• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • Adobe Compromise Will Finally Bring Flash Video Streaming to iOS


    Flash has been a thorn in Apple's side ever since the first iPhone shipped almost 4 years ago. While users have grown accustomed to their iOS devices not being able to display Flash content, it's unfortunate that Apple and Adobe have not been able to reach some sort of compromise before now.

    Adobe, however, may have finally come up with a solution to the Flash dilemma once and for all with their latest version of Flash. At the National Association of Broadcasters trade show in Las Vegas, Adobe recently previewed the latest version of Flash that incorporates HTTP live streaming. With this new version of Flash, iOS devices will finally be able to display Flash video without the need to install any additional software on their devices.

    Over the years Apple has been steadfast in their opposition to approving Flash for the iOS. Continually citing concerns over Flash’s poor overall performance and being detrimental to battery life. At one point Apple CEO Steve Jobs even went so far as to post an open letter on the company website defending their position regarding Flash on iOS devices entitled, Thoughts on Flash.

    Adobe's latest vision, however, is designed to help content publishers stream protected video to more types of mobile devices including Apple's iPad 2. This new streaming technology is being built into Adobe's Media Server and will allow a much wider variety of devices access to Flash video content. Their solution is designed to be transparent to the end user and will not require any additional software to be downloaded as well.

    According to Adobe’s company blog, “(HTTP Live Streaming) HLS is an MPEG2 transport stream (container) used by devices such as the Apple iPad 2. By adding support for HLS within the Flash Media Server, Adobe is reducing the publishing complexity for broadcasters who need to reach browsers supporting HLS through HTML5 (such as Safari) or devices where Adobe Flash is not installed.”

    For the average user, the details of this plan to get Flash video to more devices is a bit technical, however, in the not too distant future, Flash required warnings will be a thing of the past. If your device doesn’t have Flash installed on it, no problem, the server will send you the video in a format that your device is capable of displaying. It’s unclear just how long it will take Adobe to implement this across the board, but at least a solution to the Flash problem is finally on its way.

    Source: Adobe
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Adobe Compromise Will Finally Bring Flash Video Streaming to iOS started by Wiley John Wright View original post
    Comments 86 Comments
    1. TheOrioles33's Avatar
      TheOrioles33 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Megaorange View Post
      I hate fanboys. Why does one have to be better than the other. What does better really mean? It means nothing. It's just a way for us to express our opinion on what you have preference for. If I have Windows and use an iDevice should I die. Each have their PRO and CON so get over your selves.
      I agree man. Some of these debates are so heated, you would think people are comparing each others children and whose kid is better or smarter. Nuts!

      I've owned Android, iOs, Windows, and Macs. Been using PC's since the PC came out. Love them all. But at the end of the day I want something that just works with the least amount of headaches. For me, thats my iPhone and my MacBook. Simple as that.
    1. iBwizzle's Avatar
      iBwizzle -
      Quote Originally Posted by blkeagle1 View Post
      Yeah and when you switch to android, you will sure as he'll have the atrocious battery life to prove it.
      Yeah, because when a Android device states it has a 1GHz processor it actaully is unlike the 800MHz iPhone 4! At least the user battery can be replaced in most Android phones!
    1. TheOrioles33's Avatar
      TheOrioles33 -
      Quote Originally Posted by iBwizzle View Post
      Yeah, because when a Android device states it has a 1GHz processor it actaully is unlike the 800MHz iPhone 4! At least the user battery can be replaced in most Android phones!
      I had a 1 ghz HTC phone and I can honestly say the iPhone is more responsive and quicker. Not that the HTC was a slouch but the iPhone/iOS combo is why the iPhone is so fast and efficient. Specs are kind of a moot point.
    1. Megaorange's Avatar
      Megaorange -
      Quote Originally Posted by TheOrioles33 View Post
      I agree man. Some of these debates are so heated, you would think people are comparing each others children and whose kid is better or smarter. Nuts!

      I've owned Android, iOs, Windows, and Macs. Been using PC's since the PC came out. Love them all. But at the end of the day I want something that just works with the least amount of headaches. For me, thats my iPhone and my MacBook. Simple as that.
      Yup
      I personally have a PC because I don't usually have many problems with it. Just because I like pc doesn't mean im going to bash mac.

      The same with Android i used it before but I like iOS better.
    1. earl11's Avatar
      earl11 -
      I just wish Flash could be used for games on my device... It would make my iPod seem even more like a computer than it actually is.
    1. rkswat's Avatar
      rkswat -
      Quote Originally Posted by Moreno53 View Post
      Apple can see fit to implement whatever they want on a device they design and sell. If after hundreds of millions of iOS devices sold without flash you didn't realize that iOS devices that's has nothing to do with Apples stupidity, it has everything to do with yours.
      First off I never said anything about apple's stupidity, second.... what is this: "If after hundreds of millions of iOS devices sold without flash you didn't realize that iOS devices that's has nothing to do....." why are you typing jiberish? I could get personal as you did with me and call you a few names but I won't do that.
      I put up with lack of flash because I like the platform. I have flash on my i through third party apps but I would like it native.

      I also love how all the defenders (some would call you fan boys) jump on those that dare to dessent from mighty steve's vision. Really guys, it's ok. Others can have an issue with apple, ios, iPhone, iPad and even complain about said company/products without you guys getting your panties in a bunch. As far as personal attacks go, I say get a life and stop trying to be an internet tough guy. If you feel the need to be a tough guy and call people stupid, shoot me a pm and Ill give you my address and we can talk about it in person. Heck I'll even toss in a few bucks towards your plane ticket. Balls in your court hero.

      Quote Originally Posted by mik3y08 View Post
      Bahaha lol at the comment about apple being able to decide what can be viewed on HIS ios device. I mean hell who is apple to tell me I can't run OSX on my iphone 4, its just rediculous huh?

      BTW i have not logged on this site in a VERY long time, but the stupidity of your post forced me to do so.
      Quote Originally Posted by TheDirtyDiddler View Post
      It's spelled 'ridiculous'. Now what were you saying about that other guy being stupid?
      Oh snap!!
      The comparison between osx and running flash on iPhone is funny. Not even really in the same ball park. I'm glad you logged in because it really showed the rest of us how silly your argument is. Ok, now go away and don't log in for a long time again so maybe we'll forget.

      Quote Originally Posted by awesomeSlayer View Post
      Good point. PCs can do Blue Screens of Death unlike Macs. Stop with your fanboyism.
      Why are you not saying this to all the apple fb posting in this thread?

      Quote Originally Posted by Megaorange View Post
      Yup
      I personally have a PC because I don't usually have many problems with it. Just because I like pc doesn't mean im going to bash mac.
      agreed.....I use a PC because I can get a far better spec computer for 1/3 the cost. I have never had a virus, blue screen of death, or any issues with any PC I have ever owned. When you break down the parts cost/value of a computer, apple's just don't add up for me. I would never say pc is better than mac or call someone stupid for owning one, it's a personal choice.
    1. AUZambo's Avatar
      AUZambo -
      Quote Originally Posted by iBwizzle View Post
      Yeah, because when a Android device states it has a 1GHz processor it actaully is unlike the 800MHz iPhone 4! At least the user battery can be replaced in most Android phones!
      When was the last time you had to replace a battery on a cell phone? I've had cell phones since the late 90s and not once have I bought a battery replacement. Cell phone technology changes so quickly and it's so inexpensive when compared to other technologies, whenever it's time for a new battery most people simply upgrade the entire phone.

      The whole "you can't replace a battery on an iPhone" argument is junk. EDIT: Or was your statement made in jest? I just noticed you have an iPhone 4 (per the info by your username).

      Also, a general question to the rest of you iPhone/iPad users, how often do you actually hit a brick wall on the internet because that site requires flash? In my 3 years of iPhone usage it's happened fewer than 10 times (and that's an overestimate).
    1. shigh's Avatar
      shigh -
      Quote Originally Posted by mik3y08 View Post
      To many of you complaining are spoiled. Guess what we are on the fourth generation of iphones almost fifth, you knew by now there is no flash. You dont always get it your way, if you dont like it there is options. Welcome to the real world where your not in control, apple is.
      word on that.
    1. Fhsjaagshs's Avatar
      Fhsjaagshs -
      With apple, you might as well live in 195-'s Soviet Russia.
    1. bigboyz's Avatar
      bigboyz -
      I don't see Apple latching onto this idea either...! Why would they? I have many friends that are Droid fans and they always try to throw the old "we can play flash and you can't" haha! I could care less about Flash...99% of the time, I don't want to see advertisements anyway a hahaha :]
    1. ericwall's Avatar
      ericwall -
      Quote Originally Posted by mik3y08 View Post
      To many of you complaining are spoiled. Guess what we are on the fourth generation of iphones almost fifth, you knew by now there is no flash. You dont always get it your way, if you dont like it there is options. Welcome to the real world where your not in control, apple is.
      Yes, you are right about one thing. That is why I jailbreak my devices. Apple can't control me then!
    1. delusion950's Avatar
      delusion950 -
      Finally
    1. Icemanmods's Avatar
      Icemanmods -
      Quote Originally Posted by rickuk View Post
      Silly Apple, I'm so fed up with no flash on my iPhone that my next phone will be an Android. Ditto for iPad, won't be getting one, got myself an Andorid tablet instead which allows me to view the whole web not just the bits that Apple want me to see

      Two lost sales for Apple
      Yet your posting here.
    1. LivesForJihad's Avatar
      LivesForJihad -
      In terms of flash...

      Native > Work around.

      If Apple cannot fix their operating systems so Flash is better supported, given all of the battery draining hooplah we have heard, then Apple sucks at making Operating Systems, mobile and otherwise.

      Flash should be done natively by the phone, not some...work-around conversion. Instead of adding stupid features like..."shake to randomize song"...they should rebuild the iOS from ground up, if need be, to better support flash. If you lose some battery life...so be it. 15% loss of battery life converts to 20% more sales IMO. Apple Fanboys will buy anything with an Apple on it. Even an apple from a tree. Call it the iApple. Sell it for $1900, say it is a dual core and it can fit inside a manila envelope...and INSTANT MONEY!
    1. dgmdgm's Avatar
      dgmdgm -
      There appears to a lot of confusion in this article and the responses to it. Here is my take:
      1. There is no "Compromise". Adobe are providing a way for users of its server-side software to be able to stream video to browsers without the need for a client side Flash plug-in. That is, exactly what Apple said should happen.
      2. No, Apple should not build Flash into iOS (i.e., as part of Mobile Safari). Check Steve Jobs open letter "Thoughts on Flash" for a number of really good reasons why this would be a bad idea.
      3. Yes, Apple should allow third-party browsers with Flash in the App store. They can add consumer warnings if they want ("may not work without a mouse", "will suck your battery dry", ...) but they shouldn't be preventing anyone from writing or using such software...
      4. ... if they are dumb enough :-). I wouldn't use a Flash-enabled web browser on iOS in a fit. Apart from the other reasons, I've never seen a Flash-enabled website that didn't make my browsing experience worse rather than better. I hope that Steve Jobs is correct that this is obsolete technology that will quickly disappear.
    1. lightningedge's Avatar
      lightningedge -
      do you really need flash, it is bulky and slow, sites who use flash in my opinion were made to: 1)piss people off who dont want to install the adobe flash plugins just to go to one site 2)dont realize that most everything that flash does, html5 can do just as well if not faster 3)hmm lost train of thought
      Well to me flash is something I only have to use once every couple of months and I want to keep it that way
      If you want your flash so bad DONT GET A iPHONE OR ANY OTHER iDEVICES, go and get a flash enabled android phone. trust me the new android phones are just as nice as the iPhone (coming from a Android hater)
    1. CaptainChaos's Avatar
      CaptainChaos -
      I totally see Apple's concern over the system demand of Flash versus battery life...on a phone. This point is moot though on tablets. Battery life is still superb on my android tablet with Flash installed. Flash can also be set to a profile that dictates when it is used. I wouldn't want it on my i4 though since overall battery performance sucks anyways. Well on all smartphones actually. I just don't see the Flash hype. I don't even really use it.
    1. Antman217's Avatar
      Antman217 -
      I don't need flash anymore. Most porn sites have converted to html5 . But seriously only websites I needed flash for now have dedicated apps that allows all the websites videos to be streamed to the iPhone so I don't need it.
    1. CaptainChaos's Avatar
      CaptainChaos -
      Quote Originally Posted by AUZambo View Post
      When was the last time you had to replace a battery on a cell phone? I've had cell phones since the late 90s and not once have I bought a battery replacement. Cell phone technology changes so quickly and it's so inexpensive when compared to other technologies, whenever it's time for a new battery most people simply upgrade the entire phone.

      The whole "you can't replace a battery on an iPhone" argument is junk. EDIT: Or was your statement made in jest? I just noticed you have an iPhone 4 (per the info by your username).

      Also, a general question to the rest of you iPhone/iPad users, how often do you actually hit a brick wall on the internet because that site requires flash? In my 3 years of iPhone usage it's happened fewer than 10 times (and that's an overestimate).
      Uh the removable battery lets you take a drained battery out and drop a fully charged battery in it. No waiting for it to charge from the wall. I wish, but already know that Apple will not implement this and it sucks.
    1. AUZambo's Avatar
      AUZambo -
      Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChaos View Post
      Uh the removable battery lets you take a drained battery out and drop a fully charged battery in it. No waiting for it to charge from the wall. I wish, but already know that Apple will not implement this and it sucks.
      Thanks for clearing that up. I was unaware what a removable battery was. </sarcasm> I never said I didn't know what the benefits of a replaceable battery were...I simply said that in my 10+ years of using one (a cell phone) I've never needed a new battery.

      To each his own...but you are the only person I know who keeps two batteries for his phone. Everyone else I've known simply charges their phone overnight.

      Do you always have your back-up battery with you? If not, what do you do when you're away from home and your battery dies? I imagine you charge it in your car like everyone else.