• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • Google Voice: The Throwdown

    image via TheNextWeb

    Friday saw a war of press releases between Apple and Google over the apparent rejection of the Google Voice app on the App Store. The Googleplex and One Infinite Loop made public more details on their dispute, which cuts right to the heart of public perceptions of both companies, Apple's willingness to allow competition in key areas of iPhone functionality, and the coming battle for dominance in the mobile device marketplace.

    Last month, the FCC began an investigation into reports that Apple had blocked Google Voice from the App Store. It sent letters to Google, Apple and AT&T, requesting details on communications between the companies, whether the app had in fact been blocked, and whether AT&T had played any role in the decision. In response, Apple sent a letter to the FCC, saying in part "Apple has not rejected the Google Voice application, and continues to study it."

    Google also sent a response to the FCC. Surprisingly, though, portions of the letter were kept secret, or "redacted," at the time: in specific, the response to the question "What explanation (if any) was given for Apple's rejection of the Google Voice application?" Yesterday, in a clear shot over Apple's bow, Google asked the FCC to release the redacted section. In it, Google clearly points the finger at Phil Schiller, Apple's Senior Vice President of Worldwide Product Marketing, claiming that Schiller told Google's Senior VP of Engineering & Research, Alan Eustace, that Apple was rejecting the app because it duplicated Apple's iPhone dialing and voicemail functions.

    Apple spokeswoman Natalie Kerris responded by categorically denying that the app had been rejected:
    We do not agree with all of the statements made by Google in their FCC letter. Apple has not rejected the Google Voice application and we continue to discuss it with Google.
    The two companies present diametrically opposed versions of events: the difference between "rejected" and "not rejected" is not a subtle one. If Apple and Google are in negotiations over how to modify Google Voice to make it acceptable to Apple, why is Google presenting it otherwise? If, on the other hand, Apple made it clear that Google Voice would not be allowed on the App Store, why is Apple denying that?

    Other developers have complained about Apple's lack of openness about rejected apps. Riverturn's Kevin Duerr expressed his frustrations over Apple's rejection of his VoiceCentral app in an interview with Computerworld in July. "What's the harm in telling developers why an app has been rejected or pulled from the App Store?" Duerr said. "Other than the volume of apps that are submitted, I don't see the problem with taking action. Why wouldn't you say: 'Here's why.'"

    Obviously, both Apple and Google can't be right, and nobody who wasn't present at the discussion between Schiller and Eustace can know for sure who's telling the truth. There is one indisputable fact on the table, though, as Cult of Mac's Leander Kahney notes: Google Voice is not on the App Store. As long as that's the case, the burden of explanation lies squarely on Apple, Inc.
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Google Voice: The Throwdown started by Paul Daniel Ash View original post
    Comments 32 Comments
    1. aglitch's Avatar
      aglitch -
      i think all iphones should take the red pill... or blue pill... whichever one frees the mind...

      time to pop in the matrix!
    1. blazingangel1986's Avatar
      blazingangel1986 -
      Quote Originally Posted by MrNoSox View Post
      Apple...MicroSoft... the lines of separation continue to blur.
      lol your so right
    1. badass1469's Avatar
      badass1469 -
      google voice is bad ***, i use it quite a bit and apple can go to hell if they dont approve.
    1. slidingmike's Avatar
      slidingmike -
      i say we go out and rent some billboards telling people to jailbreak their iphones and put modmyi.com on the sign. That should piss apple off.
    1. awesomeSlayer's Avatar
      awesomeSlayer -
      Quote Originally Posted by slidingmike View Post
      i say we go out and rent some billboards telling people to jailbreak their iphones and put modmyi.com on the sign. That should piss apple off.
    1. romeo_herman's Avatar
      romeo_herman -
      Quote Originally Posted by IndianCheese View Post
      Haha, that reminds me: remember when Apple representatives said that if you jailbreak, you can't use App Store apps on your phone?
      Yeah, you right Apple, we can't use apps without hackulo. Ha...ha...ha..ha...
    1. adrian1480's Avatar
      adrian1480 -
      Quote Originally Posted by iphonefreakify View Post
      Typical Apple..
      it really is. controlling to the point of fascism.

      I heard they're going to also refuse to accept apps that are made with coding software that makes it easier for developers to port their apps to the Zune. Forcing them instead to code with one of the C variants, which makes it more difficult.

      Not because the easier-to-port version is inferior. Simply because their thirst for control and dominance now tempts them to try and control companies outside of apple too.

      And this is why I'll never buy a real device (like a computer) from them.
    1. leram84's Avatar
      leram84 -
      everyone keeps compairing apple to ms now, but i for one actually LIKE the monopolistic behavior of ms... its the reason i still use their system even tho i know its a bit slower and maybe a bit less efficient... because i FULLY know the ui, it never changes and EVERYTHING runs on it. Plus, i really have no complaints to ms's software... there is no better alternative to the office suite in my mind.
      The problem with apple is that they are trying to impose a monopoly with crap software... Don't get me wrong... i like the fact that apple made that new voice dialing software (for example) and i will use it (even tho i never used third party equivilants) just becuase it is oem. but there is SOOOO much software out there that just plain kicks that crap out of apples oem stuff that i put up with the 30 different ui's on my phone, and go through all the trouble of jb'ing.
    1. f_itunes's Avatar
      f_itunes -
      Quote Originally Posted by MrNoSox View Post
      Apple...MicroSoft... the lines of separation continue to blur.
      Don't really know what you mean by that statement. Microsoft has always maintained a far more open a free development platform. Nor do they restrict what you can and can't do with you devices nearly as much as Apple does and always has. If anything with how amazing Windows 7 is and with how Nazi like Apple is becoming the line between the two companies is getting more and more vivid. Apple is the third reich of the computer industry. They really need to stop there close minded way of thinking about computing, they would gain far more users if they would do so.
    1. mastaryan's Avatar
      mastaryan -
      I have GV through Cy and not received an invite. Anyway to speed up the process?
    1. mdc929's Avatar
      mdc929 -
      Quote Originally Posted by €hR!$ View Post
      I'm so glad I don't care. I've seen a few people say they're switching to another phone over GV. I don't know how I would live without my iPhone.
      agreed
      and cydia solves all