• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • Skype 2.0 Update Finally Adds 3G Voice Calling


    It seems like forever since Apple/AT&T (whomever actually has control over that) started allowing VOIP over 3G back in October of last year and for the past 8 months Skype has failed to update their app to allow 3G voice calling. Until today.

    Skype has released version 2.0 of its iPhone app (itunes link) and it makes calls over 3G. What's more, they sound great, as good as normal calls over AT&T's network. Maybe it's time to get the smallest AT&T plan, pick up Skype's $2.99 unlimited US and Canada plan, and save a bunch of cash.

    Skype-to-Skype calling over 3G is currently free (it has always been free on the desktop client) but unfortunately Skype plans on charging for that feature sometime in the future for the iPhone . When you start the new Skype 2.0 you get a friendly message stating:



    Free Skype trial

    You've got until at least August 2010 to make and receive free Skype-to-Skpe calls over your mobile network.

    After that, you'll need a mobile subscription
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Skype 2.0 Update Finally Adds 3G Voice Calling started by Cody Overcash View original post
    Comments 40 Comments
    1. johnr9412's Avatar
      johnr9412 -
      Sweet!! I wonder if the paid plans have something to do with the iphone 4g ability to make video calls on there
    1. Kruejl's Avatar
      Kruejl -
      Looks like a good way to save some cash.
    1. rhekt's Avatar
      rhekt -
      ?so what are the details? im on the edge of becoming a skype user. will it just take from your current AT&t plan. or will you have to purchase a separate plan from skype?
    1. cphase's Avatar
      cphase -
      If the skype-to-skype subcription is needed only for calls over 3G, people should be able to get around it using 3G Unrestrictor...
    1. mikerlx's Avatar
      mikerlx -
      How will it save $? I still need a mobile plan? I don't have access to wifi outside my home. How will skype work without Internet ?
    1. moomoochoo's Avatar
      moomoochoo -
      If they start charging then there is no point in using it anymore.
    1. Mackme's Avatar
      Mackme -
      Skype are just getting greedy,

      Jailbroken phones should get around the 3G stuff by installing
      VolPover3G
    1. sziklassy's Avatar
      sziklassy -
      You people are missing the point. If you have 3G where you live, you can literally background skype and call and be called by anyone in the US for $2.99. If you don't make a lot of calls, sure this isn't worth it for you. If this phone is your main line of calling, you will indeed save a bunch of cash. How is Skype being greedy exactly? They are offering for $2.99 an unlimited calling plan where we currently pay $40.00 for 700 minutes. What is up with everyone expecting services they use on a daily basis to be free forever?
    1. M4tt Dam0n's Avatar
      M4tt Dam0n -
      Can you entirely cancel your voice plan and just get the 2.99? That would be nice lol.
    1. nutz's Avatar
      nutz -
      Skype detects and displays a message about being unsupported on jailbroken iPhones. Wouldn't doubt they start blocking the application from working on jailbroken OS to combat free rides with the likes of 3G unrestrictor.
    1. ptodic's Avatar
      ptodic -
      And still no push support!!!! Unbelievable!!
    1. GellBrake'rrrr's Avatar
      GellBrake'rrrr -
      Sounds like a great shortcut! Too bad I don't know anybody that has it.
    1. javiert30's Avatar
      javiert30 -
      I thing they are working on the video conference version for the iPhone 4G. I think you are going to be able to use it for free with 3G unrestrictor maybe.
    1. MickDude's Avatar
      MickDude -
      Still no iPad screen support?
    1. confucious's Avatar
      confucious -
      VOIP is specifically excluded from my data plan so I can't use it.
    1. dhamien's Avatar
      dhamien -
      Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
      You people are missing the point. If you have 3G where you live, you can literally background skype and call and be called by anyone in the US for $2.99. If you don't make a lot of calls, sure this isn't worth it for you. If this phone is your main line of calling, you will indeed save a bunch of cash. How is Skype being greedy exactly? They are offering for $2.99 an unlimited calling plan where we currently pay $40.00 for 700 minutes. What is up with everyone expecting services they use on a daily basis to be free forever?
      They're being greedy because nothing changes on their part, there are no extra costs for them. They're just starting to charge for the calls simply because they can.

      For users, it's moving the costs from one company to another (ATT -> Skype). No wonder ATT was against this.
    1. whereswaldo's Avatar
      whereswaldo -
      I noticed this while updating, looks like AT&T is finally seeing the light
    1. AjBlue's Avatar
      AjBlue -
      Quote Originally Posted by moomoochoo View Post
      If they start charging then there is no point in using it anymore.
      Are you crazy? Of course skype to skype will eventually be free. You must understand that phonecalling as we know it is dieing. With the introduction of internet towers sprouting up in big cities, soon they will be cover just as much as cellphone towers or even more. Everything will go to the internet once everyone can get connection just as easily as radio or phonecalls. So people will be using internet calling and messaging services, its also cheaper to do all the services over one tower sending out internet. radio will go to the internet, cellphone will go to the internet, and TV will all end up on the internet mostlikely.

      sounds crazy now maybe, but trust me it will happen probably sooner than you think

      Quote Originally Posted by dhamien View Post
      They're being greedy because nothing changes on their part, there are no extra costs for them. They're just starting to charge for the calls simply because they can.

      For users, it's moving the costs from one company to another (ATT -> Skype). No wonder ATT was against this.
      Are you stupid?
      one its hell of a lot cheaper..
      two skype needs to pay for the servers that host your calls. Its not like they just magically found a way to call a cell phone through an app, they need servers to do it.
    1. dhamien's Avatar
      dhamien -
      Quote Originally Posted by AjBlue View Post
      Are you stupid?
      one its hell of a lot cheaper..
      two skype needs to pay for the servers that host your calls. Its not like they just magically found a way to call a cell phone through an app, they need servers to do it.
      Are you stupid? They already have those servers running and being funded by commercials and paying customers. There is absolutely no extra charge for them. They already provide the service for free when you do it from wifi. Do you think they magically need extra equipment because the data comes from a cell phone? No, ATT provides that connection, so there's absolutely no extra cost for Skype.
    1. aarondijitle's Avatar
      aarondijitle -
      does anyone know if this works over Edge? ... and yes, i am part of 97% of the population that doesn't have 3G in my area