• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • TomTom Car Kit Incompatible with iPod Touch


    Apple Insider has learned today that the soon-to-be released TomTom Car Kit navigation dock will "not enable GPS functionality for the corresponding App Store software on the iPod touch and first-generation iPhone."

    Although there has been some confusion about this revelation on various message boards around the web today, here's the real scoop. As we already know, the Kit dock is, indeed, compatible with all iPhone models. However, the TomTom app is only compatible with the iPhone 3GS and iPhone 3G, no matter if the
    dock is connected to a first-generation iPhone or iPod touch.

    Since it appeared for order on the Apple Store last week, the hardware's Web page has read: "Note: The TomTom app for iPhone is not included with this TomTom Car Kit. The Car Kit dock is compatible with all iPhone models, but the Car Kit app only works with iPhone 3GS and iPhone 3G."
    According to Apple Insider, an inquiry as to whether any updates would eventually be provided to change this situation was met with a canned response. At this time, TomTom will not make "any public announcements."

    In other words, don't hold your breath for an update any time soon. This news comes as a great disappoint to many hoping that the TomTom iPhone Car Kit and its corresponding navigation app would be compatible with the iPod touch or original iPhone. Initial reports, after all, hinted that the oldest version of the iPhone or the touch would work with the TomTom Car Kit and navigation app.

    If you haven't already noticed, it's been a rough going for TomTom as their latest offering finally rolls out.

    The Car Kit was expected to arrive this summer, but was delayed until October without any specific reason given. Given that the $119.95 hardware is listed as shipping in two to three weeks from the Apple Store, it would appear that the October deadline will also be missed. The hardware is not necessary to use the TomTom navigation software that is currently available in the iPhone App Store, but it will amplify the GPS signal for the iPhone 3G and iPhone 3GS.
    Image via Apple Insider
    This article was originally published in forum thread: TomTom Car Kit Incompatible with iPod Touch started by Michael Essany View original post
    Comments 50 Comments
    1. ima80baby's Avatar
      ima80baby -
      Quote Originally Posted by awesomeiPod View Post
      Think about a normal GPS device. Where does it get its location and the map? They get the map data from downloading from the Internet, then transfer it to the device. iPhone and iPod touch? Of course, iPod touch needs Wi-Fi to get the location. Even you can get the location, it is not designed for GPS and does no have GPS chip. iPhone is designed for it. Since the iPhone doesn't download the preset map data, it must use EDGE or 3G depending on the generation. TomTom navigation app doesn't download the map data. It uses EDGE and 3G to get the data. How to find its location? Type in the specific location on it, then it would use the EDGE and 3G to find it in TomTom app.
      exactly my point. i'm not talking about there being gps chips in ipods im talking about the ability to download and find your location using an ipod which of course you cannot do without wifi therefore making the tomtom kit incompatible with an ipod which is why i cant figure out why people are surprised that its not compatible
    1. irich25's Avatar
      irich25 -
      .... there's different types of gps, the one itouch has right now isn't really gps it just triangulates its location from surrounding wifi, and the 2g does the same but with cell towers and wifi, and finally the 3gs and 3g can use cell tower + wifi or gps...
    1. tudtran's Avatar
      tudtran -
      Wow. That's another reason not to buy one.
    1. zozodouce's Avatar
      zozodouce -
      No free ride ahhahahaa.
    1. crewxp's Avatar
      crewxp -
      You need wifi to get a GPS signal. How will the navigator know where you are if your position is not triangulated. Its just like trying to use Maps on an iPod touch you can see the map that was loaded when you used it on wifi but it can't tell you where you are at the moment because there is no internet connection. DUH!
      lol @ ima80baby

      Triangulation Algorithms have no bearing on GPS technology. It's a different system of networks entirely. And you don't need a fckin wifi signal to get a GPS signal. You need a GPS chipset to get a GPS signal. If you can't understand this concept (the BASICS of ranged networking), you'll never understand any more. A previous poster was right. You're just digging a hole. Go learn exactly how GPS works before you post here.

      Source: 4+ years with Lockheed.
    1. Xagest's Avatar
      Xagest -
      Wow, my brain hurts.

      GPS has nothing to do with Wifi/Edge/3G. All you need to do to use a GPS is chip and a view to the sky. An internet connection is only needed to download the map from google maps. Most non-subscription GPS devices do NOT have any internet connection whatsoever.
    1. haani's Avatar
      haani -
      Quote Originally Posted by crewxp View Post
      lol @ ima80baby

      Triangulation Algorithms have no bearing on GPS technology. It's a different system of networks entirely. And you don't need a fckin wifi signal to get a GPS signal. You need a GPS chipset to get a GPS signal. If you can't understand this concept (the BASICS of ranged networking), you'll never understand any more. A previous poster was right. You're just digging a hole. Go learn exactly how GPS works before you post here.

      Source: 4+ years with Lockheed.

      exactly think of standalone tomtom devices they have GPS chip and therefore don't need wifi/3G/Edge Connection to get ur location!!! theres now two kinds of GPS chips ones GPS and anther is (which is now most commonly used) AGPS (A stands for Assisted) which uses ur internet connection to enhance ur location but if you have dont have any internet connection GPS will still be able to locate you through satellites. Theres another video I saw that shows iPhone 2G working with tomtom car kit don't know why everyone is thinking ii isn't compatible, it is!!!
    1. shabz_de_don's Avatar
      shabz_de_don -
      Quote Originally Posted by ima80baby View Post
      from one noob to another: the iphone 2g has internet access through edge therefore the gps enhancer inside the kit will give you gps however the iPod touch cannot connect to the internet without wifi. what is it that you dont understand? You need internet access to get GPS whether its through the iphone 3g & 3gs's built in chip or the 2g's edge connection being helped with the kit's gps enhancer chip. for the last time the ipod touch can't get internet access without wifi.



      wifi has everything to do with GPS on an iPod touch why do you think Maps cant find your location when your not connected to wifi, and try using Maps or any GPS based app on an iphone with the sim card removed guess what no GPS without internet access
      therea a big difference between gps and wifi or the 3g connection i thnkk you are refering to GPRS (General Packet Radio Service) not GPS (Global Positioning System) dude gett it right.... egde, 3g is internet based... GPS is satelite based, the iphone 3g and 3gs have a gps chip inside it! itouch and iphone 2g hasnt!
    1. mrangry's Avatar
      mrangry -
      does the kit work on your iphone i take it is the first gen iphone
    1. ima80baby's Avatar
      ima80baby -
      you guys are still missing the point. i'm just giving a reason as to why it isnt compatible with the ipod touch. you guys keep commenting on how the iphone's gps works and the different types of gps this has nothing to do with my posts
    1. supr2nr's Avatar
      supr2nr -
      Quote Originally Posted by ima80baby View Post
      you guys are still missing the point. i'm just giving a reason as to why it isnt compatible with the ipod touch. you guys keep commenting on how the iphone's gps works and the different types of gps this has nothing to do with my posts
      I think what your trying to say is that without a wifi connection (whether it be GSM or Wifi 802.11B/G) the device will not be able to download the actual map data and display it. But your missing what everyone else has been trying to tell you.

      GPS and WIFI work separately. When you use a standard GPS device (say just a normal Tom Tom car GPS device). The map data is not delivered over a wifi connection. Its actually not transferred at all. The application or handheld device already has the current maps loaded but when it receives the longitude and latitude from the GPS satellite (I know its redundant to say that) the handheld device uses those coordinates to show where your at within 10 meters on the map currently already in the system.

      Now, another part of your posts you talk about how the ipod touch is doing the location based services and you have to have wifi for that. That is true. But let me explain how that differs. When an app on the ipod touch says can I find your current location its actually polling what geo-information is loaded on the current IP address you have obtained. So for example if my ipod pulled an ip of 69.1.1.1 and the device polled the geo-information tags on that ip and it showed it was located in Jackson, TN then the program I am using would report back a general location within Jackson, TN. So if you load google maps on your ipod touch and it polls your current location all its actually doing is pulling where your IP is located and then downloading a general map for that location.

      So now your probably saying yah that's what I meant you have to have a wifi connection for it to pull the map down to display it. Well no remember on a sophisticated GPS application like TomTom the maps are already loaded in the application, it just gathers from the GPS signal where your at and then displays the correct map.

      Two separate technologies that work separately.
    1. ima80baby's Avatar
      ima80baby -
      Quote Originally Posted by supr2nr View Post
      I think what your trying to say is that without a wifi connection (whether it be GSM or Wifi 802.11B/G) the device will not be able to download the actual map data and display it. But your missing what everyone else has been trying to tell you.

      GPS and WIFI work separately. When you use a standard GPS device (say just a normal Tom Tom car GPS device). The map data is not delivered over a wifi connection. Its actually not transferred at all. The application or handheld device already has the current maps loaded but when it receives the longitude and latitude from the GPS satellite (I know its redundant to say that) the handheld device uses those coordinates to show where your at within 10 meters on the map currently already in the system.

      Now, another part of your posts you talk about how the ipod touch is doing the location based services and you have to have wifi for that. That is true. But let me explain how that differs. When an app on the ipod touch says can I find your current location its actually polling what geo-information is loaded on the current IP address you have obtained. So for example if my ipod pulled an ip of 69.1.1.1 and the device polled the geo-information tags on that ip and it showed it was located in Jackson, TN then the program I am using would report back a general location within Jackson, TN. So if you load google maps on your ipod touch and it polls your current location all its actually doing is pulling where your IP is located and then downloading a general map for that location.

      So now your probably saying yah that's what I meant you have to have a wifi connection for it to pull the map down to display it. Well no remember on a sophisticated GPS application like TomTom the maps are already loaded in the application, it just gathers from the GPS signal where your at and then displays the correct map.

      Two separate technologies that work separately.
      then why does it work on the 2g? it has no gps in it! you did see it working in the video didnt you?
    1. charliecat's Avatar
      charliecat -
      fyi a 2g iphone using the tomtom app does work with the tomtom car kit. Connection to kit is via bluetooth and there is no wifi involved in the operation.
    1. ima80baby's Avatar
      ima80baby -
      Quote Originally Posted by charliecat View Post
      fyi a 2g iphone using the tomtom app does work with the tomtom car kit. Connection to kit is via bluetooth and there is no wifi involved in the operation.
      of course you dont need wifi it has edge. however how would you connect to the internet with an ipod touch outside of wifi? the fact that the iphone2g can get navigation is confirmation that you dont need a gps chip built into the device you need network access which you aint gonna get on an ipod touch unless you're connected through wifi and you aint gonna get wifi on the road and that is why it is not compatible with the ipod touch
    1. thestrangestick's Avatar
      thestrangestick -
      Quote Originally Posted by ima80baby View Post
      of course you dont need wifi it has edge. however how would you connect to the internet with an ipod touch outside of wifi? the fact that the iphone2g can get navigation is confirmation that you dont need a gps chip built into the device you need network access which you aint gonna get on an ipod touch unless you're connected through wifi and you aint gonna get wifi on the road and that is why it is not compatible with the ipod touch
      Dear Jesus, you have to be the world's biggest tard. The TomTom cradle has a GPS chip inside, making the need for a GPS chips in the iPhone REDUNDANT. The TomTom app comes with all the map data, stored on your iPhone, making the need for an internet connection REDUNDANT. Therefore there is absolutely no reason why this shouldn't work the the iPod Touch and iPhone 2G.

      Seriously guys, 12 year olds like this, why don't you just explain it simply rather than going into a pointless discussion about the technology behind it...
    1. ima80baby's Avatar
      ima80baby -
      Quote Originally Posted by thestrangestick View Post
      Dear Jesus, you have to be the world's biggest tard. The TomTom cradle has a GPS chip inside, making the need for a GPS chips in the iPhone REDUNDANT. The TomTom app comes with all the map data, stored on your iPhone, making the need for an internet connection REDUNDANT. Therefore there is absolutely no reason why this shouldn't work the the iPod Touch and iPhone 2G.

      Seriously guys, 12 year olds like this, why don't you just explain it simply rather than going into a pointless discussion about the technology behind it...
      oh really try using the kit with a 3gs with the sim card removed guess what it wont work. the chip in the kit is just a reception enhancer. you cant use gps apps on the internet if there is no internet

      Quote Originally Posted by thestrangestick View Post
      Dear Jesus, you have to be the world's biggest tard. The TomTom cradle has a GPS chip inside, making the need for a GPS chips in the iPhone REDUNDANT. The TomTom app comes with all the map data, stored on your iPhone, making the need for an internet connection REDUNDANT. Therefore there is absolutely no reason why this shouldn't work the the iPod Touch and iPhone 2G.

      Seriously guys, 12 year olds like this, why don't you just explain it simply rather than going into a pointless discussion about the technology behind it...
      it does work on the 2g watch the video
    1. kuhndsn's Avatar
      kuhndsn -
      Quote Originally Posted by ima80baby View Post
      oh really try using the kit with a 3gs with the sim card removed guess what it wont work. the chip in the kit is just a reception enhancer. you cant use gps apps on the internet if there is no internet



      it does work on the 2g watch the video
      It does work and doesnt need WIFI... The GPS also works without the SIM chip.... 3G and S have a built in GPS chip. The 2G does not. However, the built in TT chip gets the info and passes the cordinance back to the iPhone thru the cable. Which enables the software running on the iPhone to translate the lat/long/speed to make the software work.

      Now.... If you have a 3G or S get a veh cradle for 20bucks and mount it since you already have a gps chip builtin,,, or spend the money and enjoy...

      Personally I have tried TT and Navigon... Navigon is much better IMOP...

      P.O.B's

      DK

      Softtrk Sat Tester,.
    1. iMack007's Avatar
      iMack007 -
      Oh ****, you are just too funny!

      you really have little idea of the technologies you pretend to understand. ROFL. You've even changed your argument since your earlier post and are trying to focus our attentions on the facts of no Internet without wifi fir the iPod Touch. Great show young man, but you need to study the basics some more. TomTom's kit contains a GPS chip that will certainly enhance the GPS signal that the inbuilt iPhone's GPS receives. Why? Because the iPhones GPS chip is crap...to put it bluntly :-)

      back to the comedian....it's people like you that hinder capable noobs of learning much quicker with your misinformation. Please don't hurt yourself responding to this...part of growing up is being able to see and admit you're wrong. LMFAO :-)
    1. cpjr's Avatar
      cpjr -
      Quote Originally Posted by ima80baby View Post
      oh really try using the kit with a 3gs with the sim card removed guess what it wont work. the chip in the kit is just a reception enhancer. you cant use gps apps on the internet if there is no internet



      it does work on the 2g watch the video
      Havent been following this thread....but....you just contradicted yourself heavily.

      Having a simcard in the phone has nothing to do with the GPS functionality.

      The cradle DOES have a GPS chipset built in (SiRF Star 3) which is actually a pretty damn good receiver (Much better than the 3g/3gs crap receiver). Which is why it will work with a 2g iphone....which obviously DOESNT have a GPS built in. Its not "enhancing" the signal only.....its creating it.

      And yeah obviously if you were using navigation software that had online mapping you would need an internet connection....

      But all the good Navi software out for the iphone (TomTom, Navigon, Copilot, etc) store all the maps on the iphone so NO internet connection is needed whatsoever.

      Why doesnt it work with an iPod Touch......thats retarded. It should.
    1. shabz_de_don's Avatar
      shabz_de_don -
      Quote Originally Posted by cpjr View Post
      Havent been following this thread....but....you just contradicted yourself heavily.

      Having a simcard in the phone has nothing to do with the GPS functionality.

      The cradle DOES have a GPS chipset built in (SiRF Star 3) which is actually a pretty damn good receiver (Much better than the 3g/3gs crap receiver). Which is why it will work with a 2g iphone....which obviously DOESNT have a GPS built in. Its not "enhancing" the signal only.....its creating it.

      And yeah obviously if you were using navigation software that had online mapping you would need an internet connection....

      But all the good Navi software out for the iphone (TomTom, Navigon, Copilot, etc) store all the maps on the iphone so NO internet connection is needed whatsoever.

      Why doesnt it work with an iPod Touch......thats retarded. It should.
      i couldnt of said if any better