• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • Sling is Out, Jailbreakers can Haz 3G


    We'll drum up a nice full review later today or tomorrow, but thought we'd let you all know who've been waiting - SlingPlayer Mobile is OUT! Click here to bring it up in iTunes, and yes, it is $29.99 as rumored earlier yesterday. And it doesn't work over 3G.

    Of course, I know you're thinking "wait, I don't know if $30 is worth it with no 3G usage available..." well, have no fear. Tricker ThreeG is now available via Cydia, which once installed allows you to use SlingPlayer Mobile over 3G as well as WiFi. No extra work, no tweaking, just install Tricker ThreeG and you're good to go.

    I've tried out SlingPlayer Mobile the last hour or so over both 3G and WiFi, and the quality is pretty good. There have been a few times I've been stuck with an "optimizing" message which sat there about 15-20 seconds while it buffered, but the playback is good, and it connected just fine to the SlingBox I have in my living room. The remote takes a little bit more getting used to, as it isn't the nifty remote Sling has that actually MATCHES your cable provider's remote - its just a standard. Once I used it an hour though it made sense.

    We'll see how it goes as I use it the rest of today... either way, this is pretty frickin awesome.
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Sling is Out, Jailbreakers can Haz 3G started by Kyle Matthews View original post
    Comments 255 Comments
    1. cellmate75's Avatar
      cellmate75 -
      @ Chris
      Yes it is
      :P
      So I can get all my channels that my T.V. has
      like cartoon network
      (Yes I watch cartoons I'm a kid)
      >/
    1. Channan's Avatar
      Channan -
      Any idea why Tricker ThreeG isn't showing up in Cydia?
    1. chakraj's Avatar
      chakraj -
      You buy a slingbox at the store or online, its about $150+ depending wich one you get. Then you can watch it from anywhere in the world with an internet connection. You can only watch one box at a time though.
    1. Channan's Avatar
      Channan -
      Quote Originally Posted by cellmate75 View Post
      @ Chris
      Yes it is
      :P
      So I can get all my channels that my T.V. has
      like cartoon network
      (Yes I watch cartoons I'm a kid)
      >/
      I'm 19 and I watch cartoons. Nothin to be ashamed of.

      But yes. Every channel you get at home, you would get with this app. There's other things you can hook up too, like your dvd player, Apple TV, etc.
    1. StealthBravo's Avatar
      StealthBravo -
      I get all 600 channels from my directv and access to my dvr shows/movies from my iphone
    1. JazJon's Avatar
      JazJon -
      Quote Originally Posted by €hR!$ View Post
      I don't see Tricker Three3...what source is it under?

      Use Sling Player Over 3G Without WiFi With Tricker ThreeG . | iHackintosh
    1. J273's Avatar
      J273 -
      As anyone managed to get the 3g hack to work with the latest 3 beta or isnt this possible at the min?


      Thanks
    1. cellmate75's Avatar
      cellmate75 -
      Quote Originally Posted by €hR!$ View Post
      I'm 19 and I watch cartoons. Nothin to be ashamed of.

      But yes. Every channel you get at home, you would get with this app. There's other things you can hook up too, like your dvd player, Apple TV, etc.
      Wow
      Everyone was a huge help
      I am really thinking of getting one of these
      But is there really a huge difference between the $180 and the $300 one?
    1. Channan's Avatar
      Channan -
      Was that supposed to be a joke? I'm not an idiot. I know how to search.

      Apparently it's not there. Do you want a screeny?

      I asked for the source in case I didn't have it installed on my phone. I do, but again, it's just not there.
    1. JazJon's Avatar
      JazJon -
      Quote Originally Posted by StealthBravo View Post
      I get all 600 channels from my directv and access to my dvr shows/movies from my iphone
      Yes DirecTV HD DVR access via iphone is the best! (loving it)

      They need to fix the 16:9 non full screen squished issue though. I heard it's a firmware problem they will resolve in the near future. Over all I'm happy enough for now though. The streams start so fast and stay solid and or recover quickly as needed.

      Quote Originally Posted by €hR!$ View Post
      Was that supposed to be a joke? I'm not an idiot. I know how to search.

      Apparently it's not there. Do you want a screeny?

      I asked for the source in case I didn't have it installed on my phone. I do, but again, it's just not there.
      Yeah, my entire goal was to make you laugh. Well I'm not sure where Tricker ThreeG went either. I'm getting not found/time out errors when I launch Cydia now. If you look a the screen shots it shows the source is modmyi. Something must be down at the moment.
    1. exNavy's Avatar
      exNavy -

      ihackintosh? That is so weak.
    1. bbrookfield's Avatar
      bbrookfield -
      The Tricker ThreeG as well as VOIPOVER3G relies on a special library called "MOBILE SUBSTRATE" which provides both of this programs (as well as many others Jailbreak Apps) the means by which they can fool applications such as SlingPlayer, Skype etc into believing they are on a WIFI network when they are really on 3G. The current Mobile Substrate only works on the 2.2.x version of the Iphone OS. Those of us on OS 3.0 will have to wait for the author(s) of these programs to update, before we can get SlingPlayer to run over 3G. There is also the potential that SlingMedia may release an update for use on 3G just like ORB did for ORBLIVE (At reduced bandwidth).

      There is one missing feature for the Slingplayer I miss and that is the ability to ZOOM to fill screen when watching a widescreen broadcast. ORB added that feature very early and I am supprised it is missing as it appears to be a native feature for most video apps on the Iphone.
    1. Channan's Avatar
      Channan -
      Quote Originally Posted by JazJon View Post
      Yeah, my entire goal was to make you laugh. Well I'm not sure where Tricker ThreeG went either. I'm getting not found/time out errors when I launch Cydia now. If you look a the screen shots it shows the source is modmyi. Something must be down at the moment.
      Jokes aren't always meant to provoke laughter, and usually not from the person you're making fun of, IF that's what you were doing, which is why I asked.

      But good. My question has been answered. And it's not just me that's having this problem now. So thanks.
    1. tlend's Avatar
      tlend -
      Can slingplayer be shared. As in if someone had the same show interest and i paid half the app price. in other words is it limited to one phone. thank

      Edit: if i had the app and someone let me use there account would that work. That is what i meant.
    1. cellmate75's Avatar
      cellmate75 -
      Quote Originally Posted by tlend View Post
      Can slingplayer be shared. As in if someone had the same show interest and i paid half the app price. in other words is it limited to one phone. thanks
      How did you pay half price?
    1. StealthBravo's Avatar
      StealthBravo -
      You can only have one device going at the same time. You could give him access but when you want to use it and he is using it, you will get a prompt asking if you want to terminate his session.
    1. coloradoxmfan's Avatar
      coloradoxmfan -
      Quote Originally Posted by StealthBravo View Post
      You can only have one device going at the same time. You could give him access but when you want to use it and he is using it, you will get a prompt asking if you want to terminate his session.


      Would somebody mind allowing me to "borrow" their login, so I can see how this works? I feel stupid, but I've never heard of Sling until recently but it sounds awesome! If I can see how well it works, I'm buying one ASAP!
    1. ckat238's Avatar
      ckat238 -
      Has anyone found that when using slingbox mobile, it does not charge when plugged in via USB or wall outlet. So my iphone went dead on me during viewing in both the USB charging method and the wall charging method.

      Let me know if this pertains to anyone else.

      thanks
    1. JazJon's Avatar
      JazJon -
      Quote Originally Posted by coloradoxmfan View Post
      Would somebody mind allowing me to "borrow" their login, so I can see how this works? I feel stupid, but I've never heard of Sling until recently but it sounds awesome! If I can see how well it works, I'm buying one ASAP!
      Which this demo:
      Sling Media - SlingPlayer Mobile for iPhone
      (wait for flash to load, bar will fill up, then demo starts)
    1. RessayFlex's Avatar
      RessayFlex -
      Has anyone tried to get this to work so that you can output the video to a TV?

      i remember there used to be an app that would let you select any iphone app and it would send the audio/video out throught the dock connecter...

      i tried connecting the video cable to my tv but only got Audio, no video...

      You tube still works video/audio out im on 3.0 beta 4...

      but how cool would it be to be at a friends house, or traveling and be able to plug your iphone to a tv and pretty much use it like a slingcatcher!

      i did notice that the sling player recognized that i had the dock connector plugged in, because it shows dock in the bottom, but i only got audio...

      anyone here try this yet?