with a canned response. At this time, TomTom will not make "any public announcements."

    In other words, don't hold your breath for an update any time soon. This news comes as a great disappoint to many hoping that the TomTom iPhone Car Kit and its corresponding navigation app would be compatible with the iPod touch or original iPhone. Initial reports, after all, hinted that the oldest version of the iPhone or the touch would work with the TomTom Car Kit and navigation app.

    If you haven't already noticed, it's been a rough going for TomTom as their latest offering finally rolls out.

    The Car Kit was expected to arrive this summer, but was delayed until October without any specific reason given. Given that the $119.95 hardware is listed as shipping in two to three weeks from the Apple Store, it would appear that the October deadline will also be missed. The hardware is not necessary to use the TomTom navigation software that is currently available in the iPhone App Store, but it will amplify the GPS signal for the iPhone 3G and iPhone 3GS.
    Image via Apple Insider
    This article was originally published in forum thread: TomTom Car Kit Incompatible with iPod Touch started by Michael Essany View original post
    Comments 50 Comments
    1. charliecat's Avatar
      charliecat -
      Don't much care how it works. Can't say for the Touch as I haven't tried it but I can say that the setup works with a 2g. Perhaps someone would like to try it with a Touch and put this issue to bed.
    1. wizardrr's Avatar
      wizardrr -
      Quote Originally Posted by charliecat View Post
      Don't much care how it works. Can't say for the Touch as I haven't tried it but I can say that the setup works with a 2g. Perhaps someone would like to try it with a Touch and put this issue to bed.
      hmmm got my carkit yesterday, and i own 2 iphones one 3G and a 2G well ik can say they both work in the tomtom carkit BUT...
      i have a problem on the 2g with sound, the spoken directions are not heared from the build in speaker...very strange though...but navigation is working like a charm

      greetzzzz
    1. ima80baby's Avatar
      ima80baby -
      Quote Originally Posted by kuhndsn View Post
      It does work and doesnt need WIFI... The GPS also works without the SIM chip.... 3G and S have a built in GPS chip. The 2G does not. However, the built in TT chip gets the info and passes the cordinance back to the iPhone thru the cable. Which enables the software running on the iPhone to translate the lat/long/speed to make the software work.

      Now.... If you have a 3G or S get a veh cradle for 20bucks and mount it since you already have a gps chip builtin,,, or spend the money and enjoy...

      Personally I have tried TT and Navigon... Navigon is much better IMOP...

      P.O.B's

      DK

      Softtrk Sat Tester,.
      Have you tried using it with the sim removed yourself? or are you just making assumptions being that it isnt even available yet
    1. rwin84's Avatar
      rwin84 -
      big waste of $$
    1. haani's Avatar
      haani -
      Quote Originally Posted by ima80baby View Post
      Have you tried using it with the sim removed yourself? or are you just making assumptions being that it isnt even available yet
      yes u piece of **** if u remove the sim card and connect to tomtom car kit via bluetooth and open any navigation app like tomtom or navigon it will get a GPS signal on iPhone 2G and 3G!!!! GOD u have to the biggest obnoxious looser i have ever seen!!!
    1. ima80baby's Avatar
      ima80baby -
      Quote Originally Posted by haani View Post
      yes u piece of **** if u remove the sim card and connect to tomtom car kit via bluetooth and open any navigation app like tomtom or navigon it will get a GPS signal on iPhone 2G and 3G!!!! GOD u have to the biggest obnoxious looser i have ever seen!!!
      i call bull****! you've tried this on something that hasnt even released yet. and how could you connect it through bluetooth it says nothing of a bluetooth connection on the product description

      p.s. you've never seen me
    1. eaglesteve's Avatar
      eaglesteve -
      ima80baby,

      TomTom, Navigon, Sygic, and NDrive all works with SIM card removed from my 3GS. Like everyone else have been trying to tell you. You do NOT need internet connection to use these Sat Nav software.

      When you use the TomTom car kit, it also lets you use the better GPS chips in it via Bluetooth.
    1. crewxp's Avatar
      crewxp -
      Quote Originally Posted by iMack007 View Post
      Oh ****, you are just too funny!

      you really have little idea of the technologies you pretend to understand. ROFL. You've even changed your argument since your earlier post and are trying to focus our attentions on the facts of no Internet without wifi fir the iPod Touch. Great show young man, but you need to study the basics some more. TomTom's kit contains a GPS chip that will certainly enhance the GPS signal that the inbuilt iPhone's GPS receives. Why? Because the iPhones GPS chip is crap...to put it bluntly :-)

      back to the comedian....it's people like you that hinder capable noobs of learning much quicker with your misinformation. Please don't hurt yourself responding to this...part of growing up is being able to see and admit you're wrong. LMFAO :-)
      You're totally on point. I noticed he changed his argument when he realized he was wrong also, too bad he was wrong on that also. Good thing I quoted him earlier, he even edited one of his first posts. You're right. Point is, he knows too little about technology to be here talking about it.

      I'm officially labeling him a technologic retard.
    1. alexpnn's Avatar
      alexpnn -
      HI ,

      We are a taxi company Hummingbird Cars in London. We provide Airport Transfer service from all london airports.

      We have recently started our new business and we require to buy Car navigation system or Tom Toms . Can anyone suggest which company is the best and where we can get the best deals.

      London Airport Taxi Cab Transfer Service : Your Official London Airport Minicab Car Transfer Service: Airport Cab | Airport Taxi - Heathrow, Gatwick, BAA Stansted, London City, Luton

      Thank you

      Alex
    1. blurred's Avatar
      blurred -
      Update: TOM TOM APP NOW WORKS WITH IPOD TOUCH AND IPHONE 2G + SPECIAL CAR KIT NOW AVAILABLE FOR IPOD TOUCH (79€) BUT WITHOUT FREE SPEECH CONFIG (NO PHONE, SO NO NEED FOR ONE)

      Google Übersetzer

      ok first off delete that spam entry on top of me. we know you want to drive us from the london airport to the moon - great - if i was the forum owner here that website would get a letter from my lawyer for spamming my forum.

      i read this thread and ima80baby must be one of the most annoying stupid trolls i have ever come across in a forum.

      stop talking about stuff you do not understand and just keep letting your dad buy you your iphone 3gs and some other toys and shut up.

      i will break it down for you:

      TOM TOM KIT HAS A GPS RECEIVER BUILT IN - GPS = GLOBAL POSITIONING SYSTEM - THIS GIVES YOU YOUR POSITION BY SATELLITES (THOSE THINGS IN THE SKY - YOU KNOW?!) NO NEED TO HAVE INTERNET BY WIFI (LMAO) AND NO NEED FOR EDGE, 3G OR UMTS

      WHY THE TOM TOM KIT HAS A GPS BUILT IN, WHEN YOUR DAD ALREADY BOUGHT YOU YOUR IPHONE 3GS WITH GPS IN IT?! BECAUSE IT IS MORE POWERFUL SO NAVIGATION WILL WORK BETTER - BUT YOU WON'T NEED THIS TO GO TO TOYSRUS ANYWAY - DON'T WORRY YOUR DAD WILL DRIVE YOU THERE.

      IPOD TOUCH 1G AND 2G - NO GPS BUILT IN
      TOM TOM APP DOES WORK BUT ONLY WITH TOM TOM KIT (SPECIAL EDITION FOR IPOD)
      TOM TOM KIT DOES WORK

      IPHONE 2G - NO GPS BUILT IN
      TOM TOM APP DOES WORK BUT ONLY WITH TOM TOM KIT
      TOM TOM KIT DOES WORK

      IPHONE 3G - GPS BUILT IN
      TOM TOM APP DOES WORK
      TOM TOM KIT DOES WORK

      IPHONE 3GS - GPS BUILT IN
      TOM TOM APP DOES WORK
      TOM TOM KIT DOES WORK

      THANK YOU FOR EXTENDING THIS THREAD AND MAKING PEOPLE WITH KNOWLEDGE LAUGH AT YOUR PETTY ATTEMPTS TO SEEM INTELLIGENT.