• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • Cycorder - Superior Free Video Recorder for 3G and 2.x


    Jay Freeman (aka Saurik), author of Cydia and WinterBoard, Friday released Cycorder (website not REALLY there yet. ), a FREE native iPhone video recorder application. The release comes hot on the tails of DreamCatcher's 2.x release of their $19.95 iPhone Video Recorder software, and is superior in many aspects.

    Before, I get into the details, here's a sample video recorded with Cycorder.

    [ame]http://saurik.cachefly.net/cycorder.mov[/ame]

    Quality on the videos is much higher than iPhone Video Recorder's movies, due to Saurik's use of MJPEG compression - the same compression used in the majority of point and shoot digital camera's with video support. Oh, and there is no waiting 3 times as long as your video length after you record before the video compresses and lets you watch it (as Showtime did, in 1.x firmwares - its not yet out for 2.x iPhones) - when you finish recording a video with Cycorder, you can immediately play the video back.

    The video playback list has a slick first-frame thumbnail shown for each video you've taken, vs just a listing of the time's of each video as competing video recorders have (MUCH easier to tell which video is which - if you record several videos in an evening or day, the times really don't help you much at all later).

    Videos are recorded at 384x288, a 4x3 aspect ratio. Depending on how well lit the area is, videos are recorded at between 6-15 fps. Saurik notes that the large variance of fps is due to the iPhone camera, which when video is recorded is basically taking pictures as fast as it can and when you take those photos the camera has to open its shutter, let in the light that makes up the photo, and close the shutter. The less light, the longer it takes to do that. So, better lighting equals higher quality fps, and therefore smoother videos.

    The UI is done in landscape mode, and is extremely simple and easy to use - press the large center button on the right (bottom if the iPhone is held vertically) to record/stop recording, and press the small arrow to open up your playback list. Saurik mentioned he's looking at ways to even have the videos show up in your iPod Videos list once recorded in Cycorder.

    Update!!!! Cycorder now includes audio

    Cycorder can be downloaded now from Cydia (its on the Featured Packages list on the front page of Cydia, or in the Multimedia section. I'd definitely recommend it - the video quality is the best out there, and audio will be included shortly.
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Cycorder - Superior Free Video Recorder for 3G and 2.x started by Kyle Matthews View original post
    Comments 333 Comments
    1. Ma5ter's Avatar
      Ma5ter -
      Saurik, this is an awesome job. Cycoder is much better then other apps. We all have to be grateful for this gift. With audio, this app would be perfect.
    1. kid5773's Avatar
      kid5773 -
      Quote Originally Posted by poetic_folly View Post


      Jay Freeman (aka Saurik), author of Cydia and WinterBoard, Friday released Cycorder (website not REALLY there yet. ), a FREE native iPhone video recorder application. The release comes hot on the tails of DreamCatcher's 2.x release of their $19.95 iPhone Video Recorder software, and is superior in many aspects.

      Before, I get into the details, here's a sample video recorded with Cycorder.

      [ame]http://saurik.cachefly.net/cycorder.mov[/ame]

      Quality on the videos is much higher than iPhone Video Recorder's movies, due to Saurik's use of MJPEG compression - the same compression used in the majority of point and shoot digital camera's with video support. Oh, and there is no waiting 3 times as long as your video length after you record before the video compresses and lets you watch it (as Showtime did, in 1.x firmwares - its not yet out for 2.x iPhones) - when you finish recording a video with Cycorder, you can immediately play the video back.

      The video playback list has a slick first-frame thumbnail shown for each video you've taken, vs just a listing of the time's of each video as competing video recorders have (MUCH easier to tell which video is which - if you record several videos in an evening or day, the times really don't help you much at all later).

      Videos are recorded at 384x288, a 4x3 aspect ratio. Depending on how well lit the area is, videos are recorded at between 6-15 fps. Saurik notes that the large variance of fps is due to the iPhone camera, which when video is recorded is basically taking pictures as fast as it can and when you take those photos the camera has to open its shutter, let in the light that makes up the photo, and close the shutter. The less light, the longer it takes to do that. So, better lighting equals higher quality fps, and therefore smoother videos.

      The UI is done in landscape mode, and is extremely simple and easy to use - press the large center button on the right (bottom if the iPhone is held vertically) to record/stop recording, and press the small arrow to open up your playback list. Saurik mentioned he's looking at ways to even have the videos show up in your iPod Videos list once recorded in Cycorder.

      Audio support is not yet included, but Saurik already has audio working on his test videos, and is ironing out some playback issues with the iPhone's mediaserverd before releasing. Depending on the success of his current ad-based monetization stratgey for Cycorder, audio support will either be a free upgrade or a premium upgrade which will also remove the ads.

      Cycorder can be downloaded now from Cydia (its on the Featured Packages list on the front page of Cydia, or in the Multimedia section. I'd definitely recommend it - the video quality is the best out there, and audio will be included shortly.
      i would just like to thank jay for all his hard work and time
      i appreciate this man .you did this for free .....very cool..great app
    1. jon01's Avatar
      jon01 -
      yeah awesome app. destroys the video recorder app. cant wait for audio support, also hope emailing the video is supported. any chance the videos can be saved to the videos dir so you can sync with itunes? now that would be awesome
    1. Kyle Matthews's Avatar
      Kyle Matthews -
      I sorree still I try the English learning.
    1. Muggz5's Avatar
      Muggz5 -
      Jay "Saurik" what you have done for the 2.xx firmware Apps, and all is just amazing. You have really outdone yourself and should be commended 10 fold! Keep up the outstanding work and dedication. It will pay off in the end for you if it already hasnt!!
    1. Jonathan Hoffberger's Avatar
      Jonathan Hoffberger -
      This is a great app. Is there any way to email these videos yet? is it coming in the next version? Great app. thanks!
    1. keatonreckard's Avatar
      keatonreckard -
      one more step closer for me to upgrade to 2.0.x
    1. replicat0r's Avatar
      replicat0r -
      wow great app!
    1. andrunious's Avatar
      andrunious -
      works great thx!
    1. mik3y08's Avatar
      mik3y08 -
      Ok big problem I found with this! When I have it installed my app flow totally stops working! I have almost all me apps hidden with poof so I had to SSH into phone delete this and app flow started working again. I wasn't sure if it was this app at first so I tried reinstalling it and app flow stopped again, I uninstall and it is fine again!

      Is anyone else experiencing any problems with app flow while having this installed?
      What should i do?
    1. 461am's Avatar
      461am -
      Quote Originally Posted by mik3y08 View Post
      Is anyone else experiencing any problems with app flow while having this installed?
      What should i do?
      Didn't notice it before, but you're definitely not alone; Appflow instantly crashes.
    1. Nyk's Avatar
      Nyk -
      even if this was paid, the lack of needing rendering time gets the win in my books
    1. Sullivan0930's Avatar
      Sullivan0930 -
      if i was a girl, id want this man to be my babys daddy. .....sucks for who ever paid $20.
    1. spyboy_1's Avatar
      spyboy_1 -
      Quote Originally Posted by harryding View Post
      is it just me or is saurik one of the more helpfull single developers for 2.X.X?
      I think i read somewhere that he's not eve acceptin donations for his work .. The guy is amazin.. Cydia is a masterpiece of an app. Wut will he code next?......
    1. 461am's Avatar
      461am -
      Quote Originally Posted by spyboy_1 View Post
      I think i read somewhere that he's not eve acceptin donations for his work
      You heard wrong. Just because he's a good developer doesn't mean he's a saint.
    1. mik3y08's Avatar
      mik3y08 -
      Quote Originally Posted by 461am View Post
      Didn't notice it before, but you're definitely not alone; Appflow instantly crashes.
      Yea this sucks because I really want this recorder... but i depend on app flow because i love to keep my home screen really nice and clean.
    1. phoenix.stu's Avatar
      phoenix.stu -
      First let me say that WOW the quality is so much better the the other recorder app. Great work Jay!!!!

      Next, where are the movie files located. I want to put them on my comp.

      Thx


      EDIT: Never mind, I found it.

      If anyone wants to know. The videos are located at:
      /private/var/mobile/Media/Videos
    1. panzival's Avatar
      panzival -
      Thanks a bunch Saurik!
    1. stlcaddie's Avatar
      stlcaddie -
      Quote Originally Posted by mik3y08 View Post
      Ok big problem I found with this! When I have it installed my app flow totally stops working! I have almost all me apps hidden with poof so I had to SSH into phone delete this and app flow started working again. I wasn't sure if it was this app at first so I tried reinstalling it and app flow stopped again, I uninstall and it is fine again!

      Is anyone else experiencing any problems with app flow while having this installed?
      What should i do?
      If this happens again, you don't have to ssh into the phone to get your apps to show back up. I had the same problem and just went to settings and reset all settings and all my apps came back to springboard and i was able to fix from there. As for appflow, great app but buggy still. I messed up by also hiding poof but after resetting all settings, my apps all reappeared.
    1. mik3y08's Avatar
      mik3y08 -
      Quote Originally Posted by stlcaddie View Post
      If this happens again, you don't have to ssh into the phone to get your apps to show back up. I had the same problem and just went to settings and reset all settings and all my apps came back to springboard and i was able to fix from there. As for appflow, great app but buggy still. I messed up by also hiding poof but after resetting all settings, my apps all reappeared.
      Yea I didn't think of that... Thanks for the advice.

      As far as these two apps not playing nice with each other, anybody got a solution?