• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • More Hints at an Apple Tablet

    Image via The New York Times


    Clues continue to surface at every turn that Apple is tablet-bound.

    Overnight, several media outlets picked up on the news that Michael Tchao has been brought back on board Apple. Tchao, of course, is one of the founding fathers of Apple's Newton personal digital assistant. If Tchao was to be useful enough to put back on the job at Apple, it would likely be to capitalize in his "genius" in order to successfully roll out a new Apple tablet.

    Our friends at CNET picked up on the development late last night with word that Tchao has been reinstalled at Apple in the capacity of vice president of product marketing.

    Rumors of an Apple tablet have been swirling for a couple of years, but speculation has ramped up in recent months, including reports that Apple CEO Steve Jobs has been focusing intensely on a tablet device since returning to work in June after a liver transplant.
    Prior to rejoining Apple, Tchao spent the last seven years at Nike, serving as the general manager for Nike Techlab and Nike+.

    It is believed that Tchao could be exclusively assigned to the eagerly anticipated Apple Tablet, which could arrive as soon as early 2010. For now, rumors continue to paint a picture of the new Apple tablet as a 10-inch, 3G-enabled touchscreen that could best be likened to a large iPod Touch.

    Apple has apparently been laying the groundwork for a tablet PC for years. The company was granted a patent in 2005 for tablet PC design, and the company was granted a patent last year for a tablet-like device that incorporated a touchscreen. Apple has also long had some of the key technologies for a tablet computer with Inkwell--a handwriting recognition feature having been in Mac OS X for some time.
    Even though Tchao's baby - The Newton - launched with great fanfare only to fizzle, industry insiders report that Tchao is a brilliant individual well-suited for his new role, particularly if there is truth to his rumored involvement with the mysterious tablet. In the big picture, of course, anyone who can find a way to make Nike shoes work with an iPod is definitely creative enough to put on this project.

    Good luck to Mr. Tchao!
    This article was originally published in forum thread: More Hints at an Apple Tablet started by Michael Essany View original post
    Comments 38 Comments
    1. wannabprogramma's Avatar
      wannabprogramma -
      I'm still wondering when Apple will realize that because of Microsoft and Sony, the world is slowly moving towards Blue-Ray. When will they incorporate a blue-ray player in a computer? Microsoft has already done this in several different models of computers. This tablet would be the perfect time for apple to make their move. It would also make media much more enjoyable.
    1. bengo's Avatar
      bengo -
      Quote Originally Posted by Melech518 View Post
      What both of you guys fail to realize is that his job as a staff writer is to also check the member written news forums first before posting a new article.

      Its also amazing to me how you both are attacking me here when I have first hand witnessed both of you criticize the new writers time and time again.

      @Badass- poseidon had to remove numerous posts of your because you were flaming the other writer on the iTune 9.0.1 thread, remember??
      Somebody call the WHAAAAAAAAAAAMBULANCE!

      Quote Originally Posted by brandonmarback View Post
      I can't wait for the new Newton. I just hope that Apple doesn't mess it up like that Microsoft Courier thing by putting USB ports on it or giving it a full OS. And I hope you get to pay for updates just like on the iPod Touch. In fact, I hope it's just a big iPod Touch with the same awesome memory management and functional limitations, I don't want to have to think too hard while I'm using it because it's obvious that I haven't thought too hard when deciding to buy it for $999.
      LOL nice one!
    1. Cer0's Avatar
      Cer0 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Melech518 View Post
      What both of you guys fail to realize is that his job as a staff writer is to also check the member written news forums first before posting a new article.

      Its also amazing to me how you both are attacking me here when I have first hand witnessed both of you criticize the new writers time and time again.

      @Badass- poseidon had to remove numerous posts of your because you were flaming the other writer on the iTune 9.0.1 thread, remember??
      I don't remember me attacking a staff writer or criticizing a staff writer. I love coming here to get my iPhone news along with some Apple news. I too have written a some news posts in the member news forum before it was put on the main page also. I believe someone mocked me in one of them it was half an hour or so before the front page one.

      Sorry Melech, didn't know they had to check member news forum first. I have seen you help a lot of people, including myself.
    1. mattharris85's Avatar
      mattharris85 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Melech518 View Post
      Unbelievable!! Again these writers steal the news I covered HOURS EARLIER. Check it out...Same article written 2 and a half hours prior to Messany stealing this one
      i would be pissed to.
    1. pacmac's Avatar
      pacmac -
      i hope so..its like a iphone but bigger hope this fits in my pocket
    1. reanimationxp's Avatar
      reanimationxp -
      Quote Originally Posted by mattharris85 View Post
      i would be pissed to.
      too.
    1. mattharris85's Avatar
      mattharris85 -
      Quote Originally Posted by reanimationxp View Post
      too.
      What a waste of a post.
    1. wannabprogramma's Avatar
      wannabprogramma -
      I KNOW!!!!!^mattharris85- I tried mentioning a valid point and I don't think anyone even read it with all the whining going on.
    1. mattharris85's Avatar
      mattharris85 -
      Quote Originally Posted by wannabprogramma View Post
      I'm still wondering when Apple will realize that because of Microsoft and Sony, the world is slowly moving towards Blue-Ray. When will they incorporate a blue-ray player in a computer? Microsoft has already done this in several different models of computers. This tablet would be the perfect time for apple to make their move. It would also make media much more enjoyable.
      I have been wondering this as well.
    1. kaaroFC's Avatar
      kaaroFC -
      Quote Originally Posted by smuggler View Post
      i presume it'll be as difficult to type on as the iphone.
      I disagree because the display is bigger...
    1. mattharris85's Avatar
      mattharris85 -
      The iPhone is not hard to type on lol except when auto-correct changes a word to the wrong word.
    1. Happy Noodle Boy's Avatar
      Happy Noodle Boy -
      Quote Originally Posted by wannabprogramma View Post
      Microsoft has already done this in several different models of computers.
      What Microsoft computers you speak of? Because last I checked, they just make the OS.
    1. wannabprogramma's Avatar
      wannabprogramma -
      I may have mis-spoke when I said microsoft I meant dell-I know that that's a pretty big mistake but here's the particular computer i had in mind:
      The Dell Online Store: Build Your System
      I think I said microsoft because it runs Windows, but i guess i should have said dell because they make the computer
    1. keatonec's Avatar
      keatonec -
      Can't wait!!!!
    1. mdc929's Avatar
      mdc929 -
      props to melech for finding it first
      but man i just want a PEEK of it
      just a peek
      i have a horrible feeling though that apple is just goin to disappoint everybody by making the itablet extremely ***
      if they stick to the level of "interesting" that they had in september's event i will go nuts
    1. mk12's Avatar
      mk12 -
      Quote Originally Posted by cpotoso View Post
      My desires for an iTablet from Apple:

      1) Make it a real computer (not a super itouch, but a real OS X machine).

      2) Make it open like a computer (i.e. I can load any software I want).

      3) Good for media playing (likely will be).

      4) Good USB connectivity (at least 2 ports). Accept USB drives, external CD/DVDs, keyboards and mice, printers, etc.

      5) Bluetooth with a good setup (stereo headsets, support for keyboards and mice, etc).

      6) Option to have a real HD (i.e. 300 GB) rather than those silly 16 GB flash drives some netbooks come with.

      7) Good battery life!

      I will buy it :-)
      <sarcasm>This thing better have an app store and be ultra-safe so I can't mess anything up, please no file browser or unsigned applications. And don't forget to charge me 99$ a year to develop for it, or to take 30% of all my profits! Don't let me change the background, or the layout of anything so that every single tablet will look the same.</sarcasm>
    1. keatonec's Avatar
      keatonec -
      /\/\ lmao
    1. mk12's Avatar
      mk12 -
      Imagine if the tablet is like the iphone and the dev team has to release jailbreaks for it to usable...