• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • New Themes Section Comes to Cydia


    Saurik has updated Cydia to reveal another exciting new feature to the premiere jailbreak app. He's added a new "Themes" store right on the front page, allowing easy access to Themes, specifically designed for your specific screen.

    Upon tapping the new Themes button, the landing page asks whether you'd like to look at HD (retina display) or SD (iPhone 2G, 3G, 3GS) themes. There's also a 'Featured Artisits' section. Tapping on any of these will bring up tons of downloadable themes that can easily be added via Winterboard. The Theme Store offers both free and paid themes for download. Each of themes have a design page that allows the user to see the theme before it is bought and downloaded.

    Saurik writes that he "is not in charge of updating this area" and that users can expect to see "biweekly" updates to the Theme Store from the artists. Saurik also adds that with the release of Cydia version 1.1 "immanent", users will soon be able to directly nominate artists so that they may be added to the Featured Artists section, and that once Cydia is updated, Winterboard will then be updated accordingly. EDIT 01/23/11: ModMyi, MacCiti, and PlanetiPhones are responsible for choosing who goes into this theme section every couple weeks.

    As the project gets underway, Saurik has asked the theme community to provide suggestions on IRC by joining #winterboard on irc.saurik.com. With this added feature and a new release coming very soon, Cydia, Jailbreakiing, and Theming look more exciting than ever. It can be expected that this new Theme Store, directly accessed from Cydia, and part of the ongoing project to create a complete index of all Cydia packages, will bring an influx of Theme Artists who may have otherwise fallen through the woodwork.

    Here some screens from the new Themes Store, make sure to check out the new section for yourself:





    Source:
    Cydia
    This article was originally published in forum thread: New Themes Section Comes to Cydia started by Matt Savoca View original post
    Comments 66 Comments
    1. klouud's Avatar
      klouud -
      Nice job Jay! The only problem is that (no offense) the majority of the themes are MMI themes... The best ones are on Deviant Art and MacThemes.

      I foresee this being a great profit harvester for great themers.... this makes me want to finish my WIP them...
    1. ronfin44's Avatar
      ronfin44 -
      *EDIT*

      Just went to check-out the Cydia update and themes section, and it's EXACTLY what I assumed a few moments ago. Saurik has updated the way we can get to the themes, but it's the same crappy themes that were on there before and wayyyy over-priced. Junk. I'll stick to going to MacThemes Forum / iOS Releases and installing them manually. The quality is much better there, and most of them are free.
    1. k.nitsua's Avatar
      k.nitsua -
      Quote Originally Posted by ronfin44 View Post
      Pretty sure you're wrong, and it was pretty shady of Saurik to kindly ask ThemeIt to delay their release and then all-of-a-sudden he drops this? C'mon, that's just weak. He asked them to delay their release intentionally so he had time to get this up and running. Sorry I'm pointing out the obvious. ThemeIt just looks better, and even though Saurik has given us a new way to see themes on Cydia, it doesn't change the fact that they'll still be the old non-updated ones like before regardless of what text he's written to promise otherwise.

      (Prove me wrong Cydia)
      1) Saurik didn't ask Theme It to delay their release. He understood Theme It was an answer to something that Cydia was lacking, and Saurik was going to - in time - provide those features. He told Theme It that they did not need to be released at all because he doesn't want fragmentation in the community (which is now being done).

      2) This theme update was being worked on since December. Although it was something that was being worked on, Saurik DID go public with it to several individuals (myself included) once Theme It was publicly announced. But it was always in the work and only held back from the lack of a general index in Cydia (which is now in place to make the featured theme section and sections like it easier to maintain).

      3) Theme It is BEAUTIFUL and well designed, I agree. Cydia IS being re-worked on and, I'm hoping, it'll be more aesthetically pleasing.

      4) The featured theme section is EASIER now to maintain this time around than before. Before, it was done ENTIRELY by hand, and that hand was Saurik's. It was way to cumbersome to maintain realistically - which is one of the reasons why it was abandoned (also Saurik was busy with the Rock acquisition). ALSO, this time around, Saurik is not in charge of updating the featured theme section this time around. There is a committee encompassing selected members of ModMyi and MacCiti that will be in charge of creating this list every 2 weeks.

      Hope this answered a couple of questions.
    1. ronfin44's Avatar
      ronfin44 -
      Well thanks, but I didn't really ask or have any questions. However, can we stop trying to cloak "Competition" with the word "fragmentation"? Enough already. I would LOVE to see other developers compete with Cydia and even create more alternatives to having JUST Cydia to purchase/install these kind of themes and apps that Apple doesn't approve of. It was sad when Rock went under and we went back to having just Cydia to use. Any monopoly is NEVER good for ANYTHING, and trying to say "I don't wanna see fragmentation...blah blah blah" is his excuse at deterring competition.

      He did ask [them] to delay their release for whatever reason if you read what was said earlier, so I don't understand why you say otherwise. *EDIT* Here's the statement and link, unless MMi is reporting erroneously:

      ThemeIt: A New Theme Store App Brings Competition to Cydia

      "In fact, Saurik has already been in touch with the folks behind ThemeIt, and has politely asked that they hold back on releasing such a product, but ThemeIt is keeping it's plans to release."
    1. Raptors's Avatar
      Raptors -
      Couldn't the creator of themeiT directly work with jay, & implement their work into Cydia itself. That would have been the best solution.

      I see a lot of issues coming up afterthe release. Themeit should have been a section in Cydia or something
    1. k.nitsua's Avatar
      k.nitsua -
      Quote Originally Posted by ronfin44 View Post
      Well thanks, but I didn't really ask or have any questions. However, can we stop trying to cloak "Competition" with the word "fragmentation"? Enough already. I would LOVE to see other developers compete with Cydia and even create more alternatives to having JUST Cydia to purchase/install these kind of themes and apps that Apple doesn't approve of. It was sad when Rock went under and we went back to having just Cydia to use. Any monopoly is NEVER good for ANYTHING, and trying to say "I don't wanna see fragmentation...blah blah blah" is his excuse at deterring competition.

      He did ask [them] to delay their release for whatever reason if you read what was said earlier, so I don't understand why you say otherwise. *EDIT* Here's the statement and link, unless MMi is reporting erroneously:

      ThemeIt: A New Theme Store App Brings Competition to Cydia

      "In fact, Saurik has already been in touch with the folks behind ThemeIt, and has politely asked that they hold back on releasing such a product, but ThemeIt is keeping it's plans to release."
      I say otherwise because I received those emails personally. It wasn't necessarily asking them to HOLD BACK release, but to re-evaluate the need for it at all due to the face that the changes Theme It intends to bring and augment are the changes being brought to Cydia in time.

      Personally, I believe in competition. However, I'm keeping my own beliefs aside and just giving you guys the actual facts of the case.
    1. c0dy's Avatar
      c0dy -
      Competition is good for business!
    1. mvhurlburt's Avatar
      mvhurlburt -
      Quote Originally Posted by KBI2113 View Post
      This post isn't about ThemeIt, so take that story here- ThemeIt: A New Theme Store App Brings Competition to Cydia
      I'm personally excited about this update. Anything new that I can learn more about is always a positive.
      Uh excuse me? My post was in regards to saurik's response with the CYDIA THEME store in response to Themeit. I'm not taking my post anywhere as it was an entirely relevant criticism/question as to what saurik's motive are with such a move. While it is clear that it will, in the end, benefit the end user there is still a question of motivation. Why did it take a competing entity for saurik to clean up cydia? Again I'll pose the question: for purposes of control or to avoid fragmentation? While it is great that saurik tidied things, which has been long overdue IMO, and while it is also great to see that another group of people will be enhancing the user experience in regards to themes with Themeit something is still a bit fishy about saurik's timing. While saurik does all of this basically for free, and the money he does earn is, as previously stated, more than well deserved I don't think I'm out of bounds here. Seriously. Cydia has not changed all that much since the beginning. Rock came along, offered a much loved alternative to some users(not me, I've always used cydia). What happened, Saurik swallowed it up thus effectively stifling any competition in the JB world. While I didn't particularly care for rock it had some great features. I loved it's download interface, it's speed, extensions panel and that eliminated the need for things like pkgbackup with it's built-in backup. I'd love to see some of these features show up in cydia along with a big UI overhaul. It's great to see the theme store is here, now. Sucks that it takes someone threatening saurik's ability to control things for him to innovate. So on that note I believe this post was completely within context. So go troll somewhere else.
    1. RonHC's Avatar
      RonHC -
      What about the themes that support both HD and SD in the same Package?
      Would the theme appear both on the HD and SD section?
    1. Dizi's Avatar
      Dizi -
      Jay got fat and lazy, and this is what happens. Now he's playing catch-up.
    1. k.nitsua's Avatar
      k.nitsua -
      If you have suggestions for the Featured Themes section, post here:

      HD Themes:
      http://modmyi.com/forums/iphone-4-ne...ection-hd.html

      SD Themes:
      Nominations for Cydia's "Featured Themes" Section (SD)

      iPad section coming soon.
    1. x2dope's Avatar
      x2dope -
      I'm not bashing anyone here but I think its funny that some of the theme creators that are in the featured section of CYDIA are making arguments against themeit and sticking up for Jay while the some of the ones not featured in it are all for themeit. funny how that works.
    1. Raptors's Avatar
      Raptors -
      Quote Originally Posted by x2dope View Post
      I'm not bashing anyone here but I think its funny that some of the theme creators that are in the featured section of CYDIA are making arguments against themeit and sticking up for Jay while the some of the ones not featured in it are all for themeit. funny how that works.
      At the end of the day, under all this competition & talk, I things for sure, & no one tell me other wise, for some themers it's all about the money
    1. Doran's Avatar
      Doran -
      Quote Originally Posted by k.nitsua View Post
      If you have suggestions for the Featured Themes section, post here:

      HD Themes:
      http://modmyi.com/forums/iphone-4-ne...ection-hd.html

      SD Themes:
      Nominations for Cydia's "Featured Themes" Section (SD)

      iPad section coming soon.
      iPad section not coming soon enough.....
    1. k.nitsua's Avatar
      k.nitsua -
      Quote Originally Posted by x2dope View Post
      I'm not bashing anyone here but I think its funny that some of the theme creators that are in the featured section of CYDIA are making arguments against themeit and sticking up for Jay while the some of the ones not featured in it are all for themeit. funny how that works.
      I've never argued against Theme It. If I could be in both stores, I would - but this is the way it is. Theme It is a beautiful and well-designed store with Themers in mind; and they have done a terrific job. Competition is healthy, it's been proven for generations and generations. But in the end, it is survival of the fittest... that has been proven for millenias.

      But I do understand your sentiment. ^_^
    1. StealthBravo's Avatar
      StealthBravo -
      Quote Originally Posted by x2dope View Post
      I'm not bashing anyone here but I think its funny that some of the theme creators that are in the featured section of CYDIA are making arguments against themeit and sticking up for Jay while the some of the ones not featured in it are all for themeit. funny how that works.
      Got to love non-compete agreements
    1. mortopher's Avatar
      mortopher -
      Quote Originally Posted by ronfin44 View Post
      Well thanks, but I didn't really ask or have any questions. However, can we stop trying to cloak "Competition" with the word "fragmentation"? Enough already. I would LOVE to see other developers compete with Cydia and even create more alternatives to having JUST Cydia to purchase/install these kind of themes and apps that Apple doesn't approve of. It was sad when Rock went under and we went back to having just Cydia to use. Any monopoly is NEVER good for ANYTHING, and trying to say "I don't wanna see fragmentation...blah blah blah" is his excuse at deterring competition.

      He did ask [them] to delay their release for whatever reason if you read what was said earlier, so I don't understand why you say otherwise. *EDIT* Here's the statement and link, unless MMi is reporting erroneously:

      ThemeIt: A New Theme Store App Brings Competition to Cydia

      "In fact, Saurik has already been in touch with the folks behind ThemeIt, and has politely asked that they hold back on releasing such a product, but ThemeIt is keeping it's plans to release."
      The fact that you categorically label all monopolies as bad/evil explains your logic.
    1. seanG's Avatar
      seanG -
      Wow. Nice to see.
    1. sh33436's Avatar
      sh33436 -
      Nice. It's cool
    1. Truckinlow's Avatar
      Truckinlow -
      The only downside i see is if you not one of the 15 or 20 featured themes you get lost in the sea of all the other garbage in the theme section. it would be nice if the basic theme section was setup the same as the featured theme section. just a thought