• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • Another Video Calling Hint in Test Firmware?


    For those who have been waiting impatiently for video calling, there's one more clue suggesting that the long-awaited feature is coming on the next-generation iPhone. The Boy Genius Report - attributing it to a leak from "one of [their] Apple guys" - is showing screenshots purporting to be of an internal firmware test suite showing a debug mode for video calls.

    Video calling has been on many iPhone users' short list of functions that have been left out of the device. When the leaked fourth-generation prototype showed a front-facing camera, it was seen as vindication of rumors that had been swirling around for the past year or so. The supposed leaked screenshots are unsubstantiated of course, but it's kind of an odd screen to counterfeit... a clever faker would probably Photoshop an "iChat" screen or something.

    Video calling is pretty much a foregone conclusion, given all the rumors to date. What remains open to question is whether the functionality will be supported over 3G, or whether AT&T will throttle it. Stay tuned...
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Another Video Calling Hint in Test Firmware? started by Paul Daniel Ash View original post
    Comments 21 Comments
    1. fructose23's Avatar
      fructose23 -
      "Front-facing phone"?

      .... what.
    1. adsonjustin's Avatar
      adsonjustin -
      Awesome..
    1. RonHC's Avatar
      RonHC -
      zzzzZZZZZZzzz
    1. Cirtess's Avatar
      Cirtess -
      Att couldn't manage to give us mms forever.. Video calling??!! I'll believe it when I see it. Even if the functionality is there, we won't get to use it..
    1. dq13's Avatar
      dq13 -
      ATT doesn't even support tethering yet, u really think they will allow video calls and overload the network?
    1. vill304's Avatar
      vill304 -
      4.0 has tethering and even if it doesnt you can always jailbreak it, and if the 4g has the front video camera then i think its safe to say att already plans to allow video calling. why would you have a phone made to video call and the service provider not allow it. that wouldnt make any sense
    1. tw1zt3d's Avatar
      tw1zt3d -
      Is that the same way how fw 3.0 allowed mms and tethering, but we only got half of that in the states? Why would AT&T allow Apple to create a firmware using functions they couldn't utilize? that makes no sense. Just like Chewbacca on the planet Endor.
    1. whereswaldo's Avatar
      whereswaldo -
      other than skype, front facing cameras suck, i have one on my phone
    1. madczech's Avatar
      madczech -
      How weird would it look if you walk through and everyone is holding their iPhone infront of their face viedo calling is coool if zour on skype or ichat bu not on a mobile phone
    1. erawsd's Avatar
      erawsd -
      It wouldn't surprise me if it ends up being wifi only.
    1. chrisrotolo's Avatar
      chrisrotolo -
      doesnt att have a video call plan like .50 a call or something
      has to be able to unrestricted/cracked somehome even with homebrew
      provram to just run on 3g will probably run up heavy data bills just staring at each other....
    1. Nickaroni22's Avatar
      Nickaroni22 -
      Believe it, when it's in my hands.
    1. matistight@yahoo.com's Avatar
      So I'm on t-mobile...will this work for t mob like tethering and mms? Cause t mob doesn't have it does it...there'll probably be a front camera add on for other iPhones, other than the 2g because "edge is too slow"... What would the irony be If I did a video call with an AT&T iPhone hahah
    1. southfrisco's Avatar
      southfrisco -
      Quote Originally Posted by vill304 View Post
      4.0 has tethering and even if it doesnt you can always jailbreak it, and if the 4g has the front video camera then i think its safe to say att already plans to allow video calling. why would you have a phone made to video call and the service provider not allow it. that wouldnt make any sense
      Those on ATT and not jailbroken still can't tether. Those jailbroken and those outside of the US that are NOT jailbroken can tether through their carriers since OS 3.0 (June 2009). Apple built that into the OS for 3.0 but ATT said no. I see no reason to think just because Apple (might) have a front facing camera on the next gen iPhone automatically means ATT HAS to support video calling. Apple can't make the carriers do something they don't want to do (or are ready to do).

      MMS took two years. If ATT allows tethering now that will have been two years. No reason to think it will be another two years for video calls on ATT. At least Skype will probably build it into their app if all this comes true. Of course it will be over WiFi only, no 3G.

      Also video calling isn't going to be much of a good thing until 4G fully covers the states. It is pretty pointless over 3G and the video will be degraded so bad it will be mostly useless.
    1. rhekt's Avatar
      rhekt -
      hell yeah, im stoked
    1. erawsd's Avatar
      erawsd -
      Quote Originally Posted by southfrisco View Post
      Those on ATT and not jailbroken still can't tether. Those jailbroken and those outside of the US that are NOT jailbroken can tether through their carriers since OS 3.0 (June 2009). Apple built that into the OS for 3.0 but ATT said no. I see no reason to think just because Apple (might) have a front facing camera on the next gen iPhone automatically means ATT HAS to support video calling. Apple can't make the carriers do something they don't want to do (or are ready to do).

      MMS took two years. If ATT allows tethering now that will have been two years. No reason to think it will be another two years for video calls on ATT. At least Skype will probably build it into their app if all this comes true. Of course it will be over WiFi only, no 3G.

      Also video calling isn't going to be much of a good thing until 4G fully covers the states. It is pretty pointless over 3G and the video will be degraded so bad it will be mostly useless.
      I agree just because its in the phone ATT doesn't have to support it, and it'll be horrible over 3g even if they do allow it.

      However, it hasn't been 2 years since 3.0-- not even 1 year yet. It took ATT ~4 months to give us MMS.
    1. extremzocker's Avatar
      extremzocker -
      watch out BBM, iChat and iPhone are gonna overtake you!
    1. jabregousmc's Avatar
      jabregousmc -
      i kind of disagree that video calling on the phone over 3g will be that bad. i tether my iphone 3g to my mac and make skype video calls just fine (better than the wifi i have available where i'm at). so i dont see how it would be so terrible on a 3.5" screen. and for the "wifi only" idea...that's what my3g or 3g unrestrictor is for! my 2 cents
    1. CaptainChaos's Avatar
      CaptainChaos -
      Quote Originally Posted by dq13 View Post
      ATT doesn't even support tethering yet, u really think they will allow video calls and overload the network?
      Wifi
    1. arem's Avatar
      arem -
      Quote Originally Posted by jabregousmc View Post
      i kind of disagree that video calling on the phone over 3g will be that bad. i tether my iphone 3g to my mac and make skype video calls just fine (better than the wifi i have available where i'm at). so i dont see how it would be so terrible on a 3.5" screen. and for the "wifi only" idea...that's what my3g or 3g unrestrictor is for! my 2 cents
      Beat me to it.
      I've tethered and made skype video calls over 3G without any issues, and the quality is fine, on par with most wifi I've used actually.
      I really think ATT 3G speeds are quite decent, most of time pretty good actually, the problem they run into is throughput of data in heavy use areas. But I don't usually find it a problem at all where I am.
      If they offered more features (like tethering) INCLUDED in the plan...then I'd be very happy with them...but there's no fckin' way I'm paying for a data connection twice just because I wanna send that data through my MBP instead of my iPhone screen, not gonna happen. So even if they did offer it like that, I'd do it via jailbreak.