• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • FCC Chief: "We Face a Spectrum Gap" Due to iPhone


    According to the U.S. Federal Communications Commission chairman, the rapid growth in bandwidth usage by mobile devices like the iPhone threatens to overload the available electromagnetic communications frequencies - or "spectrum," as the FCC refers to it - allocated to such devices. As a result, creative new policies will have to be implemented to avoid a "spectrum gap," the chairman said.

    In a Q&A with Business Week, FCC chair Julius Genachowski said that if current trends continue, there will not be enough spectrum available for the growth in mobile broadband access. This growth is largely attributed to the iPhone and its much-discussed Hummer-like thirst for bandwidth. Familiar complaints about AT&T's US 3G service - network overloads that result in dropped calls, missed text messages, delayed voicemail, slow downloads, etc. - will become increasingly common, even if Apple allows other service providers to carry the iPhone, because the carriers have nowhere to go to build out their infrastructure. To deal with this, Genachowski said, the FCC will have come up with new ways to allocate the finite amount of spectrum available for wireless services:

    "We've been spending time on long-term spectrum policy because the data suggest we face a spectrum gap. The demands that are being created by the iPhone and other mobile broadband technologies threaten to outstrip the amount of spectrum available for commercial mobile, and it's important for the country that we get long-term planning right because it takes time to identify spectrum and put it on the market. We're looking at potential innovations in spectrum policy, such as secondary licensing for spectrum, and other, more creative ideas for unlicensed spectrum."
    The idea of a “secondary market for spectrum” was first introduced by the FCC in 2000, and the regulator adopted new rules in 2003. This allowed the holders of FCC licenses to auction off leases to other companies interested in using the original owner's licensed spectrum. In this way, unused frequencies could be utilized for 3G or future wireless broadband services.

    3G iPhones currently operate in either the 800-MHz (IS-54) or 1900-MHz (IS-136) frequency bands. In many markets, all available channels are either at or near capacity.

    image via Wikipedia
    This article was originally published in forum thread: FCC Chief: "We Face a Spectrum Gap" Due to iPhone started by Paul Daniel Ash View original post
    Comments 39 Comments
    1. tarekkkkk's Avatar
      tarekkkkk -
      just to tell u more info about this band frequencies means that every device needs to transmit its signals using its specific frequency which i guess the iphone is a killer frequency talking about
      iphone >>>>>>>>>fm>>>>>>>>>>am ?:S lol what about the naza frequencies
    1. awesomeSlayer's Avatar
      awesomeSlayer -
      Looks like the radio spectrum needs some organization.
    1. neonsector's Avatar
      neonsector -
      Quote Originally Posted by tudtran View Post
      That made sense. Now force At&T to work.
      lawl... gl on that one
    1. Sakbut's Avatar
      Sakbut -
      Quote Originally Posted by robbpell View Post
      im sure that cant be to accurate as all iphone users are forced to pay for a 3g plan even if its not available anywhere around you i have to drive an hour before i get to a city with 3g and yet im still paying for it at&t sent a notice in january saying they will be building a 3g network in my city in 2009 im thinking there gonna wait till christmas eve cuz i see no signs of it anywhere one of the reasons i been looking into verizon although i love my iphone and would be lost without it i hate paying for something im not getting and since at&t wont let me upgrade my phone(to 3gs) until march without paying extra when my contract ends in jun im thinking droid does commercials look better and better as verizon has had 3g in my city for a while now. lol ok let me stop ranting jus a little touchy when it comes to at&t's 3g network.
      That's quite a run-on sentence!
    1. metaserph's Avatar
      metaserph -
      When you pay a toll, you are also paying taxes for future road upgrades you are not currently using. Same thing, different "caching" kittie. Can I just point my iPhone towards an egg and get an omelet now?
    1. mawells787's Avatar
      mawells787 -
      Quote Originally Posted by robbpell View Post
      im sure that cant be to accurate as all iphone users are forced to pay for a 3g plan even if its not available anywhere around you i have to drive an hour before i get to a city with 3g and yet im still paying for it at&t sent a notice in january saying they will be building a 3g network in my city in 2009 im thinking there gonna wait till christmas eve cuz i see no signs of it anywhere one of the reasons i been looking into verizon although i love my iphone and would be lost without it i hate paying for something im not getting and since at&t wont let me upgrade my phone(to 3gs) until march without paying extra when my contract ends in jun im thinking droid does commercials look better and better as verizon has had 3g in my city for a while now. lol ok let me stop ranting jus a little touchy when it comes to at&t's 3g network.
      well just to correct myself its not 35 million because its 41% of 63 million which is the amount of post paid customers. i calculated it based on 41% of the 81million. so the actual number is 25million on 3G.

      i see your point, however i have no idea if the calculate that number based on the amount of 3G devices sold or the actual amount of people connected to the 3G network. for example my dads phone is on 3G for voice and my girlfriends LG shine works on 3G, but if they sell an iphone 3G or 3G capable phone in a non 3G area i'm not sure if that constitutes as part of that 41%.
    1. one1's Avatar
      one1 -
      Take that humanity and the frequency spectrum. The iPhone is literally crushing airwaves. Ok Android, your turn to perform a magic trick.....

      By the way someone needs to run Defrag on that thing.
    1. awesomeSlayer's Avatar
      awesomeSlayer -
      Quote Originally Posted by one1 View Post
      Take that humanity and the frequency spectrum. The iPhone is literally crushing airwaves. Ok Android, your turn to perform a magic trick.....

      By the way someone needs to run Defrag on that thing.
      Yeah, we need to use Disk Defragmenter. Wait, I mean Spectrum Defragmenter! I mean - ah, screw it!
    1. badass1469's Avatar
      badass1469 -
      man the FCC is gey why don't they just make some more bandwith and call it a day. They spend millions of our tax dollars just for these damn meetings, why not just fix the problem and get it over with.
    1. cybrneil's Avatar
      cybrneil -
      Very Interesting stuff.. imagine if Apple had its way and iphoned for ATT and Verizon and maybe TMobile all were selling iphones to their customers..
      We all would be in trouble!!
    1. iquanyin's Avatar
      iquanyin -
      ever get the feeling that people just write...whatever press release copy is sent to them? like, just to get something out there that sounds like it's about something?
    1. andygev35's Avatar
      andygev35 -
      MAKE some more bandwidth?!?? Ahhh, hell... Let's add some more colors to the rainbow too.... And while we're at it, Warp 1; ENGAGE!!
    1. GIRLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL's Avatar
      GIRLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL -
      Most of the major carriers operate on the same bands (850/1900) which is probably the reason why T-Mobile went with 1700/2100mhz (currently just 1700mhz) More traffic is allowed and no other mobile carriers really use it besides Cricket/MetroPCS.
    1. mawells787's Avatar
      mawells787 -
      Quote Originally Posted by GIRLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL View Post
      Most of the major carriers operate on the same bands (850/1900) which is probably the reason why T-Mobile went with 1700/2100mhz (currently just 1700mhz) More traffic is allowed and no other mobile carriers really use it besides Cricket/MetroPCS.
      I don't think that t-mobile chose the AWS 1700/2100mhz band, i think that they didn't have any choice. however the problem with that frequency is that its a 2way frequency which means that 1700 is for the download link and 2100 for the upload.

      tmobile bought the biggest chunk of these frequency, but there were other buyers including at&t, so there still is plenty of unused spectrum. see the link below

      T-Mobile Wins Large Chunks of 3G Spectrum, What Does This Means To You? - 3G - Gizmodo
    1. GIRLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL's Avatar
      GIRLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL -
      They only use 1700mhz right now. They don't use 2100mhz for up and 1700mhz for down.
    1. rwin84's Avatar
      rwin84 -
      Can I borrow some money to buy some spectrum??? ;-)
    1. ecd5000's Avatar
      ecd5000 -
      Quote Originally Posted by enjoylife View Post
      LOL - I bet that graph cost tax payers $4 million to produce..
      sadly this is probably true
    1. phifer8390's Avatar
      phifer8390 -
      Quote Originally Posted by b3nny View Post
      lolol yeah someone needs to defrag that spectrum asap xD
      defrag ha ha ha ha ha ha
    1. auburnguy32's Avatar
      auburnguy32 -
      Can't we just use some of that AM broadcasting spectrum... Sean Hannity will understand...