• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • Water Damaged iPhone? Grab Some Rice!


    The good people at iFixYouri have published an interesting how-to guide for helping curb water damage to your iPhone after being accidentally submerged in water. According to the makers of the above video, water damaged iDevices are incredibly commonplace. But even if your iPhone takes the plunge, there's still a chance you can fix the soggy mess yourself.

    Common sense, of course, dictates that if your iPhone falls into the toilet, a lake, or any other pool of liquid, the first step is to retrieve the device as quickly as possible. The next steps, however, may not be so familiar. Once you've retrieved your handset and powered it off, pop out the SIM card. Last but not least, stick your iPhone into a bag of uncooked rice. If you have a bag with ziplock functionality, you're in good shape, as any air in the bag of rice will reduce the effectiveness of this technique.

    According to the team at iFixYouri, "if you follow the above steps and mail the water damaged iPhone we can fix it as good as new." Then again, you may not even need to send the device in. Simply wait 48 to 72 hours after your rice-drying experiment. There's a good chance that your iPhone will be back to normal and showing few signs of internal water damage. If, however, your iPhone isn't working properly, simply put the device back in the bag of rice and send it to the people at iFixYouri, a business that specializes in repairing damaged iDevices.

    iFixYouri
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Water Damaged iPhone? Grab Some Rice! started by Michael Essany View original post
    Comments 88 Comments
    1. tudtran's Avatar
      tudtran -
      That's so stupid
    1. Shishir G's Avatar
      Shishir G -
      Quote Originally Posted by hapishyguy View Post
      lolz. Its just to fool people as if putting in bag of rice will fix the phone. Ofcourse it will not and ifixyouri gave us the next action "send the phone to them". In actual, the whole plan is Action 2.
      Actually it does work, rice is known to suck up water, and if you just lay it there like that it surely will suck up the water, theres not a 100% chance it'll be fixed, but the water will get out thats for sure.
    1. anarchydude's Avatar
      anarchydude -
      Anyone else notice he took the SIM out from the top? Looked like he had an iPhone4 with a standard sized SIM.. weird?
    1. Bluemoldycheeze88's Avatar
      Bluemoldycheeze88 -
      My bosses daugther did rice trick with her Motorola Razor and It worked expect for the battery needing to be replace because It can't hold a charge.
    1. Atreides's Avatar
      Atreides -
      Problem with the rice method is it's too slow, allowing the water time to oxidize near capacitive sources and areas with current (remember, even though the phone is turned off, the battery is still live and wired).

      I've doused many of my electrical devices with water, coffee, beer, antifreeze (failed water cooling), and so on. The tried a true method for recovery was:

      1) Immediate removal of power
      2) Anything other than water spills get a good hefty dose of electrical circuit cleaner or pure alcohol bath followed by a bath in distilled water.
      3) 100-120 psi of compressed air for 1 - 6 minutes depending on component (i.e. curves, crevices, enclosed structures like radio shields). The more complex the more air.
      4) A few minutes with heat gun set to device appropriate temp. For the iPhone I would set to around 140F (60C) being sure to distribute heat evenly around device and into crevices.

      Total time to dry in my cases have been around 30 minutes. If the device does not immediately respond when powered, immediately power it down. Start over from step 3. For motherboards and such, it's much easier since the heat gun can be cranked way up to 280F (140C) range...

      Anyway, that's what has worked with me. The only component I've not been able to restore yet are Macbook keyboards. I imagine it's because of the sandwich contact design - once the liquid gets in there it's trapped.
    1. Bluemoldycheeze88's Avatar
      Bluemoldycheeze88 -
      Quote Originally Posted by anarchydude View Post
      Anyone else notice he took the SIM out from the top? Looked like he had an iPhone4 with a standard sized SIM.. weird?
      It wasnt a iPhone 4 it was a 3g
    1. vinaygoel2000's Avatar
      vinaygoel2000 -
      Quote Originally Posted by jayson9 View Post
      Here's a great recipe for all water logged iPhone 4's:

      - first take it out of the liquid emmediately.
      - place in bag of rice (2 cups perferred)
      - heat wok to 400 degrees
      - add iPhone and rice to wok
      - cook in wok for approx 10 minutes until golden brown, or until bumper melts.
      - dump all in trash
      - buy a Droid.

      P.S. I wonder what it would be like with Sushi?
      Continue Steps here:

      - Play with the Droid for a couple of hours
      - Throw it in garbage
      - Buy another iPhone.
    1. CyberDad's Avatar
      CyberDad -
      Mouth to Mouth for my iPhone.
      Thanks.
    1. iLoveWindows&iPhone's Avatar
      iLoveWindows&iPhone -
      What I really wanna know is.....can you eat the rice afterwards. iPhone fry rye!!
    1. zYxMa's Avatar
      zYxMa -
      Quote Originally Posted by jayson9 View Post
      Here's a great recipe for all water logged iPhone 4's:

      - first take it out of the liquid emmediately.
      - place in bag of rice (2 cups perferred)
      - heat wok to 400 degrees
      - add iPhone and rice to wok
      - cook in wok for approx 10 minutes until golden brown, or until bumper melts.
      - dump all in trash
      - buy a Droid.

      P.S. I wonder what it would be like with Sushi?
      Quote Originally Posted by vinaygoel2000 View Post
      Continue Steps here:

      - Play with the Droid for a couple of hours
      - Throw it in garbage
      - Buy another iPhone.
      Nice one!

      ...and thanks for the TIP! When I saw that I was like WTF? But saw people opinions and I think I have nothing to loose if it it happens to me and to try this rice trick
    1. viligante8's Avatar
      viligante8 -
      You could also submerge the iDevice in pure or near pure alcohol/ethanol and the water will evaporate with the alcohol. None of that 70% rubbing alcohol though
    1. Mes's Avatar
      Mes -
      ^^Yea ... need 95% alcohol (heard ether works even better). Personally, I use alcohol ONLY if the liquid was NOT water --- but then again, I might give this a try next time LOL
    1. mosesh's Avatar
      mosesh -
      i had an experience of my own like this, but after many days in rice I figured out where the water sensor was. The sensor had be turned red and I know at the apple store they check for this before they give you a new one so i dyed the sensor by taking a ear cleaner and putting a drop of bleach on it then applying it to the sensor, which is inside the headphone jack. There are actually 2 sensors but the other one is within the device and they do not check it. I had no problems at the store and i got a brand new one that day. hope this helps anyone who needs to get around a water damaged idevice.
    1. ufcsean's Avatar
      ufcsean -
      Quote Originally Posted by mosesh View Post
      i had an experience of my own like this, but after many days in rice I figured out where the water sensor was. The sensor had be turned red and I know at the apple store they check for this before they give you a new one so i dyed the sensor by taking a ear cleaner and putting a drop of bleach on it then applying it to the sensor, which is inside the headphone jack. There are actually 2 sensors but the other one is within the device and they do not check it. I had no problems at the store and i got a brand new one that day. hope this helps anyone who needs to get around a water damaged idevice.
      Slick!

      That's a great idea mate, I've never had water damage though! *knocks wood*
    1. Siron004's Avatar
      Siron004 -
      As an actual cell phone tech/IT professional, I feel like it is my duty to clear some things up.
      1.) Rice will absorb the moisture out of the phone, its common sense really so those of you who are just so sure that rice cannot possibly do something such as this you are 100% incorrect. its science.
      2.) No, the rice wont ALWAYS fix it, but its usually a pretty good chance. However, if you putting the phone in rice for a couple of days solves nothing I wouldnt at all recommend sending these people your phone. The fact of the matter is you CANNOT I repeat can NOT reverse or halt corrosion. Just isn't scientifically possible. So while they claim your phone will be good as new, it wont be.

      Quote Originally Posted by ufcsean View Post
      Slick!

      That's a great idea mate, I've never had water damage though! *knocks wood*

      Just a heads up, there are 4 water indicators on the iphone. not two. one inside the headphone jack, two on the main board itself, and one on the charging dock. This is assuming your speaking of 2nd and 3rd gens.
    1. ikkviper's Avatar
      ikkviper -
      Sounds like something that the Myth Busters should try....
    1. jeremymobile's Avatar
      jeremymobile -
      One of the main issues with water damage is not only the water but the TDS (total disolved solids). As posted earlier in the thread washing it if dropped in say saltwater is important. If you just dry it the disolved solids stay behind and jump contacts shorting it out. If you rinse it with purified or distilled water this will get rid of the TDS. I have done this with many phones and all have worked. Think about when you go to the beach, you swim and dry off but there is still a film or salt on your skin. So you rinse off.........
    1. jguz's Avatar
      jguz -
      This actually did work for me!
    1. JaydeTech's Avatar
      JaydeTech -
      Hardly news. Uncooked rice absorbs moisture. Hence why restaurants put it in their salt.

      Not news to me at least
    1. oldgit9's Avatar
      oldgit9 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Siron004 View Post
      Just a heads up, there are 4 water indicators on the iphone. not two. one inside the headphone jack, two on the main board itself, and one on the charging dock. This is assuming your speaking of 2nd and 3rd gens.
      there was a segment on a BBC program called watchdog about this. 99% of the people that i know with an iphone or itouch had never heard of the indicators.

      [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFN6nIxAQe8]YouTube - ‪BBC Watchdog - iPhone water damage indicator issue‬‎[/ame]