Last week we talked about iPhone OS 4.0 on the verge of release. Today we talked the possibility of iPhone OS 4.0 being announced next week at the godly Apple event along with the supposed tablet mac. Today we get word from Boy Genius about some leaked iPhone OS 4.0 features, the most promising, in my mind, is the ability to multitask. BG also claims that features may include multi-touch support OS-wide, UI changes, and some new contact and calendar sync options.
- There will be multi-touch gestures OS-wide. (Would make sense for that as the rumored OS for the iTablet is close if not the same as the iPhone)
- “A few new ways” to run applications in the background — multitasking.
- Many graphical and UI changes to make navigating through the OS easier and more efficient. We haven’t had this broken down, but we can only hope for improved notifications, a refreshed homescreen, etc.
- The update will supposedly be available for only the iPhone 3G and 3GS, but will “put them ahead in the smartphone market because it will make them more like full-fledged computers” more than any other phone to date. Everyone is “really excited.”
- The last piece of information is the most vague, but apparently there will be some brand new syncing ability for the contacts and calendar applications.
However, I will also admit, that it's sad seeing some of these updates come to the iPhone after all the work that developers have put in to bring these features to use before Apple could wrap their head around it. As with the 3.0 update, I can see many apps being obsolete due to new features.
It's been rumored that iPhone OS 4.0 would also be what they use to run the tablet, but dear god, I hope that's not the case. I might have to cry a little bit. I for one, don't want a super-sized iPhone.
Of course, with the trends Apple has recently been following, Boy Genius says that the update won't be available to first generation users. This I can believe as Apple seems to have finally stopped committing to supporting all their products. Nonetheless, I for one am excited for next week. How about you?
[Source & Image: BoyGenius]