Man's iPhone 6 Plus Reportedly Catches on Fire While Charging
An Atlanta man named David Grimsley reportedly had his iPhone 6 Plus catch on fire overnight while it was in the middle of being charged.
The iPhone was on his bed, in easy reach, when suddenly he was awoken by the sound of a smoke alarm. Grimsley is said to have pushed the iPhone off his bed quickly enough to prevent sparks from starting a fire, and when it landed on the carpet beside his bed, he continued to push the iPhone until it was on a harder floor where the spark show would eventually end.
Grimsley contacted Apple after the event occurred, Fox News reports, but Apple apparently didn't seem very sympathetic about what had just happened, and instead only offered to replace the iPhone for him. Although Grimsley accepted the replacement device, he's now skeptical of such a problem re-occurring.
"The whole apartment could have burned down," said Grimsley. "I thought they'd be more concerned, or check to see if I got burned or anything was damaged."
Apple reportedly hasn't responded to Fox News just yet due to holiday leave.
Again, this serves as an important lesson on how lithium-ion batteries can sometimes be dangerous when met with manufacturer defect or lack of user care. Although it's a relatively stable battery platform, this is one in many instances where the batteries have become unstable.
Source: Fox News