• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • AT&T 3.0 Firmware MMS and Tethering Details
    So we know that AT&T is going to be behind everyone else in allowing MMS and tethering once iPhone 3.0 firmware is released. The question is why. A BoyGenius report via one of their "AT&T Ninjas" fills in the supposed details.

    MMS
    The reason AT&T is going to be slow on getting MMS provisioned for iPhones is laughable. To prevent MMS from working properly on iPhones AT&T has added "Opt Out MMS codes" to iPhone accounts preventing MMS. Once the codes are taken off accounts MMS will work fine on the iPhone with 3.0 firmware at no additional cost -- it is included with the standard $20 SMS/data plan required for iPhones already. The catch is AT&T has to removed these Op Out MMS codes from every iPhone account manually. Hah.

    Tethering
    Tethering for AT&T is a different monster. The delay is reported to be completely intentional on AT&T's part and at the launch of iPhone firmware 3.0 tethering will be disabled entirely for AT&T customers. It will become an option at a later date as soon as AT&T has managed to cobble together na unlimited data tethering plan for the iPhone at expense of an additional $70/mo.
    This article was originally published in forum thread: AT&T 3.0 Firmware MMS and Tethering Details started by Cody Overcash View original post
    Comments 87 Comments
    1. Happy Noodle Boy's Avatar
      Happy Noodle Boy -
      I cannot stop laughing at how awesome the MMS "fix" is. Manually going through millions of iPhone accounts.
    1. mr.sparky's Avatar
      mr.sparky -
      $70 on top of the $30 we already pay?
    1. Poseidon79's Avatar
      Poseidon79 -
      $70 a month? This is absurd considering their 3G express card is $50 a month.
    1. Happy Noodle Boy's Avatar
      Happy Noodle Boy -
      Quote Originally Posted by mr.sparky View Post
      $70 on top of the $30 we already pay?
      I think it's going to be $70 for Data and Tethering so you're looking at $40 for tethering which is around what tethering costs everywhere.
    1. Rescuer's Avatar
      Rescuer -
      tethering bluetooth via pdanet should work just fine though, right?
    1. Happy Noodle Boy's Avatar
      Happy Noodle Boy -
      Quote Originally Posted by Rescuer View Post
      tethering bluetooth via pdanet should work just fine though, right?
      Now that AT&T has come with an official solution, be VERY VERY VERY CAREFUL of going around their way. Like I've said before, it's really really easy for AT&T to know if you're tethering and now that it's going to be making it money they're going to be keeping a closer eye on iPhone accounts.
    1. nrowensby's Avatar
      nrowensby -
      I must've somehow managed to get my OptOut Provision removed a while back because I have had no trouble with MMS in any of the 3.0beta's including the GM version that I'm running now
    1. dh96's Avatar
      dh96 -
      If they really need to edit each account manually for MMS then its safe to say their database consists of monkeys filing papers in gigantic filing cabinets.
    1. lshin037's Avatar
      lshin037 -
      This is one of the disadvantages of having AT&T. When I had a Blackberry with Tmobile, tethering was free and unlimited. My brother who had the same blackberry but with AT&T, had to pay like $25 extra for tethering.
    1. Melech518's Avatar
      Melech518 -
      So if we have unlocked phones on T-Mobile, no additional costs??? Lets just hope we get an update of yellowsn0w for 3.0 soon...
    1. lshin037's Avatar
      lshin037 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Melech518 View Post
      So if we have unlocked phones on T-Mobile, no additional costs??? Lets just hope we get an update of yellowsn0w for 3.0 soon...
      I think you have to have the blackberry data plan but you didnt have to pay extra for the tethering.
    1. fletch33's Avatar
      fletch33 -
      i have been tethering my iPhone for a long time and all of my phones for 5 years or so before this one. if you are reasonable about your usage it is impossible for them to catch you.

      as little as i need tethering i can not justify another dollar spent for it.

      so you can either pay them this ridiculous $70 or JB and use PDANet or update your carrier profile if that continues to work like it is working now.

      the iPhone can suck down some data and if you use it here and there and not to download movies to your laptop you should be safe.
    1. Poseidon79's Avatar
      Poseidon79 -
      I'm wondering what their policy will be once the 3.0 plan comes out on customers calling and requesting the code to be removed. It would seem to be that if it must be done manually then every subscriber will have it working at a different time depending on when they get around to your particular account. They can't just activate everyone all at once.
    1. mr.sparky's Avatar
      mr.sparky -
      Quote Originally Posted by Happy Noodle Boy View Post
      I think it's going to be $70 for Data and Tethering so you're looking at $40 for tethering which is around what tethering costs everywhere.
      Well that's not too bad...if its really unlimited... my friend got kicked off from AT@T DSL and Comcast internet. he downloaded over 500 gigs in a month....
    1. V.A.M.P's Avatar
      V.A.M.P -
      Damm. What are they thinking? come on, adding ridiculous prices as if the economic has bloom? what the hell?
    1. irajames1176's Avatar
      irajames1176 -
      Quote Originally Posted by nrowensby View Post
      I must've somehow managed to get my OptOut Provision removed a while back because I have had no trouble with MMS in any of the 3.0beta's including the GM version that I'm running now
      I'm using the GM also, so how did you get the MMS icon on Messages? I downloaded an IPCC file and all I get is tethering?
    1. Happy Noodle Boy's Avatar
      Happy Noodle Boy -
      Quote Originally Posted by mr.sparky View Post
      Well that's not too bad...if its really unlimited... my friend got kicked off from AT@T DSL and Comcast internet. he downloaded over 500 gigs in a month....
      Tell him to stop pirating and downloading illegal stuff so much.
    1. lshin037's Avatar
      lshin037 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Happy Noodle Boy View Post
      Tell him to stop pirating and downloading illegal stuff so much.
      ^+1. I got an email from Charter a few months ago after I tried downloading a pirated movie. Attached to it was an email from the monitoring company advising Charter to terminate my services right away. I won't be doing that again!
    1. JuanK20's Avatar
      JuanK20 -
      I guess the AT&T customer service phone lines will be very busy on June 19th! As soon as 3.0 comes out i want my MMS!
    1. StevenB's Avatar
      StevenB -
      Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
      I'm wondering what their policy will be once the 3.0 plan comes out on customers calling and requesting the code to be removed. It would seem to be that if it must be done manually then every subscriber will have it working at a different time depending on when they get around to your particular account. They can't just activate everyone all at once.
      I'll try that a day or so once 3.0 comes out. How else will we know when MMS is working on our particular account?