• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • $99 8GB iPhone 3GS for Christmas?


    Is AT&T getting ready to roll out a $99 iPhone 3GS in time for the holidays? "Boy Genius", of Engadget fame, is asserting that two anonymous sources told him they are doing just that, as a "way of combating the DROID madness.

    Verizon's new Droid line of Google Android smartphones have stolen some of the iPhone hype as we move into the busy holiday season. Verizon would like to post big numbers to build momentum for the new brand, and it's not inconceivable that Apple could be trying for a knockout punch. The Droid Eris, HTC's low end Android 1.5 smartphone, lists for $99, and positioning an iPhone 3GS at that price point would make the newest iPhone competitive at all levels.

    Boy Genius wrote:
    Definitely not confirmed, but rather interesting nonetheless. Weve heard now from two sources that AT&T, and we guess Apple, are contemplating launching an 8GB iPhone 3GS at the $99 price point before Christmas. One source said this was AT&Ts way of combating the DROID madness.

    There's more than a few problems with this rumor, however. Apple has up until now announced new iPhones in the summer months, and the rollout of a low-end 3GS model would leave no real reason for the whole iPhone 3G line to even exist.

    It's not impossible that Apple's thinking of something that off-the-wall, but that doesn't mean it's likely.
    This article was originally published in forum thread: $99 8GB iPhone 3GS for Christmas? started by Paul Daniel Ash View original post
    Comments 46 Comments
    1. mrguy's Avatar
      mrguy -
      an iphone 3g 8g refur is already $49
    1. RonHC's Avatar
      RonHC -
      So would a 16GB 3GS be $200?
    1. GrandMstrBud's Avatar
      GrandMstrBud -
      Why not just drop the 16GB 3GS to 150 and the 32GB 3GS to 250? I think that would help compete. I personaly don't think 8GB is enough.
    1. iRockish's Avatar
      iRockish -
      This would be great to add to AT&T.. Android would not be able to compete at all lol unless an 8GB card pre-installed but cmon?

      I'd buy one too, but im happy with the 16gb

      Quote Originally Posted by RonHC View Post
      So would a 16GB 3GS be $200?
      It's always been lol
    1. RonHC's Avatar
      RonHC -
      Quote Originally Posted by iRockish View Post
      This would be great to add to AT&T.. Android would not be able to compete at all lol unless an 8GB card pre-installed but cmon?

      I'd buy one too, but im happy with the 16gb



      It's always been lol
      lol forgot, it says $400 for upgrade w/ new 2 year contract
    1. bestbuymobile's Avatar
      bestbuymobile -
      Personally working at best buy mobile and dealing with all the droidheads today, the droid is nothing special other than the camera. Who cares if you can take out the battery, ive had my iphone for over a year and know people that have had theirs longer and no battery problems. yes you can customize the android without jailbreaking but that ruins the whole fun in having an iphone. the os between apple and android is not even comparable. another thing is the droid is a paperweight, i was suprised with how heavy that thing was and people didnt like the weight and the fact that its not as user friendly as an iphone. just my 2 cents from the droid launch.

      ill stick with my iphone thanks
    1. Dajokeisonu's Avatar
      Dajokeisonu -
      The Droid is whack number 1 its not apple software and lets face it there is nothing that can compare to their software number two the only difference is it allows customizing as where apple restricts non jailbroken phones. Thats why we have devs who crack the software thus we jailbreak our phones so all this so called "droid" madness is a joke in my opinion stick with the iphone and if at some point apple makes it hard to crack sit on the friken firmware you have and let them come up with something.
    1. dq13's Avatar
      dq13 -
      So many ppl talk about iPhone sucks cuz you can't take the battery out... personally, from all the phones I've had that you can change the battery, I have never had to replace it or take it out, the only time I needed to take it out was to replace or change the SIM card, which is so sweet on the iPhone that you don't even have to turn it off, just swap it and the phone will ctch signal in seconds again
    1. vantheman169's Avatar
      vantheman169 -
      Quote Originally Posted by dq13 View Post
      So many ppl talk about iPhone sucks cuz you can't take the battery out... personally, from all the phones I've had that you can change the battery, I have never had to replace it or take it out, the only time I needed to take it out was to replace or change the SIM card, which is so sweet on the iPhone that you don't even have to turn it off, just swap it and the phone will ctch signal in seconds again

      I agree 100% pluss most battery issues can be fixed by calibrating the battery meter. I love my jailbroken iphone!
    1. mikerlx's Avatar
      mikerlx -
      I have gone thru 12 iphones in one year, and I love my 3 iphones that i have left. I want to branch out and give the Droid a try. Im on tmobile and it would be nice to see what this android platform is all about.
    1. thevmax's Avatar
      thevmax -
      Hey "Thatcoralguy", where are all the Android apps? It doesn't do you any good to have a jailbroken/unlocked android without apps. (and I am not even talking about the lame apps that Apple sells. I'm talking about the cydia apps and themes...
    1. ifonemaniac's Avatar
      ifonemaniac -
      After reading that convincing post about android im pretty much ready to say ffffuuuuuckkkkkkkkk the iphone. About it being "classy" wtf who cares about class when u have functionality, ok i wont be able to have a fart app on the android....omg my life is ruined srsly guys MODMYDROID.COM lets do it..

      edit... that domain has been taken LOL
    1. sziklassy's Avatar
      sziklassy -
      This would be great although I would have expected an announcement by now if they wanted it by xmas. Hoping this is more than just a rumor as my girlfriend has been bugging me for an iphone and she really doesn't need the added storage space, she just wants it for the smart phone capabilities.

      Also, I am not sure why everyone thinks android will fail before it really gets started. Honestly people thought the same about the iphone way back when. It is foolish to think that iphone will forever be king.
    1. Rokesomesmeefer's Avatar
      Rokesomesmeefer -
      Quote Originally Posted by thatcoralguy View Post
      ...It's like chasing after the star chearleader in high school who keeps telling you that she wants nothing to do with you but you continue to chase after her on a daily basis...
      So you are saying that we should settle for the fat and ugly cheerleader instead?
    1. 1shuttle1's Avatar
      1shuttle1 -
      Quote Originally Posted by ifonemaniac View Post
      After reading that convincing post about android im pretty much ready to say ffffuuuuuckkkkkkkkk the iphone. About it being "classy" wtf who cares about class when u have functionality, ok i wont be able to have a fart app on the android....omg my life is ruined srsly guys MODMYDROID.COM lets do it..

      edit... that domain has been taken LOL
      I agree 100%. For a site that has the word MOD right in it. I would think that would be the important thing here. Not loyalty to a company. You would think some of the people actually got a kickback from Apple on the iphone or Macs every time one was sold. I own plenty of both Apple and PC products and just enjoy the idea of customizing either. I love the iphone and have 3 of them in my household, but I am willing to see whats out there. Being an early adopter of the iphone, I see just how far it has come in just 3 short years. So don't shoot down a new phone just based on the fact it has no apps. How many apps did the iphone have when it launched. It was just a cool phone with a slick user interface and an awesome internet browser. Now 3 years later 100,000 apps and awesome jailbreak apps. Not to mention the 30 second jailbreak it has now(much props to the people behind the scenes), not the frustrating up to an hour jailbreak when it first got jailbroken. Go back to the early post on this site with the incredibly long instructions you had to follow to jailbreak.

      I guess my point is don't shoot down new technology, embrace the idea of getting in on the ground floor and living through the experience.

      Quote Originally Posted by Rokesomesmeefer View Post
      So you are saying that we should settle for the fat and ugly cheerleader instead?

      This is a geek site. LOL Besides big girls need loving TOO.
    1. iBwizzle's Avatar
      iBwizzle -
      How about AT&T introduce new cheaper plans... You know, like T-Mobile. I seen an AT&T commercial for the PayGo phone that has unlimited call/text for $60 a moth. Why can't the iPhone be like plue the $30 data plan? AT&T is joke!!!
    1. tellytel's Avatar
      tellytel -
      wait has a new iphone been confirmed for 2010?? Can someone link me. Im one of those people who can upgrade begginning of next year, but ill wait til summer if another phone is coming out.
    1. ifonemaniac's Avatar
      ifonemaniac -
      Quote Originally Posted by 1shuttle1 View Post
      I agree 100%. For a site that has the word MOD right in it. I would think that would be the important thing here. Not loyalty to a company. You would think some of the people actually got a kickback from Apple on the iphone or Macs every time one was sold. I own plenty of both Apple and PC products and just enjoy the idea of customizing either. I love the iphone and have 3 of them in my household, but I am willing to see whats out there. Being an early adopter of the iphone, I see just how far it has come in just 3 short years. So don't shoot down a new phone just based on the fact it has no apps. How many apps did the iphone have when it launched. It was just a cool phone with a slick user interface and an awesome internet browser. Now 3 years later 100,000 apps and awesome jailbreak apps. Not to mention the 30 second jailbreak it has now(much props to the people behind the scenes), not the frustrating up to an hour jailbreak when it first got jailbroken. Go back to the early post on this site with the incredibly long instructions you had to follow to jailbreak.

      I guess my point is don't shoot down new technology, embrace the idea of getting in on the ground floor and living through the experience.

      This is a geek site. LOL Besides big girls need loving TOO.


      Wow, it could not be said any better. Best post of November, right there.
    1. Happy Noodle Boy's Avatar
      Happy Noodle Boy -
      Quote Originally Posted by thevmax View Post
      Hey "Thatcoralguy", where are all the Android apps? It doesn't do you any good to have a jailbroken/unlocked android without apps. (and I am not even talking about the lame apps that Apple sells. I'm talking about the cydia apps and themes...
      They don't do need to jailbreak to do most of we need to jailbreak for. Also, with Android you can pretty much compile/build the whole OS from the ground up and suit it for your needs.

      Quote Originally Posted by mikerlx View Post
      I have gone thru 12 iphones in one year, and I love my 3 iphones that i have left. I want to branch out and give the Droid a try. Im on tmobile and it would be nice to see what this android platform is all about.
      The MyTouch3G is going to be getting Android 2.0 soon so you can definitely get your Android fix on T-Mobile.
    1. one1's Avatar
      one1 -
      Quote Originally Posted by thatcoralguy View Post
      People,

      Why are you guys still chasing a company like Apple who are against you modding your phone and are against everything written in this blog? The android can do everything that the iphone can do. Plus it has a higher resolution camera, plus it has a removable battery, plus you can unlock the phone without having to hack it each time a software update comes out, plus you can upgrade from 8 to 16 gigs without having to sell the phone.

      I was on the tmobile site today and it provides instructions on how to jailbreak your andriod,commonly referred to in the android community as rooting, plus tmobile even gives you the unlock code to PERMANENTLY unlock the phone.

      It's like chasing after the star chearleader in high school who keeps telling you that she wants nothing to do with you but you continue to chase after her on a daily basis.

      Just sell your iphones on ebay and move to a platform that embraces individuality, supports your needs (you can tether on the andriod and tmobile supports this), and not have to sit up at 3:00am on blog.iphone.dev and wait for Musclenerd to release his latest version of Pwnage.

      I am currently running 2 andriods on tmobile with unlimited minutes, unlimited text messaging, and unlimited internet for $139.

      Try and get that from AT&T. For this price, it is not even worth the time to stay with my iphone and continually have to keep hacks running to get my alerts to work with google voice so that I have free text messsaging. Not to mention that google voice is integrated into the andriod phone and the andriod widgets are much better then the iphone widgets. So are the themes.
      Hey floyd, you're on an iPHONE ENTHUSIAST SITE. FYI.........