• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • iPhoneOS 4.0 Finally To Be Revealed Thursday


    At long last, the elusive, highly-rumored-about iPhone OS 4.0 is to be unveiled this Thursday at 10 AM PST (1 PM EST). Apple has sent out invitations to various media sources about the keynote, so you can expect many Apple liveblogs, like Gizmodo, Engadget, and MacRumors to cover the event as it unfolds.

    If you've been around the iPhone scene since last year, you'll remember that Apple surprised quite a few of us with some features we began to think may never hit the iPhone, like copy/paste, MMS, and stereo Bluetooth. Could multitasking be that big ball-drop this year? We'll just have to find out!
    This article was originally published in forum thread: iPhoneOS 4.0 Finally To Be Revealed Thursday started by n00neimp0rtant View original post
    Comments 194 Comments
    1. Zehlek's Avatar
      Zehlek -
      Quote Originally Posted by StealthBravo View Post
      iPad and new bootroms will only get support after new exploit becomes public.
      Good thing I have the old 3GS bootrom, bought it the day it came out at 9 AM
    1. StealthBravo's Avatar
      StealthBravo -
      haha me too. That is why I didnt wait on the iPad and why I wont wait on the iPhone 4
    1. santaf's Avatar
      santaf -
      yep yep i got my 3GS almsot right away because my 2 years with the 2G ended like right then. and bought my ipad yesterday can't wait for jailbreak hah. i love the battery life on this thing :P
    1. StealthBravo's Avatar
      StealthBravo -
      I have watched netflix for 2.5 hours now and the battery has only dropped 5%
    1. Zehlek's Avatar
      Zehlek -
      I switched from Fido to Rogers and because they are owned by the same company and I was 1 year in my contract. So I had to call them a month later and instead of getting an ECF I got a cheque for $70 lol
    1. santaf's Avatar
      santaf -
      heck yes i've like left mine on with music watched transformers 2 and surfs up and ninja turtles and played nova HD and a bunch of other games surfed modmyi did my physics homework and it's still not close to being dead
    1. tudtran's Avatar
      tudtran -
      Can't wait. I hope for a major OS release.
    1. rickybobby's Avatar
      rickybobby -
      Quote Originally Posted by StealthBravo View Post
      I have watched netflix for 2.5 hours now and the battery has only dropped 5%
      Really so the battery is that good
    1. santaf's Avatar
      santaf -
      yes it is read what i did on mine i've been using it like non stop almsot for the past two days and i am just now having to charge it up
    1. Cer0's Avatar
      Cer0 -
      The battery is insane on this thing.
    1. Garage Battle's Avatar
      Garage Battle -
      Here are my guesses:

      1. Multitasking through smaller applets. Apple knows they cant get away with it any longer.

      2. Front facing camera. For what other reason were iPad wifi & iPad 3g separated at release?

      3. Gaming. At the iPad release most major developers do not have their A game products at launch. They are working on OS 4.0, and it must be doing something rather drastic.

      4. Utilizing front facing camera for multiple activities....Facebook chat, gaming, HTML5 web chat ability.

      5. iChat will arrive for text, audio, and maybe picture sharing.

      6. Updated OS appearance.
    1. steve-z17's Avatar
      steve-z17 -
      Quote Originally Posted by cerote View Post
      The battery is insane on this thing.
      Agreed! Haven't turned mine off since Saturday and I'm still above 50% on battery, amazing! I think 4.0 will bring some surprises for the iPhone and iPad!
    1. camperchuck's Avatar
      camperchuck -
      u know im on your side right?

      Quote Originally Posted by n00neimp0rtant View Post
      Like I said, let me know when iTunes asks you to update your phone to 3.2, mmm-kay?
    1. hacker555's Avatar
      hacker555 -
      Honestly I've read like 6 pages of this and I'd say that 80-90% of you are absolute morons.Sorry.Let me break it down to you really simply

      1) This release is LATER than the prior 3.0 Announcement. This is not indicative of no new phone or less features, its simply that the announcement was DELAYED (because of iPad)

      2) There is no G-Damn Iphone 3.2 OS, and WILL NOT, Jobs has said this is a iPad Only release. If we see an update before 4.0 it will be something small like 3.1.4

      3) Flash is NEVER coming to the iPhone. Anyone who thinks it is has almost no understanding of apple politics and the implications behind the use of such. Flash is a slow buggy and battery draining piece of S#!t. It violates Apples regulations, and the use of it, would destroy the monopoly apple has with the app store. Think about it, why buy bowman 2 when you can log onto a website a play it for free...

      4) Multitasking is not going to happen, at least not in the way you people thing. For one reason its not really possible, what will happen is will get a app switching feature with multitasking available for a limited number of total apps, maybe 1 or 2 ( aka pandora or apple apps). This will help with battery life and will give the illusion of multitasking through the use of saved states.

      5)UI updates: this is almost a MUST for appple. they have been using the same UI for 3 phones now, and finally others are becoming competitive such as the Evo 4G and the Nexus one, The only way for apple to continue its reign is to implement some major UI enhancements and changes.

      6)Jailbreaks.. Are NOT coming before the new phone is released. THEY ARE NOT COMING, Please stop asking. The reason is that there is a limited number of exploits to be found, and apple is working harder and harder with each release to close up bugs and holes. If a jailbreak was wasted(yes I mean wasted) before the iPhone HD(or 4th generation) apple would simply patch the hole and wed be high and dry. It is for this reason that the dev team, geohot, spirit, and chronic dev are waiting, they have worked hard and they do not want to see it be for nothing. So please stop asking.

      Lastly

      7) EXPECT that iphone 2G and likely 3G as well will not be able to run all new features. This is only logical. It happened with OS 3.0 and it is a common apple tactic to push people to upgrade. Also if there is no new phone announcement, fear not, this is likely apple trying to get rid of the remaining stock of devices before the launch;Specifically 3G devices.
    1. TRiPLEX's Avatar
      TRiPLEX -
      ^^ At last, someone with some sense has spoken out. Thank you, you have given me reason to not give up on this decaying society of morons who lack the ability to digest information staring right into their face!

      We have to be realistic when concluding what OS 4.0 will bring. If we look back to the 3.0 upgrade, changes such as MMS, copy n' paste, and minor other tweaks to existing features (such as YouTube) were brought since the iPhone's specs could handle such enhancements. Let's face it, there were no overwhelming changes released in the upgrade. So think twice before making ludicrous suggestions such as multitasking, it WON'T HAPPEN, due to battery and RAM restraints. At best, these far-fetched posibilities lie with the next-gen iPhone which may feature an OS upgrade specifically tailored for itself.

      The upcoming upgrade will surely marginalise 3G users and push them into buying the 3GS (or possibly the iPhone HD). We saw that with the 3.0 release and it would be foolish for Apple to continue supporting an older model for which sales are declining.
    1. extremzocker's Avatar
      extremzocker -
      i am shure they will add a new youtube in 4.0. because of the new layout... no more stars and all that
    1. z3r01's Avatar
      z3r01 -
      Quote Originally Posted by hacker555 View Post
      Honestly I've read like 6 pages of this and I'd say that 80-90% of you are absolute morons.Sorry.Let me break it down to you really simply

      1) This release is LATER than the prior 3.0 Announcement. This is not indicative of no new phone or less features, its simply that the announcement was DELAYED (because of iPad)

      2) There is no G-Damn Iphone 3.2 OS, and WILL NOT, Jobs has said this is a iPad Only release. If we see an update before 4.0 it will be something small like 3.1.4

      3) Flash is NEVER coming to the iPhone. Anyone who thinks it is has almost no understanding of apple politics and the implications behind the use of such. Flash is a slow buggy and battery draining piece of S#!t. It violates Apples regulations, and the use of it, would destroy the monopoly apple has with the app store. Think about it, why buy bowman 2 when you can log onto a website a play it for free...

      4) Multitasking is not going to happen, at least not in the way you people thing. For one reason its not really possible, what will happen is will get a app switching feature with multitasking available for a limited number of total apps, maybe 1 or 2 ( aka pandora or apple apps). This will help with battery life and will give the illusion of multitasking through the use of saved states.

      5)UI updates: this is almost a MUST for appple. they have been using the same UI for 3 phones now, and finally others are becoming competitive such as the Evo 4G and the Nexus one, The only way for apple to continue its reign is to implement some major UI enhancements and changes.

      6)Jailbreaks.. Are NOT coming before the new phone is released. THEY ARE NOT COMING, Please stop asking. The reason is that there is a limited number of exploits to be found, and apple is working harder and harder with each release to close up bugs and holes. If a jailbreak was wasted(yes I mean wasted) before the iPhone HD(or 4th generation) apple would simply patch the hole and wed be high and dry. It is for this reason that the dev team, geohot, spirit, and chronic dev are waiting, they have worked hard and they do not want to see it be for nothing. So please stop asking.

      Lastly

      7) EXPECT that iphone 2G and likely 3G as well will not be able to run all new features. This is only logical. It happened with OS 3.0 and it is a common apple tactic to push people to upgrade. Also if there is no new phone announcement, fear not, this is likely apple trying to get rid of the remaining stock of devices before the launch;Specifically 3G devices.
      That my friend was put together well...
    1. matthew1111's Avatar
      matthew1111 -
      Oh yeah everyone hop on the 4.0 Jailbreak Train!

      P.S.: Hacker555 nice job! :P
    1. hollow0's Avatar
      hollow0 -
      Quote Originally Posted by hacker555 View Post
      Honestly I've read like 6 pages of this and I'd say that 80-90% of you are absolute morons.Sorry.Let me break it down to you really simply

      1) This release is LATER than the prior 3.0 Announcement. This is not indicative of no new phone or less features, its simply that the announcement was DELAYED (because of iPad)

      2) There is no G-Damn Iphone 3.2 OS, and WILL NOT, Jobs has said this is a iPad Only release. If we see an update before 4.0 it will be something small like 3.1.4

      3) Flash is NEVER coming to the iPhone. Anyone who thinks it is has almost no understanding of apple politics and the implications behind the use of such. Flash is a slow buggy and battery draining piece of S#!t. It violates Apples regulations, and the use of it, would destroy the monopoly apple has with the app store. Think about it, why buy bowman 2 when you can log onto a website a play it for free...

      4) Multitasking is not going to happen, at least not in the way you people thing. For one reason its not really possible, what will happen is will get a app switching feature with multitasking available for a limited number of total apps, maybe 1 or 2 ( aka pandora or apple apps). This will help with battery life and will give the illusion of multitasking through the use of saved states.

      5)UI updates: this is almost a MUST for appple. they have been using the same UI for 3 phones now, and finally others are becoming competitive such as the Evo 4G and the Nexus one, The only way for apple to continue its reign is to implement some major UI enhancements and changes.

      6)Jailbreaks.. Are NOT coming before the new phone is released. THEY ARE NOT COMING, Please stop asking. The reason is that there is a limited number of exploits to be found, and apple is working harder and harder with each release to close up bugs and holes. If a jailbreak was wasted(yes I mean wasted) before the iPhone HD(or 4th generation) apple would simply patch the hole and wed be high and dry. It is for this reason that the dev team, geohot, spirit, and chronic dev are waiting, they have worked hard and they do not want to see it be for nothing. So please stop asking.

      Lastly

      7) EXPECT that iphone 2G and likely 3G as well will not be able to run all new features. This is only logical. It happened with OS 3.0 and it is a common apple tactic to push people to upgrade. Also if there is no new phone announcement, fear not, this is likely apple trying to get rid of the remaining stock of devices before the launch;Specifically 3G devices.
      Well, i'd say i can agree with prob 95% of what you say. My only concern or curiosity is multitasking. 1 - 2 apps seems way too small. From what i read about the feature it looks like it would allow more. But, this is Apple so who knows how they will actually implement.
    1. StealthBravo's Avatar
      StealthBravo -
      Quote Originally Posted by hacker555 View Post
      6)Jailbreaks.. Are NOT coming before the new phone is released. THEY ARE NOT COMING, Please stop asking. The reason is that there is a limited number of exploits to be found, and apple is working harder and harder with each release to close up bugs and holes. If a jailbreak was wasted(yes I mean wasted) before the iPhone HD(or 4th generation) apple would simply patch the hole and wed be high and dry. It is for this reason that the dev team, geohot, spirit, and chronic dev are waiting, they have worked hard and they do not want to see it be for nothing. So please stop asking.
      I agree with everything you said except with the jailbreaks. On this point, you are wrong. There will be a jailbreak released with the iPad 3G (comex's spirit). Spirit will jailbreak all devices untethered. Then when the new iPhone is released, geohot, dev team, and chronic dev will release their tools.

      Also the 4.0 betas will be jailbroken (not by any of the above teams), but the jailbreaks will only utilize previously released exploits.