• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • AT&T to Acquire T-Mobile and Become the Largest US Wireless Provider


    In a surprise announcement that has rocked the mobile world Sunday, AT&T has announced what's being called a definitive agreement to acquire T-Mobile USA Deutsche Telekom for $39 billion in cash and stock combo. With this transaction, the wireless giant says in a formal statement heralding the buy, "AT&T commits to a significant expansion of robust 4G LTE deployment to 95 percent of the U.S. population to reach an additional 46.5 million Americans beyond current plans – including rural communities and small towns."

    If the deal is ultimately given the green light via regulatory approval, AT&T will effectively become the largest wireless provider in the US. The move comes as a major blow to Verizon as the carriers (both of which now boast the iPhone) duke it out to an entirely new degree for mobile supremacy. By bringing T-Mobile customers into the fold at AT&T, the carrier is poised to potentially regain some of the mobile mojo it lost to Verizon earlier this year.

    “This transaction represents a major commitment to strengthen and expand critical infrastructure for our nation’s future,” said Randall Stephenson, AT&T Chairman and CEO. “It will improve network quality, and it will bring advanced LTE capabilities to more than 294 million people. Mobile broadband networks drive economic opportunity everywhere, and they enable the expanding high-tech ecosystem that includes device makers, cloud and content providers, app developers, customers, and more. During the past few years, America’s high-tech industry has delivered innovation at unprecedented speed, and this combination will accelerate its continued growth.”

    To read the official announcement from AT&T, click here.

    Source: AT&T
    This article was originally published in forum thread: AT&T to Acquire T-Mobile and Become the Largest US Wireless Provider started by Michael Essany View original post
    Comments 306 Comments
    1. squassss's Avatar
      squassss -
      Quote Originally Posted by gQstatus05 View Post
      I would like to you name a dozen since you know so much about the topic.

      If this merger happens it would make them the only GSM carrier in the USA. This move was made to set the standard for LTE pricing when it becomes widely available. If this goes through I guarantee you that VZW will most likely buyout Sprint. All it's going to take is a couple of political contributions and lining of pockets to get this to go through.

      If it does go through they'll probably force AT&T to give some subscribers to another carrier along with some towers like they made Verizon do with Alltel.
      Lets see..

      1. Verizon
      2. ATT
      3. Sprint
      4. US Cellular
      5. Boost Mobile
      6. Cellular One
      7. Metro PCS
      8. TracFone
      9. Virgin Mobile
      10. 7-Eleven Wireless
      11. Alltel
      12. Cricket Communications

      Would you like more? Because there are over 150 I can list. Most the people whine about them being the only "GSM" carrier don't even realize what GSM is. This merger does not make them the only GSM carrier in the US.
    1. Gr0undBreak1ng's Avatar
      Gr0undBreak1ng -
      Exactly, AT&T is going to be only GSM soon. Verizon has LTE though.
    1. squassss's Avatar
      squassss -
      Quote Originally Posted by Gr0undBreak1ng View Post
      Exactly, AT&T is going to be only GSM soon. Verizon has LTE though.
      Sigh.... they will not be the only GSM carrier. Please research before you post.
    1. gQstatus05's Avatar
      gQstatus05 -
      Those other carriers are irrelevant and most of them are prepaid not postpaid. Besides most of those carriers you listed are only available in certain markets. I'm talking about major players not the small guys.

      That's like saying Home Depot will buy Lowes but it doesn't matter because there are places like Ace Hardware still around.

      If it were that easy why would AT&T agree to pay T-Mobile 3Bil as a break up fee?
    1. squassss's Avatar
      squassss -
      Quote Originally Posted by gQstatus05 View Post
      Those other carriers are irrelevant and most of them are prepaid not postpaid. Besides most of those carriers you listed are only available in certain markets. I'm talking about major players not the small guys.

      That's like saying Home Depot will buy Lowes but it doesn't matter because there are places like Ace Hardware still around.

      If it were that easy why would AT&T agree to pay T-Mobile 3Bil as a break up fee?
      So now the little companies don't count. Last time I checked according to the FCC they did.
    1. Gr0undBreak1ng's Avatar
      Gr0undBreak1ng -
      Quote Originally Posted by squassss View Post
      Sigh.... they will not be the only GSM carrier. Please research before you post.
      I meant in the US, lol. Isn't that what country were talking about.
    1. squassss's Avatar
      squassss -
      Quote Originally Posted by Gr0undBreak1ng View Post
      I meant in the US, lol. Isn't that what country were talking about.
      So was I.. there are several GSM carriers in the US besides Tmobile and AT&T. However according to you they don't exist because they are the little guys.
    1. gQstatus05's Avatar
      gQstatus05 -
      Quote Originally Posted by squassss View Post
      So now the little companies don't count. Last time I checked according to the FCC they did.
      Ok let me clear this up and make it easy to understand. This is going to hurt the consumers and device manufacturers. AT&T will be the only GSM (big player) in the USA. Manufacturers won't be able to control price and profits and will be at the mercy of AT&T if they want to get their product out (We are talking about the USA and not around the world).

      Alcatel Lucent, Nokia Siemens, Ericsson, etc will suffer being that they will have one major customer to supply infrastructure to. Again, they will be at the carriers mercy.

      Google has a lot to lose in this being that they push their products to T-Mobile first before other carriers. We all know that AT&T will cripple the software and play hard ball.

      I can go on and on with what I think.

      By the way I see a Google/Sprint partnership in the near future.
    1. Gr0undBreak1ng's Avatar
      Gr0undBreak1ng -
      Yeah. They already have with the mytouch i thought or was that the giant google/verizon partership

      Quote Originally Posted by squassss View Post
      So was I.. there are several GSM carriers in the US besides Tmobile and AT&T. However according to you they don't exist because they are the little guys.
      What? Nevermind
    1. squassss's Avatar
      squassss -
      Quote Originally Posted by gQstatus05 View Post
      Ok let me clear this up and make it easy to understand. This is going to hurt the consumers and device manufacturers. AT&T will be the only GSM (big player) in the USA. Manufacturers won't be able to control price and profits and will be at the mercy of AT&T if they want to get their product out (We are talking about the USA and not around the world).

      Alcatel Lucent, Nokia Siemens, Ericsson, etc will suffer being that they will have one major customer to supply infrastructure to. Again, they will be at the carriers mercy.

      Google has a lot to lose in this being that they push their products to T-Mobile first before other carriers. We all know that AT&T will cripple the software and play hard ball.

      I can go on and on with what I think.

      By the way I see a Google/Sprint partnership in the near future.
      You do realize GSM is a proprietary name.. that in the end it doesn't matter what you call it.. GSM, LTE, or "OMGROCKETPHONE". It all boils down to speed and noone gives a crap what the brand name is. To say the companies will be at the mercy of AT&T is moronic. AT&T has been getting better phones than T-mobile for a long time. Long before this merger and long after. Also the most successful Android phones out there belong to Sprint (EVO 4G) and Verizon (Droid). Google has nothing to lose here as they have been spreading their phones pretty well over a wide number of carriers. The days of phone exclusivity are numbered. Sure you'll see a few here and there but you will never see a phenomenon such as the iPhone exclusivity ever again.

      One way or another this was going to come down to a "big 3". Your choices were either AT&T with a more fluid integration of networks or Sprint who is just now wrapping up the Nextel integration and integrating GSM into Sprints current network would have been a mess.
    1. jktrelos's Avatar
      jktrelos -
      If You can not figure out how to make a 4g network to work you might as well buy one for 39 Billion!!
    1. squassss's Avatar
      squassss -
      Quote Originally Posted by jktrelos View Post
      If You can not figure out how to make a 4g network to work you might as well buy one for 39 Billion!!
      Yeah they know nothing about it. That's why before the merger they had a market share that was over double the nearest GSM competitor even before the iphone.
    1. ("\(.:...:.)/")~RaWr's Avatar
      ("\(.:...:.)/")~RaWr -
      Quote Originally Posted by squassss View Post
      Yeah they know nothing about it. That's why before the merger they had a market share that was over double the nearest GSM competitor even before the iphone.

      Honestly squassss, stop being an assss and stop picking fight with people over stupid things while thinking you know everything there is to know about this merger. OBVIOUSLY you are not a T-Mobile customer. If you were, you would understand why 99% of the 34 billion people with it 1) Are with T-Mobile and 2)Don't want it to be merged with its direct GSM rival, att.
      So that means that maybe you are with att, thus you are excited for all the new technology this will allow you to use. Heck I would be too, except that by buying T-mobile they are neglecting their duties to you and other customers of making the network something reliable, fast, and solid that you don't have to directly deal with everyday. Sure, T-Mobile may have its many flaws, but they have lower prices, GREAT CUSTOMER SERVICE, for the most part no unexplained hidden "prorated" charges on your account or stupid unexplained overages added monthly, and actually have 4G. How about att??? Even their advertisement of 4G is a lie to you and their customers.
      But nevermind all of that, I bet you can come up with a half bsed book in reply to that. However, just explain one thing to me: If att really cared about its customers, why did it take away the unlimited data plan as opposed to offering a 200MB (for the really low users amoung us) 2GB(Marginally enough with constant worries about going over each month for the average user) AND an unlimited plan for those of us who actually require more than 2GB a month (You know, apps that require internet, large email accounts, internet radio, youtube, our other personal business) specially when it is the exclusive iPhone carrier and it knows damn well that mobile data is to the iphone what water is to us humans.
      [Try not to include any crap about how you get free att wifi where available because they sure as hell dont have it at my house nor at my work nor on the way. Unless i stop at macdonalds or starbucks for the better part of half an hour. Try not to include anything about how people use too much internet or how everyone that had it before got it grandfathered, because im sure that anyone who is gradfathered would be really pissed if they had to spend even a month limiting their mobile internet to either 200MB or 2GB.]

      For further reading: (Gizmodo)How the new att+mobile is probably going to bone you hardcore.
      Also, if you are thinking about quoting the att data usage calculator, just take out a normal calculator and try converting a daily lets say 1- 2 hour usage of internet radio (usually around 128kbps) for one month and tell me what plan will fit my usage under att.
    1. Kupe's Avatar
      Kupe -
      Quote Originally Posted by squassss View Post
      Lets see..

      ...
      4. US Cellular
      5. Boost Mobile
      6. Cellular One
      7. Metro PCS
      8. TracFone
      9. Virgin Mobile
      10. 7-Eleven Wireless
      11. Alltel
      12. Cricket Communications

      Would you like more? Because there are over 150 I can list. Most the people whine about them being the only "GSM" carrier don't even realize what GSM is. This merger does not make them the only GSM carrier in the US.
      Oh this is too funny! You rip others for "not knowing what GSM is", and then you list a bunch of MVNO and MNO operators as though they are real cell providers. I mean, "7-Eleven"??? Really??

      MVNOs simply buy, re-label, and re-sell airtime and phones. They are not real cell providers. For very little money, you could set up "Squassss Cellular" as an MVNO operator. It's still just the same thing, but re-packaged and re-sold.

      The point is- there really are (or were) only two nationwide GSM providers in the US. Now there will be only one. Particularly for US customers who travel abroad, and for whom CDMA is not practical, this could be bad news.

      Kupe
    1. iliveudie's Avatar
      iliveudie -
      Quote Originally Posted by jktrelos View Post
      If You can not figure out how to make a 4g network to work you might as well buy one for 39 Billion!!
      NO...It is more like...

      AT&T NETWORK REP: Sir, I have designed a complex plan to successfully make LTE 4G compatible with our infrastructure and our phones...it will only take 3 years and a few billion dollars.

      CEO: 3 Years!? Shut the f#ck up. Go buy T-Mobile.
    1. tsatryan's Avatar
      tsatryan -
      ..
    1. Riviera's Avatar
      Riviera -
      Quote Originally Posted by ("\(.:...:.)/")~RaWr View Post
      Honestly squassss, stop being an assss and stop picking fight with people over stupid things while thinking you know everything there is to know about this merger.
      Yeahhh Squassss ... what's up with your asss, man?
      Sorry ... not trying to a fuel the flame, it's just funny

      Quote Originally Posted by ("\(.:...:.)/")~RaWr View Post
      ... except that by buying T-mobile they are neglecting their duties to you and other customers of making the network something reliable, fast, and solid that you don't have to directly deal with everyday. Sure, T-Mobile may have its many flaws, but they have lower prices, GREAT CUSTOMER SERVICE, for the most part no unexplained hidden "prorated" charges on your account or stupid unexplained overages added monthly, and actually have 4G. How about att??? Even their advertisement of 4G is a lie to you and their customers.
      Sorry man, T-Mobile lied to you about its 4G network.
      Read here: AT&T Worst US Carrier, Again
      or here.
      Quote Originally Posted by ("\(.:...:.)/")~RaWr View Post
      If att really cared about its customers, why did it take away the unlimited data plan
      I think this was because AT&T did not realize that the "unlimited data" plan would put such a stress within their network when they started offering iPhone back in 2007. Heck ... no one knew that iPhone would had been such a success back then. Even Verizon rejected Apple offer to carry iPhone exclusively in 2006. HOWEVER, AT&T did invest billion of dollars throughout 2009 - 2011 to improve its structure.

      Quote Originally Posted by tsatryan View Post
      'bout time this thread was closed, don't you think, mods?
      Please don't.

      This is fun as long as everyone is being respectful to other.
      There's always a heat in a debate/discussion.

      I'm tired reading people whining about 4.3 jailbreaking, this is much better.
    1. pacmac's Avatar
      pacmac -
      cant wait for iphone 6 now...
    1. squassss's Avatar
      squassss -
      Quote Originally Posted by ("\(.:...:.)/")~RaWr View Post
      Honestly squassss, stop being an assss and stop picking fight with people over stupid things while thinking you know everything there is to know about this merger. OBVIOUSLY you are not a T-Mobile customer. If you were, you would understand why 99% of the 34 billion people with it 1) Are with T-Mobile and 2)Don't want it to be merged with its direct GSM rival, att.
      So that means that maybe you are with att, thus you are excited for all the new technology this will allow you to use. Heck I would be too, except that by buying T-mobile they are neglecting their duties to you and other customers of making the network something reliable, fast, and solid that you don't have to directly deal with everyday. Sure, T-Mobile may have its many flaws, but they have lower prices, GREAT CUSTOMER SERVICE, for the most part no unexplained hidden "prorated" charges on your account or stupid unexplained overages added monthly, and actually have 4G. How about att??? Even their advertisement of 4G is a lie to you and their customers.
      But nevermind all of that, I bet you can come up with a half bsed book in reply to that. However, just explain one thing to me: If att really cared about its customers, why did it take away the unlimited data plan as opposed to offering a 200MB (for the really low users amoung us) 2GB(Marginally enough with constant worries about going over each month for the average user) AND an unlimited plan for those of us who actually require more than 2GB a month (You know, apps that require internet, large email accounts, internet radio, youtube, our other personal business) specially when it is the exclusive iPhone carrier and it knows damn well that mobile data is to the iphone what water is to us humans.
      [Try not to include any crap about how you get free att wifi where available because they sure as hell dont have it at my house nor at my work nor on the way. Unless i stop at macdonalds or starbucks for the better part of half an hour. Try not to include anything about how people use too much internet or how everyone that had it before got it grandfathered, because im sure that anyone who is gradfathered would be really pissed if they had to spend even a month limiting their mobile internet to either 200MB or 2GB.]

      For further reading: (Gizmodo)How the new att+mobile is probably going to bone you hardcore.
      Also, if you are thinking about quoting the att data usage calculator, just take out a normal calculator and try converting a daily lets say 1- 2 hour usage of internet radio (usually around 128kbps) for one month and tell me what plan will fit my usage under att.
      Sorry I stopped entertaining this circle jerk of misinformation a few hours ago. Just checked on it before going to bed. As for the merger.. I know several T-Mo people excited about it. I for one had T-Mo and dropped them because the service was garbage in my area. Quit crying about it and move on. LOL did you really quote Gizmodo? What's next? CNET?

      Once again as stated GSM is a merely a name. In the end it comes down to speed. Noone cares what it's called as long as it's fast. So crying about a GSM monopoly is a pretty weak argument to begin with. Riviera is the first to make any type of rational statement in a long time. The list of providers goes on and on... I listed 12... there is more than the ones I listed... I just picked random from a list. As for the MNO and MVNO argument. Last time I checked they were getting paid for their services and getting paid quite well. Virtual or not it's still competition and still hold whatever small piece of the market share they have.

      I find it funny that people think that this merger is going to screw consumers over and going to create OMG high prices on contracts. This coming from a community that will spend 700 bucks on an iPad and then another 700 when the new one rolls out a year later with minimal changes. If the prices go up I'll pay it.

      I'm not being an "assss" and picking fights,so please drop the whole E-knight mentality. I'm trying to talk with people about what is really going on and not this uninformed BS that people THINK they know. So many armchair CEO's here but yet none of you have proposed a better alternative. What do you think is going to happen if the merger doesn't happen? Demands will still increase and neither company will meet the demands. Make no mistake, T-Mo wants to grow just as much as AT&T does. Lets not forget they were selling the company anyway. AT&T just happend to be the winning bidder. What would you rather have? Sprint? Really?

      EDIT: That's it I'm done. Anyone with half a brain knows what is really going on here. If you don't look it up and don't just go by the copy/pasta from BS tech blogs either. Look up what really matters... the cold hard facts. Ask real questions that matter and not the ones that people tell you to ask. Otherwise you look like another tech blog lemming just spouting what the next tech site tells you.
    1. Riviera's Avatar
      Riviera -
      Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
      Oh this is too funny! You rip others for "not knowing what GSM is", and then you list a bunch of MVNO and MNO operators as though they are real cell providers. I mean, "7-Eleven"??? Really??

      MVNOs simply buy, re-label, and re-sell airtime and phones. They are not real cell providers. For very little money, you could set up "Squassss Cellular" as an MVNO operator. It's still just the same thing, but re-packaged and re-sold.
      Yes Really.

      And yes, FYI: there is a 7-eleven Wireless.

      You can call it what ever you want: "Re-badge, Re-label, re-seller".... BUT, they are a "cellular provider".

      Why?

      Because they have their own prices for the service they "provide" to their consumers, even though they operate under AT&T network

      Read --> 7-Eleven Speak Out Wireless - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

      Now why 7-eleven prices are different with AT&T?
      Both are on the same network, aren't they?
      Who do you call if you have issue with your cellular?
      Of course your provider.

      So is 7-eleven wireless is a re-badge AT&T?
      You tell me.
      Can you call AT&T if you have an issue with 7-eleven wireless?
      The answer is no, because the "provider" is not AT&T.

      Let me re-phrase it in different & simple analogy:
      You own a car, let's say it's an Audi.
      Do you know that Volkswagen owns Audi in which Volkswagen shares its technology in Audi's engine and its bells & whistles? But why are their pricing different, even though supposedly there 2 models with the same engine configuration which use the same technology?

      Now all of a sudden you have an electrical problems with your Audi.
      Do you complain to Volkswagen dealer or do you go to Audi dealer?
      Of course you will have to whine to your provider, right?
      Who is your "provider"? Yes ... Audi it is.

      Also, do you call an Audi is a re-badge Volkswagen?
      Also, do you call a Bugatti Veyron is a re-badge Volkswagen/Audi?
      FYI: If you pop Bugatti's hood, you will find Audi/Volkswagen engine in it
      Anyways, there are more than 180 cellular providers in the US
      Do you still disagree with the term "Cellular providers"?
      Call this guy - Steve Largent, President and CEO - CTIA The Wireless Association.
      Tell him that he's been wrong all this year.
      Or better yet ... call the FCC.

      Even T-mobile back in 2008 was using AT&T communication towers to streamline their signals in some metropolitan areas. Did you know this?
      Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
      The point is- there really are (or were) only two nationwide GSM providers in the US.
      AT&T is the largest GSM providers(subscribers wise), but there are other (small) providers.