• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • Apple Appoints Ex-NSA, Navy Officer New Global Security Director


    Apple has hired cybersecurity expert David Rice - a former NSA and Navy official - as its new "Director of Global Security." Rice is expected to take the helm in early March, as his appointment comes to help mitigate the growing concerns of client security on iDevices. As Apple ramps up its sales pitches to big business and large government agencies, the "security implications of iPhones and iPads running on their networks" must be addressed from a trusted source. It now appears that Rice will be that source.

    After graduating from the U.S. Naval Academy in 1994, Rice went on to serve as a Global Network Vulnerability analyst for the National Security Agency and as a "Special Duty Cryptologic officer" for the US Navy. In terms of experience combating cyber security threats, Rice is the real deal. Former executive director of the Monterey Group - a cybersecurity consulting firm - Rice also remains on the faculty of IANS, a prominent information security research company. According to CNET, Rice was even involved with the U.S. Cyber Consequences Unit, a nonprofit organization that "researches the potential for cyberattacks and their impact." And the resume rolls on...

    While little is presently known about the attributes of the iPhone 5, many industry analysts believe the fifth generation Apple handset will be light on new bells and whistles and, instead, heavily showcase new security features. As Apple continues to promote its smartphone as the ultimate business tool, the Cupertino-tech giant now finds itself in need of some hardcore security muscle to prove that the iPhone is every bit as "safe" as it is sexy.

    CNET
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Apple Appoints Ex-NSA, Navy Officer New Global Security Director started by Michael Essany View original post
    Comments 34 Comments
    1. Xenthis's Avatar
      Xenthis -
      Quote Originally Posted by Zokunei View Post
      Easy. Use their push server to remotely lock you out until you update. They already do something like this with the FindMyiPhone, don't they?
      Probably... Ahh, the joys of having a jailbroken iPhone...
      You never know what you're gonna get.
    1. Lombardo Joe's Avatar
      Lombardo Joe -
      Quote Originally Posted by Zokunei View Post
      Easy. Use their push server to remotely lock you out until you update. They already do something like this with the FindMyiPhone, don't they?
      Airplane mode forever, then. I'm not going down without a fight.
    1. StealthBravo's Avatar
      StealthBravo -
      Oh it's coming just like how they do ATV
    1. onthezone's Avatar
      onthezone -
      Quote Originally Posted by j_alicea View Post
      I think this is being read into incorrectly...I really doubt Apple has brought this guy in to try and stop Jailbreaking...

      The article, as it stands is talking about securing information, because of the enterprise and governmental markets that Apple is pushing for. For that reason, they would want someone like this on their side, to ease the minds of the corporations/government agencies considering using the iPhone. For these companies/agencies, the security of information is vital, and would require the highest security measures possible.

      That being said, as a result of him coming on board, it is possible that it could make Jailbreaking more difficult. But only time will tell.

      I love my iPhone, jailbroken or not. I love it more when it is jailbroken, but I personally would not switch to another phone even if I couldn't Jailbreak anymore.

      So, if your that unhappy with Apple and the restrictions on the iPhone, just do something about it and stop complaining...if you're smart enough, figure out a way to jailbreak yourself...otherwise switch to Android so we don't have to hear you constantly whining...
      I'm not sure who your talking to but no one was whining, just standing how apple cares so much about jailbreaking than adding features. I feel the same way about jailbreaking, it doesn't benefit me that much but look at all the features we could of had if they put the jailbreaking resources into features we would be full of features.
    1. EskimoRuler's Avatar
      EskimoRuler -
      Yea he seems more like a symbol not a threat. Kind of like a president, might not do much but it sounds good say you have him on your team.
    1. StealthBravo's Avatar
      StealthBravo -
      Quote Originally Posted by EskimoRuler View Post
      Yea he seems more like a symbol not a threat. Kind of like a president, might not do much but it sounds good say you have him on your team.
      Haha true
    1. High_Voltage's Avatar
      High_Voltage -
      So they expect AquaMan To stop Jailbreaking? Ohhk...
    1. hitman10's Avatar
      hitman10 -
      Quote Originally Posted by j_alicea View Post
      I think this is being read into incorrectly...I really doubt Apple has brought this guy in to try and stop Jailbreaking...

      The article, as it stands is talking about securing information, because of the enterprise and governmental markets that Apple is pushing for. For that reason, they would want someone like this on their side, to ease the minds of the corporations/government agencies considering using the iPhone. For these companies/agencies, the security of information is vital, and would require the highest security measures possible.

      That being said, as a result of him coming on board, it is possible that it could make Jailbreaking more difficult. But only time will tell.

      I love my iPhone, jailbroken or not. I love it more when it is jailbroken, but I personally would not switch to another phone even if I couldn't Jailbreak anymore.

      So, if your that unhappy with Apple and the restrictions on the iPhone, just do something about it and stop complaining...if you're smart enough, figure out a way to jailbreak yourself...otherwise switch to Android so we don't have to hear you constantly whining...
      buddy are you reading the same thread as i am?
    1. dillonsmith9147's Avatar
      dillonsmith9147 -
      well if they hired him to sop jailbreaking, two things happen, one that scares me and one that makes me laugh, if a jailbreak is found in iOS 5, assuming that will be his priority
      1 our national security sucks and could easily be taken over
      2 they higher idiots compared to the hackers in the cyber world
    1. steve-z17's Avatar
      steve-z17 -
      NSA, that's where I'm going when I graduate! They're building a huge NSA building just 20 min from where I live, it's going to be sweet.
    1. CX3NT3_713's Avatar
      CX3NT3_713 -
      Damn!!! It's just "jailbreaking", why they gotta hire this dude for? Lol
    1. vantheman169's Avatar
      vantheman169 -
      I dont think this guy will have anything on the iPhone Dev team. If there's a will there's a way. Good luck mr. nsa doochbag. #FAIL

      Overpaid in the military and really overpaid by Apple. Great and for what, doing what we want to do to our devices? Because i want a pull to refresh on my mail? Because i like to make a ringtone out of songs i already own and actually use it as a ringtone or a different SMS? Come on, jailbreaking tweaks are endless! Get over yourself APPLE you will never stop us from jailbreaking, and if you do, i will throw my shiny iPhone on ebay and go for something else. But for now iPhone all the way.
    1. Prox's Avatar
      Prox -
      This is simply a board game a race. When apple moves, we'll move faster.
    1. Snozberries's Avatar
      Snozberries -
      Quote Originally Posted by Captinsmooth View Post
      This is epic....lol You think if the iphone 5 gets jailbroke under his watch, that he will be shamed and fired?
      Hope Mr. NSA gets a hefty parting gift when he gets let go. With the drop of the i5 and this guys sick resume, it's gonna make the fued between JB-Devs a giant hug/brawl as to see who makes this guy go back to Annapolis and relearn pascal 2.0.
      And for you Mr. NSA - PEACE.