• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • Samsung and HTC Respond to Apple's Antenna Allegations



    Last Friday, both Nokia and Research in Motion fired back at Apple in the immediate hours following Steve Jobs' press conference to mitigate the severity of the Death Grip, announce a free case program, and generalize the iPhone 4's antenna issues to the smartphone industry as a whole. As expected, the mobile phone makers that Apple called out did not respond favorably to the sweeping allegations made to the entire world.

    And today, both HTC and Samsung have responded to claims that their products have similar if not worse antenna and reception problems. The Wall Street Journal is where HTC turned to get their message across to everyone: poor reception and dropped calls due to improperly holding a phone aren't as widespread and universal as Apple made them appear to be. Hui-Meng Cheng, the company's CFO, said that "the reception problems are certainly not common among smartphones." Adding that Apple should correct its design flaws and leave competitors out of the argument, Cheng concluded that Apple "apparently didn't give operators enough time to test the phone."

    It should be noted, however, that Daring Fireball responded to HTC's statement Monday by reference a portion of HTC's instruction manual for the Droid Eris which clearly states (and punctuates with a photo) that the device shouldn't be touched or held over the part of the device where the antenna is housed. From the manual: "Avoiding contact with the antenna area when the phone is IN USE optimizes the antenna performance and the battery life."



    Samsung, meanwhile, also has a stake in this fight as Apple called out the Omnia II and pointed to analogous reception bugs. Samsung, however, wanted to make it clear in a statement today that the company simply "hasn't received significant customer feedback on any signal reduction issue for the Omnia II." The terse response from Samsung followed Apple's hands-on demonstration of the similarly "flawed" Omnia II last week.

    Apple, which has sold in excess of three million iPhone 4s since last month, will distribute free cases to every iPhone 4 customer through Sept. 30 - a move that Apple is obviously hoping will put the "Death Grip" issue to rest once and for all.

    Wall Street Journal
    Daring Fireball
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Samsung and HTC Respond to Apple's Antenna Allegations started by Michael Essany View original post
    Comments 120 Comments
    1. macsoldier's Avatar
      macsoldier -
      People sit here and bash apple for all this signal crap, you can do a million things right but one screw up (which has a fix, maybe not the best but a temporary solution). and it seems the world is after you. Apple in my mind is being punished for trying new things and being creative. Apple pushes the limits in technology to push product out and have been successful so far. I think Jobs made a great move, I look at it as another challenge for these companies to produce a better antenna for these smart phones. In return Apple is great at countering its challengers. Look at the Ipad and Microsoft announcing a better product and pretty much calling out Apple on the Ipad. Now Apple will counter with a better Ipad with better features. To summarize it up basically the callout of other smart phone companies creates more competition and forces better products to us.
    1. RICO_'s Avatar
      RICO_ -
      Quote Originally Posted by eg6motion View Post
      Really? You can't figure out why Apple is in the news more than any other phone manufacturers? Couldn't be the millions of products sold in a single week, the Hype around the yearly i-Product releases, the Media events they hold, the conferences, or overall stigma or one of the most popular phones on Earth? Jeez, why do they get so much attention.

      BTW, search for Droid X problems or Evo 4G problems and you'd be surprised at the results. Battery failure, screen failure, dropped calls, antenna fade via death-gripe (say it ain't so), lags, poor camera, slow activation, etc. But the spotlight is on Apple because it always is, problem or not, they generate Hype, that's their biggest company attribute. The more objective folks might notice that there is actually a "major" problem at every iPhone release too...
      Sounds like they brought it on themselves then. They're real quick to hold conferences and brag about their magnificent products, but when something goes wrong all of a sudden the media becomes the devil to them.

      They made themselves out to be a glorious innovative company to the world, so now they need to step up and take whatever comes to them....good or bad. And not try to hide the issue, because that's all this free case giveaway is....a band-aid fix so they can wash their hands of this.

      I don't recall anyone seeing a "warning" label inside their iPhone box that said the use of a case was mandatory to maintain signal strength.
    1. unison999's Avatar
      unison999 -
      Apple needs to fix this issue permanently and not bandaid with a bumper.
      I want a phone I do not have to put a cover on, the phone is designed to look good without a bumper. Even if they moved the antenna to inside of the phone, keeping the clean slim design is part of the reason why I like iPhone.
      This bumper is not acceptable and I believe it should not be acceptable to whomever that don't want it on their phone, keep complaining because it got you guys this far. Without complaints this temporary solution would not exist (per AppleDON'TCare bulletin). I returned my iPhone4, however my apps specifically for this phone is now as good as gone since I can not use any of it. I want my phone back but without this problem, I will keep complaining maybe Apple will do permanent solution so I can get my phone and apps back.

      BTW those people who keep telling people not to complain, don't you guys dare applying for a free bumper. Not only did you do nothing for it, you tried to stifle us from complaining about it therefore you do not deserve one. If you do apply for one you are a bigot AND quit telling people stop complaining.
    1. BBR123's Avatar
      BBR123 -
      in general it is extremely bad business practise to openly talk crap about a competitor, it comes off making you look childish, and brings your brand name down.

      the fact that jobs stooped to that level, brings apples credibility as a whole down.

      yes everyone that is like well its true, it may be true that other companies have similar issues, but i think the general outrage is that jobs took the low road. he did what you are taught year one in business pr and advertisement not to do. You don't point out a competitors flaws, you point out what your going to do to fix your product, and the benefits of your products over another. THAT IS ALL.
    1. eZStaR's Avatar
      eZStaR -
      Quote Originally Posted by mwr_allen View Post
      It's the consumers with nothing but hatred for successful companies like Apple that threw Steve Jobs under the bus with all this trash.

      I have held my iPhone 4 in all kinds of ways that restrict the signal and I haven't dropped any calls yet just to test if it did but normally I hold any mobile phone just like the guy does in the videos on the Apple website and not by trying to squeeze the life out of it, yes I saw a signal decrease but never dropped calls and guess what, the same thing with other mobile phones, the signal lowers but stays connected so I don't see how this makes the iPhone the culprit.

      Everyone who has a chip on their shoulder (sorry, a whole bag of chips) should just take what Apple is offering and stop whining like bloody children.

      GET OVER IT, IT'S A PHONE!!!!!!
      Agreed.

      Quote Originally Posted by macsoldier View Post
      People sit here and bash apple for all this signal crap, you can do a million things right but one screw up (which has a fix, maybe not the best but a temporary solution). and it seems the world is after you. Apple in my mind is being punished for trying new things and being creative. Apple pushes the limits in technology to push product out and have been successful so far. I think Jobs made a great move, I look at it as another challenge for these companies to produce a better antenna for these smart phones. In return Apple is great at countering its challengers. Look at the Ipad and Microsoft announcing a better product and pretty much calling out Apple on the Ipad. Now Apple will counter with a better Ipad with better features. To summarize it up basically the callout of other smart phone companies creates more competition and forces better products to us.
      Couldn't have said it better myself. Problem is those other phone companies (competition) also get their kicks by taking some features and looks off the iPhone itself. No phone company is original like the Apple and their iPhone. Only other company I can give props for is, Microsoft for having their own unique design of OS and their own features. I'm not sayings their OS is great, infact its looks quite annoying to use with all the tabs/tiles or whatever you want to call them. But its original.
    1. mikerlx's Avatar
      mikerlx -
      this is turning into a downward spiral of the iPhone however the Droid X is drama free lol
    1. unison999's Avatar
      unison999 -
      Quote Originally Posted by macsoldier View Post
      People sit here and bash apple for all this signal crap, you can do a million things right but one screw up (which has a fix, maybe not the best but a temporary solution). and it seems the world is after you. Apple in my mind is being punished for trying new things and being creative. Apple pushes the limits in technology to push product out and have been successful so far. I think Jobs made a great move, I look at it as another challenge for these companies to produce a better antenna for these smart phones. In return Apple is great at countering its challengers. Look at the Ipad and Microsoft announcing a better product and pretty much calling out Apple on the Ipad. Now Apple will counter with a better Ipad with better features. To summarize it up basically the callout of other smart phone companies creates more competition and forces better products to us.
      One screw up? Might want to do a quick search just in this website about iPhone4 problems. Off top of my head there was quite a few proximity sensor issues, some had USB port problem.

      Apple was great with customer service before it got big, that is how they got their customer loyalty. Quite a few of these people now lost faith because Apple became what it made fun of when it was small, a big corporate monster that do not care about their customers.

      Quote Originally Posted by mwr_allen View Post
      GET OVER IT, IT'S A PHONE!!!!!!
      Correction It is about $700 phone that does not work like a phone it is pretending to be. If you bought an iPad then thats fine, but this is iPhone not too much to ask for it to work right as a phone is it? Might as well change the name to iAntennagate, it is descriptive and exact name this phone deserve.
    1. Mrinfame's Avatar
      Mrinfame -
      Simple as this apple if u knew there was a design flaw u shoulda included it in you iPhone 4 presentation and said hey here is an innovative idea we put the antenna outside of the phone and you can't hold it this way so here is the piece of plastic we where supposed to put on it anyways I'm sure that there are some idiots out there who are like I got an antenna issue but hey I got iPhone 4 lol idiots get a phone cuz it's good not because it has a apple logo on it I'm waiting till al issues are resolved love the 3GS I can stick it in my butt without a bumper and still get good reception
    1. macsoldier's Avatar
      macsoldier -
      Apple can recover from this even if it does make them childish for calling out other companies. Once the holidays get here this will be a thing of the past. Childish or not it doesnt affect the whole line of Apple products, it only looks bad for Jobs. The ones working below him are what make APPLE who they are. Im not going to argue if they screwed up, because they did. I just think the rebound which in this type of business is a product to knock the socks off of competitors and make the demand happy. This now MAKES APPLE push the limits once again.
    1. Fenderbender's Avatar
      Fenderbender -
      Quote Originally Posted by whereswaldo View Post
      Apple's right, it is widespread. My phone came with a list of ways to hold it
      Which model phone by which manufacturer? Please post a link to a pdf of this list.

      Otherwise I'm calling BS.
    1. jacobthejokester's Avatar
      jacobthejokester -
      iPhone 4... The phone that changes everything... About antennas.
    1. RICO_'s Avatar
      RICO_ -
      IPhone 4 - This needs a change. Again.
    1. mwr_allen's Avatar
      mwr_allen -
      Quote Originally Posted by unison999 View Post
      Correction It is about $700 phone that does not work like a phone it is pretending to be. If you bought an iPad then thats fine, but this is iPhone not too much to ask for it to work right as a phone is it? Might as well change the name to iAntennagate, it is descriptive and exact name this phone deserve.
      Here we have a prime example of my earlier post, the children throwing their toys out of their prams and whinging.

      Just to clarify, do you actually have an iPhone 4? because your info says that you have iPhone on 1.1.4, if thats true then how the hell do you know what you are talking about? If you have the iPhone 4 then how much trouble are you having with it?

      Do me a favour, go and find another mobile phone (not an apple iPhone) and hold it with your hand covering all the back and sides and tell us all what happens and if nothing drops on the signal then we are all in your debt.

      Please can somebody post a poll to see exactly how many users of the iPhone 4 are having REAL problems with the signal and not just people jumping on the band wagon to bash Apple and also to see exactly how many users are happy with their iPhone 4.
    1. mortopher's Avatar
      mortopher -
      Quote Originally Posted by mwr_allen View Post
      Here we have a prime example of my earlier post, the children throwing their toys out of their prams and whinging.

      Just to clarify, do you actually have an iPhone 4? because your info says that you have iPhone on 1.1.4, if thats true then how the hell do you know what you are talking about? If you have the iPhone 4 then how much trouble are you having with it?

      Do me a favour, go and find another mobile phone (not an apple iPhone) and hold it with your hand covering all the back and sides and tell us all what happens and if nothing drops on the signal then we are all in your debt.
      And then do the same hackneyed experiment except this time cover the back and sides with a simple piece of duct tape and tell us what happens.
    1. bluexselvedge's Avatar
      bluexselvedge -
      he doesnt have one. he just likes to complain
    1. iMlac's Avatar
      iMlac -
      Apple was apple once, now it ain't!!! It's like I'm having a PC at home and unfortunately in my hands (wifi on my iphone stopped responding)!
    1. thedanks's Avatar
      thedanks -
      just let it go indiana.
    1. Doran's Avatar
      Doran -
      Quote Originally Posted by eZStaR View Post
      Their problems? The phones Apple pointed out have the same problems. Every one is bashing Apple for their problems but why not the other companies? And if you forget, only 1.7% users are having this problem, which is about 51,000, and thats because of the area they live in. Not such a big deal as people make it out to be.
      Actually it is .55% out of about 3M and that equates to about 16,500. I agree with you on this point and the people that are having the reception issue are in weak signal areas. I posted in an earlier thread stating that I wasn't having this problem, I was mistaken. There are some areas down here in the Southeast that have weak signal areas.

      The attack on Apple because of the FEW issues it has is rediculous. I challenge anyone to find a smartphone that DOESN'T have a problem. For a while there BB was at the top of the "crappy smartphone" tree.

      Apple has (ofcourse arquably) set the bar sense 2007 with the original iPhone, and boy did that phone have problems. Even without full Bluetooth, no MMS and a bunch of other features that a free phone would have, that iPhone sold like hotcakes.

      Bottom line is, every smartphone has problems, the good thing about the iPhone is, if it can be fixed by software then that software works on all iPhones across the board, that's not true for other manufacturers.
    1. unison999's Avatar
      unison999 -
      Quote Originally Posted by mwr_allen View Post
      Here we have a prime example of my earlier post, the children throwing their toys out of their prams and whinging.

      Just to clarify, do you actually have an iPhone 4? because your info says that you have iPhone on 1.1.4, if thats true then how the hell do you know what you are talking about? If you have the iPhone 4 then how much trouble are you having with it?

      Do me a favour, go and find another mobile phone (not an apple iPhone) and hold it with your hand covering all the back and sides and tell us all what happens and if nothing drops on the signal then we are all in your debt.

      Please can somebody post a poll to see exactly how many users of the iPhone 4 are having REAL problems with the signal and not just people jumping on the band wagon to bash Apple and also to see exactly how many users are happy with their iPhone 4.
      I did own one and I returned it because "bumper" solution is unacceptable, though I got my money back where is my money I spent on iPhone 4 apps? How am I getting that back?

      Without our complaints what would be Apple's solution to this reception problem? Exactly what Apple Care bulletin says a day after iPhone 4 came out? if you put it on a table sitting by itself and the bar does not drop, there is no issue. No free bumper to anyone. That is your answer to Apple's customer care if people did not "whine" about this, since this bumper is direct result of us "whining" you better not apply for one since you do not deserve one.

      If you do not like to read about reception issues, or how bumpers is not good enough solution perhaps you should stay out of threads that contain reception issues.

      BTW if you want a poll done it should have been done a long time ago, right when iPhone 4 came out. Many people that had problem with reception left iPhone 4, may not even put a vote in. So that poll would just be self serving if you do start one.


      Quote Originally Posted by Doran View Post
      Actually it is .55% out of about 3M and that equates to about 16,500. I agree with you on this point and the people that are having the reception issue are in weak signal area.
      Even Jobs do not believe that number when he said it, if the numbers is that small Consumer Reports would not bother with this test and leave their earlier recommendation. If the number were that small, Jobs would not bother with a press conference. If the numbers were that small there would not be a Apple Care bulletin telling customer service not to give out bumpers. If the numbers were that small, Jobs would just mail each of those 16500 people their bumpers.
      I wonder if the 0.55% includes customer turned away because customer service did the bulletin test where they put the phone on counter by itself if bar does not go down there is no issue. I would imagine just this would be more than that 0.55%.

      Oh! Let me remind you, Jobs admitted the faulty design. So in actuality everyone who owns iPhone 4 have this issue, just that you have not run into it.
    1. bignighttrain's Avatar
      bignighttrain -
      Apple did the correct thing by outing the other companies with similar issues. If droid would of had this issue with their smart phones it probably would of never been this big of an issue, but since it's apple the leading smartphone maker and best selling computer company people automatically get irate. Just think of all apple offers you, you can turn your iPhone in for any made up reason as long as your within your year contract just take it to an applestore or AT&T store for a free replacement. Plus my friend has the blackberry 9700 and when held the same way the iPhone 4 is held the signal drops but did they make a big deal out of it NO!!! Their will always be small bugs and issues when we the public get our hands on a new consumer product plus apple is giving away millions in free bumpers, no other phone maker I know of dose anything like that they just state that there is a recall on the phone.


      Personly I have had 1 droped call on my behalf on the iPhone 4.