• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • The Great Screen-Protector Ban of 2010


    Apple has made the unprecedented (and, frankly, odd) decision to ban all screen-protecting film products from all retail stores and the Apple Online Store. Manufacturers have come forth today to (anonymously) tell a number of online sources, such as iLounge and Macworld, that the ban will start in May. No reason was given for the move, which will affect not only standalone film products, but any case that includes a film screen protector.

    The ban is comprehensive: every kind of screen film, including clear film, glare-reducing film, or colored film will no longer be permitted at any Apple store, whether it is meant to protect an iPhone, an iPod, an iPad, or a Mac. No films. None.

    Vendors and manufacturers who have spoken up have all done so anonymously, indicating that Apple has lowered one of its mafia-style secrecy edicts over this move. Some of these anonymous informants have put forth guesses as to why films are being forbidden, while taking pains to be clear that these are only guesses. A popular theory is that, because it's hard to apply these films straight, without air bubbles or junk getting caught between the film and the screen, films are being returned more often than most accessories. But others are speculating that Apple just decided that selling protective film will leave consumers with the impression that Apple screens are easily scratched. As buyers begin streaming in to Apple Stores to buy (fairly) expensive touchscreen iPads, the reasoning goes, they'll take one look around them at all the screen protectors and begin to worry.

    Apple may be dealing with bad memories of the 1st generation iPod nano, which was so sensitive to being scratched that consumers filed a class action lawsuit, complaining that the displays were so poorly made that just putting them in the pocket of your jeans made the screen unreadable. Apple ended up paying users $25 US each to settle the lawsuit.
    This article was originally published in forum thread: The Great Screen-Protector Ban of 2010 started by Paul Daniel Ash View original post
    Comments 81 Comments
    1. Rescuer's Avatar
      Rescuer -
      this doesn't bother me one bit. i could care less what the apple store sells.

      i buy many things from sites like dealextreme, etc. for 1/10th the cost of the apple store
    1. StealthBravo's Avatar
      StealthBravo -
      I have never used protection

      for my screen of course
    1. Rescuer's Avatar
      Rescuer -
      Quote Originally Posted by stealthbravo View Post
      i have never used protection

      For my screen of course
      lc
    1. GellBrake'rrrr's Avatar
      GellBrake'rrrr -
      Tiger92 Posts: 182
      They are not banning screen protectors, they are just not selling them in their store anymore. I don't really care because anything apple sells in over priced anyway.

      100% Agreed! Why pay 3-5 times as much for what you can have delivered to you free of charge?

      Effenpig! Posts: 438
      How can something that is clear be ugly? Hmmm

      It's rather simple to understand. It doesn't take a rocket scientist... However, it doesn't take much to get a bubble under one of 'em and some people actually do let their laziness overcome their desire to have a flawless looking screen... And trust me, I'm sorry to say that I've seen a lot of 'em.
    1. dm2017's Avatar
      dm2017 -
      That's it. I am done with apple. I understand they are only taking them out of their stores. I don't shop at the apple store anyways. To overpriced. However it is this kind of mentality that is driving me fcking crazy. Apple seems to think they can do anything and everything they want. And they can because people will still buy their stuff. No more for me. I'm buying a google nexus one. Guess what?? It supports flash 10.1 and omg u can multitask. Such a better product then the iPhone. I've had a 3G and a 3G S. Loved them. Hate apple. Enough is enough.
    1. DutchMaster22's Avatar
      DutchMaster22 -
      is this for real? good thing i got my invisi-shield when i did then. this thing is awsome
    1. Kroo's Avatar
      Kroo -
      Anyone who buys a screen protector from an apple store is stupid anyway. You pay triple the price for something you can by at any phone stall in any mall. 10 bucks for three. I wouldn't use them anyway, they end up looking all poxy. WHO CARES!! Not me. Maybe apple realise they can't compete with 3 for 10 bucks, type offers.

      Anyone who can't take reasonable care of an expensive phone doesn't deserve one. Three iphones, no screen protectors and zero scratches and my kids are them same, because they don't treat it like a set of car keys.
    1. steve-z17's Avatar
      steve-z17 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Rescuer View Post
      lc
      Oh snap! Haha!

      I've got a screen protector on my 3G from Zagg, and the only reason I have it is to protect my phone from my nieces and nephews touching it with dirty fingers.

      Quote Originally Posted by dm2017 View Post
      That's it. I am done with apple. I understand they are only taking them out of their stores. I don't shop at the apple store anyways. To overpriced. However it is this kind of mentality that is driving me fcking crazy. Apple seems to think they can do anything and everything they want. And they can because people will still buy their stuff. No more for me. I'm buying a google nexus one. Guess what?? It supports flash 10.1 and omg u can multitask. Such a better product then the iPhone. I've had a 3G and a 3G S. Loved them. Hate apple. Enough is enough.
      See ya! One less complainer on the site!
    1. Doppler's Avatar
      Doppler -
      It's not like Apple said they will void the warranty of their products if you used them. They just chose not to sell them. Reading anything further than that is silly. Everything has to have a hidden agenda for a lot of people. How about Apple decided NOT to carry them, because a lot of asinine people believe that Apple endorses these products or warranty these products. Instead of dealing with spending time and man power to "tech support" some other companies product(I know of a lot of Apple guys putting screen protectors on for customers) they rather have that company do it themselves. They are not paid to put screen protectors, they are there to sell APPLE products.

      Quote Originally Posted by dm2017 View Post
      That's it. I am done with apple. I understand they are only taking them out of their stores. I don't shop at the apple store anyways. To overpriced. However it is this kind of mentality that is driving me fcking crazy. Apple seems to think they can do anything and everything they want. And they can because people will still buy their stuff. No more for me. I'm buying a google nexus one. Guess what?? It supports flash 10.1 and omg u can multitask. Such a better product then the iPhone. I've had a 3G and a 3G S. Loved them. Hate apple. Enough is enough.
      Sorry to break it to you. All phones regardless of a dumb phone can multitask. Definition of multitasking - Preform 2 or more processes during a single processing cycle.

      Examples of multitasking:
      Pressing the 1 key does 3 different processes during a single process. Lights up the screen, puts a 3 on the screen, and make a tone(depending on the phone).

      Dialing the number and calling it. It tracks how long you are on the phone, sends and receives data while you are on the call. send and receive voice.

      An END USER can't multitask without using more than just sense of sight, on a small screen. Run two applications that require sight you are not multitasking as you can only see 1 set of information. If you had the ipod running, and you were texting people then you are multitasking. As you are processing the music while during the same cycle texting someone.

      What you are referring to is background processing. Haven't you ever wondered why the iDon't commercial say "iDon't run simultaneous apps" instead of "iDon't Multitask". They knew they were liable for false advertisement by saying the the latter.

      Now I believe the END USER has a better chance multitasking on the iPad over the iPhone/iTouch due to screen size.
    1. SchmilK's Avatar
      SchmilK -
      Quote Originally Posted by opiak View Post
      i think screen protectors make them look ugly anyways. had mine for 2 years without any scratches on the screen itself.
      i haven't had mine that long, but the guys i work with have and their screens look like **** because the screen protectors are all peeling off in the corners and hazy and you can barely see. Whenever I go to show them something new they all comment 'wow, why does your screen look so good?' i reply, because I don't believe in screen protectors.

      From what i remember apple invested alot of time in producing the greatest touch screen on the 3gs. From what I remember reading it is designed with a fingerprint-resistant coating that is best cleaned by wiping it on your jeans. And I have to say, it works very well!
    1. dm2017's Avatar
      dm2017 -
      Either way screw apple and I wish the worst to Steve jobs. Let his cancer rot his insides. If you were to name a country to a company, apple would be china.
    1. jOnGarrett's Avatar
      jOnGarrett -
      I'm reading a lot of dumb *** comments against screen protectors.

      My response is this:

      screen protectors are like condoms, some guys feel they don't need them while others want to protect their "valuables"

      If you don't like screen protectors don't use them but stop trashing people who do.
    1. extremzocker's Avatar
      extremzocker -
      Apple's favorite hobby: banning stuff
    1. victis's Avatar
      victis -
      APPLE is F***ing crazy...... what up with all the Bans lately jesus holy f***ing christ what are they gonna band next???
    1. Fewzz's Avatar
      Fewzz -
      Bah sod Apple now anyways , fed up with the iphone its boring and my contract is now ended so time to look for a new phone

      This sort of attitude from Apple is typical of them, bye bye Apple.
    1. eg6motion's Avatar
      eg6motion -
      screen protectors aren't needed anyway. The screen is glass...if you scratch it, a protector wouldn't have helped you anyway.
    1. hov215's Avatar
      hov215 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Luppin View Post
      A screen protector is an absolute must for the iPhone. I don't know about you, but I personally shelled out $600 for the 3G and the 3GS and I'll be damned if I leave open the possibility of a $300 device becoming scratched. I know a girl who has gone through over 10 iPhone because she keeps dropping them and they keep cracking but her parents keep buying her knew ones, some people actually work for the things they have and can't just leave the continued usability of these devices up in the air.
      ----------------
      Um... I think that no matter if you have a thin clear screen protector or not, if you drop your phone the glass screen is going to break. your argument makes no sense...

      Besides, don't you all know that the iPhone 3GS is made with a newer technology screen than the 2G and 3G. It has fingerprint resistant screen and also is scratch proof. There is no need for the screen protectors on the 3GS, it will not scratch
    1. CaptainChaos's Avatar
      CaptainChaos -
      Can you use a screen protector on an AOLED screen? This has to be the reason. A new screen is coming out...not necessarily that one, but something is coming.
    1. Davesdream's Avatar
      Davesdream -
      Of Course...thats the idea!!!
    1. m3thodandr3d's Avatar
      m3thodandr3d -
      After I had my iPhone 3GS 32GB replaced by Apple for a faulty battery, I brought my new refurb home only to discover it had the new bootrom and couldn't be jailbroken. Two weeks later I realized how bad the iPhone sucked without jailbreaking. If Apple is looking to drive away their customers with ridiculous bans and trying to jailbreak proof their devices I will never do business with them again. I've had my iPhones since iDay 1. I decided to sell my iPhone on craigslist and just ordered a new Nokia n97 that supports flash and multitasking.

      BTW: iPhone 3GS screens do scratch... I've had mine scratch 3 times fanboys. Apple is absolutely ridiculous, and will fail to the newer Windows 7 phones coming out.