• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • Skype and fring Go Toe-to-Toe


    The makers of the cross-platform communications app fring are calling Skype "cowards" and Skype is threatening to sue, as disputes between the two VoIP developers erupted into open warfare. The point of contention is fring's video chat feature, which allowed for Skype video calls over 3G, until Skype pulled the plug. Skype claims that the service is being blocked because fring breached their developer agreement, while fring is accusing Skype of being "afraid of open mobile communication."

    The fring app has enabled two-way video calling for some time, allowing Android and Symbian users to go face to face. The iPhone app let you see your cross-platform buddies, but chats were, of course, one way until the iPhone 4's front-facing camera. The fring app had allowed video calling using GoogleTalk, SIP, Twitter and Skype until iPhone 4 users calling their Skype contacts "stressed capacity" on fring's network. As a result, fring pulled the Skype add-on. They claim that when they attempted to restore connectivity after "expanding its network capacity," Skype blocked them. In an angry blog post, fring apologized to its user base "for the inconvenience Skype has caused you."

    Skype legal honcho Robert Miller shot back, saying it was fring's decision: "Fring made the decision to remove Skype functionality on its own," Miller wrote on the Skype blog. They did note that "Fring was using Skype software in a way it wasn’t designed to be used," claiming that this was "in breach of Skype’s API Terms of Use and End User License Agreement." So it could be that there is a bit more to the story than Skype is acknowledging.

    Skype is threatening to sue fring, nothing that "those developers that do not comply with our terms will be subject to legal enforcement," though it doesn't seem like fring is that interested in working with Skype in the future.

    Source: TechCrunch
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Skype and fring Go Toe-to-Toe started by Paul Daniel Ash View original post
    Comments 38 Comments
    1. vedavis's Avatar
      vedavis -
      Quote Originally Posted by whereswaldo View Post
      Go skype!
      +1

      I never really liked fring anyway...toooo slow.
    1. Luppin's Avatar
      Luppin -
      Quote Originally Posted by z3r01 View Post
      U can still use fring to fring video calling...but wait , I heard u say on other threads about not getting an iPhone 4....interesting change of heart
      If "u" are talking about me then you must be mistaken, I got my iPhone 4 on launch and was sold the second I saw the new design. Also, my girlfriend has a blackberry so she isn't really capable of fring to fring calling.
    1. Markanthony3211's Avatar
      Markanthony3211 -
      10+ Cool Points For The Picture lol
    1. awesomeSlayer's Avatar
      awesomeSlayer -
      The Most Failing Competition Award goes to:

      Skype and fring.
    1. allanes5's Avatar
      allanes5 -
      Sucks
    1. delizaza23's Avatar
      delizaza23 -
      skype is a w anker so expencive and no bluetooth support. fring is wa nker too no bluetooth support.
    1. mbeezy81's Avatar
      mbeezy81 -
      Quote Originally Posted by eg6motion View Post
      perhaps if skype would get off it's ***** and update their own iPhone app, this wouldn't be an issue
      My thoughts exactly!!!
    1. exNavy's Avatar
      exNavy -
      Please continue the petty bickering.
    1. tamaysz's Avatar
      tamaysz -
      Skype and Fring = Fail

      They both have faults, and now their users are ending up losing in the end.
    1. kuhndsn's Avatar
      kuhndsn -
      Skype...Fring... What ever.. They are not in bed with apple like ATT. It would be nice to use skype but it would be even better if I could use AT&T (which most already pay for) to call fringe skype or what ever. Now that would not only be cool but also make me feel like I'm getting my money worth as a customer...
    1. wvcachi's Avatar
      wvcachi -
      Quote Originally Posted by kuhndsn View Post
      Skype...Fring... What ever.. They are not in bed with apple like ATT. It would be nice to use skype but it would be even better if I could use AT&T (which most already pay for) to call fringe skype or what ever. Now that would not only be cool but also make me feel like I'm getting my money worth as a customer...
      Um...you can. I'm on the cheapest AT&T voice plan, using my grandfathered unlimited data plan to VoIP all my calls. Working great so far.

      Now if you're on the 2GB limited data plan, that might cause some problems...
    1. kuhndsn's Avatar
      kuhndsn -
      Quote Originally Posted by wvcachi View Post
      Um...you can. I'm on the cheapest AT&T voice plan, using my grandfathered unlimited data plan to VoIP all my calls. Working great so far.

      Now if you're on the 2GB limited data plan, that might cause some problems...
      I have unlimited and can't seem to get a mobile to skype number voice call to work. How did you do it?
    1. wvcachi's Avatar
      wvcachi -
      Quote Originally Posted by kuhndsn View Post
      I have unlimited and can't seem to get a mobile to skype number voice call to work. How did you do it?
      Sorry, but I'm not sure what you mean by "mobile to skype number voice call" . . . Since Skype isn't yet iOS 4-friendly, I'd recommend going a different route for VoIP.

      Here's a thread I did on Google Voice/Gizmo5 on iOS 4. There are other options, but that's what I'm doing.

      Free Google Voice on iOS 4 w/o using minutes

      If you still want to use Skype and you're jailbroken, just get Backgrounder and a quality multitasking app in Cydia, and buy a Skype-to-mobile plan + Skype number, and you'll be set.

      The Skype plan + Skype number comes out to about $8/month (until their "calling over 3G" charges kick in...).
    1. kuhndsn's Avatar
      kuhndsn -
      Quote Originally Posted by wvcachi View Post
      Sorry, but I'm not sure what you mean by "mobile to skype number voice call" . . . Since Skype isn't yet iOS 4-friendly, I'd recommend going a different route for VoIP.

      Here's a thread I did on Google Voice/Gizmo5 on iOS 4. There are other options, but that's what I'm doing.

      Free Google Voice on iOS 4 w/o using minutes

      If you still want to use Skype and you're jailbroken, just get Backgrounder and a quality multitasking app in Cydia, and buy a Skype-to-mobile plan + Skype number, and you'll be set.

      The Skype plan + Skype number comes out to about $8/month (until their "calling over 3G" charges kick in...).
      Thanks for the tip but I was meaning a cell to voip (someones skype account) and use FaceTime. This use of FaceTime I'm sure will have to wait until everyone plays nice in the tech world of biz or the JB comes out along with savvy programers or apple writes their code to broadcast video in multiple video formats for all software to understand/play.
    1. wvcachi's Avatar
      wvcachi -
      Ohhhh.. I gotcha. Yeah, you were right - we can't do that hehehe
    1. TwinSouls's Avatar
      TwinSouls -
      Why dont they just put out a QIK app like they did on EVO for Video Chat? Anyone?
    1. QuinnNebula's Avatar
      QuinnNebula -
      skype is better...... always has and always will????
    1. Xtremeiphone's Avatar
      Xtremeiphone -
      fring doesnt work that well. nothing tops facetime