• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • Apple's Flash Killer: "Gianduia"


    As its crusade against Flash picks up steam, Apple's homemade alternative is getting increasing attention. Gianduia is a client-side JavaScript framework released at last year's World of WebObjects Developer Conference that's aimed directly at Flash Player and Microsoft Silverlight. In a post today, AppleInsider notes the enthusiasm with which it was received by devs at the WOWODC, and highlights its potential as a way for devs to create rich web apps that don't need browser plugins.

    The odd name Gianduja (say "jan-DO-ya," can't wait to see how bad people are gonna butcher the pronunciation as this spreads) is an Italian masquerade character and also a kind of chocolate candy with hazelnut in it. It's that last meaning they were probably thinking of here: another takeoff on the name "Cocoa," just like "Cocoa" is a takeoff on "Java." It was described by developer Jonathan Rentzsch as “browser-side Cocoa (including CoreData) + WebObjects, written in JavaScript by non-js-haters.” Renztsch said his "Jaw dropped," and that he was "Blown away by Gianduia.” It's a standards-based framework, and since it's all JavaScript it allows for maximum portability and doesn't depend on a single company (like Adobe for Flash or Microsoft for Silverlight)

    Apple has already implemented Gianduja in Apple Retail's WebObjects-based services like the Personal Shopping reservation system. The One-to-One program, iPhone reservation system, and its Concierge service for Genius Bar reservations also use Gianduja. More information is expected at this year's WOWDC, which is usually timed to coincide with the Worldwide Developers Conference in June.
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Apple's Flash Killer: "Gianduia" started by Paul Daniel Ash View original post
    Comments 26 Comments
    1. ownerofspam's Avatar
      ownerofspam -
      I'll hope that some developer sees the potential in this and makes a fantastic Megas XLR browser game for me to play...or a new app!
    1. DisneyRicky's Avatar
      DisneyRicky -
      Is this about HTML5?
    1. ownerofspam's Avatar
      ownerofspam -
      Quote Originally Posted by Disneyricky View Post
      Is this about HTML5?
      No bro, this is about what Runescape 3 is going to run on.
    1. Success.Is.Sweet's Avatar
      Success.Is.Sweet -
      EDIT: Should have read further into it. Sorry for the knee jerk reaction.
    1. n00neimp0rtant's Avatar
      n00neimp0rtant -
      Reminds me a little of the JavaScript Flash Player for iPhone a while back.
    1. mvhurlburt's Avatar
      mvhurlburt -
      Quote Originally Posted by Success.Is.Sweet View Post
      So Apple is completely against "proprietary", "closed" software (hypocrites) to watch web videos and play games such as Flash and Silverlight, then goes and makes their own?

      Fail.
      Ummm not exactly proprietary, while it isn't a public offering yet it IS comprised of totally open web standards. It may never materialize to be a public framework and may just be a tool that Apple uses for its on internal webapp deving. At any rate I don't think people entirely understand what this is....it isn't some brand new flash killer, similiar frameworks have been available for quite some time now. These include SproutCore, Cappucino, WOLips and of course WebObjects. These are all entirely open web programming frameworks that have been developed on top of an Open JS API. The above quote is just stupid however, bottom line is this isn't a browser plugin like Flash or Silverlight, It is something entirely different and I hope that it does evolve to kill flash in the webapp arena as if and when it is a public framework it will be open, it will be improved upon by the community, and won't be closed, under lock and key by apple and perhaps most important it will not be a proprietary system(IE Flash, SilverLight, etc) It will not be vulnerable to the plethora of security holes, performance issues and the like that plague flash. Abode is the only entity that can audit flash for these issues and improve upon them, Open Source is the exact opposite and consequently tends to be more optimized and secure, this results in a better experience. As I mentioned before this does not require a plugin prone to a number of issues ranging from compatibility to security, it requires a modern web browser that can interpret JavaScript, which is just about every rendering engine out there(WebKit, Trident, Gecko, etc) Like it or not open standards are the future of the web, they offer platform independent portability, performance, security, scalability, more rapid development and about 1,000 other advantages over plugin-based web browsing. Just my two cents.
    1. arem's Avatar
      arem -
      Quote Originally Posted by Success.Is.Sweet View Post
      So Apple is completely against "proprietary", "closed" software (hypocrites) to watch web videos and play games such as Flash and Silverlight, then goes and makes their own?

      Fail.

      Ummm....You fail.
      This is a JavaScript framework.
    1. rhekt's Avatar
      rhekt -
      it should be interesting to see how this will develop
    1. vantheman169's Avatar
      vantheman169 -
      Quote Originally Posted by mvhurlburt View Post
      Ummm not exactly proprietary, while it isn't a public offering yet it IS comprised of totally open web standards. It may never materialize to be a public framework and may just be a tool that Apple uses for its on internal webapp deving. At any rate I don't think people entirely understand what this is....it isn't some brand new flash killer, similiar frameworks have been available for quite some time now. These include SproutCore, Cappucino, WOLips and of course WebObjects. These are all entirely open web programming frameworks that have been developed on top of an Open JS API. The above quote is just stupid however, bottom line is this isn't a browser plugin like Flash or Silverlight, It is something entirely different and I hope that it does evolve to kill flash in the webapp arena as if and when it is a public framework it will be open, it will be improved upon by the community, and won't be closed, under lock and key by apple and perhaps most important it will not be a proprietary system(IE Flash, SilverLight, etc) It will not be vulnerable to the plethora of security holes, performance issues and the like that plague flash. Abode is the only entity that can audit flash for these issues and improve upon them, Open Source is the exact opposite and consequently tends to be more optimized and secure, this results in a better experience. As I mentioned before this does not require a plugin prone to a number of issues ranging from compatibility to security, it requires a modern web browser that can interpret JavaScript, which is just about every rendering engine out there(WebKit, Trident, Gecko, etc) Like it or not open standards are the future of the web, they offer platform independent portability, performance, security, scalability, more rapid development and about 1,000 other advantages over plugin-based web browsing. Just my two cents.
      Wow you know ur ****
    1. NSXrebel's Avatar
      NSXrebel -
      Quote Originally Posted by Success.Is.Sweet View Post
      So Apple is completely against "proprietary", "closed" software (hypocrites) to watch web videos and play games such as Flash and Silverlight, then goes and makes their own?

      Fail.
      no, YOU fail, at reading comprehension.
    1. Nicholas Knight's Avatar
      Nicholas Knight -
      Quote Originally Posted by Success.Is.Sweet View Post
      So Apple is completely against "proprietary", "closed" software (hypocrites) to watch web videos and play games such as Flash and Silverlight, then goes and makes their own?

      Fail.
      its not closed at all actually....its extremely open and javascript based
    1. DarkoNova's Avatar
      DarkoNova -
      Quote Originally Posted by ownerofspam View Post
      I'll hope that some developer sees the potential in this and makes a fantastic Megas XLR browser game for me to play...or a new app!
      Oh god. I haven't even heard that name in so long. One of the greatest cartoons ever and it got cancelled.

      You dig giant robots!
      I dig giant robots!
      We dig giant robots!
      Chicks dig giant robots!
      Nice



      Matt
    1. vedavis's Avatar
      vedavis -
      Let me guess...the gears in the article's picture is 'reinventing the wheel'?
    1. Kroo's Avatar
      Kroo -
      Quote Originally Posted by Success.Is.Sweet View Post
      So Apple is completely against "proprietary", "closed" software (hypocrites) to watch web videos and play games such as Flash and Silverlight, then goes and makes their own?

      Fail.
      It's all java based language which is free to developers to code, but users don't have to install a proprietary plugin container to render graphics. Developers won't have to buy a suite like CS5 costing hundreds/thousands of dollars just to develop as its a javascript framework. The framework is open, so where is the proprietary status here?

      All you seem to do on these forums is can Apple for anything they do and expose your unintelligent bias. Why not grow a brain and leave your prejudices at the website door. Judging by all the intelligent people here commenting on your rant, you've been exposed.

      You fail! Again.
    1. mvhurlburt's Avatar
      mvhurlburt -
      While the above replier may come across as an idiot I do have the feeling that I may have been the person who started the "Success.is.sweet" bashing rest...well you may not be able to comprehend an article people shouldn't be so mean.......with that said if you don't want people to point out the obvious flaws in your reply please understand the article before sounding like an idiot. Just do urself a favor and do a little research first if u don't understand...we shouldn't all be dix to u if you don't know what you are talking about....wikipedia WebObjects,WOLips, sproutcore, etc ....there is nothing this board hates more than ignorance, in fairness this article did make apple's new JS framework seem like a plugin flash-like technology. I don't post much here or anywhere else but please don't post ignorantly. Again my two cents(or 4 cents....2*2 lol!!!)
    1. awesomeSlayer's Avatar
      awesomeSlayer -
      This better be something good, not a memory hog like Flash.
    1. Kroo's Avatar
      Kroo -
      Quote Originally Posted by mvhurlburt View Post
      While the above replier may come across as an idiot I do have the feeling that I may have been the person who started the "Success.is.sweet" bashing rest...well you may not be able to comprehend an article people shouldn't be so mean.......with that said if you don't want people to point out the obvious flaws in your reply please understand the article before sounding like an idiot. Just do urself a favor and do a little research first if u don't understand...we shouldn't all be dix to u if you don't know what you are talking about....wikipedia WebObjects,WOLips, sproutcore, etc ....there is nothing this board hates more than ignorance, in fairness this article did make apple's new JS framework seem like a plugin flash-like technology. I don't post much here or anywhere else but please don't post ignorantly. Again my two cents(or 4 cents....2*2 lol!!!)
      The one you speak of only posts anti Apple rants and contributes nothing, so in many eyes he is a troll, you will realise this if you read his rubbish. If someone wishes to pop their head up and expose their stupidity and bias (all the time), do they not a deserve a whack every now and then? He won't listen to informed reality, just have continual kicks at Apple. Considering these are Apple forums, I don't think it's reasonable to post "anti" Apple rants every time. A troll gets what they deserve, and he got his. Just my two cents.
    1. sziklassy's Avatar
      sziklassy -
      Quote Originally Posted by pauldanielash View Post

      The odd name Gianduja (say "jan-DO-ya," can't wait to see how bad people are gonna butcher the pronunciation as this spreads) is an Italian masquerade character and also a kind of chocolate candy with hazelnut in it.
      Chances are you too will technically butcher it, unless you speak Italian without an accent.
    1. PAKIS-RULEZ's Avatar
      PAKIS-RULEZ -
      Quote Originally Posted by Kroo View Post
      It's all java based language which is free to developers to code, but users don't have to install a proprietary plugin container to render graphics. Developers won't have to buy a suite like CS5 costing hundreds/thousands of dollars just to develop as its a javascript framework. The framework is open, so where is the proprietary status here?

      All you seem to do on these forums is can Apple for anything they do and expose your unintelligent bias. Why not grow a brain and leave your prejudices at the website door. Judging by all the intelligent people here commenting on your rant, you've been exposed.

      You fail! Again.

      apple said flash is ipad killer! meaning if other system and phones run flash this proves that apple is 1d1ot and their technology sucks and can run flash! flash is known to have issues in MAC OS as well its not adobe's fault that they don't know how to make it run! y not we have problems in the windows to android.....


      its not about apple want to do open source things you look in your brain and think 2ice why apple ban flash! they don't know how to run flash in their OS so blaming it on its too heavy for their devices thats a total bull sl-l1t.. if other phones can run it without a problem that means its your device that can't handle not the other way around!
    1. Kroo's Avatar
      Kroo -
      Quote Originally Posted by PAKIS-RULEZ View Post
      apple said flash is ipad killer! meaning if other system and phones run flash this proves that apple is 1d1ot and their technology sucks and can run flash! flash is known to have issues in MAC OS as well its not adobe's fault that they don't know how to make it run! y not we have problems in the windows to android.....


      its not about apple want to do open source things you look in your brain and think 2ice why apple ban flash! they don't know how to run flash in their OS so blaming it on its too heavy for their devices thats a total bull sl-l1t.. if other phones can run it without a problem that means its your device that can't handle not the other way around!
      WTF? Can someone translate this into something intelligible.

      It's not Adobes fault because they don't know how to make THEIR product work on platforms other than Microsoft??? So they don't know how to run their own products? Geez, thank god they're dropping flash, if they aren't professional enough to make their product WORK!!!! So it's the roads fault if the car I make won't run on it??

      Here's some facts you choose to ignore or don't understand. Each browser on each device, be it phone or computer, need a different flash plugin container to be coded. Mac flash container code is majorly flawed and badly written, as adobe favour microsoft OS over all others. Flash has some seriously flawed problems on all frameworks including PC's. Constant browser crashing is common, and Apple don't wish their mobile browser to crash every time flash kicked in. Do some real research before slagging off here about something you know little about. I can't believe the dumb as$es that frequent this place.

      See how flash runs SO WELL on android tablet. Quote, "This one does flash,...OOPS"! And then ignores crash and moves on. LOL :
      [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hqFTx8rLsg[/ame]


      Educate yourself a little. Have a read:16 month-old bug continues to crash Flash - The Unofficial Apple Weblog (TUAW)
      http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...obe_flash.html