• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • How to Capture Your iPhone 3GS iBEC and iBSS on Mac
    This guide will help you to get some important iBEC and iBSS files for your iPhone 3GS which will be required for jailbreak once it is released.

    Things you Need:

    We recommned you to backup before following the steps.

    Follow the steps below to get the files:

    Step One:

    Click and Hold the Finder icon in the dock and select Go to Folder.. from the pop-up options.





    Step Two:

    Type "/Users/'your username'/Library/Caches/Cleanup At Startup" in the pop-up box and click the 'Go' button. (Remove '' part from 'your username'). This will open the 'Cleanup At Startup' folder in the Finder window. Leave this window open.





    Step Three:

    Create a new folder, 'MOST IMPORTANT FILES IN THE WORLD' in this example.



    Step Four:

    Open iTunes and connect your iPhone 3GS to the computer in DFU Mode. Select it from the list of devices in the left sidebar. Hold option and click Restore button. Navigate to the iPhone firmware you downloaded before, select it and click 'Open'.



    Your iPhone will now begin restoring to the 3.0 firmware. You will be warned that this will erase your phone. Click the 'Restore' button to continue.



    Step Five:

    When the restore is in progress check the "/Users/'your username'/Library/Caches/Cleanup At Startup" folder you opened before. A new folder will appear with a name similar to 'iPhone Temporary Files.noindex'. When the folder appears, select it, and press Command+c to copy it to the clipboard.



    Open the 'MOST IMPORTANT FILES IN THE WORLD' folder you made before and paste 'iPhone Temporary Files.noindex' there. This will make a copy of your unique iBEC and iBSS.



    Make sure you finish these steps before the restore is completed and you're done!

    All the credit for the technique goes to DevTeam

    P.S. Thanks to Melech518 for all the screenshots!

    UPDATE: If you have already obtained a USB Dump from Purplera1n.com, no need to follow the guide

    UPDATE 2: Seems that Purplera1n just gives iBSS so if you want iBEC as well (can't restore to totally stock 3.0 without it), follow this method as well.
    This article was originally published in forum thread: How to Capture Your iPhone 3GS iBEC and iBSS on Mac started by sayam View original post
    Comments 159 Comments
    1. Melech518's Avatar
      Melech518 -
      Quote Originally Posted by ryan christopher View Post
      Which icon set are you using for the folders?
      Hi, I am sorry I do not remember the name of the icons.
      Quote Originally Posted by Magnum View Post
      so can i get a simple answer?....i did the purple rain thing...is that good enough? or do i HAVE to do this?...and i dont even have a mac so i would have to do extra work that im too lazy to do...is this absolutely neccasary?
      If you want to be able to restore to 3.0 in the future you should do these steps.
    1. lov3christian's Avatar
      lov3christian -
      i updated to the 3.1 beta can i still do this?
    1. vriesfde's Avatar
      vriesfde -
      Did the entire procedure again using the terminal script from iClarified.
      This time I get IBEC and IBSS created today/current time!
      Strangely enough I am sure both file were created at 7:59, after some seconds my IBEC creation time was 8:00.

      Could it be that during the DFU restore process multiple instances/versions of IBECV and IBSS are written to HD?

      If so, how can we be sure to get the right one?

      In any case, I don't see any reason for PANIC yet, we can always repeat the DFU procedure with our 3.0 ipsw if we happen to have the wrong files now.
    1. laz305's Avatar
      laz305 -
      ok I have done it like 3x and can only get my iBEC can someone tell me how to get my iBSS plz? right now I'm fresh from a restore backup.
    1. reeko's Avatar
      reeko -
      Quote Originally Posted by vriesfde View Post
      Update: I checked the creation date of the IBSS and IBEC files inside the downloaded 3.0 ipsw, these are from 22 May 2009!
      So, they (the 21May ones) are definitely not the files from the firmware parked in a temp folder, but they are from the phone itself.
      if you downloaed the firmware an it ends in .ipsw.zip, simply rename it and delete the .zip so it becomes only .ipsw

      Then follow the method on iClarified
    1. Mp3Supply's Avatar
      Mp3Supply -
      Quote Originally Posted by ricm68 View Post
      I get a message that tells me that the folder doesn't exist. What am I doing wrong???
      Any ideas.
      Thanks.
      be more specific. do you mean when you use the iBEC and iBSS Grabber???

      If so, you need to press the ...and make a folder somewhere on your local machine that you can point the grabber to store the files in while its "watcing"


    1. rkswat's Avatar
      rkswat -
      I used the grabber, worked great! (crashed after it copied the folders but I got them so no harm) Thanks for all your hard work every one.
    1. Mp3Supply's Avatar
      Mp3Supply -
      Quote Originally Posted by rkswat View Post
      I used the grabber, worked great! (crashed after it copied the folders but I got them so no harm) Thanks for all your hard work every one.
      yah it crashed when i did it to, but its after it collects the files...
    1. bobright's Avatar
      bobright -
      Nice tool for no0bs lol

      really wasnt hard at all
    1. laz305's Avatar
      laz305 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Mp3Supply View Post
      be more specific. do you mean when you use the iBEC and iBSS Grabber???

      If so, you need to press the ...and make a folder somewhere on your local machine that you can point the grabber to store the files in while its "watcing"


      where do we get this grabber and how to use it?
    1. vriesfde's Avatar
      vriesfde -
      Quote Originally Posted by reeko View Post
      if you downloaed the firmware an it ends in .ipsw.zip, simply rename it and delete the .zip so it becomes only .ipsw

      Then follow the method on iClarified
      Thanks for the tip, however I already knew this, iPhone user since version 1.02.....
    1. jerrykid323's Avatar
      jerrykid323 -
      Quote Originally Posted by lov3christian View Post
      i updated to the 3.1 beta can i still do this?


      I dont believe you can , it was reported not to upgrade to 3.1
    1. wildturkey's Avatar
      wildturkey -
      if you mess up the first time can you restore from backup and try it again? Please Help
    1. ronfin44's Avatar
      ronfin44 -
      Quote Originally Posted by bmp06gti View Post
      omg hurry the **** up with the jail break already

      laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaag
      Dear child, you have to learn patience. It's annoying people like yourself that wanna rush right into everything and then cry when you brick your dads new iPhone. When the jailbreak is released, it's released, so save us all the minor annoyance of looking at posts like this, ok? *sigh*

      This is why I've lost compassion for all the idiots that rush into upgrading to the latest FW on day one and then realize they did something wrong, or they're too stupid to follow VERY SIMPLE INSTRUCTIONS as a PRECAUTION for a future jailbreak. Who knows. We might not need these files, but if the people resposible for creating the Jailbreak method "suggest" we get them as a precaution, then why do we see page after page of people asking why? Why not? It takes a little time, is simple as hell to do even if you're a Caveman, and later if you don't need them will it kill you to just delete them? Christ. This isn't rocket science. Those of us that had to jailbreak our 2G's back before the fancy GUI Jailbreak apps were available knew what patience it took to do this. Now it's a cake-walk. Two Restores to get these files is too much for some of you?! That's funny.

      To the OP, thanks for the info. I'm on a PC and did the two Restores to grab both files even though I did the purplra1n method yesterday. I'm in the minority of patient individuals that enjoy taking my time to do things right the first time I guess. Also, thanks to everyone else that contributed valuable info for the Windows users here. Much appreciated.

      **EDIT** No shock that after I posted this I read that more people upgraded to 3.1 and are NOT Devs. Morons.

      Quote Originally Posted by wildturkey View Post
      if you mess up the first time can you restore from backup and try it again? Please Help
      Yeah, don't worry about it. You can Restore as many times as you have to if you missed grabbing the folder on the first attempt.

      <---Wissinoming guy eating a Chinks steak while posting this. lol
    1. Squeaky369's Avatar
      Squeaky369 -
      Quote Originally Posted by ronfin44 View Post
      Dear child, you have to learn patience. It's annoying people like yourself that wanna rush right into everything and then cry when you brick your dads new iPhone. When the jailbreak is released, it's released, so save us all the minor annoyance of looking at posts like this, ok? *sigh*

      This is why I've lost compassion for all the idiots that rush into upgrading to the latest FW on day one and then realize they did something wrong, or they're too stupid to follow VERY SIMPLE INSTRUCTIONS as a PRECAUTION for a future jailbreak. Who knows. We might not need these files, but if the people resposible for creating the Jailbreak method "suggest" we get them as a precaution, then why do we see page after page of people asking why? Why not? It takes a little time, is simple as hell to do even if you're a Caveman, and later if you don't need them will it kill you to just delete them? Christ. This isn't rocket science. Those of us that had to jailbreak our 2G's back before the fancy GUI Jailbreak apps were available knew what patience it took to do this. Now it's a cake-walk. Two Restores to get these files is too much for some of you?! That's funny.

      To the OP, thanks for the info. I'm on a PC and did the two Restores to grab both files even though I did the purplra1n method yesterday. I'm in the minority of patient individuals that enjoy taking my time to do things right the first time I guess. Also, thanks to everyone else that contributed valuable info for the Windows users here. Much appreciated.

      **EDIT** No shock that after I posted this I read that more people upgraded to 3.1 and are NOT Devs. Morons.



      Yeah, don't worry about it. You can Restore as many times as you have to if you missed grabbing the folder on the first attempt.

      <---Wissinoming guy eating a Chinks steak while posting this. lol
      I second that.

      As much as I want the JB now, I would rather wait a few more days, then have to re-do it a dozen times because we rushed them... It took almost six months for the iPod Touch 2G, and the 3GS has only been out for roughly two weeks...
    1. reeko's Avatar
      reeko -
      Who cares about the iPod Touch 2G? People who buy that will only end up either buying an iPhone or selling the Touch
    1. ronfin44's Avatar
      ronfin44 -
      Quote Originally Posted by reeko View Post
      Who cares about the iPod Touch 2G? People who buy that will only end up either buying an iPhone or selling the Touch
      haha what? I love how scientific you make your OPINION out to be to cloak how stupid that statement is. lol. Hundreds of thousands of iPod Touch's have been sold, so I'd have to say a LOT of people care about them. I know a bunch of people at work with them that aren't iPhone owners or even care about the iPhone.

      Not a day goes by on [here] I don't read something as silly as this, posted by another opinionated individual.
    1. talibatab's Avatar
      talibatab -
      can i do this procedure even if my iphone is totally "new" (locked and not activated)?
    1. reeko's Avatar
      reeko -
      Quote Originally Posted by ronfin44 View Post
      haha what? I love how scientific you make your OPINION out to be to cloak how stupid that statement is. lol. Hundreds of thousands of iPod Touch's have been sold, so I'd have to say a LOT of people care about them. I know a bunch of people at work with them that aren't iPhone owners or even care about the iPhone.

      Not a day goes by on [here] I don't read something as silly as this, posted by another opinionated individual.
      Fishing, no bait, and caught a n00b. Congratulations
    1. ronfin44's Avatar
      ronfin44 -
      Quote Originally Posted by reeko View Post
      Fishing, no bait, and caught a n00b. Congratulations

      I would re-check that join date before you use the term n00b to mask being a simple jackass. The only thing you caught was heat for being called out on your stupidity and arrogance . Maybe you should go fishing for real, and take the prepubescant act with ya. You're exactly the type of person I was refering too earlier. Thanks for validating my statement. Have a great night and add more useless posts after this.