• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • Qualcomm in Talks with Apple for 2010 iPhone?


    DigiTimes, the Taiwan-based site that reports on the East Asia mobile phone industry, has another report out today regarding Qualcomm chips in Apple phones. According to their sources, Qualcomm is talking to Apple about its new hybrid mobile chips. However, previous rumors that the phones would be released by summer of next year may not pan out, according to this report.

    Qualcomm's new hybrid chip allows phones to use the networks of CDMA/EVDO carriers - such as Verizon and Sprint in the United States - and UMTS/HSPA+ carriers including AT&T and T-Mobile. In addition, the same chip supports LTE, which is a network technology that major carriers have announced plans to implement starting next year.

    The chips are not expected to make it into the summer 2010 iPhone release, as the field test process will have to continue at least that long if the chips are only entering production now. The DigiTimes report indicates that Qualcomm is, rather, looking for a deal with Apple for "future cooperation".

    Qualcomm - though the largest fabless chip manufacturer in the world - is looking to regain market share since many popular smartphones use its competitors' technology: the iPhone uses Infineon chipsets, the BlackBerry uses Freescale and the Palm Pre is based on Marvell chips. Qualcomm supplies 3G chips to LG, Samsung and HTC.

    The first phones using Qualcomm's hybrid chip are anticipated to go on sale in late 2010.
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Qualcomm in Talks with Apple for 2010 iPhone? started by Paul Daniel Ash View original post
    Comments 28 Comments
    1. Blowfish64's Avatar
      Blowfish64 -
      Quote Originally Posted by hollow0 View Post
      "in talks" moron. The title doesn't mention that it was going to come out in 2010.
      Uhh, yes it does.
    1. staterunner180's Avatar
      staterunner180 -
      The chip will not be released this summer. Hopefull (if this rumor is even true) it will be released the summer of '11. But still, imagine the possibilities of this technology and what it would do for the iPhone. And if this chip was installed, and say Apple only let AT&T and Verizon have the iPhone, you could unlock it to virtually ANY carrier out there. Pretty fancy stuff huh?
    1. politicalslug's Avatar
      politicalslug -
      Quote Originally Posted by steve-z17 View Post
      Do you want to freak out some more?....geez! What happened to politely asking about something. Instead you jump straight to criticizing and slamming his post. He's doing you a service by searching this stuff out and posting on the site, maybe show a little gratitude.

      Anyway! This sounds pretty cool, one phone fits all kind of thing.
      I wasn't freaking out. This site does me a service, but he's just doing his job. Forgive me if I don't kiss his feet for writing a brief article with an inaccurate title. This was posted days ago on Engadget so it's nothing new. If it makes you feel good to needlessly kiss the asses of those who are getting paid to write occasional meager articles, then by all means, do so. I won't. I'll just point out the faults in their work when I feel the need to. Get over yourself. The writer hasn't done much, if anything, for the community. If I give praise, it'll be to those in the community that deserve it: Geohot, dev-team, saurik, etc.

      Quote Originally Posted by hollow0 View Post
      "in talks" moron. The title doesn't mention that it was going to come out in 2010. It only mentions of "talks" quit being such a jacka$$!



      uhhh....yeahh..??? Surely you must have known this!
      The content of the article is accurate. The title is not: "Qualcomm in Talks with Apple for 2010 iPhone?" The title implicitly states the possibility of a 2010 iPhone with this chip, which the article itself explicitly contradicts, hence why the title is inaccurate. Between the title and the body are only a couple hundred words, and yet I'm the moron? This is all confusing you, isn't it?
    1. hollow0's Avatar
      hollow0 -
      Quote Originally Posted by politicalslug View Post
      I wasn't freaking out. This site does me a service, but he's just doing his job. Forgive me if I don't kiss his feet for writing a brief article with an inaccurate title. This was posted days ago on Engadget so it's nothing new. If it makes you feel good to needlessly kiss the asses of those who are getting paid to write occasional meager articles, then by all means, do so. I won't. I'll just point out the faults in their work when I feel the need to. Get over yourself. The writer hasn't done much, if anything, for the community. If I give praise, it'll be to those in the community that deserve it: Geohot, dev-team, saurik, etc.


      The content of the article is accurate. The title is not: "Qualcomm in Talks with Apple for 2010 iPhone?" The title implicitly states the possibility of a 2010 iPhone with this chip, which the article itself explicitly contradicts, hence why the title is inaccurate. Between the title and the body are only a couple hundred words, and yet I'm the moron? This is all confusing you, isn't it?
      I think you're confusing yourself. Again the title states "in talks" it does not state specifically that there is a model coming out in 2010. It's not that hard to figure out. And yes you are still a moron.
    1. rhekt's Avatar
      rhekt -
      "Qualcomm in Talks with Apple for 2010 iPhone?"

      i do believe this is exactly hows its written. [notice the question mark at the end^] which means, maybe? maybe not? more than likely NOT for 2010. but then again maybe.
    1. politicalslug's Avatar
      politicalslug -
      Quote Originally Posted by hollow0 View Post
      I think you're confusing yourself. Again the title states "in talks" it does not state specifically that there is a model coming out in 2010. It's not that hard to figure out. And yes you are still a moron.
      I guess you are that stupid. I said the title IMPLICITLY states its a possibility for 2010. I also said the article EXPLICITLY negates that.

      "Qualcomm in Talks with Apple for 2010 iPhone?"

      That's the title of the article, right? And the article EXPLICITLY states there are no talks for 2010, because the this chip couldn't be ready for sale until at least the end of 2010 - early 2011 at the earliest. Do you understand? There are no talks for 2010, because there is no product to talk about in that time frame. Its not remotely a possibility, which the article explicitly states. Browse on over to dictionary.com and learn the difference between "implicit" and "explicit".

      Where is the confusion?
    1. THEINFAMOUS's Avatar
      THEINFAMOUS -
      Quote Originally Posted by hollow0 View Post



      uhhh....yeahh..??? Surely you must have known this!
      What details do u know about this release
    1. hollow0's Avatar
      hollow0 -
      Quote Originally Posted by politicalslug View Post
      I guess you are that stupid. I said the title IMPLICITLY states its a possibility for 2010. I also said the article EXPLICITLY negates that.

      "Qualcomm in Talks with Apple for 2010 iPhone?"

      That's the title of the article, right? And the article EXPLICITLY states there are no talks for 2010, because the this chip couldn't be ready for sale until at least the end of 2010 - early 2011 at the earliest. Do you understand? There are no talks for 2010, because there is no product to talk about in that time frame. Its not remotely a possibility, which the article explicitly states. Browse on over to dictionary.com and learn the difference between "implicit" and "explicit".

      Where is the confusion?
      Using common sense after reading the title one would assume that their might not be a possibility. The title states it and so does the article within the first or so paragraph. That Is all to be said. You can continue on with your little nerd rage but I'm done with you. I'm going to continue living my life.

      Quote Originally Posted by THEINFAMOUS View Post
      What details do u know about this release
      We don't know any specific details about what the phone will have yet, but from past releases apple has released new versions of it's iPhone every June/July. That is the annual quarter release for that product.