• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • Apple releases list of incompatible and "restricted" software


    As part of the installation process, Snow Leopard takes unprompted ("automagic!") action to cordon off application programs that have been deemed incompatible with the new OS release.

    There are two categories of offending software: Incompatible and Restricted. "Incompatible" apps are moved to an "Incompatible Software" folder, while "Restricted" programs stay where they are but are prevented from launching.

    Apple has details in a Knowledge Base article. I've excerpted the lists below. More problem apps are sure to follow.

    Incompatible
    • Parallels Desktop 2.5 and below
    • AT&Tís Laptop Connect Card (1.0.4, 1.0.5, and 1.10.0)
    • Norton AntiVirus 11.0
    • launch2net 2.13.0 (for some 3G USB dongles)

    Restricted
    • Aperture 2.1.1 and below
    • Keynote 2.0.2 and below
    • Parallels Desktop 3.0
    • EyeTV 3.0.0 to 3.1.0
    • Ratatouille 1.1
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Apple releases list of incompatible and "restricted" software started by Paul Daniel Ash View original post
    Comments 82 Comments
    1. Rocketerz's Avatar
      Rocketerz -
      TomTom and Assignment Planner came up missing after install.
    1. imode's Avatar
      imode -
      Quote Originally Posted by redmagic View Post
      WTF ??????!!!!!!!?????
      Apple you you ....
      Come on people, the reason the apps are restricted is because it doesn't run properly on snow leopard... That's the only reason. These companies have had a year to ensure compatibility with SL and they have apparently failed. Take a look at Windows 7... Microsoft had to release an XP virtualization engine to allow one to run apps not compatible with W7 (there are quite a lot)
    1. Luppin's Avatar
      Luppin -
      Quote Originally Posted by StealthBravo View Post
      ^ lmao

      it just crashes
      Been running every release of windows sans Me since 95 without antivirus software and have yet to experience a BSOD
    1. redmagic's Avatar
      redmagic -
      Quote Originally Posted by imode View Post
      Come on people, the reason the apps are restricted is because it doesn't run properly on snow leopard... That's the only reason. These companies have had a year to ensure compatibility with SL and they have apparently failed. Take a look at Windows 7... Microsoft had to release an XP virtualization engine to allow one to run apps not compatible with W7 (there are quite a lot)
      Well thats mean I have to dig my PC out from the Grave yard for the time being lol......
    1. rwin84's Avatar
      rwin84 -
      This is just apple flexing again... Someone will have this disabled before the week is out.
    1. KartRacer's Avatar
      KartRacer -
      Quote Originally Posted by gumby579 View Post
      you're giving it too much credit still
      And you're continuing BS spread by most people who haven't used Vista very much or ever. It doesn't have any of the common problems it had when released. Most of those were caused by drivers not being written well enough or not at all. Same with Snow Leopard now. Alot of big names haven't released compatible updates for their programs. I don't see anyone insulting Apple like they have Microsoft. Kinda like what you just did. I love my new MacBook Pro, but I cannot stand the majority of the users of Mac because of the pretentious and stupid attitudes.

      Quote Originally Posted by imode View Post
      Take a look at Windows 7... Microsoft had to release an XP virtualization engine to allow one to run apps not compatible with W7 (there are quite a lot)
      Name one single app that is used by more than 1% of the Windows community that depend on those apps and don't have an updated version or a different app written to be current with the newest OS. More crap spread around about Windows just to perpetuate the BS that goes through most Apple users heads. Most Apple idiots laughed and insulted Microsoft for not having a good Vista rollout even though the majority of the problems were NOT their fault, Apple has a similar situation with their programs is blaming the 3rd party vendors. The difference is OS X is written for specific hardware and Apple supplies it, while Vista was written for thousands of configurations and doesn't provide the drivers for that hardware. WTF is wrong with people? On top of that they are killing support for a three year old machines while Windows 7 is zipping along on a 10 year old PC just fine.
    1. StealthBravo's Avatar
      StealthBravo -
      um OS X ftw !
    1. mdc929's Avatar
      mdc929 -
      Quote Originally Posted by StealthBravo View Post
      um OS X ftw !
      i second that motion
      and im depressed i cant play Ratatouille on snow leopard :'(
      i wonder how many users that ACTUALLY affects lol
    1. StealthBravo's Avatar
      StealthBravo -
      Well my SaveHollywood video screensaver doesnt work on sn0w
    1. gumby579's Avatar
      gumby579 -
      Quote Originally Posted by KartRacer View Post
      And you're continuing BS spread by most people who haven't used Vista very much or ever. It doesn't have any of the common problems it had when released. Most of those were caused by drivers not being written well enough or not at all. Same with Snow Leopard now. Alot of big names haven't released compatible updates for their programs. I don't see anyone insulting Apple like they have Microsoft. Kinda like what you just did. I love my new MacBook Pro, but I cannot stand the majority of the users of Mac because of the pretentious and stupid attitudes.



      Name one single app that is used by more than 1% of the Windows community that depend on those apps and don't have an updated version or a different app written to be current with the newest OS. More crap spread around about Windows just to perpetuate the BS that goes through most Apple users heads. Most Apple idiots laughed and insulted Microsoft for not having a good Vista rollout even though the majority of the problems were NOT their fault, Apple has a similar situation with their programs is blaming the 3rd party vendors. The difference is OS X is written for specific hardware and Apple supplies it, while Vista was written for thousands of configurations and doesn't provide the drivers for that hardware. WTF is wrong with people? On top of that they are killing support for a three year old machines while Windows 7 is zipping along on a 10 year old PC just fine.
      Oh no, I like Vista. I think it has it's problems but face it so does OS X and Ubuntu.

      And the way I see it, as long as the user doesn't abuse the OS the OS will take care of the user.
    1. V.A.M.P's Avatar
      V.A.M.P -
      I use pages alot. WTF!?
    1. tsatryan's Avatar
      tsatryan -
      All screensavers have to be updated to 64bit to work on SL
    1. StealthBravo's Avatar
      StealthBravo -
      xslimmer works great on sn0w. I gained another 5 gb. Total of 29gb over leopard
    1. towboattrash34's Avatar
      towboattrash34 -
      Quote Originally Posted by StealthBravo View Post
      ^ lmao

      it just crashes
      never had a crash in 2yrs.... now with older versions i had a few, but most every problem i had with blue screen has been a bad stick of ram....of a hdd going bad or 3rd party software has made it crash... but i'm sure the mac's have their problems also
    1. dale1v's Avatar
      dale1v -
      My Snow's finder crashed twice in 10 minutes...

      *Ahem*
    1. redmagic's Avatar
      redmagic -
      Well I just found out you can run Paralles 4.0 on Snow Leopard

      Information
      As Mac OS X Snow Leopard (10.6) is available, you might need to install Parallels Desktop application on Mac OS X Snow Leopard Host.

      Parallels Desktop 4:

      Parallels Desktop 4.0 is compatible with Snow Leopard and can be installed on Snow Leopard Host, please make sure you are using the latest available build 3844. You might, however, experience some minor issues. We will release fully compatible Parallels Desktop 4 build to be installed on Snow Leopard soon.

      We have following know issues with PD4 build 3844 and Mac OS X Snow Leopard:

      1. Host Snow Leopard.

      - QuickLook plugin crashes when trying to do preview on PVM bundle (crash invisible for user)
      - Updater download but fail to install PD4 updates (workaround – close autoupdater and run installer manually)
      - Mounter/Explorer fail to open PD4 disk images
      - iPhone client fail to connect
      - Taking snapshots very slow on host Snow Leopard
      - Opening a web link from Windows in Mac Safari using Shared Internet Applications feature results in appending garbage to the link
      - Snow Leopard 64bit Host not supported yet

      2. Guest Snow Leopard.

      - Guest Snow Leopard Server fails to install in VM
      - Guest Snow Leopard Server 64 bit fails to install in VM

      so I have to put my PC back to the Grave Yard .....
      can check it out here: http://kb.parallels.com/en/6637
    1. mgebara's Avatar
      mgebara -
      Quote Originally Posted by KartRacer View Post
      Most Apple idiots laughed and insulted Microsoft for not having a good Vista rollout even though the majority of the problems were NOT their fault, Apple has a similar situation with their programs is blaming the 3rd party vendors. The difference is OS X is written for specific hardware and Apple supplies it, while Vista was written for thousands of configurations and doesn't provide the drivers for that hardware. WTF is wrong with people? On top of that they are killing support for a three year old machines while Windows 7 is zipping along on a 10 year old PC just fine.
      Apple idiots eh? So if I buy a computer that has Microsoft's "Vista Ready" sticker on it; it's my fault if I see it crash over and over again because the hardware was not supported by Vista.

      If you wanna blame the hardware, blame the company that supplied them with the sticker, which has their logo on it, which implies they vouched for it!

      Stop making loser excuses!
    1. riku98523's Avatar
      riku98523 -
      Apple is bull **** they have no right to restrict software. Apple acts like you are buying access to the OS and not the OS itself -_-.
    1. KartRacer's Avatar
      KartRacer -
      Quote Originally Posted by mgebara View Post
      Apple idiots eh? So if I buy a computer that has Microsoft's "Vista Ready" sticker on it; it's my fault if I see it crash over and over again because the hardware was not supported by Vista.

      If you wanna blame the hardware, blame the company that supplied them with the sticker, which has their logo on it, which implies they vouched for it!

      Stop making loser excuses!
      No, wrong again. I never said it was the users fault. I said it was the hardware maker for not writing good enough drivers or even writing them at all. Vista supports a whole lot of hardware. If you'd bother to actually look up what it supports it would blow you away. It was the hardware vendors drivers that were not up to snuff. How is it now that hardware that Vista didn't play nice when upon release it runs swimmingly on now? Drivers Most of Vistas faults were not with Microsoft. You expect a company to vouch for literally millions of hardware configurations of hardware without a single hiccup? And people have problems now with Snow Leopard not running programs and it's the vendors fault (which it is I agree) but Vista had the same problems and it's 'HAHAHA! MS sucks!', how's that work? You can make excuses for Apple all you want, each have their faults but most Apple users have bad attitudes, false information, and no experience with what they call crappy.

      Why did my 3 mothereffing thousand dollar 17 inch unibody MacBook Pro have the backlight last a mere three weeks? Never had that problem with ANY PC I've ever bought and I didn't pay nearly as much for them. Or that my iPhone 3GS lasted all of about 6 weeks before it had three 2 1/2 inch long cracks in the back when it's never been dropped and inside a gel case since the day I bought it, nor has it been abused, and it didn't have one single scratch on it? Care to explain the hardware failures that plague Apple upon every new release of a computer? Snow Leopard will not run On computers sold as recently as three years ago, and Window 7 is running like a champ on a PC that my Dad has that almost 11 years old! Doesn't have the fancy stupid desktop stuff, but it runs like a champ. What's your excuse for Apple screwing customers for that? How do you make excuses for someone basically saying, 'oh that computer you paid for about three years ago, yeah we aren't going to support that any more because we'd rather you spend more of your money to buy a new model of our computer. You don't have to though but with us you get absolutely no choices.'?

      I'm not making loser excuses, I'm presenting the facts.
    1. mgebara's Avatar
      mgebara -
      Quote Originally Posted by KartRacer View Post
      No, wrong again. I never said it was the users fault. I said it was the hardware maker for not writing good enough drivers or even writing them at all. Vista supports a whole lot of hardware. If you'd bother to actually look up what it supports it would blow you away.

      No, you are wrong. I really don't care about how much hardware is supported. I only care about the machine I buy. If I buy a machine that says "Vista Ready" or even has Vista pre-loaded...it better bloody hell work! Just so you know, if you sign your name to a document, you are endorsing it. Microsoft's "Vista Ready" sticker was Microsoft's way of endorsing every piece of hardware that displayed it!

      Quote Originally Posted by KartRacer View Post
      It was the hardware vendors drivers that were not up to snuff. How is it now that hardware that Vista didn't play nice when upon release it runs swimmingly on now? Drivers Most of Vistas faults were not with Microsoft. You expect a company to vouch for literally millions of hardware configurations of hardware without a single hiccup?
      Single hiccup? You are severely underplaying the disaster that was Vista's launch. That was in 2006! You're saying that it only took 3 years for Microsoft to get Vista right? Is that a good thing? And I wonder...considering that around 90% of computer users have no clue how to use a computer, how many users do you think are still plagued with problems because they don't know how to update? How many people do you think just went out and bought new hardware because they thought there was no hope for their old hardware?

      Quote Originally Posted by KartRacer View Post
      And people have problems now with Snow Leopard not running programs and it's the vendors fault (which it is I agree) but Vista had the same problems and it's 'HAHAHA! MS sucks!', how's that work? You can make excuses for Apple all you want, each have their faults but most Apple users have bad attitudes, false information, and no experience with what they call crappy.
      They had to build in XP mode into W7 for the amount of software that WON'T run in the new Windows! You're complaining about a handful of programs, some of which are outdated anyways (seriously who the heck runs Parallels 2.X??)

      Quote Originally Posted by KartRacer View Post
      Why did my 3 mothereffing thousand dollar 17 inch unibody MacBook Pro have the backlight last a mere three weeks? Never had that problem with ANY PC I've ever bought and I didn't pay nearly as much for them. Or that my iPhone 3GS lasted all of about 6 weeks before it had three 2 1/2 inch long cracks in the back when it's never been dropped and inside a gel case since the day I bought it, nor has it been abused, and it didn't have one single scratch on it? Care to explain the hardware failures that plague Apple upon every new release of a computer?
      Your MBP was unfortunate, but at least you got AppleCare to fix it. Your phone on the other hand...got abused. Gel cases don't make your phone invincible. It might even give you false-security and lead you to abuse your phone more. You can still sit on your phone, have it bump into something while in your pocket, expose it to temperature extremes...


      Quote Originally Posted by KartRacer View Post
      Snow Leopard will not run On computers sold as recently as three years ago, and Window 7 is running like a champ on a PC that my Dad has that almost 11 years old! Doesn't have the fancy stupid desktop stuff, but it runs like a champ. What's your excuse for Apple screwing customers for that? How do you make excuses for someone basically saying, 'oh that computer you paid for about three years ago, yeah we aren't going to support that any more because we'd rather you spend more of your money to buy a new model of our computer. You don't have to though but with us you get absolutely no choices.'?
      That's simple. There was a change in architecture and the old hardware couldn't be supported. Just like how Microsoft's Xbox 360 games won't run on the original Xbox. At least Apple comes straight out and says the old PPC hardware won't work any more. I guess they could have just blamed the drivers...



      Quote Originally Posted by KartRacer View Post
      I'm not making loser excuses, I'm presenting the facts.
      What facts? You have yet to present a single fact. All I see are more loser excuses.