• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • Cydia Gets an Essential Update - Speed Increases and Error Handling


    It appears last night that Saurik has updated APT, which now has an optimized cache generator and has become more error tolerant in repository parsing. This means less error screens when connecting to repositories that might have an error at that particular moment, which used to end up causing Cydia users a ton of grief, sometimes even crashing them out of Cydia. This update should help correct some of that.

    While its nothing extremely heavy hitting with this update, it is highly recommended you update to gain some additional performance from Cydia. "Reloading" screens seem to move along much faster, and I have yet to see any repository errors. Saurik says this is a 7x speed increase! Not sure the specifics, but as far as I'm told, the update provides a speed increase of 7x.

    Head on over to Cydia and download the new APT updates. It should just put up, like the image above.
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Cydia Gets an Essential Update - Speed Increases and Error Handling started by nickhesson View original post
    Comments 57 Comments
    1. CMOSlabs's Avatar
      CMOSlabs -
      3 times faster on my 3gs
    1. matthew1111's Avatar
      matthew1111 -
      Cydia is back in the lead, leaving Rock in the dust!
    1. Late421's Avatar
      Late421 -
      Im getting tons of repository errors now after the new cydia update....anyone else?
    1. pyromcr's Avatar
      pyromcr -
      as long as it gets faster, i am fine with it...
    1. T40mas's Avatar
      T40mas -
      mmmmmm Cydia still has a lot of work to do before it catches up to Rock, yes this is good but Rock loads all that stuff in the background so u can still browse donwload and buy apps
    1. SnowLeo's Avatar
      SnowLeo -
      Made it faster.... but ever since the update the box always says "return to cydia" even when it has to resping/reboot so then I hit go back to cydia and then it starts respringing... but then it takes a full minute doesnt do anything and then does the respring spinny thing again and finally after another agonizing 30 seconds it finally comes back to life.
    1. osugsxr's Avatar
      osugsxr -
      no problem installing, so far no errors or problems like a few people are reporting
    1. confucious's Avatar
      confucious -
      Quote Originally Posted by matthew1111 View Post
      Cydia is back in the lead, leaving Rock in the dust!
      I didn't know Rock was ever in the race - it's not something I'd let near my phone.
    1. mofolo's Avatar
      mofolo -
      Awesome! Thanks Jay! You the man.
    1. jdyates's Avatar
      jdyates -
      Im un-installing Rock. Nuff' said . Damn glad that Jay upgraded, now its so damn fast on my iPT 2G and ESPECIALLY fast on my iPT 3G .
    1. Jahooba's Avatar
      Jahooba -
      Quote Originally Posted by confucious View Post
      I didn't know Rock was ever in the race - it's not something I'd let near my phone.
      Haha, I have to agree. For the few weeks I was using Rock it was the most unstable program I've ever put on my iPod, and completely didn't live up to it's name.

      Cydia does indeed need some kind of overhaul/ GUI upgrade, but it's pretty reliable as long as you don't go hitting a bunch of buttons before it fully loads

      I'm liking the fast reload times now. For me it loads like 4x faster.
    1. brian5s's Avatar
      brian5s -
      I keep seeing constant Caching Errors; POSIX connection errors and Repo errors, ie; redwolfberry.com./ Release: Unable to read /etc/apt/trusted.gpg.d/ -opendir (2: No such file or directory)

      Failed to fetch
      http://cydia.miphone.ca/repo/./Release.gpg Host Unreachable

      etc....

      Any ideas how to fix this stuff??? That would make Cydia well worth it!
    1. Channan's Avatar
      Channan -
      Sorry. Rock still faster and nicer IMO. Only use Cydia for Cydia store products. But the update is nice, except...

      I don't know if it was the Cydia update that did this, but I noticed after updating that I lost settings for several apps in Settings.app like Activator, ProSwitcher, LockInfo, iPodPop, etc. Did this happen to anyone else? I don't know how to get it back.

      Can't edit on iPhone version of MMi so sorry for the double post.



      Used to have extra settings between Action Menu and Beejive.

      Never mind. Forgot MMi merged double posts.
    1. Jahooba's Avatar
      Jahooba -
      Quote Originally Posted by brian5s View Post
      I keep seeing constant Caching Errors; POSIX connection errors and Repo errors, ie; redwolfberry.com./ Release: Unable to read /etc/apt/trusted.gpg.d/ -opendir (2: No such file or directory)

      Failed to fetch
      http://cydia.miphone.ca/repo/./Release.gpg Host Unreachable

      etc....

      Any ideas how to fix this stuff??? That would make Cydia well worth it!

      It may be a problem with the repo itself - perhaps it was defunct? I got an error on one of the non-default repos that I put on there but I simply went into iFile and edited my sources.list.d folder (in /etc/apt) and deleted the entry. (Hint: if you're going to jailbreak do yourself a favor and just get iFile!).


      Quote Originally Posted by €hR!$ View Post
      Sorry. Rock still faster and nicer IMO. Only use Cydia for Cydia store products. But the update is nice, except...

      I don't know if it was the Cydia update that did this, but I noticed after updating that I lost settings for several apps in Settings.app like Activator, ProSwitcher, LockInfo, iPodPop, etc. Did this happen to anyone else? I don't know how to get it back.

      I would try uninstalling/ reinstalling.
    1. hfinmyblood's Avatar
      hfinmyblood -
      is anyone else have a problem with their SMS crashing? Ever since i installed this I can't open my SMS.
    1. Jahooba's Avatar
      Jahooba -
      Quote Originally Posted by hfinmyblood View Post
      is anyone else have a problem with their SMS crashing? Ever since i installed this I can't open my SMS.
      Did you try rebooting?
    1. hfinmyblood's Avatar
      hfinmyblood -
      Quote Originally Posted by Jahooba View Post
      Did you try rebooting?
      yeah, all my other apps work except for that one.
    1. Jahooba's Avatar
      Jahooba -
      Quote Originally Posted by hfinmyblood View Post
      yeah, all my other apps work except for that one.
      Do you have any SMS mods installed? Do you have any programs installed that alters the functionality of SMS in any way? If you do, try uninstalling them then reinstalling them.
    1. hfinmyblood's Avatar
      hfinmyblood -
      i'll give this a try... thanks
    1. number johnny 5's Avatar
      number johnny 5 -
      Soooooooooo now theres more errors than ever before? Just downloaded and rebooted and now I get error this and error that. And takes twice as long to load. What gives???