• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • ThemeIt: A New Theme Store App Brings Competition to Cydia
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNZph_jmf0o]YouTube - Theme it, the theme store - Teaser 1a (with sound) : the iPhone app[/ame]


    It's easy to see that one of the most successful items sold in the Cydia store hands down is Winterboard Themes. With hundreds of designers and millions of users theming their iPhone, iPod and iPad, it creates quite a community of people. Since Cydia aquired Rock, every theme you purchase generally comes through Cydia, unless you perhaps donated to a designer.

    With less than only a day left before it's launch, there are some variables that could shake up the "competition", indirectly bringing some headaches to our iPhone god, Saurik, the man behind Cydia. In fact, Saurik has already been in touch with the folks behind ThemeIt, and has politely asked that they hold back on releasing such a product, but ThemeIt is keeping it's plans to release. However, over the course of all of this, it sounds like ThemeIt has lost their original repository partner, and that word has been travelling from within the community encouraging themers to stay away from the project. No Comment.

    An artcile over at ReadWriteWeb, goes into detail on the response given from ThemeIt, speaking out about their view on competition and in the end, only seem to make things more heated, not really helping the situation.

    Well community? What do you think? Is there room for another App Store? As much as I want to see the theme community push for upgrades and new ways to be a part of it all with ease and intuitive browsing, I can only see a headache forming for both Saurik, and ThemeIt from this process. In my opinion, things need to be closely discussed between ThemeIt and Saurik to come to a reasonable solution. We'll keep up with this release tomorrow and let you know what happens. I'll try and get Saurik to give us his thoughts as well so it's not all hear-say... yeah thats right I gave my opinion anyways.

    From ThemeIt:
    A carefully designed platform (application and website) allowing focus on high-quality themes and also the artists behind the themes in a way that wasn't possible before… it's the Theme Store you've been dreaming of using.

    With some of the best theme creators already on-board we can guarantee you'll have access to amazing and exclusive content in an environment that's sure to meet everyone's needs. Focusing on high-quality, complete themes, the goal of Theme it isn't to have a million themes in the gallery… but the best ones available.

    The platform includes a very user-friendly website and an iPhone/iTouch application to showcase and distribute the themes with instant access to the information you really want, such as screenshots, details, compatibility and much more. You'll also have the opportunity to learn a little more about the artists that create the themes you love and use. A section will be dedicated to these wonderful designers.
    Sources: ReadWriteWeb, ThemeIt
    This article was originally published in forum thread: ThemeIt: A New Theme Store App Brings Competition to Cydia started by nickhesson View original post
    Comments 340 Comments
    1. jasvncnt10's Avatar
      jasvncnt10 -
      If i read correctly, this will not let you dl themes that are not comp with your fw?
    1. John1177's Avatar
      John1177 -
      I tried to add this repo and got all kind of errors, sinful bad url etc then when it said return to cydia, it does not show up in my sources
    1. efi2nr's Avatar
      efi2nr -
      Quote Originally Posted by John1177 View Post
      I tried to add this repo and got all kind of errors, sinful bad url etc then when it said return to cydia, it does not show up in my sources
      They don't want you and places like sinful stealing peoples hard work. Uninstall the theft repos and themeit will work
    1. Captinsmooth's Avatar
      Captinsmooth -
      Quote Originally Posted by efi2nr View Post
      They don't want you and places like sinful stealing peoples hard work. Uninstall the theft repos and themeit will work
      Too funny how all these people in this thread that are here to promote themeit are bashing cydia for not working with them and saying he is acting like apple. Yet themeit blocks sources...lol Hypocrisy much? Anyways I digress.

      Themeit seems cool, the app is very sluggish on my I4 on wifi. No loading wheels make you think its not doing anything, then it opens the same page 15 times in a row because you kept hitting the button. Not tearing it down just providing feedback. Hope this takes off and gets all the bugs worked out.
    1. efi2nr's Avatar
      efi2nr -
      Quote Originally Posted by Captinsmooth View Post
      Too funny how all these people in this thread that are here to promote themeit are bashing cydia for not working with them and saying he is acting like apple. Yet themeit blocks sources...lol Hypocrisy much? Anyways I digress.

      .
      Do you work for free? If cheap *** people don't stop stealing others hard work there won't be anything left to download because good themers and app/tweak makers will walk away. Cydia should start blocking xselli and sinful too. If you can't afford .99-$3 you really need to get a life or a driod lol
    1. Captinsmooth's Avatar
      Captinsmooth -
      Quote Originally Posted by efi2nr View Post
      Do you work for free? If cheap *** people don't stop stealing others hard work there won't be anything left to download because good themers and app/tweak makers will walk away. Cydia should start blocking xselli and sinful too. If you can't afford .99-$3 you really need to get a life or a driod lol

      I agree cydia should block repos like that, but they don't. I was simply pointing out the irony of it, based off all the hate I have read in this thread about Saurik acting live Steve Jobs all of sudden. But when in fact Saurik doesn't censor his repos, but themeit does censor its repo. Just found it comical..
    1. efi2nr's Avatar
      efi2nr -
      Oh ok got it and agree
    1. alansvt's Avatar
      alansvt -
      Anyone else having issues with downloading it?? I have a pic of it but can't seem to upload it. Something about unable to parse it????
    1. Captinsmooth's Avatar
      Captinsmooth -
      Quote Originally Posted by alansvt View Post
      Anyone else having issues with downloading it?? I have a pic of it but can't seem to upload it. Something about unable to parse it????
      I think there sever is becoming overloaded at moment. There web page is also at a crawl.
    1. larke's Avatar
      larke -
      how are they expecting us to use this app? besides cydia i've never seen an app so incredibly slow! i've been able to look at 2 themes in the last 5 minutes

      not to mention if a theme you already bought on cydia is there are they going to update both places or just theme it and just out the money you already spent?
    1. jasvncnt10's Avatar
      jasvncnt10 -
      delete
    1. efi2nr's Avatar
      efi2nr -
      First big fail of 2011. Deleting ThemeIt from my i4. Not because it's slow but because it's a joke. Only about 6 themes and most are already on Cydia. Don't waste your time on this one!!!!
    1. alansvt's Avatar
      alansvt -
      Quote Originally Posted by Captinsmooth View Post
      I think there sever is becoming overloaded at moment. There web page is also at a crawl.
      Ok cool I'll keep Trying

      Ty
    1. toyvan's Avatar
      toyvan -
      Quote Originally Posted by jasvncnt10 View Post
      If i read correctly, this will not let you dl themes that are not comp with your fw?
      correct

      =========

      FYI: Themeit's server has been hit HARD! We were not anticipating so much traffic..thanks!

      Trust me, FIF7Y and his team are working on it and things will soon settle down and things will speed up.


      Quote Originally Posted by efi2nr View Post
      First big fail of 2011. Deleting ThemeIt from my i4. Not because it's slow but because it's a joke. Only about 6 themes and most are already on Cydia. Don't waste your time on this one!!!!

      actually there are 20 themes! And it's slow because so many people are using it..including u
    1. Gustavo Saliola's Avatar
      Gustavo Saliola -
      Competition ALWAYS is good. If Saurik is asking for pull back, then he's affraid of their success. If you're a REAL PIONEER, then quit moaning and offer a greater service. Period.
    1. NDM's Avatar
      NDM -
      downloaded themit early this morning.
      but as it is with any big launch your going to experience slowness......there is no avoiding it at first.
      then when things come down i think its going to be a great little app!!!!
      At least i wont have to check twitter or MMI for theme launches or dig through the million themes in Cydia.....

      thanks go out to the team that put Themeit together and all the themers who put their time and hard work into those awesome creations!!

      -Nes
    1. Gustavo Saliola's Avatar
      Gustavo Saliola -
      Just saw the YouTube promo video. It seems a neat & easy to follow interfase. If they act like a Pro Service and put the gear around (Servers, web page, customer assistance, etc) in line with it, well, i'm welcoming Themeit. Plain and simple.
    1. Leonick91's Avatar
      Leonick91 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Captinsmooth View Post
      I agree cydia should block repos like that, but they don't. I was simply pointing out the irony of it, based off all the hate I have read in this thread about Saurik acting live Steve Jobs all of sudden. But when in fact Saurik doesn't censor his repos, but themeit does censor its repo. Just found it comical..
      As far as I can gather from my newsfeeds it would seem measures were taking to make sure ThemeIt wasn't on one of the default repositories as it would originally have been

      Quote Originally Posted by efi2nr View Post
      First big fail of 2011. Deleting ThemeIt from my i4. Not because it's slow but because it's a joke. Only about 6 themes and most are already on Cydia. Don't waste your time on this one!!!!
      Yea, wonder what might be the reasons for that eh? Maybe because ThemeIt just launched...

      Quote Originally Posted by Gustavo Saliola View Post
      Competition ALWAYS is good. If Saurik is asking for pull back, then he's affraid of their success. If you're a REAL PIONEER, then quit moaning and offer a greater service. Period.
      Well, you know what Saurik said when he bought out Rock, all the time spent on competing with Rock was the reason for the lack of updates for all his software, wonder how that works out, competition usually means updates.
      Still, we're starting to get Cydia updates first now while that backup feature which still inst here were supposed to "come soon" after Rock closed...
      I'm with you, while Saurik has done some great things for the Jailbreaking community, probably the most even, he should get team running (well he do have i think) and start updating his software instead of just trying to close down everyone who wants to bring us new stuff...
    1. toyvan's Avatar
      toyvan -
      FYI, Themeit is up and running smoothly now!
    1. landon418's Avatar
      landon418 -
      I agree with you!
      Saurik needs to relize how mad people got when he shut down rock! I HATE Cydia! Its slow, crappy ui, and outdated! Crashes 24/7, when I accidently click on a ad, I have to restart cydia to look at screenshots! Kudos to themeit!