• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • iPhone OS 3.1 - All you need to know
    <iframe src="http://www.zumodrive.com/photo/embed/Yk2OTQ3Mz" width="450" height="300" frameborder="0"></iframe>

    It's been quite a while since Apple released the OS 3.1 for iPhone and there's been a lot of confusion regarding it's Jailbreak Status etc. Therefore, here's a summary of do's and dont's
    • According to ChronicDev, the 3.1 GM seed is still vulnerable.
    • It has been confirmed by MuscleNerd from DevTeam that iTunes 9 doesn't interfere with jailbreaking so you can update iTunes <s>but make sure that you do not update your device firmware to 3.1 yet if you want to jailbreak</s>. UPDATE: Jailbreak for OS 3.1 has been released but for the iPhone 2G, iPhone 3G and iPod Touch 1G ONLY and NOT iPhone 3GS, iPod Touch 2G and iPod Touch 3G! Therefore, update only if you have older hardware
    • Saurik confirms once you update to 3.1, there's <s>no way to downgrade</s> to an earlier version as iTunes no longer signs the older firmware. Therefore, if you do not have your ECID information saved, <s>you're completely stuck</s>! For those who have the information saved, there should be a solution out soon. UPDATE: 3.1 can now be downgraded to 3.0 but remember, the baseband is not downgraded along with the firmware, so you might still be permanently locked even though you can now jailbreak 3.1 in future.
    • The new firmware also includes a new baseband which means none of the current unlocking tools will work. Therefore, if you upgrade an iPhone 3G with bootloader newer than 5.8 or an iPhone 3GS, there are chances that your device might get permanently locked.

    Verdict: If you EVER want to jailbreak and unlock your iPhone 3G / iPhone 3GS again, DO NOT UPDATE YET!
    This article was originally published in forum thread: iPhone OS 3.1 - All you need to know started by sayam View original post
    Comments 220 Comments
    1. eortizr's Avatar
      eortizr -
      Quote Originally Posted by z28kid View Post
      Who wants to take a stab at this video to see if it will truly works?
      Yeap, If you have a 3G, then you can downgrade to 3.0.1 again and jailbreak. I just did.
    1. asae's Avatar
      asae -
      Quote Originally Posted by asae View Post
      I have a jailbroken factory unlocked 3Gs with 3.0.1, all of the sudden my push is not working anymore (Yahoo Messenger and IM Plus) - always popped up asking me to connect to iTunes... and everytime i connect to iTunes is always offer me to update to 3.1.

      Is Apple forcing to update to 3.1 by disabling push for the 3.0.1? does anyone experience similar issue?
      I felt that Apple started to act even worst than M$, tried to reset all settings with hope it can clear everything without having to restore to 3.1, unfortunately it forces me to upgrade to 3.1 by showing the connect to itunes picture....

      for 3Gs owner, beware...hope you didn't ended up like me being forced to upgrade by first getting all of the push services disabled (maybe itunes is deleting my push cert?)..there goes all of my cydia based paid apps
    1. river0's Avatar
      river0 -
      I have a 3GS (FW 3.0) jailbroken with purplera1n. I also have ultrasn0w as one of my Cydia packages. I was planning to use ultrasn0w this weekend before FW 3.1 released its chaos on the 3GS community. BTW, I'm still using iTunes 8.3.1 (6) and have never even tried to move beyond FW 3.00.

      Quick question #1. Can I safely hit that ultrasn0w button in Cydia and then the Confirm button to unlock my 3GS? I assume I can, but I want to make sure before jumping into a pool of empty water.

      Quick question #2. If the answer to 1 is "yes, it's safe," do I need to have a sim card on board before starting ultrasn0W? If so, does it matter what sim I use? I planned to use a used up Chippie pay-as-you-go card from another country. Would that work or do I need 2 sims?

      Thanks in advance to the only iPhone forum I turn to.
    1. santaf's Avatar
      santaf -
      Oh man I hope a jailbreak comes out soon I havnt upgraded yet but I don't have those things saved that I can't get anymore
    1. jaysta07's Avatar
      jaysta07 -
      I didn't capture any ids or anything before I jailbreaked. Am I screwed??? Or will i be ok?
    1. confucious's Avatar
      confucious -
      Quote Originally Posted by river0 View Post
      I have a 3GS (FW 3.0) jailbroken with purplera1n. I also have ultrasn0w as one of my Cydia packages. I was planning to use ultrasn0w this weekend before FW 3.1 released its chaos on the 3GS community. BTW, I'm still using iTunes 8.3.1 (6) and have never even tried to move beyond FW 3.00.
      The answer is a definite maybe.

      If I had a 3Gs I would not do anything, and I mean anything, to it now.

      UltraSn0w should work but some people had problems and if you do the advice is to do a clean restore - you can not do that.

      There is always the possibility of something going wrong when you install anything, usually there is a way round it. At the moment there is no way round on a 3Gs - if something goes wrong you run a very high risk of having to restore to 3.1 with a BB upgrade, in which case it is highly unlikely you will be able to unlock any time soon.

      I would not risk it, or even risk installing anything, until you know you are safe.
    1. asae's Avatar
      asae -
      Quote Originally Posted by confucious View Post

      If I had a 3Gs I would not do anything, and I mean anything, to it now.
      Totally agreed. And wished can just "not do anything".. Unfortunately, for my case, even not doing anything...all of the sudden my push stop working, and when tried to reset things (via Settings), it leads me to connect to iTunes and no other option than upgrade to 3.1....

      May it was Apple strategy to disable the push and force 3Gs to move to 3.1?? i don't know....hopefully not....because if this the case, then its going to be the end of Cydia and its commercial hosted apps? at least until it can be jailbroken again..
    1. confucious's Avatar
      confucious -
      You are not the first to say that Apple seem to have stopped Push on 3.0x
      You should have just lived with it rather than trying to reset anything.
    1. asae's Avatar
      asae -
      yes, ur right..... anyway, livin' with 3.1+push now...but not as lively as with those cydia apps...lost the paid version of mcleaner and madvlock so...better keep the phone away from my wife hahaha

      waiting, praying and hoping dev team will save the day soon
    1. kamaal's Avatar
      kamaal -
      I wish someone else would hurry up and make a good phone so I can be done with cocky *** Apple and stupid *** AT&T
    1. asae's Avatar
      asae -
      Try HTC Hero - its android based, just got one because of this problem with my 3Gs. Looks good, fast, jailbreakable and thinkin to move to it permanently. Oops sorry, not the right thread to discuss this
    1. dhruvmalik's Avatar
      dhruvmalik -
      Yeah, I was also considering buying the HERO but the 3GS won because of the app support. Anyway, wonder if you guys have seen this?



      --If I Helped, Please Hit Thanks!--
    1. confucious's Avatar
      confucious -
      There are plenty of other phones.
      Just none as good as the iPhone.
    1. bigmoss's Avatar
      bigmoss -
      Quote Originally Posted by dhruvmalik View Post
      Yeah, I was also considering buying the HERO but the 3GS won because of the app support. Anyway, wonder if you guys have seen this?



      --If I Helped, Please Hit Thanks!--
      This is great news
    1. lilskaterpunk's Avatar
      lilskaterpunk -
      Good news!
    1. A_DuB187's Avatar
      A_DuB187 -
      Quote Originally Posted by asae View Post
      yes, ur right..... anyway, livin' with 3.1+push now...but not as lively as with those cydia apps...lost the paid version of mcleaner and madvlock so...better keep the phone away from my wife hahaha

      waiting, praying and hoping dev team will save the day soon
      My 3G S is still on 3.0 jailbroken with Purplera1n and my push is working perfectly. I mean I haven't even had anything push out late, everything has come in perfectly. Maybe I'm just lucky who knows. Anyways there is no way I'm updating to 3.1 before a jailbreak is released because I'll loose all my paid Cydia apps. I can't even get by without my iRealQuickSMS. When I first got my 3Gs it was horrible having to close out of everything I was doing just to reply to a text! Not to mention all the other Cydia apps I paid for that I use on a daily basis.

      Hell I've even gone back to using my 3G just to make sure nothing happens to my 3Gs that will force me to restore before the jailbreak is released for 3.1.
    1. StealthBravo's Avatar
      StealthBravo -
      Quote Originally Posted by confucious View Post
      The answer is a definite maybe.

      If I had a 3Gs I would not do anything, and I mean anything, to it now.

      UltraSn0w should work but some people had problems and if you do the advice is to do a clean restore - you can not do that.

      There is always the possibility of something going wrong when you install anything, usually there is a way round it. At the moment there is no way round on a 3Gs - if something goes wrong you run a very high risk of having to restore to 3.1 with a BB upgrade, in which case it is highly unlikely you will be able to unlock any time soon.

      I would not risk it, or even risk installing anything, until you know you are safe.
      I agree. If someone could just make a tool to load and install the firmwares without the need of itunes, that would be epic.
    1. A_DuB187's Avatar
      A_DuB187 -
      Quote Originally Posted by StealthBravo View Post
      I agree. If someone could just make a tool to load and install the firmwares without the need of itunes, that would be epic.
      I agree! That would be SUPER epic.
    1. river0's Avatar
      river0 -
      Quote Originally Posted by confucious View Post
      The answer is a definite maybe.

      If I had a 3Gs I would not do anything, and I mean anything, to it now.

      UltraSn0w should work but some people had problems and if you do the advice is to do a clean restore - you can not do that.

      There is always the possibility of something going wrong when you install anything, usually there is a way round it. At the moment there is no way round on a 3Gs - if something goes wrong you run a very high risk of having to restore to 3.1 with a BB upgrade, in which case it is highly unlikely you will be able to unlock any time soon.

      I would not risk it, or even risk installing anything, until you know you are safe.
      Excellent advice. Thanks!