• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • Apple, Eminem's music publisher settle out of court

    Image via joonbug.com

    A lawsuit between Eminem's music publisher and Apple has been resolved... although there are no guarantees that Eminem won't continue the grudge in an upcoming song.

    For now, the issue has been settled after five days of trial in federal court. Apple and Eminem's publisher, Eight Mile Style, finally reached an agreement Thursday night that neither side wants to talk about, according to the Detroit Free Press.

    The dispute centered around royalties on 93 songs that Apple has been selling on its iTunes music store under an agreement with Dr. Dre's Aftermath Records, which controls the rapper's recordings.

    Eight Mile attorney Richard Busch had said that Eminem’s contract with record company Aftermath Records did not give the company the right to make his songs available for download on Apple's popular iTunes service.
    As a result, Eight Mile Style claimed copyright infringement. seeking $2.58 million in damages — their estimate of how much Apple has made off of sales of the music.

    Howard Hertz, attorney for Eight Mile Style LLC, told the Free Press that the parties settled the case Thursday night with the “mutual satisfaction of both sides.”
    The dispute is one that we may see play out again and again in the coming months between Apple and other recording labels. At the heart of the matter was who had the right to authorize downloads of Eminem's music on iTunes. As more and more music publishers rely less on physical CDs and more on digital sales to perpetuate their financial and media success, similar sticky situations could pop up around the music industry in strong numbers,

    If you recall, this sort of problem can be traced back to 2007 when, once again, Eight Mile Style sued Apple claiming that Eminem's hit "Lose Yourself" was not authorized for an iTunes TV commercial that used the song. Like this matter, that dispute was similarly settled out of court.
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Apple, Eminem's music publisher settle out of court started by Michael Essany View original post
    Comments 42 Comments
    1. knguyen's Avatar
      knguyen -
      Quote Originally Posted by mattharris85 View Post
      i agree. however eminem is only good at making fun of people on songs, otherwise his stuff is pretty average.
      I too agree. He's only good when he's pissed off. An example is The Warning. He sounds a lot more like he used. But other than that, I really haven't heard of anything good from him lately.

      Yea Weezy is sick. Naz would kill Jay-Z
    1. brotherbond007's Avatar
      brotherbond007 -
      WOW. I guess I pushed a lot of buttons. For all you people that responded to my post. I respect your opinion. Its a free country, I stated my thoughts. And not everybody listens to him. And really Aftermath was responsible for doing this in the first place, so I am sure EM got his royalties from the deal from Aftermath and then sued Apple on the back end. Smart...for a rapper.
    1. dillonsmith9147's Avatar
      dillonsmith9147 -
      Quote Originally Posted by santaf View Post
      hah this reminds me the other day when i was moving into my apartament at college i put on some hip hop music by The Grynch a local seattle artist and he's a small white guy that looks really geeky but he's really good. my mom turns to me and says "you know who i havn't heard of and jsut seems to have disappeared? eminem."
      because Eminem + Relapse = Epic Failure
    1. SnowLeo's Avatar
      SnowLeo -
      Quote Originally Posted by zozodouce View Post
      haahahaa jay-z is the best alive dude.
      THANK YOU! At least someone knows what real rap is like. Not some of this white trash eminem. Who gives a s*** about eminem HE CANT RAP! he ruins the song Forever with drake, weezy, and west. The Blueprint III is the realest s***. If you want to listen to some real rap dont buy some trashy white garbage s*** and get The Blueprint III. Cause a real rapper like Jay-Z aint pussy enough to go and sue apple for putting his songs on itunes when hes already makin 10s of millions a year.
    1. Bernie-Mac's Avatar
      Bernie-Mac -
      Quote Originally Posted by dillonsmith9147 View Post
      because Eminem + Relapse = Epic Failure
      Lmao ok, Stay Wide Awake, Insane, Deja Vu, Beautiful, Underground, Same Song & Dance all epic songs.
    1. mattharris85's Avatar
      mattharris85 -
      As i recall in an interview with lil wayne, he said he got a call from jay-z(who at that time was the best) and he told wayne "i see you there" meaning i know your comin for me.
      And I've been to both a jay-z and lil wayne concert and wayne was by far the illest.
    1. jetfuel495's Avatar
      jetfuel495 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Rota View Post
      This guy sure is full of himself. Everything is "copyright infringement" anymore.
      He isn't the only one who seems full of himself
      Quote Originally Posted by 4n4c0nd4 View Post
      Who are you to decide what IS and ISN'T Modmyi.com worthy? This site discusses a very diverse array of topics involving Apple, et cetera, and this story is just another added to the stockpile.

      While you may not be interested in a story involving Eminem, this story still goes on record to prove, once again, Apple's lack of respect and acknowledgment for copyright infringement.
      Well said, good sir
      Quote Originally Posted by awesomeiPod View Post
      Seriously, rap is sh*t music with broken English.
      Judging by the font in your avatar and sig, you must be a Metallica fan. Therefore, your opinion is voided. Megadeth ftw.
      Quote Originally Posted by riku98523 View Post
      Rap is garbage kthxbai.
      So is your ill-informed opinion.
      Quote Originally Posted by ima80baby View Post
      Best Rapper Alive.
      I wouldn't say that.
      Quote Originally Posted by zozodouce View Post
      haahahaa jay-z is the best alive dude.
      I REALLY wouldn't say that. Em murdered Jay on his own song. Check "Renegade" if you don't believe me.

      Apple needs to really stop screwing with people, eh? Pretty soon they'll be Skynet and the world will be overrun by them. It's too bad they settled out of court, I'd have rather seen Apple lose a case just to help keep them in check.

      EDIT:

      Quote Originally Posted by mattharris85 View Post
      As i recall in an interview with lil wayne, he said he got a call from jay-z(who at that time was the best) and he told wayne "i see you there" meaning i know your comin for me.
      And I've been to both a jay-z and lil wayne concert and wayne was by far the illest.
      Try seeing Cypress Hill, Busta Rhymes, or Necro live. They all put on a better show than Lil Wayne.

      4n4c0nd4 said it best.
    1. KING_MATH3RS's Avatar
      KING_MATH3RS -
      Wow some people are so ignerant lol eminem rules and whiever says rap is garbafe i agree todays rap sucks but tupac ice t ice cube dr.dre there a real gangster not like todays rappers lil wayne ect but eminem rules hes freaking awesome almost the best rapper ever in my opinion lol he is. And why would he go after dre? Dre discovered him.
    1. mattharris85's Avatar
      mattharris85 -
      Quote Originally Posted by KING_MATH3RS View Post
      tupac ice t ice cube dr.dre LIL WAYNE are real gangsters
      fixed
    1. KING_MATH3RS's Avatar
      KING_MATH3RS -
      Quote Originally Posted by mattharris85 View Post
      fixed
      Haha nice one but ide never say that lil wayne sucks you cant even
      understand him haha
    1. mattharris85's Avatar
      mattharris85 -
      Well we will have to agree to disagree then. Like I said in an earlier post his show back in August was insane, when he did got money there was money being thrown everywhere, and then when he did kush everyone started lightin up.
    1. KING_MATH3RS's Avatar
      KING_MATH3RS -
      Everyones intitled to their own opinion but i dont say he qualifys as a REAL GANGSTER he didnt have a hard life like tupac did i meen yay eminem rules but all be did was have a hard child hood tupac didnt have a father lived in thr ghetto went to jail as a kid was so poor he had to sell drugs to make money and like ice t he was a PIMP litterally and Tupac had it so mad when he finally started to get out of all that stuff he was shot at and killed he was a re gsngster RIP Tupac Shakur
    1. mattharris85's Avatar
      mattharris85 -
      Truth but you should read about Wayne. He never had a father(he was later adopted by birdman), grew up in the ghetto(New Orleans the hollygrove projects), and shot himself when he was like 9. But as you said everyone is entitled to their own opinion
    1. jetfuel495's Avatar
      jetfuel495 -
      This King Mathers fellow types like he's 10. Seriously.

      A note to Apple: expect to be insulted on Relapse 2.
    1. mdc929's Avatar
      mdc929 -
      lil wayne = best rapper alive
      thank you
    1. jetfuel495's Avatar
      jetfuel495 -
      Anyone who thinks lil Wayne is the best is obviously ignorant and too brainwashed to think for themselves. If anyone disagrees, handle this through private messages, NOT as spam in a news article.
    1. Zeal's Avatar
      Zeal -
      Quote Originally Posted by brotherbond007 View Post
      Who listens to this guys music? really...his beef should have been with Dr. Dre and Aftermath right. This is not Modmyi.com worthy please remove..
      I do.
    1. awesomeSlayer's Avatar
      awesomeSlayer -
      Quote Originally Posted by jetfuel495 View Post
      Judging by the font in your avatar and sig, you must be a Metallica fan. Therefore, your opinion is voided. Megadeth ftw.
      You can't judge someone by the fonts and avatar. Metallica fan, you say? Only the good albums, but not a huge fan. I like the font as well and I listen more than just Metallica like Led Zeppelin. Therefore, my opinion is valid and you can't do anything about it.
    1. jetfuel495's Avatar
      jetfuel495 -
      Zeppelin was, is, and always will be overrated. Sure, they were great, and they were pioneers, but they weren't anything amazing. The only reason they get so much credit and fame is because they started something new.

      And it seems you missed my point entirely. You're naming off different guitar-oriented bands and trying to pass yourself off as someone who has a broad taste in music. Guess what, I'm not buying it.

      Your opinion isn't invalid because you're a Metallica fan. Your opinion is invalid because you're apparently narrow minded and ignorant and you talk crap about things you know nothing of.

      And for the record, Endgame is far better than Death Magnetic.