• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • AT&T vs Unlimited Plan Users: Round 2


    We reported that AT&T was cracking down on tethering 3 weeks ago, and it looks like they're up to it again. Based on forum comments, we've summarized what we're seeing from AT&T.

    The first round appeared to be users on AT&T unlimited data plans that used more than 10GB of data in March. The latest round appears to be similar users using more than 5GB in March. It appears AT&T is on a data witch hunt. We've seen the message sent to users who simply use a lot of bandwidth (and never even tether/jailbreak) as well as users that use unauthorized tethering. What's most shocking is that many users have reported calling AT&T and were asked if they were using Netflix, Pandora, etc. Some have been told that using those services is the definition of tethering. We're not sure if this is coming down from the AT&T top, or if this is simply non-technical AT&T customer service reps that are confused about what tethering is. However, based on the number of user reports, and the chances that users are very likely reaching different reps, this seems like deliberate AT&T rep training. Seemingly unethically, many customers are being convinced to pay for a tethering plan when they're in fact not tethering at all.

    For users that have been wondering, here's some analysis and summarization of posts across the forums:
    1. Some users who never have jailbroken have stumbled upon our forums and have reported that they have received the infamous "Did you know tethering your Smartphone ....?" texts.
    2. Users of MyWi, PDANet, and TetherMe have received the texts.
    3. Users are of all iOS's versions (at least we've seen 3.1.3 - 4.3). There's no iOS version pattern.
    4. Only unlimited data plan users are receiving the texts.

    As AT&T is only pursuing unlimited data plan users, it seems this is most likely a data witch hunt rather than anything else. Obviously, if AT&T starts pursuing 2GB capped plans, then I think the perspective changes. It may simply be that they're chasing the biggest users right now.

    Need To Know Information on Tethering

    We've got a fairly techy community here, and users have been speculating all sorts of ways AT&T could be monitoring. We wanted to clear up some of the misinformation:
    1. HTTP User Agent: As some AppStore apps allow different user agents, this is not a 100% positive indiciator.
    2. DNS entries: Your tethered OSX/Windows computer hits specific entries like windowsupdates.microsoft.com. This is a pretty good indicator that your tethering with an OS other than iOS. While you could argue that you could point your browser to these URL's, that doesn't explain why data was transferred back and forth. (If you want to make an app that you can install on your iPhone that simulates the communication of Windows update chatter and send that to AT&T as an explanation, we wish you luck!). This does not apply for iPad to iPhone tethering of course.
    3. Content: Your Safari browser won't download Flash. Given that Flash is in widespread use, most pages you visit on a tethered PC will access Flash content. However, this is also not a 100% positive indicator as you could have installed comex's awesome Frash.
    4. TCP signatures: OS's have specific ways of ack/nack, TTL (time to live) start, congestion, and more for TCP requests/responses. It's possible to guess at the OS based on these signatures. However, because the tethered device is behind the NAT, active fingerprinting is not possible. Passive fingerprinting is possible if the tethering app is not completely rewriting the packets, using elements like OS IPid patterns, ttl, and others.

    These seem to be the 4 big mentions - with the DNS entries to OSX/Windows updates being the most vulnerable (and probably least likely to be used). We're guessing it's probably #4. While that's probably the most network appliance intensive, it appears AT&T only has a few huge pipes for it's 3G network traffic to go out of, so there's not many places this needs to be done. Unless of course it's PURELY based on the amount of data - possible, since users are asked if they "use Netflix or Pandora."

    We'll do a roundup on what each of the tethering apps do with respect to TCP signatures, as we're strongly convinced AT&T's data witch hunt has no merit (again, evidenced by many users that don't tether at all receiving those "nasty" messages simply because they have an untethered plan and are using > 5GB per month). We'll have another article with our analysis of tethering apps TCP signatures in the next few days!
    This article was originally published in forum thread: AT&T vs Unlimited Plan Users: Round 2 started by Kyle Matthews View original post
    Comments 721 Comments
    1. Trooper Sam's Avatar
      Trooper Sam -
      Quote Originally Posted by javiert30 View Post
      In our contract with ATT, under iPhone and Certain Other Devices says:

      I agree that ATT may add required plans to my account and bill me the appropriate monthly fee if I use an iPhone or other device that has plan requirements.

      So if they do it, we all going to have to pay the early termination fee agreement $325.00 to cancel the contract. But I tell you what, I will pay it without think about it.
      That specifically refers to the requirement to have a dataplan with a smartphone. It does not give them license to change the requirements mid-contract.

      Here's something that seems to be being overlooked. AT&T is about to go into a rather lengthy and painful period of Federal scrutiny over their desired purchase of T-Mobile.

      If you want to complain about this harassment, don't do it to AT&T, do it to the Federal Trade Commission and the Federal Communications Commission. Both agencies are likely to have lots of hearings regarding the merger, and I'm sure that AT&T would like as few speedbumps as possible in the process.

      After all, how'd you like to be the AT&T hack who authorized this and shot down the merger? Remember, AT&T is out of pocket for three billion dollars to T-Mobile even if the deal falls apart.
    1. HCWHunter's Avatar
      HCWHunter -
      We wouldn't be having this discussion at all if there weren't data hogs who are using upwards of 20 - 30gb a month on ATT 3G. I don't care whether it's through tethering or just "streaming netflix all day." For one thing, I don't believe those who say they use over 10gb w/o tethering, but maybe that's just me. ATT is charging what the market will bear, nothing more, nothing less. That's the market system. If T-Mobile's unlimited data for less money was SUCH a good deal, then they wouldn't have been sold to ATT. Sure, I wish it was cheaper too, but no other company provides it cheaper so that's that.

      I have MiWi but rarely use it. I don't even use 2gb most months, but keep the unlimited because I might need it at some point. I have wifi at home and work and only use it when I'm traveling and want to check email or browse the web for a while on my laptop or iPad. I also use it as a backup if my cable modem goes out for an hour or 2.

      If ATT is only targeting those over 5gb/mo. then I'm fine with that, tether or no tether. Even if they only went after those over 10gb/mo. it would make things less congested for the rest of us. Sure, it stinks that they want $20 just to tether, but it's gonna take a competitor offering tethering cheaper to change that.
    1. Trooper Sam's Avatar
      Trooper Sam -
      Quote Originally Posted by alexevo View Post
      I hope they make you change your plan when you upgrade to the iPhone 5 and or do what European countries do and make you pay nearly full price for the phone and charge less for the plan. Pick your poison.
      Full price for the phone and less for the plan? DEAL!!!
    1. Brr's Avatar
      Brr -
      The most logical way of AT&T to go about this exercise is to go by regions/markets and not by alphabetical order like some have thought. When they scan users for the tethering they will be going through their systems in a localized fashion hence my thinking that it's by regions. They'll go to say "Atlanta" and poll their network systems there and do their cross checks to see who they'll send their letters, emails or text msg. Then they'll go to "Chicago" and do their cross checking there again. All one market at a time, but I'm sure they can check dozens of markets pretty quickly. Anyway, that's what I think.
    1. pcrussell50's Avatar
      pcrussell50 -
      the wireless telecom situation here in the us is treading on NOT being a market system. however, to the extent that it is, the cutomer and the provider play cat and mouse. for example, paying for text messaging is outrageous... so i don't do it. i use google voice. but AT&T has every right to try to charge for it... their tactic works on suckers, but doesn't work on me. if you're fool enough to pay for it, or if your employer pays it for you, that's a huge plus for AT&T. almost every fashion market relies on ignorant suckers. and make no mistake, until iPhones become ubiquitous commodities that make the newport beach hardbodies yawn instead of drool, they ARE part of the fashion market. witness the numbers people who drop whatever they have and come running into uncle stevies arms. jaibreaking and tethering are also healthy parts of the cat and mouse game that savvy customers use to apply pressure to the market. in turn, the market presses back with things like AT&T is doing right now. its the way of the free market. the only thing is, over the long term, I am of the opinion that ultimately, the big telco's will tip the balance in their own favor by buying off politicians who will pass legislation that stifles competition, making the market less and less free.
    1. JohnGaltJr's Avatar
      JohnGaltJr -
      It's been nearly 3 years since the introduction of the the iPhone that uses the 3G data network in the USA. Don't you think AT&T has had enough time to deal with the demand? Really now... with record profits, can't they actually support the consumer instead of pandering and appeasing the shareholders with quarterly EPS reports? Or is all of this still a surprise to them? I guess they all missed the "strategic planning" course in B school.

      I wonder how long it will take for the true unlimited 4G plans to get eliminated too. Probably once enough people take the bait and sign up for those plans. Then they'll pull the rug out from them too, and like now there will be little we can do to oppose "them" with no significant competition- if we want to keep our iPhones.
    1. AKCHRIS's Avatar
      AKCHRIS -
      lmao!!
    1. HCWHunter's Avatar
      HCWHunter -
      Quote Originally Posted by JohnGaltJr View Post
      It's been nearly 3 years since the introduction of the the iPhone that uses the 3G data network in the USA. Don't you think AT&T has had enough time to deal with the demand? Really now... with record profits, can't they actually support the consumer instead of pandering and appeasing the shareholders with quarterly EPS reports? Or is all of this still a surprise to them? I guess they all missed the "strategic planning" course in B school.

      I wonder how long it will take for the true unlimited 4G plans to get eliminated too. Probably once enough people take the bait and sign up for those plans. Then they'll pull the rug out from them too, and like now there will be little we can do to oppose "them" with no significant competition- if we want to keep our iPhones.
      None of the Telco's are going to spend all that much to improve 3G coverage since they all are already working on 4G rollouts. Sure they'll continue to fill coverage gaps here and there but there's no big financial incentive to IMPROVE the 3G system overall. I'm sure they learned that at Biz school. Some of you guys seem to think that pleasing the stock markets is somehow different than pleasing the customers. You couldn't be more wrong, they are one and the same. Pleasing one means pleasing the other. Apple is a prime example.
    1. alexevo's Avatar
      alexevo -
      Quote Originally Posted by pcrussell50 View Post
      You mean, like a phone that is already "wired" for tethering capability? A capability that can be turned on with a software, "switch"?



      No native tethering of any kind was available in the iphone before 3.0.0, not even with the BenM.at mod. This fact forces me to conclude that tethering capability was put there by Apple beginning with 3.0.0, to be turned on at the carrier's discretion. All the BenM.at mod did was to make the "settings>general>network>internet tethering" toggle that was made part of the 3.0.0 firmware, visible to users who applied the mod. Further, they also gave out the APN's required to configure the tethering. Same as tetherme does for those of us with 4.x.x. It's not an aftermarket app like mywi, it simply turns on the iphone's native tethering capability. if you look at the file size of tetherme, it's like 40k or so.

      -peter
      I tried arguing it but after going back to my old school 3G and checking out the BenM.at package some more and others, you're right.

      +1 peter.

      Quote Originally Posted by Trooper Sam View Post
      Full price for the phone and less for the plan? DEAL!!!
      I'm with you on this one as I've been out of contract for nearly 2 years now and I'd gladly pay $600 or $700 and only have a 60 dollar monthly bill for the same features.


      Lastly, to those of you that complained about dropping calls in Manhattan, was this just on your iPhone? When I used to travel to NYC and other places I'd sometimes use my junky Nokia 2610 and I never dropped a call with that phone. It's had the best reception of any phone I ever owned and I even got reception in places any other AT&T phone I've owned has never had reception.

      Maybe its just the iPhone?
    1. scottw03's Avatar
      scottw03 -
      Quote Originally Posted by MYPHONEI View Post
      Honestly this is a failed argument.

      This is the 21st century, phones, all phones are becoming hand held computers and rely on the web.

      Iphone requires a data plan because the basic functions of the IOS is based partly on the web and connectivity to the web just as android does.
      At&t wanted the Iphone, both US carrires requires data plans. In this At&t was then obligated years ago to plan for a network that could support the phone and the future.

      You and others keep blaming people for using the network, it is not our fault. At&t wants the money and huge profits then brainwashes people into a logic that we are somehow responsible for the problems with the network they have not upgraded.

      As the use of wireless advances as well as cloud computing, it is the duty of the wireless carriers to provide and keep up the needed services we pay a premium for.

      It is At&t's fault for the congestion not the users.

      It is a failure to blame users.
      Please explain. When we had EDGE only in my area I used to turn data and 3G off on my phone and only use Text and phone while I was out of my house to conserve battery power. My phone worked just fine. Because EDGE was so slow my iPhone was pretty much just a phone when I was out but I could still write and email and have it sent when I got home to my wifi, watch movies, read a book, play games. All that without data. The updates for iOS come through iTunes so again, no data plan needed for that.

      Just curious since I do not really understand why a data plan is required if you own this phone when you do not seem to need it to use it for some of the basic functions it can provide. Please enlighten. Thank you.
    1. kraziebone's Avatar
      kraziebone -
      Quote Originally Posted by confucious View Post
      Do you know of a solution that could be implemented? Or are you just pissing in the wind?
      His solution is faster speed, unlimited bandwidth with fantasy equipment that never wears out and is deployed on every block. Apparently logic doesn't work so this sounds about right...

      If you're using 20GB a month on your iPhone streaming netflix or hulu than good for you for taking advantage of your unlimited data, that's what we paid for right? However, if you're using tethering as your only home LAN and racking up data by the GB then AT&T has the right to eliminate your data plan because that's not what you or AT&T signed up for. It may void your warranty but at some point it is no longer beneficial to have people using masses of data.

      Nobody here signed an AT&T data plan with the intension of using it as their home broadband so why when apps like MyWi come out it's all of the sudden a right of all of ours?

      I'm not talking about the occasional tether which is totally legit but if you're downloading movies or TV shows, torrenting, or any other form of mass data consumption, it's just hurting the rest of us.

      As a side note - how is it that MYPHONEI has hijacked both tethering discussions? It's getting old. I can recite his argument by memory. There is no need to cast aspersions like he does but hey, free to cut this post up into small clippets and tell me my argument has "failed".
    1. RiotNrrrd's Avatar
      RiotNrrrd -
      I've just read all 16 pages of this thread and there's two things that I have questions about.

      (1) How on EARTH are some of you using over 10(!) GB a month ... on 3G ?!?

      I don't get it ... do you not own a cable/DSL modem at home with any wireless capability or something?

      I barely use any 3G data every month because most of my use of data on my iPhone 4 is over my home or work wireless ... I can't even imagine the pain of trying to stream Pandora radio stations or - God forbid - NetFlix movies over a 3G connection!

      (2) Back when I had my iPhone 3G I used that BenM.at hack package to do Tethering ... came in damn handy one day when we had a 4+ hour power blackout in my neighborhood!

      Now with my iPhone 4 (and with the BenM.at package no longer installed) I've never tried to tether ... but when I go to Settings -> General -> Network I see Internet Tethering with a spinning cursor ...

      Eventually the cursor stops and it changes to Set Up Internet Tethering which, if I press it, brings up a popup saying

      --------------------------------------------------------
      Set Up Internet Tethering
      To enable tethering on this account,
      contact AT&T at 611 or visit
      http://www.att.com/mywireless

      [Call]
      [Go to Website]

      [Cancel]
      --------------------------------------------------------

      Now as far as I know I have a grandfathered Unlimited plan ... why am I getting cock-blocked trying to Tether?

      [Mods - if this is too much of a side-tangent, please tell me which thread to post it to]
    1. Joedogg2112's Avatar
      Joedogg2112 -
      Quote Originally Posted by confucious View Post
      Streaming and tethering are both as bad as each other, just AT&T never prohibited streaming so they cant now say you can't do it.

      The reason they are both far, far worse than other forms of data usage is because of the way the mobile data networks work.

      Basically, if I understand correctly, each base station (or cell, or tower) has multiple channels and multiple time slices. These can be allocated between voice and data with voice always being given priority and when a bit of data is transmited it takes a channel for a period of time and releases it so someone else can use the channel, this can happen multiple times per second so many people can use a few channels.

      Tethering and streaming both grab and hold a channel or channels so no one else can use them. A few channels can service many hundreds of voice calls, or 'normal'data uses but only a very few tethered/streaming connections. If a base station has 8 channels and there are 7 people tethering/streaming then only 1/8th of it's capacity is available for everyone else's data/voice which is why they have connection problems.

      I'm sure someone with more technical knowledge can explain it better than I have, it was explained to me a few years ago by someone who was a telecoms engineer and confirmed by others, the exact details are a bit hazy but that is the gist of it.

      If my memory serves me wrong then I would appreciate someone enlightening me but if I am right it does explain why networks do not like tethering or streaming.
      Well, when I updated my iPhone 4 to 4.3 and got the hotspot option I called AT&T and thay said yes I could teather if I changed my data to do it, so I changed my data plan to the 4 gig a month tethered plan and am paying 45$ a month to do it and have had no problems,,,, so I'm going to use up my 4 gigs a month,,, and even before I had that plan I had the
      unlimited plan and did not even use 4 gigs a month,,, so I look at it as paying a little more for the option to tether


      Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi
    1. MYPHONEI's Avatar
      MYPHONEI -
      Quote Originally Posted by kraziebone View Post
      His solution is faster speed, unlimited bandwidth with fantasy equipment that never wears out and is deployed on every block. Apparently logic doesn't work so this sounds about right...
      Your so funny, Other carriers and other countries have the newer tech, At&t is updating, but my point is its not my responsibility. Some people on here seem to think you pay for a service and you should only use enough till "It stresses the system" of At&t, if that was true then At&t should only sell 1gb month plans and no tethering plans.

      If you're using 20GB a month on your iPhone streaming netflix or hulu than good for you for taking advantage of your unlimited data, that's what we paid for right? However, if you're using tethering as your only home LAN and racking up data by the GB then AT&T has the right to eliminate your data plan because that's not what you or AT&T signed up for. It may void your warranty but at some point it is no longer beneficial to have people using masses of data.
      This is a failed argument.
      It doesn't matter how you use the Data you pay for.

      points missed in these threads :

      1. We have a plan we pay for called Unlimited Data and no one has been charged for using Data.

      2. At&t has unlimited Tethering ( 2gb plus 2gb with tethering for $45 a month unlimited because they will not cut you off and you will pay $10 additional for each 1gb, you could use 100gb for all they care)

      Nobody here signed an AT&T data plan with the intension of using it as their home broadband so why when apps like MyWi come out it's all of the sudden a right of all of ours?

      I'm not talking about the occasional tether which is totally legit but if you're downloading movies or TV shows, torrenting, or any other form of mass data consumption, it's just hurting the rest of us.
      You can't have it both ways.

      As a side note - how is it that MYPHONEI has hijacked both tethering discussions? It's getting old. I can recite his argument by memory. There is no need to cast aspersions like he does but hey, free to cut this post up into small clippets and tell me my argument has "failed".
      LOL funny, like I have no right to post? Good way to try to win an argument.

      It would help your case if you would not say "Its wrong to tether if at home but it's ok on occasion" If its wrong, its wrong.

      You can't say its ok to jaywalk on this street but not the other one, Wrong is wrong and right is right.

      Funny hijack? I have done nothing but discuss tethering on a thread that is about tethering and At&t. That is not hijacking.

      You just do not like me, no need to make it personal.






      Please explain. When we had EDGE only in my area I used to turn data and 3G off on my phone and only use Text and phone while I was out of my house to conserve battery power. My phone worked just fine. Because EDGE was so slow my iPhone was pretty much just a phone when I was out but I could still write and email and have it sent when I got home to my wifi, watch movies, read a book, play games. All that without data. The updates for iOS come through iTunes so again, no data plan needed for that.

      Just curious since I do not really understand why a data plan is required if you own this phone when you do not seem to need it to use it for some of the basic functions it can provide. Please enlighten. Thank you.
      Digg
      Did you pay for Data? Yes because At&t required it. Could you use Google maps or weather with Data off? No.

      There are other functions as well,

      Apple intends you to be able to log onto Itunes and App store to buy products from your Iphone anywhere anytime, that is one basic reason Data is required for the phone, Apple calls it Experience and Function, I call it capitalism.

      If you try to use an Iphone on At&t without Data the At&t system knows the phone is an Iphone and will add the Data plan no matter what you do, this has been discussed for the past year on other threads.

      At&t has kept up with the future in this way.
    1. Moosestache's Avatar
      Moosestache -
      Quote Originally Posted by MYPHONEI View Post
      Your so funny, Other carriers and other countries have the newer tech, At&t is updating, but my point is its not my responsibility. Some people on here seem to think you pay for a service and you should only use enough till "It stresses the system" of At&t, if that was true then At&t should only sell 1gb month plans and no tethering plans.


      This is a failed argument.
      It doesn't matter how you use the Data you pay for.

      points missed in these threads :

      1. We have a plan we pay for called Unlimited Data and no one has been charged for using Data.

      2. At&t has unlimited Tethering ( 2gb plus 2gb with tethering for $45 a month unlimited because they will not cut you off and you will pay $10 additional for each 1gb, you could use 100gb for all they care)

      You can't have it both ways.

      LOL funny, like I have no right to post? Good way to try to win an argument.

      It would help your case if you would not say "Its wrong to tether if at home but it's ok on occasion" If its wrong, its wrong.

      You can't say its ok to jaywalk on this street but not the other one, Wrong is wrong and right is right.

      Funny hijack? I have done nothing but discuss tethering on a thread that is about tethering and At&t. That is not hijacking.

      You just do not like me, no need to make it personal.








      Did you pay for Data? Yes because At&t required it. Could you use Google maps or weather with Data off? No.

      There are other functions as well,

      Apple intends you to be able to log onto Itunes and App store to buy products from your Iphone anywhere anytime, that is one basic reason Data is required for the phone, Apple calls it Experience and Function, I call it capitalism.

      If you try to use an Iphone on At&t without Data the At&t system knows the phone is an Iphone and will add the Data plan no matter what you do, this has been discussed for the past year on other threads.

      At&t has kept up with the future in this way.
      You are funny, you appear hear last month, hijack all the threads about tethering, rip long time contributors, call anyone who disagrees with you an at&t employee,makes things up to support your argument, and your name is pronounced my phoney. Sort of sounds like a verizon employee if I ever heard one
    1. MYPHONEI's Avatar
      MYPHONEI -
      Quote Originally Posted by Moosestache View Post
      You are funny, you appear hear last month, hijack all the threads about tethering, rip long time contributors, ................
      Calling the Kettle Black? I would read my own posts.

      Maybe I came along just a month ago and then maybe I didn't.

      You have no idea for sure, I could of been silent for years.

      there is no requirement to join to read the news here.

      As far as "Rip" friend its called debate, and as far as saying people are employees of At&t, you are one of them that I suspect, but it's not because of disagreement its because you have (using your definition) and a couple others have, "Hijacked the threads" as well. How many posts have you posted on tethering? I have most of your posts.

      I could be silent and make it a one sided conversation.

      Poor At&t....................

      I think tethering is a switch and should not be a charge and should be free, I have the unlimited Iphone plan since the Iphone was first released by Apple, 1st Gen, how long have you had Iphones?

      I've been a loyal Customer of Cingular then At&t since 2003 how long have you?

      WOW talk about crap, who cares how long someone has posted? You have no idea who they are, we do not post our Pictures and complete resumes on the internet ( I would advise against it) we can be anyone from Sara Palin to Obama.......you have no idea who I am or who these "Long time posters" are

      Maybe I'm Bruce Sewell LOL.


      I have a stance and I defend it, I also like to read other's stances but debate the facts of the stance just as they debate my facts.

      That's called Socratic learning, the great Argument. Personal attacks should not be apart of the argument yet I have fallen into the trap a couple times.

      Its not a Hijack to be on topic, yet this post is not on topic, so lets stay on the topic about At&t and unlimited and the attack they have on it which has included accusing people of tethering.

      Good day
    1. Cowboy's Avatar
      Cowboy -
      Ok guys stop insulting each other. It's okay to voice you opinions but no need to make the conversation heated.

      Ps I am an Att employee
    1. csglinux's Avatar
      csglinux -
      Quote Originally Posted by Moosestache View Post
      You are funny, you appear hear last month, hijack all the threads about tethering, rip long time contributors, call anyone who disagrees with you an at&t employee,makes things up to support your argument, and your name is pronounced my phoney. Sort of sounds like a verizon employee if I ever heard one
      Moosestache, I see you doing just as much hijacking as MYPHONEI. (Not that I have a problem with that - I enjoy the discussion and believe everybody has a right to voice an opinion.) The only "ripping" I've seen from this person is to question certain affiliations with AT&T. That's hardly an insult. Think about it for a second. You flame anybody that's critical of AT&T on these forums. Do you not see how that would arouse a certain curiosity on a site like this?

      Respectfully written without condescension or sarcasm.
    1. sirlance0505's Avatar
      sirlance0505 -
      Ok back on topic...

      I honestly do think att can see we are tethering. Only from the viewpoint that I maintain an ecommerce website for my wife. One of the basic functions of the shopping cart is I can see who is on our site. And by meaning "I can see who is on our site", I can tell if they are on a Mac/PC/iPhone/iPad. I can see which browser they are using, I can tell which firmware their iDevice is using and which mobile safari version they are on. Soooooo, if I can see all that with just such basic technology , I'm sure att has far better ways to detect than I do. And NO I DO NOT work for At&T. Just my .02

      And Yes I'm gonna keep tethering. (I think I found a way to fool them) only time will tell.
      And No I don't "abuse" my UNLIMITED data. 2.5g is highest I have ever had.
    1. confucious's Avatar
      confucious -
      Userid information is readily available and easily faked.
      If I did work for AT&T I think they would be able to do a bit better than that!