• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • [Windows] How to Jailbreak and Unlock iPhone 2G Firmware 3.0 with RedSn0w
    This guide will teach you how to jailbreak AND unlock your iPhone 2G running 3.0 firmware using RedSn0w on Windows.

    I strongly recommend you backup and restore your iPhone 2G to 3.0 firmware via iTunes BEFORE you begin this guide. By strongly recommend I mean restore to 3.0 firmware.

    You will need RedSn0w 0.7.2 which you can download here along with the iPhone 2G 3.0 firmware file available for download here. You also need the 3.9 and 4.6 bootloader files. Download 3.9 here and 4.6 here.

    Once you have downloaded everything, extract redsn0w-win_0.7.2.zip to a location on your computer. You should see redsn0w.exe. Run it.

    Click Browse.



    Find your iPhone 2G 3.0 firmware file you downloaded earlier. Select it and click Open.



    RedSn0w tells you that the ISPW is successfully identified. Click Next.



    There will be a quick pop up.



    Select your options to Install Cydia and Unlock. If you don't need to unlock your iPhone 2G you can de-secelct Unlock



    If you are unlocking you need to located the 3.9 and 4.6 bootloader .bin files you downloaded earlier.









    Now that you have told RedSn0w where the bootloader files are click Next.



    At this point you should make sure your iPhone 2G is plugged into your computer AND turned off. Click Next.



    RedSn0w gives you instructions. We are entering DFU mode now. First hold the power button for 3 seconds.



    Keep holding the power button and start holding the home button for 10 seconds.



    Release the power button but continue holding the home button for 30 seconds.



    RedSn0w does its thing. Let it.













    Finally RedSn0w has finished loading everything onto your phone. You will see a pretty screen on your phone as it is being Jailbroken and Unlcoked. Don't mess with your phone while all this is going on. After your phone restarts you are done!

    This article was originally published in forum thread: [Windows] How to Jailbreak and Unlock iPhone 2G Firmware 3.0 with RedSn0w started by Cody Overcash View original post
    Comments 845 Comments
    1. flashgordon517's Avatar
      flashgordon517 -
      Quote Originally Posted by theotzt View Post
      Hi
      I don't know what i'm doing wrong.I have tried about 9 times i get to the stage where the iphone shows a green arrow pointing down to a disk and message says downloading jailbreak data.
      This goes on for a while and the phone goes back to DFU mode ?
      Help appreciated
      Thanks

      how did you figure it out?? i got the same issues.....
      thanx
    1. rushbuster70's Avatar
      rushbuster70 -
      Quote Originally Posted by flashgordon517 View Post
      how did you figure it out?? i got the same issues.....
      thanx
      do you have itunes open?this happened to me when i had it opened?

      i did was update to 3.0 through itunes then did the jailbreak/unlock through redsn0w

      worked fine.just make sure you have itunes closed.
    1. sazcujo1's Avatar
      sazcujo1 -
      Quote Originally Posted by sazcujo1 View Post
      first off i should tell you that I am on a 1st gen iphone, went from 1.1.1 to 1.1.4 not too long ago.... now i am looking to upgrade to 3.0.

      Somebody told me i can just upgrade through itunes and it would not undo my jailbreak/unlock.....is this true?

      I d/l the necessary tools on the first page in preparation for the worst however, and I am having a few issues....

      Browsing to select the IPSW, the 3.0 restore i saved to my desktop comes up "no items match your search", Following advise i edited the names of all the extracted folders and files to end in .ipsw (which changed the icons for all of them) each one when selected in redsn0w however comes up "unable to recognize specified IPSW"

      Any help would be greatly apprectiated

      BUMP, please guys....

      I have a non working phone right now.
    1. dipica98's Avatar
      dipica98 -
      thanks a lot
    1. Morrolan's Avatar
      Morrolan -
      Much frustration with trying to unlock this iphone. It's a 2G that was updated through itunes. I has the lock on the phone and only the USB and itunes logo on it. Emergency calls are the only thing accessible. I've tried to downgrade to 2.2.1 through itunes, but I get an error that the firmware file is not compatible no matter which downloaded ipsw I use. I've tried redsn0w 0.8 (following the instructions to the letter) to unlock 3.0, but the program hangs at the second waiting to reboot screen. I've looked up how to see which firmware I have installed, but with the locked phone I can't access any information. How do I get this to work? I'm using windows and do not have access to a mac.

      I even tried downgrading to itunes 8.1 and received an error message that I needed 8.2 for the iphone.
    1. Al3xInn0's Avatar
      Al3xInn0 -
      hey guys my software just crashed and I don`t know what 2 do I try 2 switch it on and nothing happens and when I`m trying 2 charge it , on the screan appears the apple and when I remove it from the charger it goes blank screen

      Could any one help I don`t wannt to go 2 a service because it will be very expensive I tryed a lot of methods but none worked
      It gives me 1601 error in iTunes and i cannot restore it

      PLEASE HELP !!! Cheers
    1. ridertwin's Avatar
      ridertwin -
      I have followed the procedure to the tee at least 10 times and my phone will not re-boot the second time. I am using a pay as you go sim card and that may be my problem. I need some help! Anyone? Thanks a lot
    1. nnaidoo's Avatar
      nnaidoo -
      Hi there,

      I have the same problem!!! ....any idea how to fix it?
    1. xpr's Avatar
      xpr -
      Broke my iPhone. HELP
    1. plummer's Avatar
      plummer -
      same here....!! Help!
    1. blkcadi's Avatar
      blkcadi -
      Try restoring to a fresh copy of 3.0 in iTunes and then run the J/B again. There are problems also if you are on Windows and running Vista.(May want to try a diff. machine or a Mac) It's a long thread I know but you may want to take the time to read back through it and see how others have cured their problem. Good luck.
    1. plummer's Avatar
      plummer -
      i actually got my 2G running after some problems (using XP 64 and Vista 32). Redsnow would say that it was done....but the phone was stuck on the downloading screen. Constantly stuck there.
      I ended up restoring my 2g to original (this even errored out the first time but then a 2nd attempt went ok). Then I applied the ispw file (using Redsnow) and only did an unlock. It then went through and worked just fine. Good luck all.
    1. Xhao's Avatar
      Xhao -
      Quote Originally Posted by plummer View Post
      i actually got my 2G running after some problems (using XP 64 and Vista 32). Redsnow would say that it was done....but the phone was stuck on the downloading screen. Constantly stuck there.
      I ended up restoring my 2g to original (this even errored out the first time but then a 2nd attempt went ok). Then I applied the ispw file (using Redsnow) and only did an unlock. It then went through and worked just fine. Good luck all.

      Can you explain, what do you mean by restoring your 2g to original?
    1. plummer's Avatar
      plummer -
      Quote Originally Posted by Xhao View Post
      Can you explain, what do you mean by restoring your 2g to original?
      sorry.....restored from Itunes itself. It just took a couple of tries before it successfully updated.
    1. xpr's Avatar
      xpr -
      Didn't work on Windows 7. Did work on XP Pro
    1. sarafanuj's Avatar
      sarafanuj -
      I'm basically a newb to iphone editin n hackin.. I bot the iphone 2g 8 gb in 2007 wid a valid contract from at&t. Now I have moved to India and I paid a guy to unlock and jailbreak my iphone. Currently its at version 2.2.1. Now I want to try and upgrade it to version 3.0 myself because it seems pretty straightforward. I have a couple of concerns however.

      How do I make sure that I don't lose any data from my phone? I want to make sure I have a backup of all my contacts, messages etc.

      I'm not sure how to upgrade to 3.0 firmware.If I use that option in itunes then wont my phone become locked again?
    1. srsuser's Avatar
      srsuser -
      Quote Originally Posted by xpr View Post
      Didn't work on Windows 7. Did work on XP Pro
      Yeah. I tried it on w7 7100 and it crashed right in the middle of the jailbreak. tried it at a friends house (xp sp2) and worked flawlessly.

      Quote Originally Posted by sarafanuj View Post
      I'm basically a newb to iphone editin n hackin.. I bot the iphone 2g 8 gb in 2007 wid a valid contract from at&t. Now I have moved to India and I paid a guy to unlock and jailbreak my iphone. Currently its at version 2.2.1. Now I want to try and upgrade it to version 3.0 myself because it seems pretty straightforward. I have a couple of concerns however.

      How do I make sure that I don't lose any data from my phone? I want to make sure I have a backup of all my contacts, messages etc.

      I'm not sure how to upgrade to 3.0 firmware.If I use that option in itunes then wont my phone become locked again?
      sync your contacts, messages, etc through iTunes.

      to upgrade firmware go into DFU mode. then open iTunes and click on your iPhone on the left. Then press the shift button and click restore. Load up the 3.0 ipsw file that you can get on apple's website. it should reboot.
    1. hernanr's Avatar
      hernanr -
      Quote Originally Posted by Janstin View Post
      I just found this site, my bro gave to me, i'm having problems with my unlocked/jailbroken 2g iphone.. so you had ur's alrdy jailbrkn/unlocked and when u upgraded to 3.0 it stayed that way?

      do i just need to upgrade to 3.0 or restore to 3.0? i have the option to download and install 3.0 from itunes.. but should i urpgrade to 8.2 itunes first? i'm using windows XP and have firefox if that's any help!

      srry i'm a n00b with this!
      I've updated to 3.0 the first time. But i found a couple of problems, like youtube not working.

      So I've RESTORED to 3.0 on iTunes 8.2 (sync before restore, so you can restore settings later), then used redsnow to jailbreak, checking install cydia and no check on unlock, because i've already bootneutered my phone when it was on 1.1.4

      Good luck!

      P.S.: I used Windows XP, iTunes 8.2 and redsnow 0.7.2

      Quote Originally Posted by xpr View Post
      Broke my iPhone. HELP
      Explain a little bit more your problem, so we can help you

      Quote Originally Posted by ridertwin View Post
      I have followed the procedure to the tee at least 10 times and my phone will not re-boot the second time. I am using a pay as you go sim card and that may be my problem. I need some help! Anyone? Thanks a lot
      Try Enter into DFU mode, then RESTORE to 3.0 on iTunes, and then use redsnow

      If still not work try differents versions of redsnow (from 0.7.1 to the newest)

      Quote Originally Posted by sazcujo1 View Post
      BUMP, please guys....

      I have a non working phone right now.
      Are you on Windows or on a MAC?
      The ipsw file is a single file you download from here.
      But if you are using safari, it will extract all the files inside .ipws, so don't use safari.

      Quote Originally Posted by SLUGATHON View Post
      hi guys

      ive been trying to jailbreak my iphone 2g without any luck. i follow the intrustions correctly and everything goes well till the last second when it come to the 2.1 boot neuter screen and it just freezes there. ive tried using vista and xp. does anyone know how i can jailbreak or fix this problem. many thanks

      S
      If you unlocked before (1.1.4 or 2.x), just don't check "unlock" on redsnow (choose only install cydia).
      Don't worry, it will remain unlocked.
    1. hasalem's Avatar
      hasalem -
      hey guys, i am quite a new user, can anyone help me with this, i have downloaded the restore file, but when i unziped it, it didnt include a file with extention ispw. my phone is now locked because i upgraded it through it tunes to 3.0 as recomended above and i needed that file (ispw) to start the process as explained above
    1. Al3xInn0's Avatar
      Al3xInn0 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Al3xInn0 View Post
      hey guys my software just crashed and I don`t know what 2 do I try 2 switch it on and nothing happens and when I`m trying 2 charge it , on the screan appears the apple and when I remove it from the charger it goes blank screen

      Could any one help I don`t wannt to go 2 a service because it will be very expensive I tryed a lot of methods but none worked
      It gives me 1601 error in iTunes and i cannot restore it

      PLEASE HELP !!! Cheers
      no one