• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • Verizon Says They "Could Handle" iPhone in 2010


    Reports have been coming for some time that the exclusive deal Apple negotiated with AT&T will end in the coming year. Without knowing for sure if that will come to pass, though, Verizon Wireless says it's ready. According to a senior executive, the carrier has made the changes it would need to make to its network in order to handle what would obviously be a new surge in data traffic.

    “Absolutely, I think we could handle it,” Verizon Wireless CTO Anthony Melone told Bloomberg BusinessWeek. The second-largest carrier in the United States has been buying other companies to augment its network operations, having paid $27 billion to buy Alltel this year. In picking up the rural carrier, it's added a network with good coverage in the Southeast United States as well as California, Nevada, and Arizona.

    Verizon has spent about $19 billion on its network over the past three years, while AT&T has actually spent less on its network since the iPhone launch than it had before. While AT&T was recently rated the worst carrier in terms of customer satisfaction, Verizon took first place in that survey "It comes down to backing that process with money," Melone told BusinessWeek. "We've been more consistent than any carrier in the last 10 years investing year over year."

    Making the iPhone compatible Verizon's CDMA network would require completely different hardware than the current UMTS/GSM device. It's been rumored that a dual-mode phone - with a new chip made by Qualcomm - is being prepared for the second half of next year. It's unknown if such a phone would be ready in time, but obviously Verizon is not waiting to find out.

    image via the momentum of failure
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Verizon Says They "Could Handle" iPhone in 2010 started by Paul Daniel Ash View original post
    Comments 65 Comments
    1. bigdefense77's Avatar
      bigdefense77 -
      Quote Originally Posted by bengo View Post
      Wrong...

      The fact is Verizon attacked AT&T's 3G coverage. AT&T had no comeback, beside suing Verizon, so they had to make some lame commercial about voice and data at the same time, or 3G data speeds, IF you can get 3G...
      What did I say that was "wrong"?

      You just said yourself they made commercials about 3G speed (pro-AT&T) and coverage (pro-Verizon). You may think AT&Ts rebut about Speed and Data/Voice is lame, but it doesn't mean I was wrong. We're talking about 3G here.

      Is the commercial being lame a "fact" too?

      My earlier post was simply trying to argue that it isn't false advertising for AT&T to tout their data and voice capabilities without saying it's only available on the 3G portion of their network.
    1. Cer0's Avatar
      Cer0 -
      Doesn't the small text that nobody reads at the bottom of the commercials state 3G only and not on EDGE. I thought I saw it saying that.
    1. n7x's Avatar
      n7x -
      I love the fact how people will come up with these "facts" about faster network or some-other crap like that. Where are you basing your facts from? I smell fanboyism for AT&T. People will say the most stupidest bullcrap to make a point.

      "Like oh my god,well my cellphone has a faster internet"
      Yeah, when you are in the 3G zone, which isn't all that common on AT&T.

      "Well studies have shown that AT&T has more EDGE!"
      Oh really? Well EDGE isn't the same freaking thing as 3G. Get your facts straight.

      "Well the AT&T is the best network"
      I had T-Mo, AT&T, and Verizon. T-mo, some good customer service, service was crappy in the area where I work. AT&T, worst customer service ever, they hire goons to work as representatives. Coverage wise, drop calls more then the clouds dropped the rain. Verizon, great service, they will replace your phone for free with a valid reason, and they are always working things out, in my personal experience. Coverage wise, 3G at full bars in most of Denver, 1X is at full in the mountains.

      More reasons why Verizon is better?
      I turned off my messaging plan by error, I sent about ~1000 messages and received around the same. Total charge? ~$750. I gave them a call and explained the situation. They worked it out and I didn't pay for it.

      I had the LG Voyager ((The iPhone Killer, cough cough)). I broke the antenna for fun, and scratched it for fun. They replaced it without any fees. I done this trick about 9-10 times. No charges have been issued to me at all.

      I recently replaced my Voyager and I messed with the data settings and turned it off by "accident". Not realizing this could cause trouble, I noticed that my data usage for my Voyager was around 218 mb in 4 days((I use a tethering hack on it)). I gave them a call and they fixed it. Now I pay $15/month for unlimited data, and I tether it. I love Verizon.

      If this happens, I would gladly by the iPhone since my 3 year old dumbphone needs to be replaced anyway.

      So cut the crap, learn from real experience and not some bullshitting "research".

      -N7X

      PS: The percentage of the people who are actually using the iPhone to its full capability is fairly small, from my experience. Source? Rich Russian church.
    1. bigdefense77's Avatar
      bigdefense77 -
      This has got to be the funniest post I've seen on these boards. N7X you are a blithering idiot.

      Quote Originally Posted by n7x View Post
      I love the fact how people will come up with these "facts" about faster network or some-other crap like that. Where are you basing your facts from? I smell fanboyism for AT&T. People will say the most stupidest bullcrap to make a point.
      The FACT that AT&Ts network is faster isn't some other crap like that, it's an actual fact. Yes, the kind that you can't disregard just because it doesn't support your argument.

      Quote Originally Posted by n7x View Post
      "Like oh my god,well my cellphone has a faster internet"
      Yeah, when you are in the 3G zone, which isn't all that common on AT&T.
      Not a fact.

      Quote Originally Posted by n7x View Post
      "Well studies have shown that AT&T has more EDGE!"
      Oh really? Well EDGE isn't the same freaking thing as 3G. Get your facts straight.
      What? Who said that? Verizon doesn't even have edge.

      Quote Originally Posted by n7x View Post
      "Well the AT&T is the best network"
      I had T-Mo, AT&T, and Verizon. T-mo, some good customer service, service was crappy in the area where I work. AT&T, worst customer service ever, they hire goons to work as representatives. Coverage wise, drop calls more then the clouds dropped the rain. Verizon, great service, they will replace your phone for free with a valid reason, and they are always working things out, in my personal experience. Coverage wise, 3G at full bars in most of Denver, 1X is at full in the mountains.
      Each network has it's pros and cons. Whichever pros and cons are more important to you, should dictate which network you think is best. Since that's an opinion as well. If you want speed you should go with ATT. If you want better coverage you should go with Verizon.

      It's funny you were complaining about facts earlier when you have yet to mention one. All you've done is bring up anecdotal evidence from your own personal experience in one city. Where as the aforementioned study was a multi-city one, conducted done by an unbiased 3rd party.

      Quote Originally Posted by n7x View Post
      More reasons why Verizon is better?
      I turned off my messaging plan by error, I sent about ~1000 messages and received around the same. Total charge? ~$750. I gave them a call and explained the situation. They worked it out and I didn't pay for it.
      Yay! More anecdotes. For every story like this there are 100 similar stories for AT&T customers.

      Quote Originally Posted by n7x View Post
      I had the LG Voyager ((The iPhone Killer, cough cough)). I broke the antenna for fun, and scratched it for fun. They replaced it without any fees. I done this trick about 9-10 times. No charges have been issued to me at all.
      Oh great, so you scam Voyagers from Verizon and they don't charge you for them. This means three things:

      1) You're a douchebag.
      2) Verizon is stupid.
      3) The supposed "iPhone killer" voyager phone must be relatively worthless if Verizon is just giving them away like that.

      Quote Originally Posted by n7x View Post
      I recently replaced my Voyager and I messed with the data settings and turned it off by "accident". Not realizing this could cause trouble, I noticed that my data usage for my Voyager was around 218 mb in 4 days((I use a tethering hack on it)). I gave them a call and they fixed it. Now I pay $15/month for unlimited data, and I tether it. I love Verizon.
      That isn't what this thread or argument is about, is it?

      Oh, you love Verizon? Sh*t I'd love them too if they replaced phones I intentionally destroyed for fun. That's what you do fun fun? You seem like a FUN guy!


      Quote Originally Posted by n7x View Post
      So cut the crap, learn from real experience and not some bullshitting "research".
      Please elaborate on how the research is "********."

      Haha. It's sad that I have to point this out... but not everyone has the same experiences. You're trying to refute a study with your own experience in one city. I would say nice try, but it was a pathetic attempt to defend the network you so love.

      Like I said before, I'll be the first to admit Verizon has a larger 3G coverage area. But it's also slower. And from what the study shows, AT&T is the fastest network, which isn't hard to imagine since they cover a smaller geographical area.

      Now, in my OPINION, I'd rather have the faster network since I've never experienced the trouble with AT&T a lot of people are whining about and I live in an area with a large population with good service.
    1. confucious's Avatar
      confucious -
      I still thgink T-Mobile is by far the best, fastest 3G speeds on my iPhone, best coverage and best CS.

      But then, if you don't frequent the same areas as me then you are likely to think differently.

      No one network is 'best' each has their pros and cons and depending on the areas you frequent you will get different results.

      Pity you guys/gals in the USA don't have 'choice' though. Unlike the rest of the world

      Merry Christmas!