• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • All Beatles Songs Now on iTunes


    As has been rumored for the past 24 hours, Apple today announced that they had obtained rights to the Beatles' music catalog on the iTunes Store. Apple has had a teaser on their home page since early yesterday with the legend "Tomorrow is just another day. That you'll never forget." Eyebrows were raised by the apparent reference to "Another Day," a Paul McCartney song from his solo record "Ram" that was written during the Beatles' "Let it Be" sessions. Other hopeful rumors - such as the long-awaited streaming iTunes or all-you-can-eat music subscriptions - didn't pan out.

    Steve Jobs had been trying to make a deal with the Beatles' corporate entity Apple Corps Ltd. many times before, but negotiations have always broken down. The two sides have been suing back and forth since way back in 1978, when the Beatles alleged that Apple Computer infringed the band's trademark in the name and logo of Apple Corps. Apple settled in 1981 for an undisclosed amount, and agreed they wouldn't compete in the music business. However, in 1989 Apple Corps sued again, claiming that the music production capabilities of Macs violated the deal, and again in 2003 over the iTunes Store. Finally, Apple just bought up all the trademarks in question and licensed them back to Apple Corps.

    The Beatles are still huge sellers forty-plus years after breaking up. They have sold more than 177 million albums in the US alone, according to the Recording Industry Association of America. Songs from all 13 albums are now available on the iTunes Store, along with a box set for $149.
    This article was originally published in forum thread: All Beatles Songs Now on iTunes started by Paul Daniel Ash View original post
    Comments 171 Comments
    1. StealthBravo's Avatar
      StealthBravo -
      Quote Originally Posted by Amraam View Post
      Big deal, what an over hyped waste of time. It's like Apple are trying to unveil them to the world!
      A splash screen for 24 hours is over hyped?
    1. CynicalDriver's Avatar
      CynicalDriver -
      Quote Originally Posted by StealthBravo View Post
      A splash screen for 24 hours is over hyped?
      He's been drinkin' the kool-aide too long.
    1. Zokunei's Avatar
      Zokunei -
      Quote Originally Posted by mortopher View Post
      The two of you do understand that music piracy (not software, that's an entirely different topic) is one of the most overblown and fictitious problems that exists today, right?
      I suppose that is true, considering the music artists that get ripped off are always the wealthiest ones. Thanks for opening my mind to that. I just still don't get why people think it's ok to steal $15,000 worth of music and not look back. I used to pirate music until a few months ago though.
    1. Aliquippakid's Avatar
      Aliquippakid -
      Peh... Disappointing. Great news or beatles fans tho
    1. Krazyfool88's Avatar
      Krazyfool88 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Zokunei View Post
      I suppose that is true, considering the music artists that get ripped off are always the wealthiest ones. Thanks for opening my mind to that. I just still don't get why people think it's ok to steal $15,000 worth of music and not look back. I used to pirate music until a few months ago though.
    1. jius's Avatar
      jius -
      What a waste of publicity! The Beatles for crying out loud - nothing the whole planet have not already heard of already! Apple needs to get out more!
    1. Zokunei's Avatar
      Zokunei -
      Quote Originally Posted by Krazyfool88 View Post
      Lemme eshplain. Someone produces something. They have every right to it. They decide to only share it with others for a price. Someone takes it without paying that price. They violate that person's inherent right to what they make. Think. Nothing morally sound can cause problems when everyone does it. This is a condition of a morally sound act. If everyone committed the act of piracy, noone would be able to make money digitally. Since we live in a digital age, music and software and such are easily convertible to a digital file that can be distributed through file sharing sites all over the internet. Programmers and musicians would no longer be able to make money through their talents. Is this morally acceptable? Piracy is as bad as theft, if not worse. This is why I stopped pirating files. I used to pirate everything. Now I don't. I actually believed piracy was ok for the same reason you do.
      I'm sorry this had to turn into an anti-piracy preach fest, guys. Not that it was anything other than a bunch of people whining anyway.
    1. jose060789's Avatar
      jose060789 -
      I'm sadly disappointed, I thought Apple was going unveil 4.2


      Sent from my iPhone 4 using ModMyi
    1. linkisbest's Avatar
      linkisbest -
      Quote Originally Posted by Zokunei View Post
      Well they are the only digital music source to have licenses to sell Beatles music.
      ''License'' is a big word. They pretty much sued them until they had no choice.
    1. MikePA's Avatar
      MikePA -
      This was a day we would not forget? Puhleeze.
    1. Zokunei's Avatar
      Zokunei -
      Quote Originally Posted by linkisbest View Post
      ''License'' is a big word. They pretty much sued them until they had no choice.
      Lol, that's true
    1. mortopher's Avatar
      mortopher -
      Quote Originally Posted by Zokunei View Post
      I suppose that is true, considering the music artists that get ripped off are always the wealthiest ones. Thanks for opening my mind to that. I just still don't get why people think it's ok to steal $15,000 worth of music and not look back. I used to pirate music until a few months ago though.
      Pirate music all day long. Mixtapes are a form of piracy and they've been around for ages; same principle, smaller scale.

      They're more than welcome to tour as much as they possibly want. I'll gladly pay top dollar to see a great band live. In the past year i've probably spent $800 at the least on tickets, souvenirs, etc. for live shows, and aside from Blues Traveler (had their CDs for years), all of the bands I saw were ones I grew a liking to through downloading a torrent of their album(s). I still purchase albums of newer groups that I enjoy to support them.

      $13 for a 256kbps(?) digital version when a CD with much better quality is a dollar more? Get real. Apple could at least offer FLAC files for the LP...

      Regardless of the compression, I'm to pay the same price today that it cost 15 years ago? Technology has come a long way and it doesn't cost near as much to produce an album as it once did (yes I'm including studio time and everything in that cost too). Hell, this week we had an article on here about the new Gorillaz album being made on the freaking iPad.

      Two of the band members are dead and the other two are still making an damn fortune touring (Paul's short list of 10 concerts still grossed $33 million last year). Not to mention Yoko already has enough apartments in the Dakota.

      Who in the music industry suffers from filesharing? The untalented corporate pigs. The artists are doing just as fine and a number of them are perfectly fine with with music piracy.
    1. Zokunei's Avatar
      Zokunei -
      Quote Originally Posted by mortopher View Post
      Pirate music all day long. Mixtapes are a form of piracy and they've been around for ages; same principle, smaller scale.

      They're more than welcome to tour as much as they possibly want. I'll gladly pay top dollar to see a great band live. In the past year i've probably spent $800 at the least on tickets, souvenirs, etc. for live shows, and aside from Blues Traveler (had their CDs for years), all of the bands I saw were ones I grew a liking to through downloading a torrent of their album(s). I still purchase albums of newer groups that I enjoy to support them.

      $13 for a 256kbps(?) digital version when a CD with much better quality is a dollar more? Get real. Apple could at least offer FLAC files for the LP...

      Regardless of the compression, I'm to pay the same price today that it cost 15 years ago? Technology has come a long way and it doesn't cost near as much to produce an album as it once did (yes I'm including studio time and everything in that cost too). Hell, this week we had an article on here about the new Gorillaz album being made on the freaking iPad.

      Two of the band members are dead and the other two are still making an damn fortune touring (Paul's short list of 10 concerts still grossed $33 million last year). Not to mention Yoko already has enough apartments in the Dakota.

      Who in the music industry suffers from filesharing? The untalented corporate pigs. The artists are doing just as fine and a number of them are perfectly fine with with music piracy.
      I'm not arguing it's an issue for money's sake. I'm arguing that it's morally wrong to pirate your whole damn music library like that. I'm also not saying that the corporate world is perfect, or that the artists NEEDS everyone to not pirate their songs. I'm simply stating what I believe to be a condition of a moral act (what one can you think of that if everyone practiced it would cause problems?), and how I believe piracy violates that condition. You're not telling me you pirate all your songs, are you?
    1. mortopher's Avatar
      mortopher -
      Pirate all of them? Not at all. I've got a box of probably 200 cds in my closet. Most of those I've had for ages, but I still buy the occasional cd or two. I typically buy used ones at record stores.

      That being said, I'm not so sure problems would arrise from pirating music worldwide. Record companies would drastically reduce in size, more people would hear more new bands since there would no longer be a threat regarding filesharing, and there would be more opportunity for the cream to rise to the top rather than being force-fed garbage such as Lady Gaga.

      Radiohead released their In Rainbows album online with a "you name the price" policy that allowed customers to even choose $0.00 for the price and download the album for free. They ran that special for about two months and then still went on to sell 122k CDs in it's first week and debut at #1 on Billboard.

      All over the country restaurants are testing out the same concept with their menus. The patrons are simply asked to pay what they feel the meal was worth. So far the restaurants are averaging out close to what their old fixed prices would yield.

      File-sharing has a lot of misinformation surrounding it to try and scare people away. Hell, the term "piracy" itself has a negative and scary connotation to it.




      They sure got that one right
    1. ozzymonstar's Avatar
      ozzymonstar -
      Quote Originally Posted by CynicalDriver View Post
      Totally agree! It's sad that people actually schedule their sleep around an Apple announcement.



      Have fun in your liberal school, learning more ways to rip society off. Please find time to also learn that books don't teach you everything, and professors teach you what they want you to learn instead of what you should learn.

      A college education is a great thing, but most people use it for nothing other than how you just used it. Just because you have the intelligence to read a book and pass a test, or get drunk for a fraternity, doesn't mean that you are "smart."

      Mark Zukerberg is smart. He knew HOW to APPLY his knowledge.



      Not everyone is as closed minded as you. I'm 28, and I like the Beatles. Also, my grandfather knows his way around a computer better than my mom! It's not age, it's mentality.

      Having the Beatles on iTunes will open doors for other groups finally joining the ranks, like AC/DC.
      I'm happy for you and the other ten people like you, making a big thing over your bugs oh I mean beetles or whatever was a waist of time. But you enjoy. NOT
    1. Nickaroni22's Avatar
      Nickaroni22 -
      Wow! This is a bummer! Expected way more!
    1. justin7942163's Avatar
      justin7942163 -
      Well that was extremely disappointing.
    1. CynicalDriver's Avatar
      CynicalDriver -
      Quote Originally Posted by ozzymonstar View Post
      I'm happy for you and the other ten people like you, making a big thing over your bugs oh I mean beetles or whatever was a waist of time. But you enjoy. NOT
      Really, grow up. It was a splash-screen for 24 hours. No commercial, no live event, no blimps, just a graphic.

      People like you made it a big deal.. "ZOMG! I hope it's streaming 1337|\|3$$!!" or "Yippeee! 4.2!!"

      Really? Streaming hasn't happened yet because it's not as profitable as selling the songs individually. Also, there's NO WAY that 4.2 is as big a deal to Apple/Steve Jobs, as it is to you.

      Is it a day "I'll never forget?" Not by a long shot, but it is pretty big news anyway.

      You should know that the Beatles were responsible for the groundwork that made Michael Jackson, Madonna, Backstreet Girls, and pretty much every "pop" genre today even possible.
    1. Zokunei's Avatar
      Zokunei -
      Quote Originally Posted by mortopher View Post
      Pirate all of them? Not at all. I've got a box of probably 200 cds in my closet. Most of those I've had for ages, but I still buy the occasional cd or two. I typically buy used ones at record stores.

      That being said, I'm not so sure problems would arrise from pirating music worldwide. Record companies would drastically reduce in size, more people would hear more new bands since there would no longer be a threat regarding filesharing, and there would be more opportunity for the cream to rise to the top rather than being force-fed garbage such as Lady Gaga.

      Radiohead released their In Rainbows album online with a "you name the price" policy that allowed customers to even choose $0.00 for the price and download the album for free. They ran that special for about two months and then still went on to sell 122k CDs in it's first week and debut at #1 on Billboard.

      All over the country restaurants are testing out the same concept with their menus. The patrons are simply asked to pay what they feel the meal was worth. So far the restaurants are averaging out close to what their old fixed prices would yield.

      File-sharing has a lot of misinformation surrounding it to try and scare people away. Hell, the term "piracy" itself has a negative and scary connotation to it.




      They sure got that one right
      You're missing the point. Most bands DON'T release their music for "name the price". You're "Steal: v. To take without the owner's consent"ing from them with the system that is currently widely used. That's cool if they let you name the price, but almost no band does. Artists have an inherent right of ownership to their artwork. To take their art in a way that is not permitted by them is violating that right.
    1. billmilo's Avatar
      billmilo -
      I can honestly say that I couldn't care less about the Beatles. If I were to choose between a dollar or the best Beatles song, I'd always choose the dollar.