There are reports today that one iPhone 4 user suffered minor burns following a USB port "catching fire." Unlike past instances of exploding or flame-throwing iPhones (at least that's what some headlines would have you believe), this situation appears even more isolated than previous accounts of dangerous iPhone-related mishaps.
To be clear, however, some reports and headlines regarding this situation have been greatly exaggerated. That is, to say the iPhone 4 burst into flames would be patently false. And there is no reason (at least at this time) to think that widespread accounts of similar occurrences will be forthcoming as it pertains to the iPhone 4.
According to BGR:
The brand new iPhone 4 caught on fire while being hooked up to a computer using the Apple USB cable that accompanied the device.
What we know for sure is that USB port in question was so overheated that it "began to burn" and consequently melted the plug on the iPhone's connector cord. On physical contact, the surface mildly burned the iPhone 4 owner's hand - much like the way touching a hot pan out of the oven would do some minor damage to an unprotected finger tip.
In recent years, there have been many accounts of iDevices overheating and becoming physically uncomfortable to the touch. And while battery recalls and faulty components have, on occasion, contributed to these issues, most savvy gadget users understand that devices - when used at high intensity for prolonged periods of time - will get hot. Sometimes very hot. At that point, it's always best to give the iPhone, or iPod, or iWhataver a rest to let the thing cool off. Apart from filing that already-ingrained lesson into our universal common sense folder, there's not much to be gleaned from this particular account - although some will naturally sensationalize the headline. After all, it is "hot" news.
Image via BGR