• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • Security Threat Reported in FaceTime for Mac Beta



    Yesterday morning in Cupertino, California, Steve Jobs introduced a sweeping list of updates and new products at the company's "Back to Mac" event. One of the most talked about revelations is the new FaceTime application for Mac OS X, which allows Mac users to engage in video chat conversations with one another, as well as users of the iPhone 4 and iPod touch. FaceTime functionality for Macs is now available via apple.com in a beta release. "I think people are going to like this based on the requests we've gotten," Jobs said.

    Well, that was yesterday. And while there are certainly many who are already enjoying the FaceTime expansion, all has not been smooth sailing (which, one should expect anyway with something still in beta). The reported concern? FaceTime for Mac beta makes it possible for users to change their iTunes password... without first re-entering their current password. As a result, some Apple fans and critics are crying foul and arguing that the beta program presents a very real security threat.

    As it stands, the new password would still have to follow the criteria of an iTunes password (at least 8 characters, a number, etc.), but if someone gains access to your computer without your knowledge, they could effectively change your password with very little to stop them. Although there is, by no means, widespread panic over this security glitch, there is concern and all FaceTime for Mac users are encouraged to exercise caution until the bugs leave the beta.

    MSNBC
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Security Threat Reported in FaceTime for Mac Beta started by Michael Essany View original post
    Comments 44 Comments
    1. Poseidon79's Avatar
      Poseidon79 -
      Quote Originally Posted by KartRacer View Post
      ********. Anytime that a password can be changed without entering the old one first is a security threat, physical access required or not. Especially when it's a two second change and you have to have a credit card on file for an account to be created. Most people are too stupid to follow good security practices to begin with. Have you been a victim of ID theft? I can tell you, something this innocent doesn't seem like much, but there are some real assholes in the world. Doesn't take much to completely ruin someone financially. My Dad had his personal info stolen off a simple check and 5 years later is still suffering the consequences. Strangely enough, it was required he put certain info on that check and that's what caused it. Having something this easily found is a big deal.
      But think /critically/ of the logistics of this actually happening. That was the point of my rather sarcastic earlier post which people are taking entirely too seriously lol.

      To the person who said a "friends house" is a shared environment. Are you really scared of a friend coming over and changing your iTunes password and then doing what... downloading stuff from iTunes on his devices with your $$? If that's the case that person is not a friend and you should hide ALL your valuables anytime he/she comes over! Again the idea of that is just ridiculous.

      For the ultraparanoid people out there I would like a real world /believable/ instance where this would be an issue. Most security threats are from remote hackers.. this is something that must be done physically at your machine.
    1. KartRacer's Avatar
      KartRacer -
      Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
      But think /critically/ of the logistics of this actually happening. That was the point of my rather sarcastic earlier post which people are taking entirely too seriously lol.

      To the person who said a "friends house" is a shared environment. Are you really scared of a friend coming over and changing your iTunes password and then doing what... downloading stuff from iTunes on his devices with your $$? If that's the case that person is not a friend and you should hide ALL your valuables anytime he/she comes over! Again the idea of that is just ridiculous.

      For the ultraparanoid people out there I would like a real world /believable/ instance where this would be an issue. Most security threats are from remote hackers.. this is something that must be done physically at your machine.
      True but say your machine is stolen. I have a password on things that contains info that could be dangerous. As soon as they do this, change the password in FaceTime, they have my credit card info. That simple. Which is required to have an iTunes account. They can do more dangerous things than buy crap off iTunes with it. It's a very small problem, but inexcusable. There isn't a program that I've ever seen that you could change a password without the old one on any computer I've ever touched. This should have never happened, beta or not. Especially for a system that boasts less security issues than it's competitors. And just because you're out at a friends place doesn't mean their siblings are your friends either. I've been stabbed in the back by a friends brother, just because they are your friends doesn't mean their housemates are and most of the time you don't know until it's too late.
    1. Aliquippakid's Avatar
      Aliquippakid -
      I like how the first ten posts were people letting us know this was a beta and this is what happens. Thanks for every one pointing that out.
    1. Xenthis's Avatar
      Xenthis -
      Ever thought of remote access?
    1. dhamien's Avatar
      dhamien -
      Quote Originally Posted by KartRacer View Post
      I've been stabbed in the back by a friends brother, just because they are your friends doesn't mean their housemates are and most of the time you don't know until it's too late.
      WTF kind of people do you hang around with? Really, you should get some different friends.
    1. punjabi212's Avatar
      punjabi212 -
      Quote Originally Posted by dhamien View Post
      WTF kind of people do you hang around with? Really, you should get some different friends.
      Did you read what he said? He said his friends brother you POS!
    1. dhamien's Avatar
      dhamien -
      Quote Originally Posted by punjabi212 View Post
      Did you read what he said? He said his friends brother you POS!
      Control your temper, kid. How exactly does that change anything? If someone's brother stabs you, it's time to find some different people to hang out with.
    1. Poseidon79's Avatar
      Poseidon79 -
      Quote Originally Posted by KartRacer View Post
      True but say your machine is stolen. I have a password on things that contains info that could be dangerous. As soon as they do this, change the password in FaceTime, they have my credit card info. That simple. Which is required to have an iTunes account. They can do more dangerous things than buy crap off iTunes with it. It's a very small problem, but inexcusable. There isn't a program that I've ever seen that you could change a password without the old one on any computer I've ever touched. This should have never happened, beta or not. Especially for a system that boasts less security issues than it's competitors. And just because you're out at a friends place doesn't mean their siblings are your friends either. I've been stabbed in the back by a friends brother, just because they are your friends doesn't mean their housemates are and most of the time you don't know until it's too late.
      Your iTunes password doesn't mean they get your CC info.. When I look at my account info it just gives the last 4 numbers.
    1. punjabi212's Avatar
      punjabi212 -
      Quote Originally Posted by dhamien View Post
      Control your temper, kid. How exactly does that change anything? If someone's brother stabs you, it's time to find some different people to hang out with.
      You said that he needed new friends. I was pointing out that it wasn't his friend that was an a-hole, but his brother. I think it's time for you to go jump on daddy's lap, ok lil boy?
    1. tgabriel123's Avatar
      tgabriel123 -
      Is there going to be a windows version of facetime?
    1. EskimoRuler's Avatar
      EskimoRuler -
      Quote Originally Posted by thetoothfairy View Post
      Beta = room for improvement and flaws!
      Exactly. I think face time for Mac was a great idea
    1. Aldog18's Avatar
      Aldog18 -
      Now I am super excited to get my mac!
      Like posted before I reckon that this "security threat" is stupid
    1. dotFIVE's Avatar
      dotFIVE -
      Quote Originally Posted by punjabi212 View Post
      You said that he needed new friends. I was pointing out that it wasn't his friend that was an a-hole, but his brother. I think it's time for you to go jump on daddy's lap, ok lil boy?
      I think you're getting a bit too fired up here. Relax. Welcome to the Internet. Enjoy your stay.
    1. sonupwr's Avatar
      sonupwr -
      Quote Originally Posted by dotFIVE View Post
      I think you're getting a bit too fired up here. Relax. Welcome to the Internet. Enjoy your stay.
      Too fired up? LMAO californians are weird...
    1. dotFIVE's Avatar
      dotFIVE -
      Quote Originally Posted by sonupwr View Post
      Too fired up? LMAO californians are weird...
      You know it.
    1. seankamal's Avatar
      seankamal -
      does my mac have to be jailbroken to use facetime on it?? please help im new to this..
    1. JedixJarf's Avatar
      JedixJarf -
      That's no bug... It's a feature

      Your Mac isn't jailed.....
    1. javiert30's Avatar
      javiert30 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
      But think /critically/ of the logistics of this actually happening. That was the point of my rather sarcastic earlier post which people are taking entirely too seriously lol.

      To the person who said a "friends house" is a shared environment. Are you really scared of a friend coming over and changing your iTunes password and then doing what... downloading stuff from iTunes on his devices with your $$? If that's the case that person is not a friend and you should hide ALL your valuables anytime he/she comes over! Again the idea of that is just ridiculous.

      For the ultraparanoid people out there I would like a real world /believable/ instance where this would be an issue. Most security threats are from remote hackers.. this is something that must be done physically at your machine.
      Can I use your mac for a moment? I want to see what a mac is? I dont know nothing about that... Im a friendly guy, can I? By the way can you find me a cup of water please?

      I can be your best friend, that dont means you know everything about me... (just an example) Im an angel.

      You can be hacked in a lot of ways, remotely, just looking at your trash can, giving him a ride on your car, just talking to you in person or online, or even in your face. Be careful, I think you are an easy fishy. Not paranoid, welcome to the real world. Im a computer technician, if you need to fix your mac let me know, I can fix it for you. (just another example) Im a computer tech for real and you know how many mac clients I got in one year? Hopefuly I dont do those things. (just to open your mind, eyes and ears).
    1. Gyngabread Man's Avatar
      Gyngabread Man -
      Quote Originally Posted by seankamal View Post
      does my mac have to be jailbroken to use facetime on it?? please help im new to this..


      FAIL!!!!


      Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi
    1. Aldog18's Avatar
      Aldog18 -
      Quote Originally Posted by seankamal View Post
      does my mac have to be jailbroken to use facetime on it?? please help im new to this..