• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • Planetbeing: Android OS Now Running on the iPhone 3G



    David Wong, the "hobbyist hacker" much more widely recognized as "planetbeing," has posted a blog proclaiming Andoid's arrival on the iPhone 3G. Despite the admission that the port is "slightly more rough" than its predecessor (Android on first-generation iPhone port), Wong says this accomplishment is significant for no shortage of reasons, not the least of which is that it represents an "important milestone for the more DIY-minded owners of the millions of iPhone 3G devices that are out there."

    You can almost read the excitement in Wong's voice as he penned word that he has successfully made Google's Android OS run on the iPhone 3G, a feat that, without question, will engender more than a few ridiculously cool possibilities for the iPhone 3G - like using the Android OS to surf the web or exploring an entirely new world of apps. And while Wong praises the notion of "do-it-yourself," don't worry. You won't necessarily have to go it alone to make Android run on your iPhone 3G.

    you'll have your chance in a couple of days when the packaged binaries and instructions for the 3G are posted.
    In the midst of announcing the development, it was also noted that a host of tweaks were made to the first port. For example, the Wi-Fi driver "has been fleshed out with all the Android-specific extensions." Additionally, an Android icon has been slapped on the boot menu for easy access. And while audio support is yet to arrive, Wang assures his readers that this issue will be resolved next, as the "groundwork" has been laid. According to Wang, audio support on the 3G should be forthcoming in a matter of days.

    Indeed, the iPhone 3G is now running Android. To see Wong's video of the epic achievement, check out his blog.

    Image via planetbeing
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Planetbeing: Android OS Now Running on the iPhone 3G started by Michael Essany View original post
    Comments 150 Comments
    1. leonpeeon's Avatar
      leonpeeon -
      Quote Originally Posted by eZStaR View Post
      - The way you said "why is Beiber so popular when, as you just said, his music is crap?
      Popularity isn't the only thing that matters."
      almost says that you think Apple does not make quality products?
      Far from it.
      I have an aging 1st gen iPhone. It's the first (and only) Apple product I've ever owned. And I love it, and converted some of my friends to it.
      But I think that ever since Apple showed everyone how a mobile phone should be, other companies took heed, and started making really good devices.
      Whether or not the UI looks like Apple's is beside the point. The question is, how well things work and what options are given to you.
      And the fact that Apple sues isn't an issue, either. If you follow their recent business attitude, they pretty much wanna kill or buy (or both) the competition.
    1. mortopher's Avatar
      mortopher -
      1) Did you just say being sued by Apple does not mean anything? Have you lost your mind? Oh right, being sued for ripping another persons designs/data/ absolutely means nothing, and later defending the ripped off device. Right, your right, LOL.
      Wait until the lawsuit has ended before trying to use it as evidence that they "ripped off" Apple.

      2) Chart, is completely fair as for that point, both old OS's. What did the original iPhone OS look like when it FIRST came out beta or what ever you want to call it? The GUI and everything was almost exactly the same. iPhone OS - Wins.
      No, that chart compares the iphone 3.0 OS to an outdated Android OS. 1.5 (Cupcake) was already out by the release of the 3.0 os. On a personal note, I can't stand the majority of the iPhones GUI. Way too bland and boring for my taste.

      3) As you bash with me with your "ohh old OS," I can bash you with Droid coming out months and months after the iPhone 3Gs. What did the Droid do? Look at iPhone design, and make it better. Even though OS is ****. If you think Droid did nothing to copy, look at your own chart. Funniest point I have to make here is

      - Same Dimensions of the phone , = LMFAO. Other touch screen phones are not all same sizes, umm?

      - Added keyboard, lmao. Although not even needed, what the hell is point of touch screen, if you are using keyboard to text?

      - Same exact accelerometer sensors
      The comparison i linked to was between the top models of each OS. Both phones were on the market at that time whereas you used the most recent iPhone OS and compared it to an outdated Android OS.

      - Says your using a "Blackra1ned iPhone 3GS 16gb" on your Modmyi device. -LOL.
      Your point?

      4) "added" multitasking - although doesn't use API's. And "DOES" waste battery, and freezes and is totally buggy. My statement comes here
      Code:
      http://theroosterstrikes.wordpress.com/2010/02/25/droid-does/
      Don't even try to tell me that droid can handle multitasking, because that is a complete joke.
      "Droid does (bad):

      Multi-tasking/simultaneous app services. Sure it’s nice running Pandora and not have it completely shut down if a call/SMS/email comes through (ahem, iPhone), but the Droid does not handle running multiple apps well. It runs too many, chugs along, freezes up, and then randomly reboots. "


      There are thousands of the same complaints , look it up. It made me laugh quite hard.

      I've never had any major issues when messing around with friends Android phones. Also, please don't link to blogs by random people to use in your argument, they don't carry any weight.


      6) Quote:
      Code:
      "I certainly hope the iPhone would be ahead in such a comparison or else there'd be no point in releasing a phone that's already behind it's competition right out of the gate."
      Thats why its the best selling smartphone in the whole world. Right. Did the droid sell as much in the first week, or the first month as the iPhone did? No. Look here

      Code:
      http://obamapacman.com/2010/02/nexus-one-sales-fail-comparing-iphone-droid-n1-first-month-demand/
      What are you trying to refute here?

      iPhone has BEST features, it has EVERYthing you need in a small package in their OWN design, their OWN OS, their OWN original software. Look at droid,nexus,evo, they all survive on the fact that iPhone comes out, they look at iPhone's design and think their phone can become the next "iphone/ipod killer." Which in fact is impossible, since every iPhone release, leaves every other phone in the dust. Look at the iPad, everyone said it fails, yet it sold 2x more than iPhone did first month, and every other competitor is no where else to be seen.
      I'm quite confident those phones would be suriving quite alright if the iphone never came out.

      Quote:
      Code:
      "that's already behind it's competition right out of the gate"
      Don't make me laugh, since all the competition is a rip off version of the iPhone. Oh, and one more thing, iPhone has been the first and only best smart phone ever released before any of these other **** phones that have started coming out, what do you mean its already behind?
      Reading comprehension helps.

      7) Quote:
      Code:
      "Did you just try and google for the worst android photo that you could find? Here's some shots of the Droids screen, I don't see how you can complain about it's quality."
      Quality? Still looks like any other app design in any other phone. Default, and crappy. What iPhone did was have their OWN unique design. I don't even know how you can stand looking at those icons and say it looks fine. It looks like any Windows phone hahahha.
      What is so unique about rows and colums of squares? Not sure I see the uniqueness in that. Looks quite boring to me.

      8) Quote:
      Code:
      "Your mentioning of jailbreaking coming into play as supporting your argument is rather pointless. There is no need to jailbreak something that is not locked up and restricted by it's programmers in the first place."
      -I laughed at this even harder. Only reason you HAVE or WANT to jailbreak is to get FREE APPS. Understand? That is the #1 reason why people "JAILBREAK." Other reasons is to either customize or enhance the phones performance. By enhance, I mean kill the phone in a long term use.
      -Why do you think Apple does not allow jailbreaking? If jailbreaking only consisted of the feature of getting free apps, long term use of the phone would be fine, but using apps which clear ram/memory while using your phone or itouch, kills its later on.
      - What do you mean "no need to jailbreak something which is locked up and restricted?" What is exactly restricted? Apple is the only one restricting applications which use too much of the iPhone or itouchs memory/ram, and which pose a battery or a overall threat to the iDevice you are using. Thats why cydia was made, to still let users get the applications they want, to either customize, get free apps, or enhancing the phone.
      Free apps is probably the last reason I would use for jailbreaking my phone. I've spent much more money on apps and themes in Cydia that I ever have in iTunes. Apple restricts for things way beyond just security issues. Go read up on Google Voice for the iPhone.

      - But I still think the life of the device you are using, matters on the person. I've had a jailbroken itouch and iphone for almost 1.5 years + and nothing has gone wrong.
      So you first go and say how bad jailbreaking is for a persons phone and then state that you've been using a jailbroken phone for over a year and a half without any problems? Do you see the nonsense I'm talking about?

      -On your chart it has 2 things wrong, iPhone DOES have multitasking in new OS, "WHICH IS ALREADY OUT" as a beta, so its not technically anything "planned for the future" if you can already use pretty much every feature in the OS. And its multitasking is the best.
      For one thing Beta does not equal Release. As far as the multitasking in the beta goes, you can not use it yet. None of the appstore apps have any of the new APIs in use for multitasking. All you have right now is basically a quicklinks list.

      - I laugh at the fact that it says the google navigation is better than MobileMe. Its laughable. Apparently they don't know how easy and accurate MobileMe is, ohwell.
      You mean Google Apps not Navigation. Google Apps is also free and offers just even more capabilities (beyond the iphone tracking) than the $99/year MobileMe.

      You obviously don't have any idea what iPhone is capable of. And don't realize that the phones you are defending at ripped off. I could have understand if droid came out before the iPhone and was original, but coming out after the latest iphone 3Gs (4G not out yet so) and taking or "attempting" to make all the hardware specs better and adding a keyboard. Such a joke. I don't even know how many times i've said "ripped off" in this thread, but apparently no one gets the meaning of that phrase. I know I am right, the world knows Im right, the stocks say Im right, 4 out of 1 people say Im right, but you say Im wrong. Umm.
      Thats like saying every one uses a zune or something LOLLLLL. Every one the whole world pretty much uses an iPod. Its like the most common word that goes around, like using google as a search engine "I google it."
      Why the hell would the iPod or iPhone be so popular if it has crappy specs, crappy OS? You make no sense what so ever. I am done arguing.
      How does the stock say that you are right? Google's stock seems to be doing very well too.

      I never said the iPhone OS was bad. I've merely tried to point out that the Android OS is a very qualified competitor to it and is easily on the same level in terms of quality.



      Note: Your little joke about justin beiber, was quite irrelevant. Not to mention he's a horrible music artist who does not even know what a "German" is -
      Code:
      http://new.music.yahoo.com/blogs/stopthepresses/185499/justin-bieber-ridiculed-for-german-mistake/
      I'm glad to see you follow his news. I guess I was right.
    1. eZStaR's Avatar
      eZStaR -
      Quote Originally Posted by leonpeeon View Post
      Far from it.
      I have an aging 1st gen iPhone. It's the first (and only) Apple product I've ever owned. And I love it, and converted some of my friends to it.
      But I think that ever since Apple showed everyone how a mobile phone should be, other companies took heed, and started making really good devices.
      Whether or not the UI looks like Apple's is beside the point. The question is, how well things work and what options are given to you.
      And the fact that Apple sues isn't an issue, either. If you follow their recent business attitude, they pretty much wanna kill or buy (or both) the competition.

      I don't know what you mean "they started making really good devices."
      When the competition is only copying the designs and adding "better" hardware, doesn't make the phone better. Look at Palm Pre, WebOS, such a huge rip off of iPhone its not even funny, look at nexus look at droid. They are not "better" in anyway since droid fails at taking pictures even with a larger MP camera, nexus fails at 3d rendering even with having a 1Ghz snap dragon processor against the iPhone, the palm can't do much except have the usual features and etc (why do you think they got sold out? HP bought them, they weren't doing much, and knew the competition killed them)
      To be perfectly honest, there is "no" better phone out there. I would consider a better phone whom have made their own software, own OS, own designs.






      Quote Originally Posted by paganizonda83 View Post
      Quote : "Wait until the lawsuit has ended before trying to use it as evidence that they "ripped off" Apple.
      "

      What's the point, everyone knows they ripped off.



      Quote : "No, that chart compares the iphone 3.0 OS to an outdated Android OS. 1.5 (Cupcake) was already out by the release of the 3.0 os. On a personal note, I can't stand the majority of the iPhones GUI. Way too bland and boring for my taste."

      I meant that iPhone GUI was already amazing when it first came out, look at the old version of Android, looks horrible.
      And your saying you don't like the different look of a phone aka iPhone, but like the same weird icons EVERY single phone has with the same setup? Amazing lol.


      Quote : "The comparison i linked to was between the top models of each OS. Both phones were on the market at that time whereas you used the most recent iPhone OS and compared it to an outdated Android OS."

      Top models doesn't count when a phone comes out after the iPhone adding newer hardware, and trying to make the phone better than it originally is. Even though the "better" hardware didn't help droid at all.


      Quote : "Your point?"

      My Point, your using a iPhone and still talking smack about it. Do you hard a droid? Any android phone?


      Quote : "I've never had any major issues when messing around with friends Android phones. Also, please don't link to blogs by random people to use in your argument, they don't carry any weight."

      1) You saying that does not "carry" weight, when its a official fact that the droid has multitasking problems and is posted all over the internet

      2) "Don't" link to any blogs? Sorry I like to provide proof to the things I say.


      Quote : "What are you trying to refute here?"

      Trying to "refute," that iPhones are more popular than all the ripped off competition. Yet your making such a big deal "ohh android is better in every way, but aww sells less than iPhone. I wonder why?"

      Quote : "I'm quite confident those phones would be suriving quite alright if the iphone never came out."

      Im quite sure those phones wouldn't have even been conceptualized if the iPhone wasn't released, hence people trying to "kill" the iPhone. Several major phone makers have confirmed that they are indeed trying to take down the iPhone. So I don't even know what you mean by that.



      Quote : "Reading comprehension helps."

      Thinking about what you said, helps. Or reading the facts I said would help as well. Reasoning wouldn't be a bad idea either.



      Quote : "What is so unique about rows and colums of squares? Not sure I see the uniqueness in that. Looks quite boring to me."


      What's so unique about every single phone out there having the same exact icons and setups and features?



      Quote : "Free apps is probably the last reason I would use for jailbreaking my phone. I've spent much more money on apps and themes in Cydia that I ever have in iTunes. Apple restricts for things way beyond just security issues. Go read up on Google Voice for the iPhone."


      Thats your problem, some people are gamers, some people just care about customizing and enhancing their phone. And FYI there are respitories which release cracked versions of cydia apps.
      As for Google voice, have you ever thought about Apple maybe adding their own feature in the future? So they don't want a app like it?


      Quote : "So you first go and say how bad jailbreaking is for a persons phone and then state that you've been using a jailbroken phone for over a year and a half without any problems? Do you see the nonsense I'm talking about?"

      You realize some people play games or customize or just jailbreak for apps? Guess what I do? I just get apps. I have over 100 apps on my itouch and iphone 16 GB, but I have nothing customized or used enhancing apps on either one of my devices. Probably used winterboard once on both devices to see how it looks. I don't think you read my post clearly, I specifically said some people do either or. Thats why my iphone and itouch are in perfect condition.



      Quote : "For one thing Beta does not equal Release. As far as the multitasking in the beta goes, you can not use it yet. None of the appstore apps have any of the new APIs in use for multitasking. All you have right now is basically a quicklinks list."

      What are you talking about? Developers have posted MANY videos on youtube showing you how multitasking works. They have even showed you with certain games! I don't know what you are saying. You might want to look these things up before making false accusations.



      Quote : "You mean Google Apps not Navigation. Google Apps is also free and offers just even more capabilities (beyond the iphone tracking) than the $99/year MobileMe."

      Your chart was point out GPS. = Aka Tracking/GPS. iphone has specific tracking which is mobileme (only for tracking)
      Who cares about Google apps? Why would have a need for it on a iphone, when there are thousands of "somewhat similar" apps out there.


      Quote : "How does the stock say that you are right? Google's stock seems to be doing very well too.

      I never said the iPhone OS was bad. I've merely tried to point out that the Android OS is a very qualified competitor to it and is easily on the same level in terms of quality."


      Stock, I was talking about APPLES stock, they have increased how much, and how fast? Did googles increase as fast? You look and find out.

      Android, bottom line sucks, and would not even be worthy to qualify against the iPhone OS. Thats like saying the Blackberry's storm phone's OS is just as good, lol. And my point was, Apple actually made their own OS, google merely just made one and distributed to several phone makers. What ever happened to make your phone, own design, own software, own OS? And the iPhone OS offers more than pretty much any other OS out there.


      Quote : "I'm glad to see you follow his news. I guess I was right."

      How were you right? If I look at yahoo news every day and simply see such a embarrassing thing, it must mean I listen to his music, and worship him apparently.
      I personally don't see any point of anything you just posted, I just simply countered to whatever you just said. None of it was facts or anything of importance.
    1. cpkirkley's Avatar
      cpkirkley -
      Quote Originally Posted by politicalslug View Post
      " Originally Posted by cpkirkley

      @EZStar - there is absolutely NOTHING in common between the SenseUI and Apple OS. The idea for gridded program icons is as old as computing itself.

      Secondly, re-evaluate your qualifications for a crappy OS. It took Apple 2 years to implement A2DP, 3 years to implement Copy and Paste, and Year 4 introduces multitasking. All of which was available of Symbian, Palm, UIQ, WinCE.... Do I need to repeat that? As a whole, iPhone OS is not a bad system at all, but to put it on a pedestal like its light years ahead of the competition is naive. Without a major refresh, The iPhones OS is now dated, stale, and boring. Oh wait, not anymore, I forgot you can set your own background without Jailbreaking. Welcome to 2003, Cupertino."



      Total nonsense. And you write horribly. You're counting features and not usability. And you can't even count very well. Day 1 introduced iPhoneOS (2007). A year later A2DP (2008). Two years later copy and paste (2009). And now three years later multitasking (2010). Call me crazy but that's three years, not four. And the worst part is people like you don't have a clue why my APPL stock has shot up over something like 40% this year alone. They really do make the best product out there. It's totally limited in ways that only a geek (and we're all geeks if we're on this forum) could appreciate. We all Jailbreak so none of this affects us. My mom can use an iPhone but still can't turn on the DVD player. Tell me that's not progress? When you can make something as complicated and capable as a smartphone so easy to use ANYONE can pick it up and dive in, you've created something amazing. The market speaks for itself. Not once did any of the companies you've listed give real consideration to the interface. They kept on adding on junk. FM radio here, extra ram there, more speed on top of it all. If the masses can't figure the damn thing out it's worthless. It's just that simple. If you want constant feature updates buy an Android phone. And good luck keeping the software up-to-date if you buy one with a custom user interface (ie Sense, Blur, etc.)

      One who complains about one's writing style should know that one should NEVER use the word AND to start a sentence. Secondly, the iPhone OS, stale and dated as it is, still requires a learing curve. A monkey can use a phone for several hours and learn how to use it. That point is useless. A DVD player has no visual feedback on its remote control, so its natural that anyone who isnt technically inclined could have a bit of problems with it.

      I never said anything about apple not making a good product (except for two $2500 17 inch Macbook Pro's with non heat related GPU problems that I'll leave out of this one). And no matter how easy to use, the fact that such things were left out when so many of the other phones that Apple was trying to pull users from had included them would leave most scratching their heads. That said, I understand its a business decision that worked out for them from a profitability standpoint, but nonetheless the point deserves to be made that it took THREE (my deepest apologies ) years to implement basic features that the competitors made available so long ago that they don't even make onto a bullet point list of features. These aren't frivolous requests like OGG/FLAC support or Hard Disk mode, they were issues essential to having a smartphone that is actually deserving of the name. Furthermore, the need to jailbreak to do things that should have been common sense was, is, and always will be, unacceptable. A "usable" phone is only usable when it actually has the features I am looking for. When I bought my 3g, I had to sell my Bluetooth stereo headset and go back to wired headset. Apple's headphones blow. Then I couldn't copy the link of a website and paste it to a friend in an email. Seriously? 2 years? Like, seriously?

      And so you arent given the wrong idea, switched from a AT&T Kaiser to a 3g, then a 3G s, and most recently back to a WM HD2. I've been on both sides of the fence, and am trying to be as neutral as possible.
    1. mortopher's Avatar
      mortopher -
      I'm done discussing this with you ezstar if for no other reason than your utter inability to quote posts properly. Trying to sift through your replies is not worth my time.
    1. eZStaR's Avatar
      eZStaR -
      To paganizonda83:
      I didn't "quote" correctly because I was tired of explaining everything to you in great detail 2 times. "Inability" I can say same for you for not even understand what I said, and having me to repeat pretty much everything I say to your false accusations for everything.


      Quote Originally Posted by KartRacer View Post
      Looks like eZstar has formed an OPINION on which is best. An OPINION. A grid of 16 icons isn't anything compared to the SenseUI and hence YOU HAVE TO JAILBREAK TO MAKE IT LOOK HALF DECENT. Android doesn't have this problem, AND you don't have to jump through hoops and be considered a criminal by the manufacturer when you do modify it. I think the Apple OS is better, but the features they have were AT LEAST 3 years behind. Sure thye are great now, but they should have been there from the beginning.

      I like the Apple OS, the interface is absolute garbage stock, Android is not. Ezstar, you need to take a deep breath and look at this with some objectivity and not a massive amount of irrational thinking and bias. You're making the argument we are all wrong and you're right based on your opinion about looks. 200k apps is not a point you can use as fact when in fact 90% are utter garbage. You need to calm down and loose most of your bias. You're comparing OS4, which isn't out yet and has copied EVERY feature it has from US JAILBREAKERS, to an OS that is completely open compared to the iPhone OS. Don't want Apples lame *** grid screen with NO customization? Or do you want something that can be easily modified and you don't get treated as if you have leprosy or are a criminal by the manufacturer.

      Calm down dude. We get you have a biased opinion, great. Let the dude install Android if he wants, no skin off your teeth.

      Besides, have you been instrumental in the iPhone being jailbroken? Didn't think so.



      Okay, sorry for the harshness. I would do it if my stupid 2G would be recognized by my MBP, and I would do it just to be different. Running Android on an iPhone is definitely different and as shallow as it sounds it would be cool to have the only iPhone running Android out of the 8 people I've gotten to buy an iPhone.

      1) Android UI looks horrid
      You cannot customize it

      2) iPhone os looks better in everyway, a "grid of 16" looks better than some crappy setup of icons which you see in a everyday phone, i've repeated that 10100101 times.
      "YOU HAVE TO JAILBREAK TO MAKE IT LOOK HALF DECENT."
      Ugh, even though you don't know what your saying, Im not going to say anything further. Just read what I said in my main post and realize what's going on.

      3) "Android doesn't have this problem, AND you don't have to jump through hoops and be considered a criminal by the manufacturer when you do modify it. "

      Android YOU CANNOT customize it. Only change wallpaper or move around icons. Lmao.
      Jailbreaking isn't even considered so much illegal, as if you were downloading cracked apps.

      4) "I think the Apple OS is better, but the features they have were AT LEAST 3 years behind. Sure thye are great now, but they should have been there from the beginning."

      3 years behind...? They were the first and original makers of the OS, and released their "Own" designs. Unlike Android. iPhone OS when first came out, provided more than any other OS, and still does.

      5) "I like the Apple OS, the interface is absolute garbage stock, Android is not."

      Android is not? I've explained over 20 times why it is and always will be. It is not even nearly as customizable as the iPhone OS, god, its like Im repeating my self continuously.


      6) "you need to take a deep breath and look at this with some objectivity and not a massive amount of irrational thinking and bias."

      Irrational thinking? SO apparently using facts is =irrational thinking and bias.

      Android OS looks of EVERY day phone and features of one too. What is the big deal, wow.


      7) "200k apps is not a point you can use as fact when in fact 90% are utter garbage."

      If 90% were utter garbage, they wouldn't be mass selling. Understand? Over 1-1.5 billion apps have been sold out of those 200K, so no they are not "90% utter garbage."

      8) "You're comparing OS4, which isn't out yet and has copied EVERY feature it has from US JAILBREAKERS, to an OS that is completely open compared to the iPhone OS."

      Copied from jailbreakers? They had been working on multitasking over a year straight to figure out the perfect way for the iPhone not to lose any battery while doing several things at once. The design of the multitasking dock isn't even made by any jailbreaker or even close.
      - They finally took a suggestion from the people and added the feature to allow users to change the black background

      What did they copy from the jailbreakers exactly? ..... Get your facts right please.

      9) "Don't want Apples lame *** grid screen with NO customization? Or do you want something that can be easily modified and you don't get treated as if you have leprosy or are a criminal by the manufacturer."

      ...... Using the grid system on the iPhone, it allows you to see more apps on a screen while having a nice slight to it,while the Android with the "also" non customizable looks, it just straight up looks ugly and can only allow you to put like 10 or less apps on one page. Why would you be concidered a criminal? Do you go around telling Apple "HEY I JAILBROKE MY ITOUCH, I GOT CRACKED APPS AND EVERYTHING." No.

      Everything you said was false with no meaning what so ever. None of your facts were correct except the iPhone OS right now without OS4 is not customizable unless you jailbreak. But jailbreaking only takes 2 seconds literally using spirit jailbreak or blackra1n or something.
    1. Happy Noodle Boy's Avatar
      Happy Noodle Boy -
      Android as an OS is sexy as hell and even a true Apple fan has the ability to recognize.

      The one, and I really mean one, BIG flaw Android has is hardware fragmentation. It's not even a flaw, more like its Achilles' heel. Apple has always played it safe in this department. They make the hardware and the software and they excel at it. They don't have to worry about hardware specs since they themselves make those specs. Android on the other hand it taken a more universal approach kinda like Windows if you want a computer analogy. It runs on anything (as proven by this very news article). They've shaped Android to run as an OS for tablets, the possibilities with it are a lot more than iPhone OS.

      That said, what Apple/iPhone OS lack in reach they make up with functionality. Haters gonna hate, but it just works. A lot of people give Apple flack for lack of "features". MMS, video, basically everything you people complain about. The thing is, this is SMART DESIGN. I forget the name of the book, but it's an amazing look into the world of design and the basic mantra of every really successful product is to never, ever, EVER start big.

      You take an idea. Now cut it in half. Keep the essential. Now look at that, cut that in half again. Keep only the essence of what you want your product to be. Now focus only on that. Release it and make it your foundation. Now you have a consumer base with a product that while it may not do it all, what it does it does really well.

      Now add to it. Slowly. You're not doing it to nickle and dime people. You do this because you care. Add too much and the thing collapses.

      Apple has this design mantra down to an art and it really shows. Even back with the iPod you can see the slow but steady progress from a very basic mp3 player to the monster it is today.

      It's why phones like the droid or every other "iPhone killer" fail. They try to beat Apple by doing it all at the same time and it kinda falls apart on its own. They're not bad phones, but they never seem to hit that amazing plateau and their sales show this.
    1. lv_vl's Avatar
      lv_vl -
      Quote Originally Posted by eZStaR View Post
      1) Did you just say being sued by Apple does not mean anything? Oh right, being sued for ripping another persons designs/data/ absolutely means nothing, and later defending the ripped off device. Right, your right, LOL.
      eZStar, I'll try to follow your logic here (if there is any) and let you read this:
      Nokia Sues Apple Over Technology Used in IPhone, IPad (Update5) - BusinessWeek

      Please, explain what does it mean to you? Who is ripping whose designs/data here?

      Also, try to stick your head outside Apple (and U.S.) bubble and look at some world statistics:


      On the same note, look at one of the most popular mobile phone websites for some real world statistics by interest/hits/votes/brands/models:
      Statistics - GSMArena.com

      Where is Apple with its iPhone? Oh, yes, here is 3G model, number 12 under Interest category.

      p.s. FYI, I've tested iPhone 3G and Nokia E51 Wi-Fi in the house. Guess what? iPhone does not even pick up a Wi-Fi signal from a router downstairs, while E51 (being in the exact same spot) shows 2 out of 3 bars + picks up a couple of other wi-fi signals from neighbors' houses. C'mon, we are talking about an outdated basic smartphone that was released more than half a year before 3G.
    1. mitchell209's Avatar
      mitchell209 -
      Exactly. I get tired of seeing everybody complaining about the iPhone's lack of features and other bull crap about how that other phone is better than the iPhone because it does more.

      Everybody just forgets about that other phone after a few months.
    1. cpkirkley's Avatar
      cpkirkley -
      +1 for Happy Noodle Boy, +12 for lv_vl
      Although I disagree with the add to it slowly part. In some areas, that makes sense. But the essential features that are EXPECTED on a smartphone platform were blatantly missing. We should not have to wait for a model refresh for copy and paste. I can dig waiting for a camera flash, or even the multitasking issue. But who tested this thing and said copy and paste function is not essential?
    1. eZStaR's Avatar
      eZStaR -
      Quote Originally Posted by lv_vl View Post
      eZStar, I'll try to follow your logic here (if there is any) and let you read this:
      Nokia Sues Apple Over Technology Used in IPhone, IPad (Update5) - BusinessWeek

      Please, explain what does it mean to you? Who is ripping whose designs/data here?

      Also, try to stick your head outside Apple (and U.S.) bubble and look at some world statistics:


      On the same note, look at one of the most popular mobile phone websites for some real world statistics by interest/hits/votes/brands/models:
      Statistics - GSMArena.com

      Where is Apple with its iPhone? Oh, yes, here is 3G model, number 12 under Interest category.
      What's your point? Are you saying Symbian is better than iPhone OS? Just because that shows how much that OS is used on the crappy phones, doesn't mean its better.

      - "The five patents in the newest complaint relate to enhanced speech and data transmission, and antenna configurations that improve performance and save space"

      Oh you mean like every tablet out there? HP Slate? Right, that is the stupidest lawsuit ever. "Enhance speech and data transmission" are they that stupid? "Improve performance." LOL
      So if any company in the future lets say 50 years from now develop some advance wifi or 3G or even like 6G or something at that point, no one will be able to develop a better antenna config because nokia will file a dumb lawsuit on them. Maybe just stop the world from technologically advancing while your at it Nokia.
    1. Cer0's Avatar
      Cer0 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Happy Noodle Boy View Post
      Android as an OS is sexy as hell and even a true Apple fan has the ability to recognize.

      The one, and I really mean one, BIG flaw Android has is hardware fragmentation. It's not even a flaw, more like its Achilles' heel. Apple has always played it safe in this department. They make the hardware and the software and they excel at it. They don't have to worry about hardware specs since they themselves make those specs. Android on the other hand it taken a more universal approach kinda like Windows if you want a computer analogy. It runs on anything (as proven by this very news article). They've shaped Android to run as an OS for tablets, the possibilities with it are a lot more than iPhone OS.

      That said, what Apple/iPhone OS lack in reach they make up with functionality. Haters gonna hate, but it just works. A lot of people give Apple flack for lack of "features". MMS, video, basically everything you people complain about. The thing is, this is SMART DESIGN. I forget the name of the book, but it's an amazing look into the world of design and the basic mantra of every really successful product is to never, ever, EVER start big.

      You take an idea. Now cut it in half. Keep the essential. Now look at that, cut that in half again. Keep only the essence of what you want your product to be. Now focus only on that. Release it and make it your foundation. Now you have a consumer base with a product that while it may not do it all, what it does it does really well.

      Now add to it. Slowly. You're not doing it to nickle and dime people. You do this because you care. Add too much and the thing collapses.

      Apple has this design mantra down to an art and it really shows. Even back with the iPod you can see the slow but steady progress from a very basic mp3 player to the monster it is today.

      It's why phones like the droid or every other "iPhone killer" fail. They try to beat Apple by doing it all at the same time and it kinda falls apart on its own. They're not bad phones, but they never seem to hit that amazing plateau and their sales show this.


      BAM!!!!! that comment. Well said my fellow staffer, well said indeed.
    1. lv_vl's Avatar
      lv_vl -
      Quote Originally Posted by eZStaR View Post
      What's your point? Are you saying Symbian is better than iPhone OS?
      No, I am not saying who is better here. This is just to show you how narrow minded and apple-focused you are. According to you, when Apple is suing someone, it is a big deal and it means somebody has stolen technology from Apple and it is bad. But when somebody is suing Apple for using/stealing their technology/innovations, it means nothing to you.

      No need to spend any more time commenting your posts.
    1. cpkirkley's Avatar
      cpkirkley -
      EZstar, you're missing the point. Apple did not develop the cellular technology it uses for its phone. The GSM standard was created by NOKIA. The patent on its use/implementation belongs to nokia solely. Therefore any company that plans to create a phone on the GSM standard (which means ALL of them, lol) has to pay a licensing royalty to Nokia for incorporating Nokia's patented technology in their devices. Nokia is suing Apple because Apple is using the GSM technology with paying the licensing fee.

      Why are people having such issues with the fact that Apple was caught with its pants down? If they had just done this at the beginning of the product cycle, like ALL the other phone manufacturers do, they wouldnt be dealing with this now.
    1. Keybrdude's Avatar
      Keybrdude -
      Yah know...there's nothing to get, there's nothing to argue about. Well nothing amounts to a hill of beans. I love jailbroken iPhone. If Mr. Wong and the other devs can make the android os fully functional on the iPhone, that is amazing and fantastic and I will definitely try it. If I like it I will keep it, if not, then I will remove it. However, I think what Mr. Wong is doing is amazing! Please keep up the good work!
    1. Dman45's Avatar
      Dman45 -
      Despite much arguement throughout this thread

      Has anyone been informed of the release date of this OS?
    1. mitchell209's Avatar
      mitchell209 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Dman45 View Post
      Despite much arguement throughout this thread

      Has anyone been informed of the release date of this OS?
      Nobody can be certain, but it should be a few days for the 3G.
    1. Dman45's Avatar
      Dman45 -
      Quote Originally Posted by mitchell209 View Post
      Nobody can be certain, but it should be a few days for the 3G.
      well then I guess I will be glued to my computer screen till then
    1. cadsii's Avatar
      cadsii -
      me 2
    1. SnowLeo's Avatar
      SnowLeo -
      If I follow the same instructions for 3g using my ipod touch is there a possibility it will work? I have an extra 1st gen ipod touch that I never use and Id be willing to try this out as long as it doesnt permanately screw it up (meaning a restore wont fix it)