• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • The $900 Cardboard Box Hackintosh Built In A Hurry


    When the guys over at One Block Off The Grid ran into trouble with Adobe After Effects, they realized that they needed a faster Mac to finish their project on time. They could have done what most people in this situation would do and go buy a new Mac at an Apple Store, but not these guys. Instead, the team decided to go another route and build their own hackintosh from parts ordered from Amazon for about $900.

    The One Block Off The Grid personnel assembled their hackintosh using a 2.66 Intel Core i5 CPU, a 1 TB hard drive, 8 GB of 1333 MHz DDR3 RAM, and an XFX Radeon HD 5770 1GB DDR5 Graphics Card. The best part: they installed all of these components into the cardboard box in which the order was shipped. Using iBoot + MultiBeast, the team was able to install Snow Leopard on their new hackintosh.

    One Block Off The Grid was able to put together exactly what they needed to finish their After Effects project, and they only spent $900. Compare this to paying $2700 for an equivalent Apple computer. It may not be as stylish as a new Mac, but then you could never get anything as fast as this from Apple for 900 bucks.

    I know Apple has been touting how green they are lately, but I donít think you can get more recyclable than cardboard. Maybe the team at One Block Off The Gridís next hackintosh project can be built using aluminum cans instead. The CPU could even be soda cooled.

    Source: Cult of Mac
    This article was originally published in forum thread: The $900 Cardboard Box Hackintosh Built In A Hurry started by Wiley John Wright View original post
    Comments 57 Comments
    1. moon#pie's Avatar
      moon#pie -
      Quote Originally Posted by Apple. View Post
      i also get a warranty
      best customer service
      and i dont have to worry about driver issues..

      You may have spent $900 for building the PC

      but what about the monitor?

      thats another $200-$500

      I had a pc, i had a macintosh, but it feels so generic..i went with the original..

      My 15' MacBook Pro i5 HD graphics card...

      and i love it..

      $1799

      my life savings and my grad money combined spent on it
      I'm pretty sure they had a monitor from the old computer.

      And intel HD graphics suck! nvidia 330M ftw! Get GFXcardstatus for you MBP.
    1. Eagleye's Avatar
      Eagleye -
      Quote Originally Posted by Apple. View Post

      $1799

      my life savings and my grad money combined spent on it

      $1,799 was your LIFE savings and your graduation money COMBINED? ....You could have built TWO cardboard hackintosh's!!! But instead you bought a MBP at full retail. Now you're dealing with emotional conflict and external stressors by concealing the true motivations for your impulsive spending through the elaboration of justification by means of rationalizing. I hope you learned your lesson... before you consider walking into that shiny Apple retail store and dropping your next life's savings and grad money on a beautiful new Mac, consider dropping a couple parts into a cardboard box from Amazon ".... and you're done."
    1. Rob2G's Avatar
      Rob2G -
      Quote Originally Posted by Carter454 View Post
      Hey! Somthing thats not a rumor! ...Just a dumb, slow newsday. Bring on the Jailbreak!
      I wish people would stop posting about "the Jailbreak" in threads not related to the iPhone.
    1. Suhvas2006's Avatar
      Suhvas2006 -
      Where can I order one?
    1. scatman10's Avatar
      scatman10 -
      Lol I built my pc like 2 years ago and all parts came in except for my case. So I put the mobo's anti-static plastic at the bottom and built my pc inside a box like this in the mean time while my case arrived. I ran it like that for about 2 weeks no problems...
    1. Johnnytucats's Avatar
      Johnnytucats -
      If you want to do-it-yourself, tonymacx86.com is definitely the place to find out how. The other sites, although older, are too chaotic.
    1. awesomeSlayer's Avatar
      awesomeSlayer -
      Hmmm...PC hardware in a cardboard - OH ****!! IT'S ON FIRE!
    1. JayQuint87's Avatar
      JayQuint87 -
      I like this
    1. ronfin44's Avatar
      ronfin44 -
      Perfect concept. Build the Mac in a box, then put it out in the trash on your way to buy a PC. haha
    1. moon#pie's Avatar
      moon#pie -
      Quote Originally Posted by ronfin44 View Post
      Perfect concept. Build the Mac in a box, then put it out in the trash on your way to buy a PC. haha
      All they did was build a PC and hackintosh OS X on it.

      Oh and also, I own a PC that was made by Apple! You wanna know how? PC stands for "Personal Computer"!
    1. Apple.'s Avatar
      Apple. -
      Quote Originally Posted by Eagleye View Post
      $1,799 was your LIFE savings and your graduation money COMBINED? ....You could have built TWO cardboard hackintosh's!!! But instead you bought a MBP at full retail. Now you're dealing with emotional conflict and external stressors by concealing the true motivations for your impulsive spending through the elaboration of justification by means of rationalizing. I hope you learned your lesson... before you consider walking into that shiny Apple retail store and dropping your next life's savings and grad money on a beautiful new Mac, consider dropping a couple parts into a cardboard box from Amazon ".... and you're done."
      keyword..savings.
      if i was an impulsive spender, i wouldn't have a savings..
      second of all, i can spend my money on whatever i please..
      i was stating my opinion just like everyone else in this thread..yet haters still find a way to hate
      i could afford the macbook pro, since the savings were put aside for my college..
      and i needed a laptop for college so i went with the best non-microsoft option I FELT was available.

      If you feel that building your own PC and installing OSX onto it is better for you..then do so..

      i can build a PC myself and ive done it before, and ive installed OSX leopard on it..
      and it feels generic..but thats my personal opinion..if im going to spend money trying to EMULATE something i might as well save up to buy the real thing..thats the way i look at it..
    1. G7een's Avatar
      G7een -
      uhmm it is the real thing. infact its even better than the real thing and also cheaper
    1. Eagleye's Avatar
      Eagleye -
      Quote Originally Posted by Apple. View Post
      keyword..savings.
      if i was an impulsive spender, i wouldn't have a savings..
      second of all, i can spend my money on whatever i please..
      i was stating my opinion just like everyone else in this thread..yet haters still find a way to hate
      i could afford the macbook pro, since the savings were put aside for my college..
      and i needed a laptop for college so i went with the best non-microsoft option I FELT was available.

      If you feel that building your own PC and installing OSX onto it is better for you..then do so..

      i can build a PC myself and ive done it before, and ive installed OSX leopard on it..
      and it feels generic..but thats my personal opinion..if im going to spend money trying to EMULATE something i might as well save up to buy the real thing..thats the way i look at it..
      Chill dude, im just pullin ur chain! I have a MBP and a Mac Pro.. lol. And as a designer, I appreciate Jon Ive's beautiful casing designs vs. a cardboard box. So ya, im a hypocrite... sue me.
    1. Snozberries's Avatar
      Snozberries -
      USPS envelopes = +1
    1. enopola's Avatar
      enopola -
      Quote Originally Posted by Apple. View Post
      i also get a warranty
      best customer service
      and i dont have to worry about driver issues..

      You may have spent $900 for building the PC

      but what about the monitor?

      thats another $200-$500

      I had a pc, i had a hackintosh, but it feels so generic..i went with the original..

      My 15' MacBook Pro i5 HD graphics card...

      and i love it..

      $1799

      my life savings and my grad money combined spent on it
      $1799 is not a life's savings, but otherwise, great investment. Enjoy your outdated computer next year, ask customer service about upgrade options.
    1. moon#pie's Avatar
      moon#pie -
      Quote Originally Posted by Apple. View Post
      keyword..savings.
      if i was an impulsive spender, i wouldn't have a savings..
      second of all, i can spend my money on whatever i please..
      i was stating my opinion just like everyone else in this thread..yet haters still find a way to hate
      i could afford the macbook pro, since the savings were put aside for my college..
      and i needed a laptop for college so i went with the best non-microsoft option I FELT was available.

      If you feel that building your own PC and installing OSX onto it is better for you..then do so..

      i can build a PC myself and ive done it before, and ive installed OSX leopard on it..
      and it feels generic..but thats my personal opinion..if im going to spend money trying to EMULATE something i might as well save up to buy the real thing..thats the way i look at it..
      if you call those "savings", then I would say that you are an implosive spender.....

      anywho, good purchase. But for the love of God, don't go around saying "my computer has intel HD graphics", because every super *** computer in the world has integrated graphics (which suck for anything other than email and web browsing). It's basically there so that it gets a better battery life when it's not running PS, games, Flash, or some other thing.
    1. ArtemisKitty's Avatar
      ArtemisKitty -
      Hmm... I seem to remember something different about the burning temp. of paper/cardboard... http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...neheit_451.jpg - Granted if your PC, hackintosh or not gets ANYWHERE near 450 degrees... yikes. You'll have long since fried the CPU/RAM/etc. before it bursts into flame. But hey, $30 more gets you a nice cheap case, so it's STILL a <1000 core i5 powermac. Awesome job.