• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • $2 iPhone Car Mount... Hey, It's an Option


    When money is no object, there is no shortage of cool modifications that one can make to their beloved iPhone or iPod. But as a decent expense in its own right, sometimes it is necessary to "cut corners" elsewhere in order to get the accessories you want at a price that doesn't break the bank.

    Today, thanks to a blog posting that's getting plenty of attention, we're reminded that all it takes is a little creativity (and some PVC pipe with some foam) to come up with a perfectly good - and functional- alternative to what can otherwise be an expensive vehicle mount for your iPhone.

    From the author of the post:

    Do you ever wander the aisles at store after store looking for just the right thing to hold your phone/GPS/mobile device while you're driving? There are tons of these on the market but I've never managed to find one that worked in my oddly shaped Scion XB.
    Well, not only did he make a handcrafted iPhone vehicle mount to suit his unique situation, he also inspired a lot of people to do the same - with appropriate modifications, of course, to accommodate their particular vehicles. Although it's a creative idea that's presented as an "alternative for all," you do, however, need some recessed area in or around your dash to make it work without proving a driving hazard or distraction while you're behind the wheel.

    Luckily for me, the original (super boxy) XB has an assortment of odd "spaces" in the dash. These make a perfect place to attach a rock solid, quick and dirty $2 mount that'll take less than 10 minutes to make from stuff you likely already have around the house.
    The instructions for this $2 iPhone vehicle mount is available at Instructables.com

    Image via Instructables
    This article was originally published in forum thread: $2 iPhone Car Mount... Hey, It's an Option started by Michael Essany View original post
    Comments 18 Comments
    1. blkcadi's Avatar
      blkcadi -
      nice................. it works, that's what matters.
    1. iphonerookie's Avatar
      iphonerookie -
      niiiiiiiiice
    1. lolcats1's Avatar
      lolcats1 -
      this qualifies as news? lol someones running out of mac and idevice rumors to post. :P
    1. vantheman169's Avatar
      vantheman169 -
      would look better with just some velcro on the back of your iphone case and some on your dash. That thing looks like rediculous!
    1. mastuul's Avatar
      mastuul -
      You can find real car mount kits on ebay for $4.95 including shipping.
    1. vantheman169's Avatar
      vantheman169 -
      Quote Originally Posted by mastuul View Post
      You can find real car mount kits on ebay for $4.95 including shipping.
      Sure can! Love you ebay!
    1. tudtran's Avatar
      tudtran -
      Very creative. I like it.
    1. sarahkillah's Avatar
      sarahkillah -
      ha ha .. that's funny. Looks like it would deter thieves if you put a NASA or radio-active sticker on it somewhere (small and subtle but effective)
    1. adsonjustin's Avatar
      adsonjustin -
      I'm pretty sure that's not safe.
    1. Fall3N iZ DoWn's Avatar
      Fall3N iZ DoWn -
      Quote Originally Posted by lolcats1 View Post
      this qualifies as news? lol someones running out of mac and idevice rumors to post. :P
      So rumors count as news now?
    1. Fallguy's Avatar
      Fallguy -
      Wonder what happens when he hits a pot hole ?
    1. loocfa's Avatar
      loocfa -
      i like it, crazy looking but a nice idea.
      i made a cool and easy/freeish ($1) car mount for my scion xa, this works for scion xb too.
      i velcroed the original dock for iphone, behide the steering wheel.(i did remove the outer plastic shell of the dock to allow me to dock my iphone with the case on,fyi a incase slider.
      my wife has the car today so i put together a photoshoped picture to give you a visual.if anyone cares i can upload a real photo later.
      you can charge it from here, using the data cable to car charger via the back of the dock, and aux cable in the back of the dock to the aux input in the car.
      it allows you to adjust the volume via car stereo and steering wheel controls.
      unfortunately skip track controls on steering wheel dont do anything,(if anyone knows a workaround this let me know) but so long as you are driving in and straight line you can access the whole iphone screen easily, allowing you to type and even handsfree.this is great of gps.
      i tucked the cables into the side panels on the dash etc, to keep it nice and tidy.
      hope someone finds this of interest, and i apologies for the crappy photoshop picture, but hopefully youll get the idea.


    1. StealthBravo's Avatar
      StealthBravo -
      Quote Originally Posted by Fall3N iZ DoWn View Post
      So rumors count as news now?
      Yes, and if you dont like it dont read it.
    1. iLaw-One's Avatar
      iLaw-One -
      This looks more like a driving hazard to me.
    1. rhekt's Avatar
      rhekt -
      very creative indeed
    1. apexad's Avatar
      apexad -
      I had previously bought a bracketron vent mount from Best Buy, but my vents could not handle the weight. I've thought about buying the windshield mount. However, I got inspired by this project and instead opted to spend less than $5 and create my own custom mount.

      I've just restarted my blog and wrote all about this project, so check it out, here: iPhone project: weak vents, strong handle = new mounting bracket - apexad.net

      Otherwise, the attached picture shows it off.
      My Jeep Liberty has no such 'holes' or anything to stuff a foam base into, so instead I used the large handle in front of the passenger seat.
      If you don't feel like reading my full write up, realize that those 2 ridged pieces unscrew, making the thing fully removable.

      I still have to paint it.
    1. confucious's Avatar
      confucious -
      How do you drive when you've got that where your stearing wheel should be?
    1. bengo's Avatar
      bengo -
      Quote Originally Posted by loocfa View Post
      i like it, crazy looking but a nice idea.
      i made a cool and easy/freeish ($1) car mount for my scion xa, this works for scion xb too.
      i velcroed the original dock for iphone, behide the steering wheel.(i did remove the outer plastic shell of the dock to allow me to dock my iphone with the case on,fyi a incase slider.
      my wife has the car today so i put together a photoshoped picture to give you a visual.if anyone cares i can upload a real photo later.
      you can charge it from here, using the data cable to car charger via the back of the dock, and aux cable in the back of the dock to the aux input in the car.
      it allows you to adjust the volume via car stereo and steering wheel controls.
      unfortunately skip track controls on steering wheel dont do anything,(if anyone knows a workaround this let me know) but so long as you are driving in and straight line you can access the whole iphone screen easily, allowing you to type and even handsfree.this is great of gps.
      i tucked the cables into the side panels on the dash etc, to keep it nice and tidy.
      hope someone finds this of interest, and i apologies for the crappy photoshop picture, but hopefully youll get the idea.


      That is the most retarded place to put the iPhone.