• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • FaceTime Comes Back to Mac


    Download Here

    FaceTime is coming to Macs.

    "The number one request we've gotten," said Jobs, "is can we please do FaceTime calling with these devices and the Mac?" With that, Jobs rolled out FaceTime for Macs. Answering a major request of many Mac users, today Steve Jobs demoed a FaceTime application for Mac OS X, a development that will rapidly expand the growth and usage of the video chat functionality made possible by FaceTime.

    "We're really excited by this," said Jobs, reference the ability of iPhone 4 and iPod touch users now having the ability to video chat with Mac users via FaceTime, a new service available today on apple.com (in a beta). With nineteen million FaceTime users already spread around the world, it isn't hard to imagine that millions of new FaceTime users will be ushered into the era of video chat by way of today's revelation.

    "I think people are going to like this based on the requests we've gotten," Jobs told the media gathered at Apple's Cupertino campus.

    CUPERTINO, California—October 20, 2010—Apple® today announced the public beta of FaceTime® for Mac®, an entirely new application that allows Mac users to video call iPhone® 4 and iPod touch®* users as well as other Macs. Featuring an easy to use interface, FaceTime for Mac automatically uses your Address Book contacts so there’s no need to create special buddy lists, and it works seamlessly with the built-in camera and mic on Mac notebooks, iMac® and Apple LED Cinema Displays.

    “FaceTime makes video calling to or from mobile devices easy for the first time,” said Steve Jobs, Apple’s CEO. “We’ve sold more than 19 million FaceTime-ready iPhone 4 and iPod touch devices in the past four months, and now those users can make FaceTime calls with tens of millions of Mac users.”

    FaceTime for Mac requires Mac OS® X Snow Leopard® and is easy to set up with an Apple ID. The public beta is available immediately as a free download at www.apple.com/mac/facetime.

    *iOS 4.1 required.

    Apple designs Macs, the best personal computers in the world, along with OS X, iLife, iWork, and professional software. Apple leads the digital music revolution with its iPods and iTunes online store. Apple is reinventing the mobile phone with its revolutionary iPhone and App Store, and has recently introduced its magical iPad which is defining the future of mobile media and computing devices.
    This article was originally published in forum thread: FaceTime Comes Back to Mac started by Michael Essany View original post
    Comments 72 Comments
    1. JHoffy1's Avatar
      JHoffy1 -
      Anyone get facetime working with 3G on a laptop? It keeps saying that I have to be connected to WiFi. I am using a Verizon 3G USB modem.

      Thanks,

      Jon
    1. 1shuttle1's Avatar
      1shuttle1 -
      When I saw this the first thing I thought was I just bought an iPad and now I have to buy a new one . To me its the perfect device for this. Large screen and very portable. Jailbroken with MY3G this will be awesome. Apple had to know this was coming, should have put camera in first iPad. But that would not be Apple wouId it. Always leave something out to get your loyal customers to dish out more money a year later for something that should have been there. There is nothing new with Facetime. Cameras were already on all there other devices and Skypes been around a long time. Just a greed move. I'll still buy one, just get tired of Steve on stage acting like he reinvented the wheel just to get another sale.
    1. law111's Avatar
      law111 -
      Quote Originally Posted by scroogelives View Post
      What about a windows version!! Most idevice users use windows not macs!!
      but not for long. Apple is Genius.
    1. JHoffy1's Avatar
      JHoffy1 -
      Quote Originally Posted by 1shuttle1 View Post
      When I saw this the first thing I thought was I just bought an iPad and now I have to buy a new one . To me its the perfect device for this. Large screen and very portable. Jailbroken with MY3G this will be awesome. Apple had to know this was coming, should have put camera in first iPad. But that would not be Apple wouId it. Always leave something out to get your loyal customers to dish out more money a year later for something that should have been there. There is nothing new with Facetime. Cameras were already on all there other devices and Skypes been around a long time. Just a greed move. I'll still buy one, just get tired of Steve on stage acting like he reinvented the wheel just to get another sale.


      my sentiments exactly!
    1. Rokesomesmeefer's Avatar
      Rokesomesmeefer -
      Quote Originally Posted by moon#pie View Post
      thank you. a windows user in here who isn't being a d***
      In case you didn't notice, it's primarily the Mac users in here that are being dicks, not the Windows users. And that is typically the norm.
    1. moon#pie's Avatar
      moon#pie -
      Quote Originally Posted by Rokesomesmeefer View Post
      In case you didn't notice, it's primarily the Mac users in here that are being dicks, not the Windows users. And that is typically the norm.
      not around here. incase you didn't notice.
    1. DimaSSS's Avatar
      DimaSSS -
      why the hell is it only limited to iphone w/ 4.1??? im on JB'd 4.0.1 and i will not update, I like 4.0.1, why cant i use it with facetime for macs it doesnt make sense from a functionality standpoint. I undersatnd that its just another reason to get people over to 4.1, but other than that WTF!!!!. Can some get a hack going to make it work on 4.0 and 4.0.1 plzzzz
    1. BenderRodriguez's Avatar
      BenderRodriguez -
      Quote Originally Posted by DimaSSS View Post
      why the hell is it only limited to iphone w/ 4.1??? im on JB'd 4.0.1 and i will not update, I like 4.0.1, why cant i use it with facetime for macs it doesnt make sense from a functionality standpoint. I undersatnd that its just another reason to get people over to 4.1, but other than that WTF!!!!. Can some get a hack going to make it work on 4.0 and 4.0.1 plzzzz
      Why not update? Its jailbreakable and if you can keep your baseband then it's unlockable, to hold your baseband go search YouTube "iPhone 4.1 unlock"
    1. reanimationxp's Avatar
      reanimationxp -
      Quote Originally Posted by quidam_brujah View Post
      I'll see your 'more iPhone users use Windows' comment and raise you a 'more Windows users own Android devices'.... ah Ha!
      (this didn't auto merge...hmmm)

      Skype has already said they are interested in that, BTW. Have patience young one.
      Duh, most people use Windows period.
    1. KartRacer's Avatar
      KartRacer -
      Quote Originally Posted by moon#pie View Post
      not around here. incase you didn't notice.
      Actually yes it is. In this thread anyway.
    1. KartRacer's Avatar
      KartRacer -
      Quote Originally Posted by DimaSSS View Post
      why the hell is it only limited to iphone w/ 4.1??? im on JB'd 4.0.1 and i will not update, I like 4.0.1, why cant i use it with facetime for macs it doesnt make sense from a functionality standpoint. I undersatnd that its just another reason to get people over to 4.1, but other than that WTF!!!!. Can some get a hack going to make it work on 4.0 and 4.0.1 plzzzz
      You have no excuse not to update. Why should someone waste time making it work on a firmware that they don't need to. Update, there's zero reason not to. Plzzzzzz
    1. macsoldier's Avatar
      macsoldier -
      Anybody want to try the facetime for mac I havent used it yet and would like to check it out.