• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • Using Veency to Deal With Reception Loss



    Veency has been around for quite some time and many of you have probably already used it. Developed by Jay Freeman (Saurik), Veency is a VNC Server for your jailbroken iPhone. VNC is essentially an desktop sharing system that allows you to remotely control another computer. Keyboard and mouse events are sent from one computer to another, while an image is sent back, allowing you to see what is happening in real time.

    Since I have recently moved to the mountains, I have found dead spots in different areas, and full in others only a few feet apart. The one that particularly grinds my gears is my new office, which receives a lovely "No Service". However, if I step outside or go upstairs, the reception is great with full bars and 3G.

    It had occurred to me that Veency would be a fantastic way to still get reception, while working in the office. And naturally, with everyone these days complaining about reception problems, I figured I'd put together this short guide on getting Veency set up, in the scenario that you've never used a VNC before. So if your can find a good spot where you get great reception, this is where you'll plug your iPhone in (yes you'll want to leave it charging). Make sure Wi-Fi is connected (you'll need this) and download Veency from Rock/Cydia.

    Once you've installed Veency, you'll want to set a password for the VNC Server. Go to Settings -> Veency -> Password. That's it, your phone is all set. Make a note of the IP address of your iPhone (if you have SBSettings, just swipe at the top) and leave your iPhone where it gets the best reception.

    Now you'll need a VNC Viewer for your PC/Mac. If your on a Mac, head over to Apple - Downloads - Networking & Security - Chicken of the VNC. Chicken of The VNC is free and a great client. If your on a PC, then head over to RealVNC - VNC Viewer Free Edition 4.1 for Windows. VNC Viewer is free and does everything you need.



    Once you've installed either of these clients, you will simply enter the IP address of your iPhone. Once a connection is made you should see your iPhone's screen displayed on your PC/Mac. Your mouse will function as the touch input and your keyboard works great for typing.

    Voila, you can now text, watch for calls, take snapshots, record video, whatever your heart desires. The streaming is a little bit choppy but it's better than not having any reception at all. Just think of different ways you can use this setup.



    What do you use Veency for? I realize there are many different reasons one would use Veency and it's interesting to see what people are doing. For example, I have a friend who actually has no reception in his work office. He leaves his phone in his car, uses MyWi to create a WiFi network, and with Veency he can sneak onto his iPhone without actually looking like he ever uses his phone. Let's hear your story.


    Veency Package Details
    Repo: Tangelo (Saurik)
    Version: 0.9.3197-1
    Author: Jay Freeman (saurik)
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Using Veency to Deal With Reception Loss started by nickhesson View original post
    Comments 87 Comments
    1. Eagleye's Avatar
      Eagleye -
      I do pretty much the same. I get no reception in my office because its all steel and concrete, but if I place my phone by the window across the room I can get full bars. Works great! Another thing I do is at school I keep my phone in my pocket on wifi and can use my laptop to check text messages with the prof thinking im still taking notes and not texting... lol. The only thing I would like though would be to be able to use the built-in mic and speakers to recieve and make calls over veency while in the office. That would be awesome.
    1. iNT3Rv3NTiONZz's Avatar
      iNT3Rv3NTiONZz -
      Lol this is so ideal I don't get signal in my room but do around my house, also you could set up a cheek microphone and speaker set up nxt to the fone and were tour sitting so you can make calls whilst being nowhere near the phone!!! Thank-you
    1. hackint0uch's Avatar
      hackint0uch -
      Quote Originally Posted by Eagleye View Post
      I do pretty much the same. I get no reception in my office because its all steel and concrete, but if I place my phone by the window across the room I can get full bars. Works great! Another thing I do is at school I keep my phone in my pocket on wifi and can use my laptop to check text messages with the prof thinking im still taking notes and not texting... lol. The only thing I would like though would be to be able to use the built-in mic and speakers to recieve and make calls over veency while in the office. That would be awesome.
      Great Idea!
    1. diemer's Avatar
      diemer -
      If you're on os x leopard or higher there's no reason to get Chicken of the Vnc. Just type vnc://youripaddress into safari
    1. whereswaldo's Avatar
      whereswaldo -
      I occasionally use Veency, but not very often because there is no way to press the home or power button, if there was I might actually use it
    1. wolverinemarky's Avatar
      wolverinemarky -
      wow that sounds pretty cool im gonna do that when i get my iphone 4
    1. whereswaldo's Avatar
      whereswaldo -
      Quote Originally Posted by wolverinemarky View Post
      wow that sounds pretty cool im gonna do that when i get my iphone 4
      You wont be able to, it will come with 4.0.2 so you cant jailbreak it
    1. wolverinemarky's Avatar
      wolverinemarky -
      Quote Originally Posted by whereswaldo View Post
      You wont be able to, it will come with 4.0.2 so you cant jailbreak it
      guess we will have to wait and see i already ordered it on apple.com suppose to arrive on the 26th
    1. rryyddeerr's Avatar
      rryyddeerr -
      couldnt get the controls to work at all. cool idea. but very limited implementation.
    1. yzqpc's Avatar
      yzqpc -
      Quote Originally Posted by whereswaldo View Post
      I occasionally use Veency, but not very often because there is no way to press the home or power button, if there was I might actually use it
      Hi
      It's the scroll button and the right click button of your mouse
    1. eg6motion's Avatar
      eg6motion -
      This is funny. People are so bent on keeping their iPhones, even when they can't use them. This is quite the workaround to make a call lol. Glad mine works where I am at, would hate to have to VNC to my roof-mounted iPhone, while running a signal amplifier on full-moon nights and then sacrificing virgins to please the ATT gods.
    1. delusion950's Avatar
      delusion950 -
      Quote Originally Posted by eg6motion View Post
      This is funny. People are so bent on keeping their iPhones, even when they can't use them. This is quite the workaround to make a call lol. Glad mine works where I am at, would hate to have to VNC to my roof-mounted iPhone, while running a signal amplifier on full-moon nights and then sacrificing virgins to please the ATT gods.
      lol
    1. SI51's Avatar
      SI51 -
      Mouse misalignment? So I got this to work (Thank you kindly, sir!) But when it is running my cursor on my computer does not match the cursor on the iphone any fix for this?
    1. Borsato92's Avatar
      Borsato92 -
      Quote Originally Posted by SI51 View Post
      Mouse misalignment? So I got this to work (Thank you kindly, sir!) But when it is running my cursor on my computer does not match the cursor on the iphone any fix for this?
      Ive seen to have the same problem but the vnc screen on my pc is just black anyone with help?
    1. MannerRev's Avatar
      MannerRev -
      It looks like it's just a scale issue. Should work fine with the older iPhone/iTouch resolutions, but since the iphone 4 is effectively scaled up, only the top left corner will match. Otherwise, when the black square is at the middle (horizontally), the actual cursor will be way at the bottom. So, yeah, looks like a simple mouse scaling issue.
    1. yeah's Avatar
      yeah -
      So this would be great for those of us who arent supposed to use our phone at work. Plug it in and put it away to use on our screen instead but what about those of us at work that dont have adminisrator access to install a client? Is there a web based client or another creative solution.
    1. sirwerd1's Avatar
      sirwerd1 -
      (on pc) right clicking the screen is home button, at least on tightvnc that works
    1. TheSmartGuy's Avatar
      TheSmartGuy -
      I just get a black screen when I use RealVNC to connect to my iPod Touch. I can see everything I'm doing on my iPod, but the VNC window is blank. So yeah.
    1. JazJon's Avatar
      JazJon -
      Quote Originally Posted by MannerRev View Post
      It looks like it's just a scale issue. Should work fine with the older iPhone/iTouch resolutions, but since the iphone 4 is effectively scaled up, only the top left corner will match. Otherwise, when the black square is at the middle (horizontally), the actual cursor will be way at the bottom. So, yeah, looks like a simple mouse scaling issue.
      Yup, the mouse-cursor is way off on the iPhone 4. Can someone contact the developer to see if an update is on the way?

      Also, what is the best Insomnia app to keep WiFi active while using vvnc? If WiFi disconnects, we can't connect remotely obviously. Is Insomnia 4.0 ready? (havnt used it since last year)
      http://forums.macrumors.com/showthre...1#post10838243
    1. santacruzlocal's Avatar
      santacruzlocal -
      <-- Black screen on PC