• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • Samsung and HTC Respond to Apple's Antenna Allegations



    Last Friday, both Nokia and Research in Motion fired back at Apple in the immediate hours following Steve Jobs' press conference to mitigate the severity of the Death Grip, announce a free case program, and generalize the iPhone 4's antenna issues to the smartphone industry as a whole. As expected, the mobile phone makers that Apple called out did not respond favorably to the sweeping allegations made to the entire world.

    And today, both HTC and Samsung have responded to claims that their products have similar if not worse antenna and reception problems. The Wall Street Journal is where HTC turned to get their message across to everyone: poor reception and dropped calls due to improperly holding a phone aren't as widespread and universal as Apple made them appear to be. Hui-Meng Cheng, the company's CFO, said that "the reception problems are certainly not common among smartphones." Adding that Apple should correct its design flaws and leave competitors out of the argument, Cheng concluded that Apple "apparently didn't give operators enough time to test the phone."

    It should be noted, however, that Daring Fireball responded to HTC's statement Monday by reference a portion of HTC's instruction manual for the Droid Eris which clearly states (and punctuates with a photo) that the device shouldn't be touched or held over the part of the device where the antenna is housed. From the manual: "Avoiding contact with the antenna area when the phone is IN USE optimizes the antenna performance and the battery life."



    Samsung, meanwhile, also has a stake in this fight as Apple called out the Omnia II and pointed to analogous reception bugs. Samsung, however, wanted to make it clear in a statement today that the company simply "hasn't received significant customer feedback on any signal reduction issue for the Omnia II." The terse response from Samsung followed Apple's hands-on demonstration of the similarly "flawed" Omnia II last week.

    Apple, which has sold in excess of three million iPhone 4s since last month, will distribute free cases to every iPhone 4 customer through Sept. 30 - a move that Apple is obviously hoping will put the "Death Grip" issue to rest once and for all.

    Wall Street Journal
    Daring Fireball
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Samsung and HTC Respond to Apple's Antenna Allegations started by Michael Essany View original post
    Comments 120 Comments
    1. eg6motion's Avatar
      eg6motion -
      Apple's in the spotlight because it's the iPhone. Other phones do this and Job's wasn't the only one to point it out. He should have left the "Antenna" site down though, no need to defend your product by shifting the spotlight. It's fine if you want to inform your customers that it's normal, but your going to tear into your PR image by posting other phones on your site as a defense.
    1. justdan0227's Avatar
      justdan0227 -
      Quote Originally Posted by reanimationxp View Post
      Problem everyone fails to see is that Apple's external antenna design was radical and new - any moron could see it might be prone to conductivity or attenuation issues, moreso than competitors' phones.

      Apple is giving away free bumpers now, and people are still complaining. What if this had happened in a different order? What if iPhone 4 came with bumpers, and only the idiots that took them off were having issues? No complaints then, right? So what's the issue now?

      I do agree Jobs is an idiot for riling up the competition. Wasting time testing others' phones that clearly work fine. It's not hard to see what caused the problem here.
      I agree with what you said with the exception of "Wasting time testing others' phones that clearly work fine"

      The question has never been if the iPhone works or not. I have one and it works just fine. It was simply the display of the bars that is in question which was demonstrated to happen with all phones that use this similar technology.
    1. EddieLeonard's Avatar
      EddieLeonard -
      Quote Originally Posted by snoopyrph View Post
      You just don't get it do you? yes the design is radical and beautiful, that's why it appeal to most people. Although, it has flaw therefore need to fix it. If it was originally has a bumper than I doubt that many people even look at it. you might as well put it in your ziplock bag. For me I like the look and feel of it as well as functionalities, but to cover it which add some thickness to it, doesnt look as appealing. That's why Steve design the thinnest smartphone on the market. Well that doesn't hold true anymore with the bumper or should I said BUMMER
      once again it want that many people who complained in comparison to the total units sold

      ^PLEASE PEOPLE, TAKE NOTE OF THAT!^
    1. santacruzlocal's Avatar
      santacruzlocal -
      My jaw dropped when he did this, I love my iPhone but .... WOW
    1. pldtboy's Avatar
      pldtboy -
      Some or all Iphone4 should work even without this bumpers or case. And no, this is not a permanent fix if you're having reception and proximity sensor problems.
    1. EddieLeonard's Avatar
      EddieLeonard -
      Quote Originally Posted by pldtboy View Post
      Some or all Iphone4 should work even without this bumpers or case. And no, this is not a permanent fix if you're having reception and proximity sensor problems.
      I think Steve did say that the proximity sensor problems are going to be fixed in the next firmware update... But I could but wrong
    1. kambozza's Avatar
      kambozza -
      Anybody thought of why the deadline for the free bumpers is 30 Sep.? Methinks it is because they would have fixed the antenna hardware flaw by then and all orders shipping after Sep 30 wouldn't be affected by the death grip. Jobs DID hint at a possible hardware fix to the problem in his conference.
    1. RICO_'s Avatar
      RICO_ -
      But, but.....it's Apple. They can never be wrong. They have a $100million antenna testing facility that is useless if u don't give your engineers TIME to test the f**king component.

      Come on Steve. Did u really think you could bury this with a half-*** free case giveaway that people are also having problems with?

      Seriously!?!

      If this problem were as wide spread as you claim it is.....why is APPLE the only one on the news?

      You're just settling because u know people are still buying the damn phone and will continue to do so. You really don't give a damn about your consumers as long as the cash is flowing in do you?

      I hope the long-term implications of your lame actions during this whole ordeal come back to bite you big time square in your ***.

      Good day Sir!

      Quote Originally Posted by ALAN523 View Post
      @everyone
      yall making a huge deal. i have no problem with mine.
      Congratulations. Want a cookie?
    1. alirz's Avatar
      alirz -
      as hardcore of a use of an iphone i am, utilizing it to its max, jb and all they cool stuff that comes with it. I think i'll stick to my 3gs this year around and see what comes out in 11 months!
    1. kuhndsn's Avatar
      kuhndsn -
      Quote Originally Posted by pldtboy View Post
      Some or all Iphone4 should work even without this bumpers or case. And no, this is not a permanent fix if you're having reception and proximity sensor problems.
      People get off the stupid bumper issue. They came out with their fix. Either respect it and keep the phone or return the damn thing. As far as Apple throwing htc Nokia ect under the bus well I don't agree 100%. But when you read the 5 million posts on this site with alot of people claiming to be consumer advocates (read you will see them). Well in a sense Apple has just as much right.

      And yes people other phones have issues as well. Now I am by no means an APPLE fan boy. But I like everyone who bought a iPhone have the choice to keep it or move on. No since in being a freaking child and calling people names because the decision we made was to keep the phone. And for those that returned it.... Get off your high horse and find another product to complain about. Your arguments are not only old they are freaking stupid. You all asked for a fix if you don't like it make a decision.
    1. EddieLeonard's Avatar
      EddieLeonard -
      ^^couldn't have said it better my self
    1. snoopyrph's Avatar
      snoopyrph -
      Too many, that's why this thing is national headline. Other probably didn't how to test it right. You must hold it for atleast 30 sec at and place where you get 2 or 3 bars. You will see your bars will go down.
    1. sirwerd1's Avatar
      sirwerd1 -
      Daring Fireball is bringing up a TOTALLY irrelevant point. I have seen on MANY phones that you are not supposed to cover certain regions for optimal performance, but the difference with this is its not a death spot. Actually I've never has any problem covering the phones at those spots even though the manual says you should try to avoid it. iPhone 4's can't be held in a persons left hand. That's different.
    1. eg6motion's Avatar
      eg6motion -
      Quote Originally Posted by RICO_ View Post

      If this problem were as wide spread as you claim it is.....why is APPLE the only one on the news?
      Really? You can't figure out why Apple is in the news more than any other phone manufacturers? Couldn't be the millions of products sold in a single week, the Hype around the yearly i-Product releases, the Media events they hold, the conferences, or overall stigma or one of the most popular phones on Earth? Jeez, why do they get so much attention.

      BTW, search for Droid X problems or Evo 4G problems and you'd be surprised at the results. Battery failure, screen failure, dropped calls, antenna fade via death-gripe (say it ain't so), lags, poor camera, slow activation, etc. But the spotlight is on Apple because it always is, problem or not, they generate Hype, that's their biggest company attribute. The more objective folks might notice that there is actually a "major" problem at every iPhone release too...
    1. brotherbond007's Avatar
      brotherbond007 -
      Again, other phones do have the same problem. They even put that in writing. What bothers me is that people, bash Apple and Steve Jobs for stating the facts. Even if Apple decided to recall the iPhone 4 people would find a way to complain about that. He addressed the issue, he said that they aren't perfect. Wavied the restock fee, giving free bumpers, cases, etc..refunds. I didn't have to have Steve Jobs tell me that smartphone antenna's have issues. They always have and always will. No matter which one you buy. So if you don't like the little bar thing, live in a weak AT&T area..take it back and get your money before the 30 days. If not get over it. These other companies put what Jobs said in writing and on their websites. So why fuss about "you pointed your finger at me". If anything he gave them all FREE worldwide advertisements..
    1. Thailocalguy808's Avatar
      Thailocalguy808 -
      Apple just laid out proof to you all yet u people still want to keep bashing them if u don't like ur phone go return it and stfu ..... Go buy another smart phone that clearly has the same issues and see much how happier u will be Once again GET A LIFE STFU LoSERs
    1. eZStaR's Avatar
      eZStaR -
      Quote Originally Posted by mmurphmsu View Post
      Apple should have never brought other competitors products into the conference and just focused on theirs. They need to fix their problems before bashing others.
      Their problems? The phones Apple pointed out have the same problems. Every one is bashing Apple for their problems but why not the other companies? And if you forget, only 1.7% users are having this problem, which is about 51,000, and thats because of the area they live in. Not such a big deal as people make it out to be.
    1. mortopher's Avatar
      mortopher -
      Providing a workaround is not the same as fixing a problem.

      Yes all phones suffer from the same attenuation problems, but the external antenna exacerbates the issue on the iPhone 4. If it were simply the normal attenuation that plagues the entire industry then a bumper or even a piece of duct tape would not be able to fix the problem.
    1. mwr_allen's Avatar
      mwr_allen -
      It's the consumers with nothing but hatred for successful companies like Apple that threw Steve Jobs under the bus with all this trash.

      I have held my iPhone 4 in all kinds of ways that restrict the signal and I haven't dropped any calls yet just to test if it did but normally I hold any mobile phone just like the guy does in the videos on the Apple website and not by trying to squeeze the life out of it, yes I saw a signal decrease but never dropped calls and guess what, the same thing with other mobile phones, the signal lowers but stays connected so I don't see how this makes the iPhone the culprit.

      Everyone who has a chip on their shoulder (sorry, a whole bag of chips) should just take what Apple is offering and stop whining like bloody children.

      GET OVER IT, IT'S A PHONE!!!!!!
    1. delusion950's Avatar
      delusion950 -
      bumpers will not fix anything and death grip will not go away until fixed =) simple as that. cover ups will not do it as it will give people reason to complain.