• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • Verizon Says They "Could Handle" iPhone in 2010


    Reports have been coming for some time that the exclusive deal Apple negotiated with AT&T will end in the coming year. Without knowing for sure if that will come to pass, though, Verizon Wireless says it's ready. According to a senior executive, the carrier has made the changes it would need to make to its network in order to handle what would obviously be a new surge in data traffic.

    “Absolutely, I think we could handle it,” Verizon Wireless CTO Anthony Melone told Bloomberg BusinessWeek. The second-largest carrier in the United States has been buying other companies to augment its network operations, having paid $27 billion to buy Alltel this year. In picking up the rural carrier, it's added a network with good coverage in the Southeast United States as well as California, Nevada, and Arizona.

    Verizon has spent about $19 billion on its network over the past three years, while AT&T has actually spent less on its network since the iPhone launch than it had before. While AT&T was recently rated the worst carrier in terms of customer satisfaction, Verizon took first place in that survey "It comes down to backing that process with money," Melone told BusinessWeek. "We've been more consistent than any carrier in the last 10 years investing year over year."

    Making the iPhone compatible Verizon's CDMA network would require completely different hardware than the current UMTS/GSM device. It's been rumored that a dual-mode phone - with a new chip made by Qualcomm - is being prepared for the second half of next year. It's unknown if such a phone would be ready in time, but obviously Verizon is not waiting to find out.

    image via the momentum of failure
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Verizon Says They "Could Handle" iPhone in 2010 started by Paul Daniel Ash View original post
    Comments 65 Comments
    1. politicalslug's Avatar
      politicalslug -
      Am I the only one who thinks its a bonehead move to spend nearly 30 billion dollars buying a smaller network when that money could have gone toward building out their current 3G and upcoming 4G networks. Clearly the customers will come when the service and phone selection is good. Buying a competing network for their customers is nonsense. At most they keep them for two years before their contracts are up. Look at what happened with Sprint buying Nextel for their customers. As soon as the contract is up they jump ship and yet 10s of billions of dollars that could have, and should have, gone toward infrastructure is lost. I know you'll say but they've spent 19 billion dollars so far. That's over three years. It could have been 19 billion EACH YEAR.
    1. imfillinit's Avatar
      imfillinit -
      ok I dont get it. for all of you ATT fanboys who say verizon hasn't had a surge of data, please tell me what other smart phones they have? Blackberry, winmo, android. iPhone isn't the only phone that consumes DATA.

      While ATT does sell a **** load of iphones, Verizon continues to probably lead the Blackberry turf with all their promos, and they have been selling new droid phones like hotcakes.

      Oh yea, I don't even have Verizon. I left ATT and my iPhone to go with Sprint and the HTC Hero. Less dropped calls and more consistant 3G network. I will say that the iPhone was the best phone i've ever used, it sucks to be on ATT. I live in a metro area in southern california and the ATT 3g service is a joke. 3G is no good if you can't even stay in 3G while driving around metro areas.
    1. iphone49er's Avatar
      iphone49er -
      a bunch of you sound like whiny b*tches honestly. if you're happy with AT&T why do you even care if Verizon gets the iPhone or not? it's not gonna affect you in the least bit.

      really the only people that should care are the ones that want to dump AT&T (like me) and would like a different carrier, and existing verizon customers that want an iPhone but don't wanna leave their carrier. since when did cellphone providers start acquiring fanboys? this sh*t is ridiculous.

      the bottom line is that verizon has 89 million customers, and that's a lot of potential new iPhone owners. apple is in the business to sell their product.
    1. bigdefense77's Avatar
      bigdefense77 -
      Quote Originally Posted by imfillinit View Post
      ok I dont get it. for all of you ATT fanboys who say verizon hasn't had a surge of data, please tell me what other smart phones they have? Blackberry, winmo, android. iPhone isn't the only phone that consumes DATA.
      Why are you people constantly accusing others of being "fanboys"? You sound like a retard when you say that.

      Anyways Verizon may have had a surge in data, but nothing comparable to what ATT has been experiencing since the first iPhone was released. Just look at the web browsing statistics which don't even take into account other handsets with different OS's that are still being used on ATTs network. Plus people download full MP3s, movies, and TV Shows onto their iPhones via iTunes and the app store. Not to mention torrents and other stuff people do with Jailbroken phones. What other devices do that on other carriers?

      AppleInsider | Apple's iPhone OS takes 40 percent of Web market share - study


      Quote Originally Posted by imfillinit View Post
      I live in a metro area in southern california and the ATT 3g service is a joke. 3G is no good if you can't even stay in 3G while driving around metro areas.
      I live there too and I've never had the problems you're talking about. All I know is that compared the other carriers I've used, ATT is far better. I don't have anything against Verizon, I just think it's funny that people assume they'd be able to immediately handle a ton of iPhones without any issue.

      Plus it's going to be hilarious when everyone is ******** about their $350 early termination fees that Verizon recently implemented. After 23 months of the contract, that's still $125 pro-rated to cancel.
    1. politicalslug's Avatar
      politicalslug -
      Quote Originally Posted by lll2for3lll View Post
      I was told that T-Mobile has a faster 3G network than both AT&T and Verizon. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I would like to know if this is true.
      Technically, at this point in time, T-Mobile and AT&T both offer the fastest varieties of 3G (7.2mbps HSPA) while Verizon and Sprint's EV-DO rev. A top out at about half of that. HOWEVER in real world usage none of the standards hit their potential. So, in regards to 3G, yes you could make the point that both T-Mobile and AT&T are faster than both Sprint and Verizon. In real world use AT&T's 3G build-out, in most markets, is superior in both speed and reliability to T-Mobile's. So no, T-Mobile is NOT the fastest provider. Additionally, T-Mobile is opting against a 4G LTE build-out in favor of a 21mbps HSPA variety, which should show up around the time AT&T and Verizon have near complete LTE networks. T-Mobile just can't afford to keep up.


      Quote Originally Posted by battlecrushr View Post
      AT&T and verizons is just faster. Just ask and ull see.
      At least I'm pretty sure
      Definitely maybe? Just faster? Re-read the above response.

      Quote Originally Posted by imfillinit View Post
      ok I dont get it. for all of you ATT fanboys who say verizon hasn't had a surge of data, please tell me what other smart phones they have? Blackberry, winmo, android. iPhone isn't the only phone that consumes DATA.

      While ATT does sell a **** load of iphones, Verizon continues to probably lead the Blackberry turf with all their promos, and they have been selling new droid phones like hotcakes.

      Oh yea, I don't even have Verizon. I left ATT and my iPhone to go with Sprint and the HTC Hero. Less dropped calls and more consistant 3G network. I will say that the iPhone was the best phone i've ever used, it sucks to be on ATT. I live in a metro area in southern california and the ATT 3g service is a joke. 3G is no good if you can't even stay in 3G while driving around metro areas.
      I have to call Bullsh*t on this one. I live in the San Fernando Valley (the largest of Los Angeles' suburban enclaves) and AT&T's service throughout all of the Los Angeles, Orange, and San Diego counties is superb. And it should be: San Diego was one of AT&T's first 3G test cities and Los Angeles was one of their first cities with the newer 7.2mbps HSPA networks. People have good cause in other areas to gripe about AT&T's service and coverage, but you don't hear that from SoCal. My guess is that when you claim to live in a 'metro' SoCal area you're either from a semi-ghetto like Bakersfield or Riverside, OR you're just spouting off for no good reason.
    1. confucious's Avatar
      confucious -
      I'm so glad I live in the UK where networks all use the same standards.

      No network is perfect and you get different reception in different areas.

      For me I chose T-Mobile as there network is fastest (for me) and their price plans and service are great, other people chose different networks. It's their choice.

      From a purely selfish point of view I hope verizon don't get the iPhone and to answer the person who asked why anyone should care it's because in order to use verizon Apple will have to use a dual mode chip which are usually adequate for both but not the best at either..

      It will be interesting to see how bad verizon get if they do get the iPhone.

      We have it lucky here in the UK as it is a much smaller area so the big four have coverage over most of the country. Not so easy in the USA.

      Good luck
    1. sziklassy's Avatar
      sziklassy -
      Quote Originally Posted by KartRacer View Post
      I have a hard time believing they have spent 36 billion on the network alone. They may have spent 36 billion company wide as a total, but definitely not on the network and it's coverage alone. And they have been touting how you can talk and surf at the same time but that's not entirely true, as soon as I make a call all of my data connection goes away on EDGE. On 3G you can talk and surf but for some reason I can't on EDGE where I live.
      Edge doesn't support this. What they are "touting" is their 3G network, hence they are able to say that you can surf data while on a call...
    1. addictedto3gs's Avatar
      addictedto3gs -
      Speaking of data/voice integration. How is Verizon going to handle that? As it is now, people may not see it but data/voice on the iPhone is pretty seamless and is used more often then one would assume. With the iPhone 4G coming with video conferencing, the function will require both data and voice to work. Does Verizon plan on upgrading its capabilities to allow both data and voice integration? If not, then I don't see the iPhone going to Verizon.
    1. ca3's Avatar
      ca3 -
      i find it hard to believe after all the bashing commercials that they would just hold hands and make up. Apple just bashed them i dont think they would turn around and be like oh now buy from Verizon now.....
    1. hollow0's Avatar
      hollow0 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Melech518 View Post
      At&t has the WORST absolute WORSE customer service as well as cellular service. This has already been established by several articles on this forum in the past month.
      Depends where you live though. My service is great and i can't complain. So even if verizon does offer the iPhone i'm sticking with AT&T. Besides they're cheaper than the V.

      Quote Originally Posted by ca3 View Post
      i find it hard to believe after all the bashing commercials that they would just hold hands and make up. Apple just bashed them i dont think they would turn around and be like oh now buy from Verizon now.....
      Because the droid was not all that favorable. They put soo hype into that robot phone and it never accomplished anything great. And now they want the iPhone because it's still the preferred phone over their acclaimed "droid does" phone.
    1. manintoy's Avatar
      manintoy -
      Can't Wait this to happen. i always have a drop calls no coverage in my area.Your world undeliveredd from AT&T.
    1. CaptainChaos's Avatar
      CaptainChaos -
      Quote Originally Posted by iphone49er View Post
      a bunch of you sound like whiny b*tches honestly. if you're happy with AT&T why do you even care if Verizon gets the iPhone or not? it's not gonna affect you in the least bit.
      I am an AT&T customer and it will directly effect me if Verizon gets the iPhone. It will cause two companies to compete with each other over plan pricing. I will be the winner.

      Verizon touts a large 3G network that has slow data speeds. I have used them and AT&T and AT&T's 3G blows Verizon away. Who cares if Verizon has a larger 3G footprint when I have the same coverage with Edge?

      Verizon could not handle the iPhones being dropped on their network right now, but they have time to play catch up in case they do get it.
    1. KartRacer's Avatar
      KartRacer -
      Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
      Edge doesn't support this. What they are "touting" is their 3G network, hence they are able to say that you can surf data while on a call...
      Okay, my screwup. But the whole point of their commercials is that they have the ability to surf and talk at the same time. Which is true IF you have 3G service. They have been completely ignoring this fact in every response ad they've run to Verizons claim, which can and most likely does give people a false impression of their network being able to do that as a whole. Nowhere in either Apples ads or AT&Ts ads do they say this in any way, shape, or form. They leave that tidbit of information out of their commercials completely. This has been the problem with AT&T commercials as of late. They say they have the ability, Verizon says their network doesn't cover anywhere near what they do 3G-wise, and AT&T and Apple have acted like they never brought it up. That is a huge bit of potential false advertising on their part while Verizon hasn't given any incomplete information at all. Hell, AT&T sued them for pointing it out. It pisses me off to see them blatantly ignore this fact and present their service coverage with such a glaring omission. No matter what way AT&T wants to spin their statements it's a flat out diseginuous way to talk to a paying customer. Full stop.
    1. bigdefense77's Avatar
      bigdefense77 -
      All the commercial says is that their network is capable of doing voice and data simultaneously. Is it false advertising because they don't mention it's only under 3G service? I don't think so because Verizon's network isn't capable of doing it at all.

      Let's compare apples to apples. The ads from both providers focus on the 3G portions of their networks.

      And the fact is that the majority of ATT users do in fact have 3G service most of the time, so I think you're splitting hairs here.
    1. jaminmc's Avatar
      jaminmc -
      For all of you with AT&T and have BlackSn0w installed, you WILL get dropped calls because of BlackSn0w!!!!!

      Don't blame those on AT&T. It a bug in BlackSn0w that doesn't handle Voice and Data at the same time correctly, and causes the phone to loose signal for a second or longer, and drops the call!!! (IE mail downloads something from the server, can drop the call)

      I have seen this on many 3G and 3Gs's.

      Uninstall BlackSn0w, and you will notice much less dropped calls!!! (Can still use BlackRa1n, the jailbreak is fine, only the unlock is flawed) If you are using it on AT&T, you won't need it anyway.... Unless the iphone isn't from AT&T.
    1. PhrequenC's Avatar
      PhrequenC -
      Quote Originally Posted by mobilexile View Post
      All providers have their shortcomings.

      Why is a switch to Verizon such a big deal? Simple, their CDMA network is so,ooo,ooo,ooo much aster than AT&T Wingular's duct tape network. They've become HORRIBLE, especially for the price.
      there was just a post recently about how a website did a test on vs verizons 3g and at&t's 3g. the at&t ended being a little bit more faster in all areas.
    1. TwiztidxxNinja's Avatar
      TwiztidxxNinja -
      Quote Originally Posted by TooSlo View Post
      I absolutely love the people complaining about the ETF. How about actually fulfilling a contract that you signed instead of looking for a quick way out?

      It's like society has no sense of completing an obligation to pay for a service.
      I know the subject of ETF died, but I hate it when your uninformed. EVERYONE should complain about the contracts. Only 2 countries use contracts, everyone else you buy the phone then goto whichever carrier you want. BTW the other country in North Korea...
    1. confucious's Avatar
      confucious -
      Only two countries use contracts?
      I didn't know that the UK was now part of the USA - or are we part of North Korea?
      Most other countries in Europe also have contracts and subsidised phones. In the UK you have a choice but the vast majority of phones are sold on contract.
    1. Cer0's Avatar
      Cer0 -
      I hate it when the "uninformed" speak to the "uninformed" but think they are informed.





      (I am kidding)
    1. bengo's Avatar
      bengo -
      Quote Originally Posted by bigdefense77 View Post
      Let's compare apples to apples. The ads from both providers focus on the 3G portions of their networks.

      And the fact is that the majority of ATT users do in fact have 3G service most of the time, so I think you're splitting hairs here.
      Wrong...

      The fact is Verizon attacked AT&T's 3G coverage. AT&T had no comeback, beside suing Verizon, so they had to make some lame commercial about voice and data at the same time, or 3G data speeds, IF you can get 3G...