• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • iOS Update Imminent? Back Up Your SHSH Blobs Anyway...


    [UPDATE: the rumors were right and iOS 4.0.2/3.2.2 are out there. Jailbreakers DO NOT UPGRADE.]

    Unsubstantiated rumors are flying around the interwebs about iOS 4.0.2 and iOS 3.2.2 updates to be released within hours that will close the PDF hole and root escalation bug that made jailbreakMe possible. No idea if it's true, but we know that Apple claims to have an upgrade in the pipeline, and no less of a personage than the Dev-Team's @cpich3g hints that it's about to drop, so better safe than sorry.

    Obviously, if you're prompted to update firmware, don't do it. But to avoid any possibility of losing your jailbreak and apps, back up your SHSH blobs now if you haven't already done so, before the saving window closes.

    Source: @cpich3g
    This article was originally published in forum thread: iOS Update Imminent? Back Up Your SHSH Blobs Anyway... started by Paul Daniel Ash View original post
    Comments 155 Comments
    1. Revel's Avatar
      Revel -
      i'm on 4.1 and jailbroken not updating for along time
    1. mustard05's Avatar
      mustard05 -
      I was just able to downgrde back to 4.0.1 from 4.0.2 Thank god.
    1. Happy Noodle Boy's Avatar
      Happy Noodle Boy -
      Quote Originally Posted by rukavuda View Post
      i dont know who is the most clever the dev teams or saurik

      this pdf patch ive just installed, it wont block the jailbreakme should i need to jailbreakme again will it ?
      Nope! The vulnerability is part of the firmware itself so the hole will always be a part of 4.0.1. Make sure you got the SHSH's though else you wouldn't be able to downgrade/restore in the first place.
    1. RICO_'s Avatar
      RICO_ -
      Quote Originally Posted by Happy Noodle Boy View Post
      Nope! The vulnerability is part of the firmware itself so the hole will always be a part of 4.0.1. Make sure you got the SHSH's though else you wouldn't be able to downgrade/restore in the first place.
      So the patch doesn't fix the hole?
    1. DimaSSS's Avatar
      DimaSSS -
      ^ yeah whats does saurik's patch do exactly?
    1. rukavuda's Avatar
      rukavuda -
      very good question !
      ive just installed it and dont know what it does lol
    1. area51crypto's Avatar
      area51crypto -
      Quote Originally Posted by kuhndsn View Post
      Ok. Now... When will MMI updated their broken link in cydia. Talk about annoying to get the broken/missing link everytime I login.
      MMI server is getting hammered and cannot handle the band with!

      I don't think I have open Cydia over 5 in the last month that some repo failed!

      It's something that we are going to have to put up with as I don't think any of the repos are going to update there servers just to accommodate us probality a money thing!
    1. istinkles's Avatar
      istinkles -
      I'm hopefully getting the iphone 4 next week. does anyone know if i'll be able to downgrade it to 4.0 and jailbreak, or will this new update ruin that?
    1. bobright's Avatar
      bobright -
      What is the name of Sauriks PDF patch? And is it his most recent on twitter he said he was updating it or something
    1. mustard05's Avatar
      mustard05 -
      Good question!
    1. Halten77's Avatar
      Halten77 -
      RedSn0w is updated to jailbreak 4.0.2 according to musclenerd's tweet. Update if you wish.... ONLY IPHONE 3G AND IPOD TOUCH 2G (NON-MC) SUPPORTED AT THIS TIME FOR 4.0.2.

      Note: Point RedSn0w to a 4.0 IPSW, NOT a 4.0.2 IPSW. You must be on 4.0.2 for this to work
    1. whereswaldo's Avatar
      whereswaldo -
      Quote Originally Posted by istinkles View Post
      I'm hopefully getting the iphone 4 next week. does anyone know if i'll be able to downgrade it to 4.0 and jailbreak, or will this new update ruin that?
      Ruin, sucks for both of us cause I'm getting one too
    1. RICO_'s Avatar
      RICO_ -
      Is anybody gonna answer my f**kin question? Or should I just tank this jailbreak and restore. I've got the majority of people saying that the PDF Patch fixes the security issue. And now Happy Noodle Boy is saying that the hole will ALWAYS be apart of the iOS 4.0.1

      So what's the deal? Which is it?

      Quote Originally Posted by bobright View Post
      What is the name of Sauriks PDF patch? And is it his most recent on twitter he said he was updating it or something
      "PDF Patch"

      Type it in search.
    1. area51crypto's Avatar
      area51crypto -
      Quote Originally Posted by RICO_ View Post
      Is anybody gonna answer my f**kin question? Or should I just tank this jailbreak and restore. I've got the majority of people saying that the PDF Patch fixes the security issue. And now Happy Noodle Boy is saying that the hole will ALWAYS be apart of the iOS 4.0.1

      So what's the deal? Which is it?



      "PDF Patch"

      Type it in search.
      As long as you are on 4.0.1 and below and I do not know all of the below, you WILL ALWAYS have this hole!

      You can find the patch in Cydia and it is named


      PDF Patch (CVE-2010-17..

      The fix is already in 4.0.2

      Hope this help!
    1. The Digital Alchemist's Avatar
      The Digital Alchemist -
      Questions from a n00b. I just got 2 iP4s this morning so they should still have 4.0.1. I'll jailbreak them tonight, but is it too late for Cydia to "Make my life easier" and save my SHSHs?

      And a very big thank you to Saurik, at least my other phones are safe now that I've dl'd the PDF patch.
    1. DimaSSS's Avatar
      DimaSSS -
      Yes its too late to save ur blobs for 4.0.1
    1. RICO_'s Avatar
      RICO_ -
      Quote Originally Posted by area51crypto View Post
      As long as you are on 4.0.1 and below and I do not know all of the below, you WILL ALWAYS have this hole!

      You can find the patch in Cydia and it is named


      PDF Patch (CVE-2010-17..

      The fix is already in 4.0.2

      Hope this help!
      I'm still a bit confuzled. If the hole is always there....what is the point of the "PDF Patch" from Saurik?

      Maybe I missed something.
    1. Cer0's Avatar
      Cer0 -
      It was there all along. The patch Saurik did fixes it with the older devices that are at end of life on 3.1.3 also. Like first gen iPod Touch and 2G iPhone.

      Apple patched it with 4.0.2 but not all iDevices can be upgraded to 4.0. It is also there for jailbreakers because there is no need to go to 4.0.2 because thats all it does and Saurik fixed that for us with this.
    1. area51crypto's Avatar
      area51crypto -
      Quote Originally Posted by RICO_ View Post
      I'm still a bit confuzled. If the hole is always there....what is the point of the "PDF Patch" from Saurik?

      Maybe I missed something.
      The patch closes the hole.

      But stock 4.0.1 and below will still have the hole or better words the security flaw, unless the patch has been applied!
    1. The Digital Alchemist's Avatar
      The Digital Alchemist -
      Quote Originally Posted by DimaSSS View Post
      Yes its too late to save ur blobs for 4.0.1

      Thanks, I pretty much knew that... was just hoping the answer was different. I got both my iP4s JB'd eventually last night and will have to pray I don't have to restore them (at least not until 4.1 is jailbroken).