• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • Windows Mobile Developers Join Verizon for Apple Bashing





    The Windows Mobile development team has unleashed a subtle but stinging new video that promotes the Windows Marketplace for Mobile at Apple's expense.

    Indirectly addressing the glut of "pointless apps" that line Apple's App Store, the ad gently pokes fun at the superfluous applications that supposedly waste our time and serve little purpose.

    According to Todd Bishop's Microsoft blog at Tech Flash:

    That seems to be the underlying message in this spoof video posted on YouTube today by Microsoft's Windows Mobile Dev team, even though it features fictional Microsoft lab staff, and Apple is never mentioned by name.
    Although Microsoft continues to expand its virtual store's library by leaps and bounds since its October 6th grand opening, the company still offers only a paltry number of apps in comparison to Apple's current whopping catalog of 85,000 applications.

    The parody, however, also chides Apple's recent hypocritical behavior in determining which apps to accept or reject. In the video, the characters suggest ridiculous apps that Microsoft may have also shot down - including apps that shock the owner and create fake mustaches.

    Microsoft is trying to drum up interest in its rival to the App store, dubbed Windows Marketplace for Mobile, which launched earlier this month in conjunction with the Windows Mobile 6.5 release.
    Despite a flurry of recent attacks - including those by Verizon - Apple is largely unaffected. Having posted record quarterly earnings this week and then thrilling Apple fans with a slate of new offerings, the folks at Apple are probably laughing right along with the rest of us at the not-so-gentle jabs that have come flying from all directions.
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Windows Mobile Developers Join Verizon for Apple Bashing started by Michael Essany View original post
    Comments 99 Comments
    1. tudtran's Avatar
      tudtran -
      Can you say STUPID
    1. Raptors's Avatar
      Raptors -
      Quote Originally Posted by cpjr View Post
      Unfortunately they pretty much sum up the AppStore.

      85,000 apps.......probably 80,000 of them are useless.
      uhm what?! more like 80, 000 apps, 84, 000 if them are useless
    1. saguerra's Avatar
      saguerra -
      this is pretty sad!
    1. adrian1480's Avatar
      adrian1480 -
      Quote Originally Posted by cpjr View Post
      Unfortunately they pretty much sum up the AppStore.

      85,000 apps.......probably 80,000 of them are useless.
      truth! thought it's probably more like 84,725 that are useless.

      nature of the beast, though. we don't want Apple acting any more draconian than they already do.
    1. kaaroFC's Avatar
      kaaroFC -
      I liked the ad..when the lady got electrocuted xD!
    1. dale1v's Avatar
      dale1v -
      Quote Originally Posted by adrian1480 View Post
      truth! thought it's probably more like 84,725 that are useless.
      Still generous.
    1. metaserph's Avatar
      metaserph -
      I have to ask myself, if all the apps for the iPhone are garbage, why do you have an iPhone?
    1. confucious's Avatar
      confucious -
      Because I like garbage

      And the hundreds / thousands of apps that aren't
    1. dale1v's Avatar
      dale1v -
      Then again, the iPhone did and can still work without 3rd party apps.
    1. TooSlo's Avatar
      TooSlo -
      Quote Originally Posted by metaserph View Post
      I have to ask myself, if all the apps for the iPhone are garbage, why do you have an iPhone?
      I only have an iphone because I was able to eliminate my previous cell service and consolidate it to a single business/personal line that my company pays for.

      That and I couldn't use my G1 on 3G with AT&T.

      It really came down to using a BB or iphone, and the BBs that we have are garbage.
    1. KartRacer's Avatar
      KartRacer -
      Quote Originally Posted by metaserph View Post
      I have to ask myself, if all the apps for the iPhone are garbage, why do you have an iPhone?
      How about the fact that the App Store is only one aspect of the phone and what it can do? Just because 95% of the App Store is utter garbage and shouldn't be counted, doesn't mean that someone wouldn't want to have a slick interface and carry 32 gigs of music everywhere they go. Most of the apps I have are newsreaders, a few games, two sports apps, and a few utilities. The rest of what I find in the store is garbage. That didn't prevent me from getting an iPhone though.
    1. metaserph's Avatar
      metaserph -
      That's exactly my point. I have, so far, 121 apps. Once is a comic book and another, another inspirational phrases and the Bible. The rest are utilities and business apps, ALL useful to me and what I do. So, whatever WM App Devs may joke about, they all wish they were on the iPhone side. Whatever...
    1. KartRacer's Avatar
      KartRacer -
      121 out of 80,00 doesn't make a good store. Yes there are useful apps, no one is denying that. It's that there are 200 for every 1 that is useful. Besides, anyone that doesn't think this is funny should relax. They are just poking some harmless fun at Apple.
    1. metaserph's Avatar
      metaserph -
      OH I agree, funny as hell. Just not agreeing with " App Store is full of garbage" crap. And besides, seems a lot of folks are buying the "garbage" and happy with it. Over 2 billion of them...
    1. KartRacer's Avatar
      KartRacer -
      True there were about 2 billion downloads in a short period of time, but I think alot of that has to do with the low price of a 99 cent app, and the fact that many of the games and such aren't free and there is no way to try an app out before you buy it. Impulse buys probably make up most of that. I would really like to know how many of those 2 billion apps are still being used by the purchaser on a daily basis. I know I've bought quite a number of apps I no longer use because they really aren't that useful after all. Do I regret it? No, but I really wish that Apple had encouraged demos of apps from the start, I've resisted buying alot of apps simply because I had to buy them to find out if they are any good.

      To the author, it's not 'bashing'. Quit acting like they are being childish, stupid, or mean. It's a joke. Get over yourself. Gizmodos Jesus Diaz got his *** in a knot over this as well and it only serves to make you look like a whiner that can't take what you dish out.
    1. confucious's Avatar
      confucious -
      I have downloaded 1,999,999,900 of those so that means only 100 have been downloaded by the rest of you....
    1. bsellmon's Avatar
      bsellmon -
      I think the app store is full of crap, and all these OS updates are even more useless, but until windows comes up with an interface even half as good, I'm sticking with iPhone
    1. metaserph's Avatar
      metaserph -
      I can tell Confucious owns Apple stock. LOL
    1. iMack007's Avatar
      iMack007 -
      LMFAO that ad was most def funny