• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • Chronic Dev Team Confirms Untethered 4.2.1 Jailbreak


    It looks like the Chronic Dev Team has confirmed an untethered jailbreak for iOS 4.2.1. This comes as great news to many current-generation iOS device owners who are waiting patiently for an untethered jailbreak that does not require saved SHSH blobs and the ISPW file for iOS 4.2 beta 3, the latter of which is only available to developers. They've just a released a video showing off an iPhone 4 restarting, and then launching Cydia.

    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5qNray7FHU[/ame]


    The release comes after a public dispute between @p0sixninja, one of the creators of this jailbreak along with @0naj and @pod2g, and @MuscleNerd. @MuscleNerd had challenged @p0sixninja to "come up with [a jailbreak] in say, 10 or 20 days," and it looks like he's delivered in even less time with that. Now, I certainly don't want to put myself in the middle of that argument, and I don't think it's good to have the people that so many people in the jailbreak community (including myself) rely on fighting, but regardless, it's very exciting that their appears to be a major breakthrough for an untethered jailbreak.

    The demonstration video says to keep checking GreenPois0n.com for an update. I'm sure we'll hear more about this very soon. To all of those waiting for untethered freedom, it appears that the wait should soon be over. It seems like the only issue left is that the wi-fi logo does not show up, but I for one have faith they'll get it worked out quickly.

    Update: It looks like MuscleNerd has congratulated the Chronic Dev Team. Hopefully it means everyone's getting along a bit better.
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Chronic Dev Team Confirms Untethered 4.2.1 Jailbreak started by Matt Savoca View original post
    Comments 307 Comments
    1. StealthBravo's Avatar
      StealthBravo -
      Quote Originally Posted by onlinegamesnz View Post
      Would you agree that apple is winning the fight against jailbreakers.
      No
    1. onlinegamesnz's Avatar
      onlinegamesnz -
      But there has been 3 new os releases since the last jb. Im not ******** im just saying things must be getting harder for devs
    1. Captinsmooth's Avatar
      Captinsmooth -
      Quote Originally Posted by onlinegamesnz View Post
      Would you agree that apple is winning the fight against jailbreakers.
      You are posting this question/statement in a thread about a new jailbreak being released. What would make you think that?
    1. onlinegamesnz's Avatar
      onlinegamesnz -
      Quote Originally Posted by Captinsmooth View Post
      You are posting this question/statement in a thread about a new jailbreak being released. What would make think that?
      Just that its been posted before. And nothing came of it. Now its being posted again with no release date? So i guess my question is when was the last official jb release? Os 4.1 greenpoision? Now ios4.3 is out?
    1. Captinsmooth's Avatar
      Captinsmooth -
      Quote Originally Posted by onlinegamesnz View Post
      But there has been 3 new os releases since the last jb. Im not ******** im just saying things must be getting harder for devs
      They have a bootrom jailbreak for life, a untethered jb is just a added commodity. They don't work that hard on them because they get patched easily. Plus new devs are joining the force everyday.
    1. onlinegamesnz's Avatar
      onlinegamesnz -
      Quote Originally Posted by Captinsmooth View Post
      They have a bootrom jailbreak for life, a untethered jb is just a added commodity. They don't work that hard on them because they get patched easily. Plus new devs are joining the force everyday.
      So the A4 chip is jailbreakable forever right? So what takes so long. Dont get me wrong im not complaing im just woundering what takes so long?
    1. Simon's Avatar
      Simon -
      Quote Originally Posted by onlinegamesnz View Post
      Just that its been posted before. And nothing came of it. Now its being posted again with no release date? So i guess my question is when was the last official jb release? Os 4.1 greenpoision? Now ios4.3 is out?
      4.3 isnt out yet...

      Quote Originally Posted by onlinegamesnz View Post
      So the A4 chip is jailbreakable forever right? So what takes so long. Dont get me wrong im not complaing im just woundering what takes so long?
      It is jailbreakable, as a tethered jailbreak. 4.2.1 can be jailbroken right now for every device with redsnow. Same goes for the 4.3 beta.
    1. carolinacobras's Avatar
      carolinacobras -
      Quote Originally Posted by Silverado87 View Post
      So it's been months since a jailbreak and one guy decides to make a challenge to make a untethered jailbreak in 20 days and he does it?!?! Then what have they been up too all this time?
      I think I read somewhere that they didn't want to "waste their resources". I read that Apple would have probably just patched the the beta jailbreak then released 4.3 so it kinda would be pointless. I agree though, been too long, and I'm hoping this will be for PC too not just MAC.
    1. StealthBravo's Avatar
      StealthBravo -
      Why burn exploits for every crappy fw revision
    1. onlinegamesnz's Avatar
      onlinegamesnz -
      Quote Originally Posted by StealthBravo View Post
      Why burn exploits for every crappy fw revision
      Thats true. But i also would prefer not to wait 3 new releases. 4.2.1 looks cool though with find my iphone and air print. Will be cool when this is released
    1. Captinsmooth's Avatar
      Captinsmooth -
      Quote Originally Posted by onlinegamesnz View Post
      Thats true. But i also would prefer not to wait 3 new releases. 4.2.1 looks cool though with find my iphone and air print. Will be cool when this is released

      You don't have to wait, any 4.0 or newer firmware can be jailbroken right now. It will just be tethered on anything 4.2.1 or later.
    1. shoohorn0plenty's Avatar
      shoohorn0plenty -
      I'm tethered 4.2.1 using redsn0w. I tried the greenpois0n tool, but I didn't have any luck. The program ran successfully, but I got stuck on the apple boot logo.

      I was able to use the redsn0w tool to boot tethered again.

      Later on, I'll try again. I should probably do a fresh restore to 4.2.1 through iTunes before using the tool. In fact, I feel like a dumbass for not doing it this way in the first place.
    1. StealthBravo's Avatar
      StealthBravo -
      Quote Originally Posted by onlinegamesnz View Post
      Thats true. But i also would prefer not to wait 3 new releases. 4.2.1 looks cool though with find my iphone and air print. Will be cool when this is released
      I hear that. Same problem with last jailbreak and 4.1 vs waiting for 4.2
    1. MrLingerLonger's Avatar
      MrLingerLonger -
      Ok so release it already. We have waited enough. if your not going to then say so this way someone else will. Come on. Sorry patience is gone.
    1. mr117's Avatar
      mr117 -
      Seriously? Patience is gone? Then do it yourself or buy a different phone. They owe you/us NOTHING.
    1. Zokunei's Avatar
      Zokunei -
      Another person that doesn't understand developing/debugging? For all we know, the way they got that iPhone 4 jailbroken was by entering commands in Terminal on their Mac. They have to put it in a pretty package with a bow and fix the bug where the WiFi icon disappears so thousands of uninformed people won't tweet "@P0sixninja ZOMG,,, WhY isN'T mY WiFI'ss,, WORkIng???!!"
    1. Zokunei's Avatar
      Zokunei -
      Quote Originally Posted by shoohorn0plenty View Post
      I'm tethered 4.2.1 using redsn0w. I tried the greenpois0n tool, but I didn't have any luck. The program ran successfully, but I got stuck on the apple boot logo.

      I was able to use the redsn0w tool to boot tethered again.

      Later on, I'll try again. I should probably do a fresh restore to 4.2.1 through iTunes before using the tool. In fact, I feel like a dumbass for not doing it this way in the first place.
      Uh... GreenPois0n doesn't jailbreak 4.2.1 right now. At all, not even tethered. This one hasn't been released yet because it's not 100% finished.
    1. virus1225's Avatar
      virus1225 -
      Like geohot said yesterday. Soon is going to be impossible to jailbreak ios.
    1. Zokunei's Avatar
      Zokunei -
      Quote Originally Posted by virus1225 View Post
      Like geohot said yesterday. Soon is going to be impossible to jailbreak ios.
      That interview was extremely fake :/
      Also making something 100% unhackable is 100% impossible.
    1. thevmax's Avatar
      thevmax -
      Quote Originally Posted by Silverado87 View Post
      So it's been months since a jailbreak and one guy decides to make a challenge to make a untethered jailbreak in 20 days and he does it?!?! Then what have they been up too all this time?
      No kidding...it does make you think about it!