• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • Is Google Spamming the iPhone?

    Image via SearchEngineLand

    Apple's recent purchase of PlaceBase, a company that produces a maps API called Pushpin, has illustrated to many Apple's intention of competing with Google, which, for now, largely dominates the digital mapping landscape.

    As the days pass amidst our heightened awareness of Apple's potential aims, more evidence surfaces as to why Apple may have more reason than ever to "map" out a new, more competitive course for itself.

    Greg Sterling at Search Engine Land is out this weekend with some interesting food for thought.
    We got a tip from Anthony Avolio yesterday, who pointed out that Google was showing ads on Maps on the iPhone. Until then I hadnít noticed it.
    The links uncovered by Search Engine Land closely resemble the Sponsored Links that appear in Google search results. Does Apple know about this? More importantly, are they sharing in the revenue from Google's apparent subtle spamming endeavor? All are good questions, but none have easy answers at this time. Since we don't know the details of Apple's agreement with Google, we have no way of knowing if these apparent sponsored links fall in line with the agreement currently in place or if recent bad blood between the two companies has inspired Google to take a new direction with sponsored links in Google maps.

    There are a number of people who believe that itís now just a matter of time before Apple introduces its own substitute maps for the iPhone, but that very much remains to be seen.
    The acquisition of PlaceBase suggests that Apple is ready to beef up its geolocation offerings, likely with a service that will rival Google maps. But such a service is probably still closer to the drawing board than it is to a full-fledged launch.

    For now, the only thing we know for sure is that Google and Apple are growing further apart. Like a Hollywood marriage that's tabloid bound, these two seem poised for a split eventually. As it stands, however, both companies still need each other for a variety of reasons. But I think we're beginning to see Apple and Google aggressively laying the groundwork for becoming fully independent of one another.

    I'm no Dr. Phil, but with more and more evidence surfacing that the coupling of Apple and Google is becoming a toxic relationship, it's difficult to see a future that keeps these two working together for any reason at all.
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Is Google Spamming the iPhone? started by Michael Essany View original post
    Comments 30 Comments
    1. ihaveabu's Avatar
      ihaveabu -
      Wait, y can't sponsored ads on google be displayed on the iPhone. People are paying for those ads
    1. sayam's Avatar
      sayam -
      Hmm... it's exactly like you're blaming google (or any other ad service) for showing ads in safari on your macbook, which doesn't make any sense in today's digital world!
    1. Bernie-Mac's Avatar
      Bernie-Mac -
      This is borderline ridiculous. Google helped make a dedicated native application for the iPhone and they are now putting ads in it like its a safari page or a free App Store fart application? What if the Weather app all of a sudden had ads in it from Yahoo or the YouTube app had those annoying popups from the youtube.com site? Its crap and im being a little too dramatic i know but either Google and Apple better straighten out their relationship or Apple better make those maps fast
    1. knguyen's Avatar
      knguyen -
      The mapping service is owned by Google, but the "Map Application" is owned by Apple. I think Google can only display whatever the user requests, not any other addons like sponsor link or ad banners like you see in free apps. If there are some advertisements going on in Apple's app, I'm sure they will want a piece of that pie.
    1. gamer765's Avatar
      gamer765 -
      But if Apple is trying to push Google out of the picture, wouldn't Youtube be next to go seeing as how Google bought Youtube.
    1. Go Gators's Avatar
      Go Gators -
      Quote Originally Posted by knguyen View Post
      The mapping service is owned by Google, but the "Map Application" is owned by Apple. I think Google can only display whatever the user requests, not any other addons like sponsor link or ad banners like you see in free apps. If there are some advertisements going on in Apple's app, I'm sure they will want a piece of that pie.
      How do you know Apple owns the "Map Application"? Do you work for Apple? Did you see their legal contract? Don't think so!
    1. sayam's Avatar
      sayam -
      Quote Originally Posted by gamer765 View Post
      But if Apple is trying to push Google out of the picture, wouldn't Youtube be next to go seeing as how Google bought Youtube.
      Nope... No way apple would kill default youtube app... they're just trying to reduce the dependency by killing google maps app
    1. knguyen's Avatar
      knguyen -
      Quote Originally Posted by Go Gators View Post
      How do you know Apple owns the "Map Application"? Do you work for Apple? Did you see their legal contract? Don't think so!
      Woah Woah Woah calm down dude. That was only an assumption. I'm only putting in my two cents. Can you prove that Apple doesn't own the Map application and what i'm saying is wrong?
    1. reddevilseye's Avatar
      reddevilseye -
      What about street view?? Can apple have that too?? What about the fast update for the maps?? What about the traffic on the main streets that only google online map have?? Apple can't have all that today so no change is comin soon, and google have many things to slap apple back in the face, like google mobile app if they have a browser in it that will kill safari,
    1. hollow0's Avatar
      hollow0 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Bernie-Mac View Post
      This is borderline ridiculous. Google helped make a dedicated native application for the iPhone and they are now putting ads in it like its a safari page or a free App Store fart application? What if the Weather app all of a sudden had ads in it from Yahoo or the YouTube app had those annoying popups from the youtube.com site? Its crap and im being a little too dramatic i know but either Google and Apple better straighten out their relationship or Apple better make those maps fast
      you should straighten out the color of your damn post. can't you use a color that doesn't hurt pplz eyes?
    1. Bernie-Mac's Avatar
      Bernie-Mac -
      Quote Originally Posted by hollow0 View Post
      you should straighten out the color of your damn post. can't you use a color that doesn't hurt pplz eyes?
      I like the text just fine, thanks tho. You could always stop by your optometrist
    1. genuino's Avatar
      genuino -
      Nice Bernie-Mac, that's like saying FU,............still bothers people's eyes, hard to read. Bad taste on text color for forums, my personal opinion.
    1. southfrisco's Avatar
      southfrisco -
      Quote Originally Posted by hollow0 View Post
      you should straighten out the color of your damn post. can't you use a color that doesn't hurt pplz eyes?
      It is simple, just don't read the guys posts which is what I do with anyone that uses color that contrasts terribly with the body background color. It is tacky but they allow it here.
    1. Bernie-Mac's Avatar
      Bernie-Mac -
      Quote Originally Posted by southfrisco View Post
      It is simple, just don't read the guys posts which is what I do with anyone that uses color that contrasts terribly with the body background color. It is tacky but they allow it here.
      Thanks for your support I love these forums
    1. thetoothfairy's Avatar
      thetoothfairy -
      ^ The color doesn't bother me there buddy..... Nice color to match with your avatar! Keep posting, enjoy MMI and be happy!
    1. niZmo v2's Avatar
      niZmo v2 -
      Apple has bought their own map service just the other day. There is no doubt that Google is upset, so I believe they are.
    1. confucious's Avatar
      confucious -
      Quote Originally Posted by thetoothfairy View Post
      ^ The color doesn't bother me there buddy..... Nice color to match with your avatar! Keep posting, enjoy MMI and be happy!
      It makes it very difficult to read and is as rude as shouting - and that annoys the hell out of me.

      Reading lots of posts is one thing, when people try and highlight theirs I ignore them, but that's not easy.

      It is very annoying.
    1. ebl4287's Avatar
      ebl4287 -
      Maybe google is trying to milk everything out the iPhone before apple dumps them.
    1. Channan's Avatar
      Channan -
      Quote Originally Posted by confucious View Post
      It makes it very difficult to read and is as rude as shouting - and that annoys the hell out of me.

      Reading lots of posts is one thing, when people try and highlight theirs I ignore them, but that's not easy.

      It is very annoying.
      +1 I like going through and reading all the comments, and it's really hard to ignore one. And it hurt my eyes a little to read it on my phone.

      Yeah you can do it. No rules against it. But if you want more people to read your comments, you should make them easier to read. If you don't want them to read it, then why bother commenting?
    1. mdc929's Avatar
      mdc929 -
      apple and google need to make up already