Apple Touts Big First Day for Mac App Store
Apple released a statement to the press bright and early Friday morning to let the entire world know what it likely had already assumed - namely, that the new Mac App Store
is an instant hit with Mac users. Adding credence to that assumption, however, is cold hard data, which indicates that the new App Store's first day of business was gangbusters.
According to Apple, the Mac App Store, which is available for Snow Leopard users through Software Update as part of Mac OS® X v10.6.6
, recorded better than one million app downloads in the first day of its existence. At present, the store only boasts about 1,000 free and paid apps. Like Apple's other app stores, the new digital download destination makes it easy to find applications optimized for Macs, enabling users to buy them through their iTunes account.
"We’re amazed at the incredible response the Mac App Store is getting," Apple Chief Executive Steve Jobs said. "Developers have done a great job bringing apps to the store and users are loving how easy and fun the Mac App Store is." Mac developers, of course, are loving the success too. Similar to Apple's deal with iOS devs, Mac app developers determine their own price for apps and keep 70% of the sales revenue. Apple retains the remaining 30% and eats the hosting, marketing and credit card fees.