• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • Magic Trackpad? FCC Approves Mystery Device


    Apple just got FCC approval for a Bluetooth trackpad, and observers are wondering if it is the long-rumored "Magic Trackpad" wireless multi-touch device. Little can be gleaned about the gadget from the certification and test reports available on the FCC website, but a reference to a part number in a recently leaked picture suggests that it's one and the same as that purported prototype. Given that Apple is in the habit of very carefully timing its FCC applications to coincide with new product introductions, this could mean that the new device could be released in a matter of days.

    Back in February, Apple got a trademark on the name "Magic Trackpad," in a move that suggested rumors that had been around for months about a multi-touch trackpad could be coming true. No device was released, or even announced, and the rumors mostly dies away until last month, when Engadget got a hold of what it claimed were leaked pictures of the trackpad. Engadget's source also claimed that the trackpad is capable of handwriting recognition, which would be a very interesting innovation if true. Jeff Smykil over at Ars speculates that such a peripheral would be an ideal remote for a future iOS-powered Apple TV.

    As part of its traditional culture of secrecy, Apple has previously made sure that FCC approval did not come until after its new products were revealed. The iPad, for example, was announced sixty days before it got approval from the FCC, and it took six months from the announcement of the original iPhone for that device to get FCC authorization. So the expectation is that we should see this new peripheral very soon.

    Source: AppleInsider, MacRumors
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Magic Trackpad? FCC Approves Mystery Device started by Paul Daniel Ash View original post
    Comments 42 Comments
    1. whereswaldo's Avatar
      whereswaldo -
      With this apple product, it might be the first time the sky is the limit
    1. jamriman's Avatar
      jamriman -
      Quote Originally Posted by joe97 View Post
      I'm keeping my iPhone 4 and if it wasn't for all this crap (and that's exactly what it boils down to) going around I'd never know there was an "issue". Well alright there may very well be an issue but it has been blown craptacularly out of proportion. I'd go and buy an iPad today if I could spare the $$.
      Agreed. I can't get a bar to drop no matter how I hold it and I was one of the ones to get it.
    1. joe97's Avatar
      joe97 -
      I bought a MacBook when Apple first introduced the unibody models and I couldn't be more pleased with it. I don't see myself buying a Windows machine again.
    1. haibane's Avatar
      haibane -
      Its a little disappointing that you guys don't have your writers reading engadget more often. It was posted a while ago, but anyhow good job with the site and keep up the good work
    1. Cer0's Avatar
      Cer0 -
      Quote Originally Posted by haibane View Post
      Its a little disappointing that you guys don't have your writers reading engadget more often. It was posted a while ago, but anyhow good job with the site and keep up the good work
      Actually edgadget posted this "updated" info today/last night. The story of the magicpad has been around for a little bit but the news that the FCC passed it came about today in the tech world.
    1. ALAN523's Avatar
      ALAN523 -
      Quote Originally Posted by awesomeiPod View Post
      Umm...wrong section.

      This might be something good.
      sorry bro but topic came up
    1. Aliquippakid's Avatar
      Aliquippakid -
      Quote Originally Posted by rpgpromaster View Post
      late again i read about this and watched some youtube videos hours ago
      Jesus... Is it really needed. How cool to people feel to know things two hours before a popular site posts it? It is getting rediculous seein these post this site is put together clean and delivers news. What do you expect people eat and sleep ya know. Why do you check a all in one site like this if you can't be happy with the results. I think 99% of people can handle checking this site once in the morning and once at night to get the gist of things am I right anyone?
    1. ALAN523's Avatar
      ALAN523 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Aliquippakid View Post
      Jesus... Is it really needed. How cool to people feel to know things two hours before a popular site posts it? It is getting rediculous seein these post this site is put together clean and delivers news. What do you expect people eat and sleep ya know. Why do you check a all in one site like this if you can't be happy with the results. I think 99% of people can handle checking this site once in the morning and once at night to get the gist of things am I right anyone?
      i agree
    1. tudtran's Avatar
      tudtran -
      I know an apple magic trick. If you cover the bottom left hand conner of the iPhone 4, your signal with disappear.
    1. macsoldier's Avatar
      macsoldier -
      This has nothing to do with the Iphone 4
    1. scooby4's Avatar
      scooby4 -
      I dont think releasing new products anytime soon would be a good idea lol
    1. masarripa's Avatar
      masarripa -
      i cant really see myself using this thing with anything..
    1. C-dub's Avatar
      C-dub -
      Quote Originally Posted by ALAN523 View Post
      I love my iPhone 4. people got to stop hating. if u dont like it well return it. why do u still have it!? oh yeah.. because YOU FUKING LOVE THE IPHONE 4!!!!!
      exactly
    1. barryson77's Avatar
      barryson77 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Wolftamer View Post
      Great...a pad that most laptops come with standard now. whooopie
      dont u read the name?MAGIC PAD its not just ur crappy pad u got on ur windows laptops

      Quote Originally Posted by scooby4 View Post
      I dont think releasing new products anytime soon would be a good idea lol
      because you the only one who gonna buy it right? just sit back n enjoy the show
    1. samurai_vara's Avatar
      samurai_vara -
      Quote Originally Posted by whereswaldo View Post
      With this apple product, it might be the first time the sky is the limit
      lolz
    1. Rokesomesmeefer's Avatar
      Rokesomesmeefer -
      If this thing turns out to be as "magical" as the iPad, I'm fully expecting an over-sized touch pad that ultimately does nothing useful that a typical touch pad doesn't already do.
    1. ish8894's Avatar
      ish8894 -
      It was exactly a 4 minute and 30 second deficit before ModMyI posted this compared to Engadget.
      Edit: Lol i was being sarcastic but whatever :P
    1. rhekt's Avatar
      rhekt -
      Quote Originally Posted by rpgpromaster View Post
      late again i read about this and watched some youtube videos hours ago
      Yeah. They're not the quickest all the time. But sometimes I miss it elsewhere and get it here.
    1. dale2's Avatar
      dale2 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Rokesomesmeefer View Post
      If this thing turns out to be as "magical" as the iPad, I'm fully expecting an over-sized touch pad that ultimately does nothing useful that a typical touch pad doesn't already do.
      Have you ever used one of apple's trackpads? the new ones with the integrated button
      you would be surprised how amazing it makes the trackpad feel
      i even hate getting on an older macbook that still has a button near your thumb

      i use a miniDisplay to HDMI adapter to watch movies on my 40" tv, one of these would eliminate the need for a mouse i have to use while i sit on my couch.

      when using photoshop or other mouse intensive tasks(solitaire lol), it would be convenient to be able to use the trackpad in any position you wanted, instead of the sometimes awkward angle the built in trackpad has
    1. Rokesomesmeefer's Avatar
      Rokesomesmeefer -
      Quote Originally Posted by dale2 View Post
      Have you ever used one of apple's trackpads? the new ones with the integrated button
      you would be surprised how amazing it makes the trackpad feel
      i even hate getting on an older macbook that still has a button near your thumb
      Have you ever used an iPad? There's nothing even remotely "magical" about it.

      Don't get me wrong, I like my iPad. But before it was jailbroken it was nothing more than a giant iPod Touch.

      Quote Originally Posted by dale2 View Post
      i use a miniDisplay to HDMI adapter to watch movies on my 40" tv, one of these would eliminate the need for a mouse i have to use while i sit on my couch.
      That's what a remote is for, and Apple already makes one of those.

      Quote Originally Posted by dale2 View Post
      when using photoshop or other mouse intensive tasks(solitaire lol), it would be convenient to be able to use the trackpad in any position you wanted, instead of the sometimes awkward angle the built in trackpad has
      Photoshop is a pain to use with any trackpad, and there is already something much better to use. Wacom has been making high-quality digitizers for several years and I highly doubt Apple would even come close to beating them in quality and functionality. Apple will find a way to make it do only what they expect you to do with it, and it'll be lacking something that everyone wants as usual.

      What I consider "mouse intensive" would not be solitaire but rather a first-person shooter. Good luck with that.